Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car hire with Winter Tyres

Poster: A snowHead
How much should I expect add on to the basic car hire cost to allow me to legally drive into Austria (from Germany) with winter tyres on?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
micksup, Have you priced up the options with the online agents (Holiday Autos/Avis etc)? I have seen packages available to purchase at time of rental, payable per day.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
micksup, We hired through Holiday Autos and they got us a car through Budget, as we picked up from Geneva Airport they have snow tyres as standard. We paid about £300 for an estate for 10 days.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hired a class B car through Holiday Autos (Munich airport), which didn't have winter tires. They offered us to hire a bigger car that had winter tires. Additional cost - 60 euros (for a week). Grand total - 250 euros. Seems to me that larger cars have winter tires while smaller ones do not.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snow tyres ought to be standard if you're hiring in Southern Germany, irrespective of the size of the car. Don't know anything about the costs, but insist on snow tyres even if only travelling in Germany - your insurance company will take a very dim view if you hit something and don't have them fitted.

It is a legal requirement to carry snowchains if driving in Austria in winter - make sure your hire car has them and they show you how to put them on.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
micksup wrote:
How much should I expect add on to the basic car hire cost to allow me to legally drive into Austria (from Germany) with winter tyres on?

Hey Chap... are you going on a tour opperator holiday?... if so.. it would be worth speaking to your tour opp and finding out if they have any deals going with car hire firms in europe.. i know that there are a fair few companies that do .. so speak to the booking agent and see if you can get a deal that way... However if you are self-driving i am afraid you are prob going to have to foot the bill yourself...However.. a lot of hire firms in the Alpine regions should as standard at least come with quick fit snowchains (i am speaking for europe here) At the end of the day it all depend on how long you are going to be out there for.

Spread the Love

felicity
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
austin7 wrote:
Snow tyres ought to be standard if you're hiring in Southern Germany, irrespective of the size of the car. Don't know anything about the costs, but insist on snow tyres even if only travelling in Germany - your insurance company will take a very dim view if you hit something and don't have them fitted.

It is a legal requirement to carry snow chains if driving in Austria in winter - make sure your hire car has them and they show you how to put them on.

I don't believe that's true, you're not required to have snow chains in any country in Europe to the best of my knowledge (or ADAC or the TCS who I've asked about this in the past). There are individual routes where snow chains are obligatory but no general requirement, for example, to have snow chains for driving down the autobahn.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Snow tyres ought to be standard" etc, they probably should be but I'm aware of any compulsion for the hire companies to do so. It might be better to ask.

Most people living here do not have snow chains, they rely on winter tyres and a guy to come along in a snow plough. It's not such a bad plan really Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
micksup, If you hire your car through Holiday Autos you can redeem your tesco vouchers for Deals = 4 x voucher value and save even more £££'s. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
not entirely related to the original question but for those of you who use Holiday Auto's - read the small print of the insurance details. On the occasions I have used them (approx 15 times in 2003 and another 15 times in 2004 at Geneva, Nice and Knock in Ireland) it turned out they don't insure the windows, doors, roof, tyres, wheels or underside of the car. Even if you pay the CDW these are still not insured. I'm personally not comfortable with this so have not used them since.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
nightshift, I'm sure I read somewhere that most if not all hire companies exclude this. I may be wrong.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Helen Beaumont, possibly. I'm not quite sure. I've since used National and Avis and their insurances were better. It was more expensive but I guess it comes down to your personal feeling on risk versus cost. When I'm in a skiing resort I tend to be more risk averse and therefore fully insure because you tend to see more minor dings where people slide on the ice etc.... but in a summer destination I'm less so. I'll probably have this proved horrible wrong to me and write a car off in a summer resort now but here's hoping I don't!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helen Beaumont wrote:
nightshift, I'm sure I read somewhere that most if not all hire companies exclude this. I may be wrong.

That's my impression as well, I once got charged for a tyre by Sixt. All I can say is it's well worth trying to be their tyre provider if that's what they're paying Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm a very naughty boy and got caught speeding this winter in Austria (only just over a very low speed limit in a village, the sun was in my eyes etc - more excuses available on request wink ). The police checked my documents and also looked for a warning triangle and first aid kit. They didn't ask about snow chains and I know that not everyone carries them. The police will also look for a yellow luminous jacket now - new rule that has been introduced this summer.
The Mrs who's lived here for a few decades tells me the insurance may not pay out if you have a winter accident on summer tyres.
I have been required to use snow chains on certain roads.

To be honest winter tyres should be standard for South Germany in my view- make sure you state the car should have winter tyres included in the price (in writing if poss).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB wrote:
The police will also look for a yellow luminous jacket now - new rule that has been introduced this summer.

It's European wide I think, even here in Switzerland. Anyone driving should have one? In fact, is it not the case in the UK as well or will shortly be? (according to the packaging on the couple we just bought anyway)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ise wrote:
DB wrote:
The police will also look for a yellow luminous jacket now - new rule that has been introduced this summer.

It's European wide I think, even here in Switzerland. Anyone driving should have one? In fact, is it not the case in the UK as well or will shortly be? (according to the packaging on the couple we just bought anyway)

If that is the case it has been kept very quite over here!
Does anyone know if this is applicable in France for 2006 ?
ski holidays
We noticed there was one in our hire car last week (never been one before).
snow report
I thought it was France as well, all the EU in fact. We bought a couple for 10chf a go, seems like a good thing to have in the car really.
latest report
Some of you could probably get away with using those flourescent one pieces instead wink
latest report
DB, snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy