Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calories Burnt on the Snow

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
There is almost exactly the same thread on a bike forum about how many calories we use DH mountain biking in a day around Morzine. Most peoples estimates are way off the mark and really overestimate how many they are using. As a starter you need to work out your own calorie usage. ( livestrong.com have some useful tools for this) Im 6 feet tall 12stone 9 and need about 2200 calories just to maintain my weight on a pretty sedentary day .HR monitors are pretty useless to determine calorie usage and the only sure fire way is to measure power. This is going to be very difficult on skis however from my experieince of using power metres on bikes for intense hour periods and equating that to skiing I would say a good competent red run cruiser pushing hard into their carves ( of similmar build to me ) would struggle to burn more than 200 calories an hour. a beginner side stepping and moving around would possibly nearer 275-300.
so go easy on the mutzig !
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Power meters measure power produced but if the engine and gears (heart & muscles) are less efficient it's going to burn more fuel. Skiers with good technique / balance burn less than the less skilled too. 200 cals an hour does sound more realistic though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A quick google found this ....

Quote:

Question: How Accurate are the Calorie Counts on Treadmills?
I like to track my calories burned while running. Can I rely on the calorie counts on the treadmill at my gym?

Answer: If you enter your weight before you start your treadmill run, the calories burned count is really just a rough estimate and will never be completely accurate. Cardio machines such as treadmills use standard formulas to figure out the amount of calories burned. But the calculations don't take into account important factors other than weight, such as body fat percentage and fitness level.
For example, if a 160-pound woman with 35% body fat and a 160-pound woman with 20% body fat are both running at a 10:00/mile pace, the treadmill will display the same amount of calories burned. However, the woman with the lower body fat and more muscle mass is actually burning more calories.

Treadmills also don't take your form and running efficiency into account. New runners will usually burn more calories than more experienced runners running the same pace and distance. Why? The beginner's inefficient side to side movement and bouncing up and down expends more energy than the experienced runner's efficient stride.

Some reports suggest that treadmills and other cardio machines actually overestimate calories burned by up to 15% to 20%. So it's important that you take the calories burned readings with a grain of salt. It's fine to use the numbers as a benchmark for your runs, but don't plan on consuming additional calories based on that number. That's an easy way to start gaining weight, despite your exercise efforts. If you really want to get a better idea of how many calories you're burning during your runs, try using a heart rate monitor. They're usually more accurate than cardio machines.

http://running.about.com/od/treadmillrunning/f/treadmillcaloriecounter.htm
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I know the gym machines aren't great for accuracy, but when I go there I always warm up for 15 mins at a fairly low level, with increasing resistance every five minutes. It's enough just to get a sweat starting and burns about 180 cals, which would translate to 720 an hour. That is a fairly easy/steady regime.

If I really give it some for an hour - pools of sweat on floor etc. - I can only increase that to about 900 cals per hour.

As such I'd say a few hours off piste could well keep up to 600 an hour.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I usually put on 7lb during a skiing holiday. I drink every day as opposed to only at the weekends, I eat a full meal for lunch and dinner and have cake and snacks. I deny myself nothing. If I wasn't skiing I'd probably put on about 12lb if I ate & drnak that much - does that mean I lose 5lb when skiing? Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm pretty sure that a dietician & sports nutritionist who lectured on a BASI common theory course said that the average recreational skier will burn around an extra 800 calories per day whilst skiing. Obviously this depends on metabolism, level of activity, duration of activity, temperature (air and wind chill), fitness of the individual etc etc.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I discovered in Whistler that the temperature definitely makes a difference. I lost no weight when I skied in December, despite being quite energetic on a course and not being particularly greedy. But in Whistler, where it was absolutely arctic and despite having to stop frequently for hot chocolates to warm up, eating and drinking quite a lot generally, and not pushing myself much on skis, I still lost a couple of pounds.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hurtle, maybe these calorie calculators need a new entry - skiing whilst shivering. Did you have any chocolate elephants when you were in Whistler?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
geetee, no, didn't discover chocolate elephants. Sounds like it's just as well - had I done so, those few pounds might not have been lost!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A 6'5" 20 stone man will burn almost twice as many calories than a 5'2" 8 stone woman, even when they are both doing exactly the same thing (e.g sleeping)

So saying X activity burns Y amount of calories per hour is meaningless without knowing one's basic metabolic rate, which is dependent on things such as weight, height, age and gender. So the well built young man may indeed be able to burn 600 calories per hour whilst skiing, but the svelte lass will almost certainly not.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy