Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calories Burnt on the Snow

Poster: A snowHead
I seem to recall reading somewhere that downhill skiing burns 600 calories per hour. Not sure about boarding. I know many, many factors come into play on this but has anyone read anything a bit more scientific than some calculator that I found via Google?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

downhill skiing burns 600 calories per hour

that can't make sense as a general proposition, can it? It's like saying that "housework burns X calories" (often read in women's magazines). Is that energetic housework, scrubbing floors, up and down ladders cleaning big windows or a wee flick round with a feather duster?

I am under no illusions that the sort of skiing I do burns anything like 600 calories an hour. But Bode Miller doing a slalom? No doubt more.

That's just to encourage people to have another almond croissant and hot chocolate whilst telling themselves they'll still be losing weight. wink

someone recently posted a link to a fun way of working out how long you'd have to ski to burn up your lunch.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

downhill skiing burns 600 calories per hour.
Oh how I wish... rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Peter Leuzzi, Having just returned from Austria, and after selflessly conducting extensive scientific research on this subject for the benefit of fellow snowHead s, I can tell you that cruising down a few easy blues falls a long way short of burning off an enormous plate Tiroler Groestl and 2 pints of weissbeer.

Happy to help Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
shows up some incredible figures , Shocked so i dont believe it Puzzled
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Are we talking about skiing in France or Austria here ? Wink

I'd say it's around 200 to 600 cals an hour depending on intensity and how long one is on the lift / in lift lines. It also depends on the size of the person and their fitness level. Recreational skiers probably don't burn much more than 250 cals an hour. I'll try and get my pulse watch to calculate the cals when I ski on Sunday.

Calorie calculator for light skiing ....
http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/caloriesBurnedInfo.php?id=563
...... although it's unclear if this relates to time actually skiing or total time including sat on lift etc.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 27-01-11 10:45; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A lass I was skiing with last week used some sort of HRM which also made a rough calculation of calories burned. It showed about 3000 burned during the period of the day she was skiing (about five hours).

So, about 600 an hour during tough skiing with recovery breaks. Not that much really.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB, this has been posted elsewhere, but competence is also a determining factor: once you learn how to ski properly, you're going to expend less energy doing it - unless, of course, you then become a gnarly person and walk uphill for miles before skiing down. wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd think it enough that most people don't come back heavier, despite 1000 cals of beer a day!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle wrote:
DB, this has been posted elsewhere, but competence is also a determining factor: once you learn how to ski properly, you're going to expend less energy doing it - unless, of course, you then become a gnarly person and walk uphill for miles before skiing down. wink

Also depends if you hammer it all the time skiing (e.g. bump skiing, short turns). Not all people who walk up mountains on skis are gnarly, some of us are on ungnarly (less than 130mm at the waist wide) skis and just too tight to pay for a lift ticket. Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Doesn't the calorie rate also depend on how cold it is? I am sure I read years ago that daily calorie intake to maintain body weight was around 6,000 cals a day when skiing in cold conditions. I guess if your skiing in Scotland thats about one deep fried mars bar a day Laughing

I know I eat about twice as much on a skiing week and still loose about half a stone Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Peter Leuzzi wrote:
I seem to recall reading somewhere that downhill skiing burns 600 calories per hour. Not sure about boarding. I know many, many factors come into play on this but has anyone read anything a bit more scientific than some calculator that I found via Google?

For most recreational/tourist skiers I would take at least one zero of that figure Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27 wrote:
Peter Leuzzi, Having just returned from Austria, and after selflessly conducting extensive scientific research on this subject for the benefit of fellow snowHead s, I can tell you that cruising down a few easy blues falls a long way short of burning off an enormous plate Tiroler Groestl and 2 pints of weissbeer.

Happy to help Smile

Tiroler Gröstl = 437 cals (100g small portion so lets double it)
Weißbier = circa 180 cals
Total = circa 1250 cals

http://fddb.info/db/de/lebensmittel/diverse_tiroler_groestl/index.html

..... but it might be the carrots that are really fattening.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jabb/5366349205/

My independent analysis says "ski a bit harder mate and then you can get totally tanked up without having to worry about it". Wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Those calorie counters are getting more complex / smarter. Just tried two different ones to work out how many cals I burn while "hard at in the bedroom". I entered my weight along with a duration of 60 mins. The first counter said "I don't believe you" and the second came back with figures for 2 mins hard exercise and 58 mins sleeping. Wink
latest report
DB, Love it - mine was at least 200g and had 2 fried eggs on top Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
All these comments are all the various incongruencies of how to calculate it that Ive considered. A further thought-

The average male consumes 2000-2500 per day. On a ski break you drink more, eat more and richer food, eat chocolate, drink hot chocolate etc so as a wild guess you are taking in say 4000 calories per day and either not putting on weight or losing it - would you agree with that? My ski day is usually 7-8 hours which is 6 hours skiing (actual skiing and lifts) and 1 or 2 hours eating, chilling etc. I never put weight on (and can be prone to putting weight on in normal life). That means I am negating those 4000 calories at a rate of 666 per hour (or less because one burns calories eating, sleeping, walking, living etc)

Fair logic?

If my calorie estimate was light on and is more like 5000, then I am burining circa 833????

Actually, I like my own logic and will go with it! Very Happy
latest report
but how much of the hour do we actually spend in reasonable active skiing vs sitting on a lift / standing at the side of the piste/ coasting the easy bit?
not much me thinks...
Also the likely hood is that the better your technique is the less calories you would burn non an avaerage run.

Eaty sensibly in the morning, top up during the day, drink suffiecient to stay hydrated.
don't worry about the food, you're on hgoliday, enjoy the cuisine..

If to go up a size or two whist on holiday go to the gym when yo get back, or fast for lent...
snow conditions
DB, Laughing Laughing did you tick the box on the calorie counter site that stated it was a team activity or individual excersie Laughing
snow conditions
sorry, just realised I posted this somewhere I shouldnt.

How do I shift it? Or would someone do it please?
snow report
Get weighed before you go, ski hard drink and eat plenty, enjoy get weighed when you get back.Done this for a number of years,I have plenty to eat and drink, and still lose 2 or 3 pound. I am a first & last lift up person though.
latest report
Oh and for what its worth on my Polar heart rate monitor (I only used this once out of interest), 5,600 calories for the day
snow report
does that mean if i ski and eat lettuce allday i could loose a stone Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
i better get cracking on that diet book i keep meaning to write
ski holidays
Peter Leuzzi wrote:
All these comments are all the various incongruencies of how to calculate it that Ive considered. A further thought-

The average male consumes 2000-2500 per day. On a ski break you drink more, eat more and richer food, eat chocolate, drink hot chocolate etc so as a wild guess you are taking in say 4000 calories per day and either not putting on weight or losing it - would you agree with that? My ski day is usually 7-8 hours which is 6 hours skiing (actual skiing and lifts) and 1 or 2 hours eating, chilling etc. I never put weight on (and can be prone to putting weight on in normal life). That means I am negating those 4000 calories at a rate of 666 per hour (or less because one burns calories eating, sleeping, walking, living etc)

Fair logic?

If my calorie estimate was light on and is more like 5000, then I am burining circa 833????

Actually, I like my own logic and will go with it! Very Happy

dont oyu need to facto rin the other 18 hours in the day as well? well unless you hibernate..
i reckon most of the weight goes on dancing with boots on wink
snow report
Peter Leuzzi wrote:
I seem to recall reading somewhere that downhill skiing burns 600 calories per hour.

The average skier probably burns more calories posting on snowheads.
snow report
I normally lose 7 lbs during a week skiing
ski holidays
I usually lose 3-4lb over the Christmas/New Break without even trying, mind you it soon goes back on once back home!
latest report
My cross trainer tells me that I use just over 300 calories after 30 minutes, after which I am wringing with sweat and absolutely knackered. My bike GPS trainer tells me that a 35 mile ride in under 3 hours uses just over 2000 calories. On the basis of those I can see no way that you use more than a couple of hundred an hour on average skiing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I never lose weight skiing, I blame the beer and too much blue run cruising. All I get is firm thighs..
ski holidays
Peter Leuzzi wrote:

The better you get, the less calories you burn.

For liftserved downhill skiing at -5c in the sun in midwinter, riding 90% onpiste and 10% offpiste:

Beginner = 200 - 400 calories per hour;
Intermediate = 150 - 300 CPH;
Expert = 100 - 250 CPH.

If you are skiing from 9am to 5pm, with 1 hr for food and 2 - 3 hrs on lifts, then you'll burn about 400 - 1600 calories over and above the basic 1500 - 2000 needed per day.

In short, if you're eating more than roughly 2500 - 3500 calories a day in total, then you're likely overeating.

If you're tired, you're usually thirsty. Drink more water.
latest report
Colin B wrote:
My cross trainer tells me that I use just over 300 calories after 30 minutes, after which I am wringing with sweat and absolutely knackered. My bike GPS trainer tells me that a 35 mile ride in under 3 hours uses just over 2000 calories. On the basis of those I can see no way that you use more than a couple of hundred an hour on average skiing.

Yup - an hour of intense circuit training gives me 600-700 calories. 600 calories an hour skiing, no way...
latest report
I've never measured it, but I think 600 calories per hour is about right if you ski hard for your skill level.

I'm just as knackered after a day's skiing as I am after a few hours mountain biking. Proper biking can easily burn 1,000 calories per hour, so, allowing for uplift time, that's consistent with downhill skiing. Even hill walking can easily burn 600 calories per hour (2 mph at 200 calories per mile plus 500 vertical feet at 400 calories per 1000 foot), and that doesn't feel any harder than skiing. Running, I can easily hit a burn rate of 1,100 calories per hour for 15 minute bursts, which is again consistent if you allow for uplift time.

I easily eat an extra 3,000 calories per day on a skiing trip, and I always lose weight. I think the statistic is right unless you enjoy tootling down the groomers.
snow report
There's not a hope in hell that an hour's skiing burns 600 calories. It's not even close to logical that you could burn 3600 cals in 6 hours skiing, no matter how overweight you start and unfit you are. I'd assume closer to the lower end of Whitegold's numbers.
snow conditions
Picadilly wrote:
I never lose weight skiing, I blame the beer and too much blue run cruising. All I get is firm thighs..

You mean in the Apres Ski lap dancing clubs? Toofy Grin
snow report
hum3, agreed. If I really flog myself in the gym, I might manage 800kcal/hr (according to the machines). There is no way I could sustain that rate of energy expenditure for hour after hour of skiing. I strongly suspect that an "intense" day with stops only on lifts would have, at most, half that rate of burn
snow report
Freddie Paellahead wrote:
hum3, agreed. If I really flog myself in the gym, I might manage 800kcal/hr (according to the machines). There is no way I could sustain that rate of energy expenditure for hour after hour of skiing.

You need to work harder. For an average weight bloke, running at 13-14km/h - definitely a sustainable pace if you're in shape - will burn about 1100 calories per hour.
snow report
Peter Leuzzi wrote:

Fair logic?

From your calorie estimates, which sound reasonable to me, I'd estimate that skiing requires about 250 calories per hour, above what you would use anyway by breathing/walking/generally being alive. Calculation: you're not gaining weight, so you're burning at least 1500 calories more per day than you would otherwise use. Those calories essentially come from six hours of skiing. Therefore, 250 calories burnt per hour of skiing.
Maybe daily calorie intake is higher, say 5000 calories, in which case it's 2500/6 ~= 420 kcal/hour.
snow report
Two Ears Laybelle wrote:
From your calorie estimates, which sound reasonable to me, I'd estimate that skiing requires about 250 calories per hour, above what you would use anyway by breathing/walking/generally being alive..

And on the basis that in an hour of skiing, at least half of it may be spent standing around or sitting on a chairlift, we are getting back to the starting point of 600 calories per hour for the actual ski time.
snow conditions
Quote:

I normally lose 7 lbs during a week skiing

I usually get home about £3,000 lighter after a weeks skiing Shocked
latest report
well I took my Garmin HRM with me and wore it for two days. I was surprised when I saw the results - a rather low average heart rate of 74 bpm with a max of 123bpm and 819 calories burnt. Now I realise that its not that accurate and I was not skiing that hard and it included sitting in the restaurant for an hour( total) and sitting on the lifts, my legs feel that a lot more calories were burnt up than that.
I will say that I am very fit with a resting HR of 44BPM.

A large breakfast, dinner and midday snack ( germknudel, Kaisersmarren or Strudel + chocolate) put in more calories than indicated yet there was no weight increase!!!!

So the HRM is fairly useless at counting calories on the slope.......

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy