Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First time buyer - these sound ok?

Poster: A snowHead
Elizabeth B, As a related point of interest, I must admit I do buy from Ellis Brigham despite their not being the cheapest. The reason is they're conveniently situated in MK, they're often happy to chat and I glean all sorts of advice/info, I trust the advice of a few of their staff who seem sensible and have been seasonaires/instructors(not top qualified)/coaches/ski testers and last but not least I sometimes borrow their demo skis. I think paying the premium then is just fair dos.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
slikedges, I'd agree that good service is often worth paying a bit extra for...especially if you need advice. OTOH, if you know exactly what you want, then go with the cheapest!!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
EmmaRen wrote:
We were looking at Salomon Performa 7 boots at min

Marc's dead right, buy boots & rent skis.

However, don't get hung up about what boots to get as a decent fitter will select the correct boot for your foot shape & ability etc.

Replacement footbeds are also a good idea, either the premoulded type or custom moulded, again the fitter will advise you.

Certainly do not choose boots buy their colour Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Unless the rest of your equipment is black. wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
EmmaRen, if you're still reading and want yet another tuppence'orth...

If you're there for two weeks (lucky people) then you have time to hire boots & skis of different sorts and make a considered judgement. I agree, buy boots not skis. I am firmly convinced that buying skis is not economically sensible unless you ski more than 2 weeks a year (although regular sessions locally do make a difference. But is Sheffield plastic? That's not generally good for ski bases). Anyway, you'll grow out of the skis before you get your money's worth. Boots are a different matter, I find that mine indicate a need for replacement by smell rather than anything else.

A friend of mine had to rush purchase boots in Whistler a couple of years ago (actually, another mate had done so the year before). Not only did they get good deals they are still delighted with the advice they received and the kit they bought.

Re; BA luggage. I've done Vancouver twice with skis (in ski bag), boots (in hand luggage) and a large, heavy case. Not a blink of an eyelid from the check in crew. So I wouldn't worry unless you carry egregious amounts of clothes.

Also, if you need to buy thermals, fleeces, etc. in fact any kit at all, I found Canada very cheap indeed - partially driven by £/CAD exchange rates but there are some pretty cool local manufacturers (sadly not Arc'teryx any more) who do great gear at great prices.

Have a wicked time (and if you want an extra special, if expensive, lunch on the hill, go to Christine's on Blackcomb Mtn.)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
David Murdoch wrote:
egregious

Are you local?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kramer, ??? Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
EmmaRen
When I started skiing 3 years ago I wanted all the gear straight away. I bought a pair of boots in the UK and they were awful to ski in. So, 4 pairs later, I finally have some that fit. Take your time and buy in resort. If they aren't comfortable you can take them back.
My best advice would be to have lessons, have lessons and have some more lessons.
When you've done a couple of weeks skiing, buy yourself some skis. You get used to your own skis and you can make sure that they are regularly tuned.
Lastly, if you're not already, then get fit ! You need to take exercise that gives you stamina. If you hate the gym (like me) then go cycling or hiking.
HTH Erica
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
erica2004 wrote:

My best advice would be to have lessons, have lessons and have some more lessons.

doh.. that's what I should have posted. Every pound spent on a lessons is lifetime investment, kit's just stuff cluttering the house up.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ise wrote:

kit's just stuff cluttering the house up.

You can stare at it/stroke it/play with it all summer long though Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowbunny, of course you can, but you don't need skis and ski boots to do that.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
richmond, Shocked So that's the problem
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Murdoch, it's a quote from League of Gentleman. The word egregious has special meaning for fans of the show, as does the question "are you local?"
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kramer, OK, I don't get it quite, but my local ski shop is a local shop for local skiers. Does that help?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David Murdoch, you ski locally in Chelsea ? Very Happy Or, do you mean it's a local shop for locals who ski ? Very Happy
snow report
ise wrote:
David Murdoch, you ski locally in Chelsea ? Very Happy Or, do you mean it's a local shop for locals who ski ? Very Happy

Well, since Roman Abramovic owns the local football club, it has been referred to as Chelski. Maybe there's something in that...
latest report
EmmaRen, I've been to Whistler a few times and when I've rented out equipment I found it very good. I chose the skis I ski on now after I hired some there.

They get new equipment into the rental shops every season so you can test out all the skis you might like to buy, before you decide what you enjoy skiing on. It's amazing how different they all feel when you try them out.

I'd recommend buying boots (seeing as you're a beginner) _only_ if the boots you hire are uncomfortable. That's because it can take a whole holiday or longer to get the boots you buy to be comfortable. Don't buy boots just because they're on sale. If you go to Snow Covers for instance (in Whistler Marketplace), they will recommend a boot that is right for the shape of your foot and how good a skier you are (and they'll carry on fixing your boots for you until you're happy with them).

I've got a big snowboard bag with wheels from Snow and Rock to carry my skis in. I stick my ski boots in with my normal luggage and put lots of clothes in the snowboard bag to help protect my skis from getting bashed.

So where are you staying in Whistler Emma? (I reckon you're going to say the Westin!) Very Happy
We're going to go to Whistler again this coming season. I'm not sure when though. Harmony horseshoe 6 is calling me... snowHead

PS Try Ski Esprit 3/4 day lessons they do if you're going to take lessons. They're really good fun.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy