Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter tyres "Fit 4"

Poster: A snowHead
We have not had any threads about winter tyres for a day or two
Video is a good demo of why you shouldn't try to get away with just fitting two

http://youtube.com/v/2ObVLNHk-i4
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very convincing - and some nice Canadian French!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thought I would give this a bump before the driving to the Alps and winter tyres questions start coming in
We did try Mrs G car with just two winter tyres on the front last winter but soon went and got them for the rear
They will be going back on at start of November
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
seems to be plenty of snow tyres around now, after the dearth last year. We might need two new Vredestein Snowtracs. They're remarkably more effective when new. But it's too soon to think about winter tyres; I'm still in summer mode!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ive started thinking about skiing again
Ive not even been lurking much on snowheads since March but the need seems to be returning
Away to the alps in a week but no skiing planned
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This time last year I thought about snow tyres (and asked questions here, and got very helpful answers). By the time I decided to buy the prices had gone up and there weren't any left in UK so I had to order from Germany. Last October I was told there wouldn't be any UK deliveries until next winter, meaning 2011!!
It just shows you can't be too early getting ready for the snow.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tafflondon, Bought my new set 3 weeks ago. Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

you can't be too early getting ready for the snow

last year we spent some time in the Alps in October and the morning we were due to leave we had 8 inches of snow. There were no snowploughs about - a local friend told us they are never prepared for the first big fall of the year. We were still on summer tyres and I had to cobble together a set of chains which didn't really fit.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The ones I got last year were from MyTyres who operate from Germany
I ordered them with wheels on a Monday night and they were delivered to my work on the Friday pm
Mrs Gs car runs on them all winter which has been worthwhile the last couple of years
We tend to keep cars long term so its worth having the second set of rims and over a few years the costs are minimal as your are not wearing the summer tyres when they are off the car
The winter tyres are supposed to be better in cold conditions generally (below +7c) but its difficult to judge that in normal day to day use

ps We dont drive to the alps so that's not part of the reason I fit them
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
what if you use winter tyres all year round ? are they safe in summer or is the issue that they are noisey and simple wear out quicker ?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rayscoops wrote:
what if you use winter tyres all year round ? are they safe in summer or is the issue that they are noisey and simple wear out quicker ?

Softer compound so it will wear rapid also as they will stick to road surface considerably more the fuel consumption will be vast as will the wear on steering components.
That is one of the biggest problems running winter tyres in UK as the temp tends to fluctuate between extreme temps whereas in alpine or artic regions it would stay consistently colder over winter.
snow report
 cran
cran
I've been using winter tyres for the last 3 years and once you have bought 4 steel rims and the first set of winter tyres it saves money as the winter tyres are cheaper. (maybe depends on your normal wheel/tyre size, but they are much cheaper on mine).

They make a big difference, and so far (with 2wd) we haven't needed to use the chains very often, even up some fairly steep snow covered tracks.

Just remember not to exceed the speed rating as it will probably be lower than your normal tyres... which is legal, but you are supposed to put a sticker by the speedo with the max speed rating.

Is probably a good idea as otherwise I might forget and go faster than 115mph 185km/h when I have the winter tyres on... rolling eyes
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Softer compound so it will wear rapid also as they will stick to road surface considerably more the fuel consumption will be vast as will the wear on steering components.

Hmm. Not sure that that's always the case - some well-informed contributors to SHs have suggested otherwise. Maybe it depends on what kind of tyres they are.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DAVE 2227 wrote:

That is one of the biggest problems running winter tyres in UK as the temp tends to fluctuate between extreme temps whereas in alpine or artic regions it would stay consistently colder over winter.

Slightly more fuel consumption yes
No reason for more ware on steering components
Winter tyres work better than standard tyres at below +7c which covers a lot of the winter in a lot of uk

Im not advocating everyone changes to winter tyres in uk
We have one car with winter tyres and one that is leased so not able to have it changed over to winter tyres
I know which I prefer to drive in cold weather not just when there is snow and for where we are its worth the hassle
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Agree with Garfield, disadvantages of winter tyres in summer are small compared with advantages in winter. Some large Swiss companies just stick to winter tyres all year round. There may be a slight increase in fuel consumption, but certainly not vast.
snow conditions
Main disadvantage of using winter tires in summer is, that you need to change them before next winter comes around. Run them one summer and they are good to throw away, since they won't do anything in winter anymore.
And I don't care if someone will be offended or not, but listening advices about winter tires from Brits is most likely not best thing you can do... let's just all remember those 3cm of snow you got last winter and 90% of island was closed for weeks Wink
latest report
primoz, Just because we were born or live in a fairly temperate country doesn't mean that a fair few of us haven't got a decent amount of experience in driving in snow and ice. The reason Britain gets fooked when it snows is the number of vehicles and/or drivers that aren't cut out for snow so the roads get clogged. Last winter this included many Eastern European plated trucks that clogged the M25 on the slightest incline wink
snow report
 cran
cran
primoz wrote:
And I don't care if someone will be offended or not, but listening advices about winter tires from Brits is most likely not best thing you can do... let's just all remember those 3cm of snow you got last winter and 90% of island was closed for weeks Wink

I doubt anyone will be offended, but this is a ski forum and so the advice is for people driving to the Alps, not for buying tyres for driving around the M25.
snow conditions
fatbob, truck are whole different story... unfortunately anywhere in Europe. If it would be up to me, every single one, which turns all over the road, blocking it for hours, would be confiscated. Then they might learn to put proper tires on... or stay on parking until roads are clean.

Considering pretty much every single thread here which comes at least close to winter tires, I have my own opinion about this, and this what was happening last winter in UK pretty much shows I'm right. Even if you don't get meters of snow, winter tires should still be on. With rain and (or) low temperatures (and you have that) winter tires are a whole lot safer then summer tires.
Does set of winter tires really cost much? If you consider your life which they might save... not at all. If you consider just price of tires... I still don't see them all that expensive. This year I will need new ones, and they will be around 350-400eur (for 4). Considering I'm using them about 2-3 seasons (not because they lose profile, but because after 3 years they are so hard, they lose almost all grip), that's about 100eur/year (plus around 100eur/year for summer tires). If I would be using single tires, I would most likely change them half earlier (or every year, if I would be using only winter tires all year around). This would be on the end at least as expensive, then having separate set of winter tires.
Now I agree that 400eur for tires is not all that much, and some of you have cars where tires are 2000-3000eur. But thing is, those tires don't go on 20.000eur car, but on 100.000eur car. So in my mind there are only two chances... one... that 2000eur for tires doesn't mean much to you, if you had 100.000eur for car. Or two... that you don't have 2000eur since you spent all for car. Well in this case... get car which you can afford and which you can maintain... even if won't make your neighbors jealous.
And last thing... as long as I don't see people who think winter tires are useless on roads where I'm driving, I really don't care if anyone of them is using them or not. They can do whatever they want.
snow report
cran wrote:
primoz wrote:

I doubt anyone will be offended, but this is a ski forum and so the advice is for people driving to the Alps, not for buying tyres for driving around the M25.

Relevant if you are driving to Scotland to ski as well rolling eyes made a difference last winter anyway
ski holidays
Winter Tyres in Summer compared to Summer Tyres:

Reduced Grip
Increased wear rate
Noisier

All of the above disadvantages are slight and are nothing compared to the disadvantages of running Summer Tyres in Winter.

If you only want to fit one set of tyres all year around, fit Winter ones.
ski holidays
If you are going to buy winter tyres buy them before October. From first hand experience the UK runs out of popular sizes by mid October.
www.micheldever.co.uk not only matched the internet price (including fitting valves balance and disposal) but reserved the tyres for me until I could get to them, a week or so later by then they had almost run out!
Amongst other things they have the Hampshire Police contract and all their Traffic cars were being fitted with winter tyres (Mainly BMW's!) wink
snow conditions
having seen several BMW's in the snow, i would think winter tyres are a requirement even when there is a heavy frost
snow report
I run 500 bhp Estate car and would confirm the following:

The reduction in summer grip for winter tyres is negligible

The increase in wear is also negligible

I can go anywhere in winter with them on, which really I shouldn't be able to do

The increase in noise is dependent on the tyres you get!

I use Vredestein wintrac exteme's and leave them on all year round now.

snow report
We've got winter tyres on the family wagon...an S-Max.

Initially bought them for a trip to Switzerland last February but they were invaluable in the snow and ice last Christmas. Car handled brilliantly even going up the notorious Birdlip hill on the A417 near Cheltenham. We were the only car going up in about 4 inches of snow past rows of abandoned BMWs. Mercedes and other posh cars (including pretend 4x4s). We even managed an emergency stop once and the car reacted as if it was on rails.

We take ours off around April and store them in the garage for next winter. They were so successful that I am contemplating a set for my Ka too...although that was also brilliant in the winter as it floated on the snow, has no rear end to use and was driven sensibly.

Invest in some...but order them now so that you can drive smugly past the queues at Kwik Fit!
snow report
Chattonmill wrote:
I run 500 bhp Estate car and would confirm the following:

The reduction in summer grip for winter tyres is negligible

The increase in wear is also negligible

I can go anywhere in winter with them on, which really I shouldn't be able to do

The increase in noise is dependent on the tyres you get!

I use Vredestein wintrac exteme's and leave them on all year round now.

Interesting, my car is needing a new set of rubber and you have got me thinking. How many miles do you get out of your Vredestein's? A replacement set of tyres for my car is going to cost £1000ish (if I replace like for like) so a set of winter tyres that are ok in summer sounds fantastic.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
willow 15, They are what they say on the tin winter tyres you put them on in November and take them of in March. There for when the average temp is 7 degrees c or bellow
snow conditions
Quote:

A replacement set of tyres for my car is going to cost £1000ish

Shocked For just £14 more I could buy 4 sets of Vredestein Wintracs for my car (ie 16 tyres), delivery included. Few extra quid for fitting.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chattonmill, Much more snow than in your picture and you wouldn't be going anywhere no matter what tyres, the lack of ground clearance would be the issue.
snow conditions
Time for a shovel - as essential as winter tyres, sometimes. wink
snow report
Spyderman, True, that was new years day, we woke up and decided to scarper!
The car does have adjustable suspension, so I can raise it slightly, that said, there were a few points on the farm track where I felt the car floating on the undertray!
willow 15, I get about 15000 miles, but all on country roads round Northumberland.
snow conditions
Garfield, thanks for the nudge, 4 Vredsteins being delivered this week from Mytyres.co.uk
snow report
Spyderman wrote:
Winter Tyres in Summer compared to Summer Tyres:

If you only want to fit one set of tyres all year around, fit Winter ones.

Alternatively, fit all weathers like Vredestein Quatrac3.
I used them on my old Mondeo 4 x 4 all year.
No noise, wear or consumtion issues and very good performance.
The Nokian WR G2 on the current Jag X AWD have a similar tread pattern and perform just as well although I am using my summer wheels at the mo just to get the wear out of the tyres that came with the car so I can't yet comment on all year wear. They are definitely quieter than the summer tyres but then again, they are higher profile and on inch smaller rims, so they should be.
If I could only afford one set of wheels I would definitely fit all weathers just to be able to move more safely in the winter. The same philosophy has always had me buying four wheel drive family cars.

PS, Both tyres have the mountain and snowflake symbols.
snow conditions
Quote:

From my experience this is rubbish. The winter tyres have been left on all year this year:
1) cos the fronts were getting a bit thin as winter tyres so i wanted to get as much use out of them before replacing with new this year
2) couldn't be bothered changing the rears as I nevr see much wear on rears compared to the front

On fuel economy, I take mileage and fuel used every time i fill up and keep the fuel economy in a spreadsheet. There is no noticeable change in the fuel economy from winter or summer tyre use. I've done this for every car I've owned and have never noticed a difference. There is more variation from how busy the roads are - ie how bad the jams are when getting into work in the morning.

If i remember I will try doing some stats on the data and see if that pulls out any small differences that are not obvious from looking and the data by eye.
snow conditions
elj221c, I use the Nokian's on a Forester 2.5 and they handle pretty damn well during the summer. No problems with grip... but you don't half notice the difference with them in the snow and heavy rain.... love them as an all year choice.
ski holidays
 cran
cran
The only problem with using mine in the summer is the speed rating.

Not that I often exceed the T rating for day to day driving, but my wider summer performance tyres do grip better in the dry/wet than the winter tyres when I'm having fun (e.g. a track day or an autobahn)
latest report
CEM

You weren't thinking about having to push my BMW out of the Bicester car park were you?
You will be relieved to hear that I now have 4WD Volvo for my next trip for boot tuning.
Of course I will need further boot tuning.

Winter tyres to follow but a small dilemma. The car currently has all season low profile
tyres on 17" rims. If I buy a second set of wheels, 16" rims would give me a bigger selection
of not so low profile winter tyres whilst maintaining rolling diameter. Anyone have any
thoughts on this?
latest report
How many people here get the most out of there skis, and how many people get to use an XYZ rating on their tyres. Many people will bellow their ski/driving prowess but I would suggest the marketing people are winning. For F*&^ sake if anyone can get 15000k out of a winter tyre with 500bhp all year round, good on them. I am going to try with a masssive estste car and half the bhp. I will look out for you Chattonmill this season (at yad moss, etc) and give you a race down the Tyne Valley when we start getting snow in November.
snow report
stiffdrink wrote:
Winter tyres to follow but a small dilemma. The car currently has all season low profile
tyres on 17" rims. If I buy a second set of wheels, 16" rims would give me a bigger selection
of not so low profile winter tyres whilst maintaining rolling diameter. Anyone have any
thoughts on this?

Changing tyre wheel size if possible (due to brake calipers etc) should involve informing the insurance company. If under warranty the change may invalidate the t and c's. (I had an ongoing debate with Jaguar a while ago on simply using different tyres!) Smaller wheels will of course mean the speedometer is wrong, although that is open to date with electonic speedo's working off the crankshaft.(?)
Probably simpler to speak to those nice people at Micheldever http://www.protyre.co.uk/outletsdesc.aspx?id=11049 who will supply a low profile winter tyre at a sensible price.
ski holidays
stiffdrink wrote:
thoughts on this?

Incidentally my summer wheels are 17" while the winter wheels are 16". The tyres have also the same diameter so there is only a slight difference in the speedo reading. Winter tyres normally have a higher profile and are narrower than summer tyres.

Give me all the cars details (year, engine size, model, petrol or diesel, estate or saloon, 2WD/4WD, top speed / speed rating of summer tyres etc) and I'll try to find out which winter tyres the Austrians would put on it over here.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy