Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Movement Vista 84 broken ski

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone here can offer an opinion or some advice. We’ve tried contacting Movement but they have been unresponsive. Glisshop, where we bought the skis, have also been unhelpful.

Basically my wife bought these Movement Vista 84 skis new in February and took them to Val Thorens over Easter. We were skiing on piste this week. After four days of fairly relaxed skiing, the top layer of the ski started coming apart and the wood core showing through. Hopefully the pictures are clear.

Glisshop, where we bought them, claimed there must have been a crash and impact with a rock. Now we know that didn’t happen, but also the bases are completely unscratched. I can’t see how this could happen without us realising, if the skis weren’t faulty to begin with. The failure is pretty much all the way along the top sheet of the ski, is this a normal way for skis to fail? Can they be repaired?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Eamonn

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks like the topsheet cap is peeling away to me. Need not be a rock collision if they were nicked by the other ski or fell over on a ski rack etc etc. Probably largely cosmetic and nothing that a dollop of epoxy on the exposed area couldn't fix once you've cut back the loose topsheet. Your defence is intact edges if they are intact so I'd give Glisshop a bit more what for.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sorry to heat this, were they bought on credit card? maybe that's another recourse
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
A few pics and words on the movement fb page might cure their unresponsiveness
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great, thanks very much for those ideas. I was a bit worried there was no hope for them. Will look into the credit card protection, and also try contacting them in a bit more public forum!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Efatri, nah, doesn’t look to me like “natural” wear and tear, e.g. collisions with other things, given the total apparent lack of collateral damage.

Give them all you’ve got.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That middle picture looks like something has caught the sidewall of the skis but I would have expected the cap to survive what looks like a relatively minor scrape. As the others have said, contacting the manufacturers on their social media pages might well you get you a better response from those responsible for maintaining their good reputation.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I broke some movement red apples. They replaced them eventually but only after some pushing.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The warranty claim you have is with Glissshop directly as the retailer.

Warranty issues can sometimes be problematic as you cannot always take the users version of events as gospel truth as they obviously want a replacement pair of skis.I am by no means suggesting that this is the case here but you have to try and see the woods through the trees.
This can be made even more difficult when you can't physically take them to the store you brought them from.

From looking at the images it looks as if the skis have clattered against each other and the edge has taken away part of the sidewall.
It would have taken quite an impact to cause the damage and my argument would be that the sidewall should be able to resist such an impact.
It's quite a straight forward repair and it would not effect the performance just won't look great.

I would keep on at Glisshop or failing that go down the Credit card route.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
willski17 wrote:
The warranty claim you have is with Glissshop directly as the retailer......

And that's the risk you take when buying overseas.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Aye...

Glisshop don’t have a shop front. They operate from the internet, and their business model is buying large quantities of whatever is left, storing in a warehouse miles out of town, and selling large quantities at low prices to turn a profit.

Spyderjon is a movement UK dealer. He operates a physical shop which you can actually walk into. If you call his shop, you’ll speak to him personally and not a generic phone operator. So it’s no surprise that his prices have to be higher, to cover the overheads or running a personable operation with a physical presence rather than a mail order system from the internet.

You’ve chosen to buy your skis from the internet, where there’s no physical presence or personable operation. But now something’s gone wrong, you want a personal, physical response.

I hope you can see the problem there. This is the problem with the retail industry across the board. People want the best of both worlds, with a totally impersonal and faceless shopfront on the internet to buy from if it means saving a few quid, but then an actual person on the other end of the phone when things go wrong.

As I said, Jon is a movement dealer so maybe if you ask him really nicely and insist you’ve learned your lesson etc etc he MIGHT be able to offer you some help (I don’t know though, you do have to ask...).

What I do know is that I had a problem with a ski that Jon sold me, after briefly berating me for being a fat bar-steward he had the bindings off and boxed up, some replacement skis arranged, and once they’ve actually been made will mount my bindings on those - which Glisshop won’t do, even if they do replace the skis.

I’m not being a d1ck about it but you get what you pay for and if you buy the cheapest you’ll get the cheapest.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Being a big, cheap, online dealer isn’t an excuse for crappy customer service though. There are plenty of big online stores who have really good service reputations – it’s another reason to use them over ones that don’t. Plenty more would be wise to up their game though.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

When cost savings are passed to the consumer, it happens in both respects.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ok, much as it would be nice if Glisshop were more helpful, I get that there’s no way to prove they weren’t smashed into a rock. I don’t really expect much from the retailer. To be honest, this is the first time we’ve bought skis, after years and years of renting. We are just a bit gutted they appear to be trashed after 4 days use. We’ve certainly known about clipping skis we’ve hired, but I’ve never had any damage like this. I was more looking for a bit of advice or thoughts on whether they are worth repairing or could be faulty and not worth spending any more on.

Jon - apologies, I didn’t know about your business.

Equally, I didn’t know Glisshop were the root of all evil. We did look around in ski shops near us, but they didn’t have anything we wanted. Glisshop seemed to be the only place that had these available (although hardly discounted at all) with the frame touring bindings we wanted as an option so we decided to go for them. I guess we won’t make the same mistake again.

Anyway, cheers all.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just in case anyone searches and this thread pops back up, after a bit of pushing (using the Consumer Rights Act), in the end Glisshop replaced them.
snow report
Efatri wrote:
Just in case anyone searches and this thread pops back up, after a bit of pushing (using the Consumer Rights Act), in the end Glisshop replaced them.

Well done for coming back. It's always nice to close the story and it's especially helpful here I feel as online retailers are obviously used by many.

I didn't see the original thread. I've used Glisshop and Ekosport to buy stuff and have no issues - though nothing has gone wrong as happened in your case. So it's good to hear they came through in the end.

Glisshop do have a physical shop, it's just not convenient for many. As indeed to be fair neither is Jon's.

I've always got the impression from the website they are an open and transparent retailer.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy