Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

nervous skier - lesson or practice?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm wondering if you can help me decide if I need more lessons, or just to get out there and ski more.

On a good day I can ski reds and get down easy blacks. I've not quite got the hang of carving, but I can link parallel turns and use the edge to control size of turn and speed. I'm still fairly slow and cautious, but on a good day I love it.

The problem is, on a bad day nerves get the better of me, and I struggle to snowplough down a green. This usually happens if the slopes are crowded and I struggle to find a spot to turn, so I end up quaking at the side waiting for a big gap. I've had a few nasty experiences of people coming up behind and knocking me over, or overtaking without leaving room for me to react, which has made me fall, and this has knocked my confidence.

I've also not had great experiences with lessons - my first lesson outside the snowdome consisted of me repeatedly falling over whilst the instructor repeatedly shouted at me to get up and the group got further ahead. I've had a couple of lessons since which were better, but again I got behind when the group went down a really busy piste.

I'd like to improve my skiing, but am not sure how much I'd be able to get from a lesson if I was nervous. Do you think lessons would help give me the confidence I need to go faster and improve, or do I need to develop the confidence before I can benefit from a lesson?

thanks for your advice
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
janeed wrote:
Do you think lessons would help give me the confidence I need to go faster and improve, or do I need to develop the confidence before I can benefit from a lesson?
I don't think it's an either/or. If you feel more in control you'll probably feel more confident. Good lessons should help you improve your core technique so you're able to be in control in more situations. If you feel confident it will be easier for you to stay in control. It's a virtuous circle of control helping confidence which helps control. Find a good instructor or ski school who can help you develop your technique and and get out there and practice.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sounds like you could do with some privates rather than group lessons to be honest.

Lessons will allow you to progress and feel more confident whereas 'practice' without lessons will simply embed what you're doing now and make harder to eventually unlearn.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
janeed, YES! Both! As a nervous nellie of long standing who has just got her NASTAR Platinum medal I can tell you that you will become less nervous as you get better technical skills. Your body knows you are 'not quite safe' when you are skiing. How to get better technical skills? Lessons and focused practice.

Check out the Cautious to confident week that Butterfly organises at Les Deux Alpes. Lessons AND practice with a bunch of like minded skiers at your level. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=65198
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
janeed, you are most definitely NOT alone - most of us will find things falling apart when the going gets difficult, but these days I can cope better than in the past because I have a range of techniques (learnt in lessons and practiced on my own) that I KNOW will work. So I can now rely on what I KNOW rather than what I am FEELING at that very moment, so the right move is more likely to come automatically. If all else fails, as it did the other day on a run where a very narrow strip of icy snow went down the middle of a red run with a mix of ice and mud on the sides, I can do a really, really, good sideslip. wink

little tiger, makes an excellent suggestion - that week would be great for you, and though private lessons are definitely the way forward, having a good time with others who are in the same boat would make it all a lot more fun.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
janeed, a few other options for you to consider:

Inspired to Ski do week courses for 'Novice and Nervous' skiers - 3 hours/day for 5 days. Top instruction with others in the same position as you http://www.inspiredtoski.com/courses/noviceandnervous . They also do 2.5 day courses just for women.

If you're vaguely near Hemel Hempstead, you might consider some indoor instruction. InsideOut, run by rob@rar and skimottaret, do some great sessions, including Improver and Building Confidence clinics http://www.insideoutskiing.com/improverclinics.html

Personally I would say good instruction is key to feel more confident in your abilities and then practise and consolidate your skills.

Good luck snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
janeed, +1 for Insideout - for two reasons....1) 'cos they are good at what they do and 2) 'cos you can see them throughout the year - which leads to a better learning/practise mix.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If a private lesson then tell them about your problems before the lesson.
There are things a good instructor can do to help.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

you can see them throughout the year

a good point. If you only ski once a year, then it's always a bit nerve wracking wondering whether you can still do it!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
Quote:

you can see them throughout the year

a good point. If you only ski once a year, then it's always a bit nerve wracking wondering whether you can still do it!

"Now how do I turn again? Puzzled" is what is usually going through my head before the first run!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

If you only ski once a year, then it's always a bit nerve wracking wondering whether you can still do it!

Ooo......I'm glad other people run that thought train too Laughing

Seriously re: the OP as an ex. very nervous skier I would echo the advise on here - a bit of both lessons and practice. It very much depends on the individual, but I found that I didn't crack the lessons until I had a fair bit of getting used to the skis under my belt. On the other hand I couldn't have done that without some idea of how to use them. By the sounds of OP's experience vs. what I went though I think they are ready for more lessons, but with someone they trust. Butterfly's cautious to confident week might be ideal.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, every time I turn up at Hemel, usually a fortnight or so after the previous time, I feel like a beginner again. It's weird, I really don't know why.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for your suggestions, and it's good to know I'm not the only one.

The Cautious to Confident and Novice to Nervous course sound great, but unfortunately I can't make those dates. I've already booked my leave from work. Maybe next year?

I'm in Manchester so Hemel Hampsted is a bit of a trek, and I can't make the dates available before my holiday. However I like the idea of improving my skiing over the summer by doing this, so will definitely check it out when I get back. Shame there's nothing similar at Chill Factore.

In the meantime, I guess I'll try a few private lessons whilst I'm away. We're looking at Italy at the moment, probably Cervina or La Thule as the slopes sound quiet, wide and fairly gentle. Can anyone recommend an instructor in either resort who they think could help me?

thanks
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
janeed, As someone who has suffered a dislocated shoulder whilst skiing, after my injury I began to ski like a tense, nervous, drunken hippo, which affected my technique. I was very similar to you - scared of people coming up behind etc (basically worried I would do my shoulder in again). I had private lessons in Serre Che last year, and found them to be incredibly beneficial to not only my confidence, but also my techniqie (which probaly still leaves a lot to be desired!). I also tried a private lesson at the Snowdome in Tamworth, but found it to be a waste of money. Go for private 1 -on- 1 lessons!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
To update an old thread in case anyone is reading it later...

I found this advice useful. Since then I have had private lessons in Italy and Norway, which I found very useful. Particularly in Norway this year when I had 1.5 hours at the start of every other day. This was just enough to give me confidence, and some things to work on, for the day ahead.

Yesterday I was booked onto a day course in Chill Factore with Warren Smith. I was unsure about the idea of group lessons, but actually I was the only one on the course! I found it really useful, but now I just want the chance to get out to somewhere with a bit of space (the slope yesterday was full of obstacles) and put what I'm learning into practice.

I am improving, but am starting to feel I'd need to ski a lot more than I do for things to really stick.
snow conditions
janeed, good to hear you're making progress!
ski holidays
janeed, try an out oor dry slope theyre not usually as busy as the fridges and when at the dry slope look at the race training nights, they build confidence up LOADS and improve technique loads,
ski holidays
Quote:

Yesterday I was booked onto a day course in Chill Factore with Warren Smith. I was unsure about the idea of group lessons, but actually I was the only one on the course!

Brilliant! snowHead Next time you go to a mountain, be sure to take lots of advice on somewhere with quiet slopes and no boy racers. They do exist - and I don't blame you being freaked out by crowds, especially when so many people ski beyond their ability to control. You need to go at the right time, too, when slopes are quiet.

Also, don't write off group lessons - just make sure they are the right group lessons, with guaranteed small groups. There are plenty of good ones out there and being with others can help give you confidence; being just with an instructor can sometimes be a bit dispiriting, because they are so good!
ski holidays
pam w +1 (good advice from you as always!).

janeed againg as others have said it is good to hear you are progressing.
snow report
Some of this may help, or one of te other related articles. Good luck

http://www.icesi.org/technique-riding-the-edge.asp
snow report
Thanks everyone.

pam w, one thing I've got quite good at now is picking the quieter resorts (thanks to some useful suggestions on here). We've been to Passo Tonale, Megeve and Trysil in the last couple of years, as well as some trips to Scotland.

I had a group lesson on Sunday, but beginner's telemark. I struggled to get the hang of it, but it was fun.
ski holidays
One of the instructors at chill factore is fantastic. I'm very nervous, and she has really brought my skiing on. Her name is Mel Mathers officially you can't specify an instructor but have found they will be flexible if it helps get you to part with money!
snow report
I'm another one who encounters this very problem - some days I ski like a seasoned pro yet after a good lunch during which I stiffen up I can ski like a first timer and forget everything. I also get mid trip tiredness - I'm great Sunday, Monday, go backwards Tuesday, ski like a sap on Wednesday, then improve again, ski brilliantly on the last day and then can't wait to book my next trip as soon as I'm through the door of home.
But seriously, private lessons have always helped me - even with the ESF they have a different vibe to the group lessons which always seem "follow me" and you never get any tuition in. In a private lesson you get to set the pace, and the lesson is geared to you and what you want to improve.
I agree wholeheartedly with a point above from Pam W which it looks like she made in jest but is actually really true - side-slipping with competence can get anyone out of a sticky spot, so I would say it is a case of private lesson identifying a floor in technique and then the next few hours working on the area. But if it's a crowd issue then what you are doing seems for the best anyway.
You are certainly not alone in having the odd ragged, nervy moment.
latest report
phatcon wrote:
I'm great Sunday, Monday, go backwards Tuesday, ski like a sap on Wednesday, then improve again, ski brilliantly on the last day

Just an idea which may admittedly just be total psycho-babble.

Sun – right then lets see if I can see do it, yeah no problems, hey look at me mum.
Mon – ye-ah, I’ve still got it.
Tues – right then where shall we go for dinner tonight
Wed – oh god, way to much dinner last night, best take it easy today
Thurs – ooops, let it slip a bit yesterday, better get back into this skiing lark
Fri – Is that it, oh well still got a full day, let just go for it

QED - it's all in yer ed
snow conditions
Alternately holiday skiers with no ski specific preparation (no matter how much other sport they do) aren't conditioned for more than 3 days skiing on the trot. Most Seppos would look at you like you were mental if you said you intended to do 6 days straight skiing (of course there it is more of a go hard weekend warrior sport or a long weekend ski, spa & eat holiday).
snow conditions
I had some very interesting lessons on my last trip. They made me realise that I'd developed a poor technique which worked for me on easy slopes, but fell apart on anything steeper or in tricky conditions. The problem is I've skied a lot, and these bad habits have become so reinforced it was difficult to change them. A week focusing on getting it just right on the green slopes has really made me realise what I'm aiming for, even if I can't get it right each turn.
snow report
Charlotte Swift, www.Easiski.com does a great Cautious to Confident course that sounds like just what you need.janeed.
ski holidays
janeed, sounds like you had a very good week. Having deeply ingrained bad habits describes us all really, but as you have come to be aware of what they are you're already half way to sorting them out.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davkt, thanks. I've looked at that course a few times, and was actually considering it last year until I hurt my knee and couldn't ski. I can't make the dates this year, but I'm thinking of next year, or some private lessons with Charlotte over the summer.

kieranm, I definitely know what the bad habits are now. More than that, I can feel when I have it right and when I don't, and make the adjustments. Before, I knew theoretically what I was aiming for, but I couldn't feel the difference. It was a great week.
ski holidays
janeed

If you are in Manchester ski Rossendale do a coaching session on Friday 7:30pm £5 for slope fees and another £5 for the coaching if this continues durring the summer it may be ideal for you to keep practicing regularly. It £5 an hour Tues-Thur 3-6pm and Fri 3-9pm for an hour. The coaching has to be pre-booked.

Links below.

http://www.skirossendale.co.uk/news/84/19/Off-Peak-Offer.html

http://www.skirossendale.co.uk/news/85/19/Friday-evening-coaching.html

Edit I am in Manchester as well so may see you on the slopes after Easter ( might be there Friday 28th March around 3-4 or 4-5pm but away week after so not sure yet if I will have the time).
snow report
speed098, thanks for that. It sounds very interesting. My husband and I have been to Rossendale once, and had it to ourselves for a few hours, which was fun. It's a bit tricky to get to without a car, especially carrying skis and boots, but sounds like it might be worth the effort. A lot cheaper than Chill Factore.

Do they have a range of abilities attending the coaching?
latest report
janeed

They seemed to be mainly intermediate to early advanced on the course but did not pay too much attention as it was my first day back skiing in about 15yrs so was working on my skiing. But 90 min of coaching for a tenner can not be bad.

Also it was the first time I had ever skied on shaped ski's so getting used to them as well.
I will be going down at least once a week when we get back but will not be going on the coaching course myself. I will be joining CFe as well for the weekly tickets once a month, so if anyone sees a middle aged lunatic flying down the slope without poles pretty good chance it may be me snowHead

When I was at college I used to get the bus from Bury to Rawtenstall town centre then either walk up the hill at the side of the garage or if a nice hot day up through the park, ( I even ran from Oldham to Ski Rossendale once, not sure if that shows dedication or just that I was a complete nutcase Embarassed ).

Ski Rossendale used to be a fantastic place and very much a social get together hopefully Mike, Dave and Karren and the other staff will soon have it back that way if not already there.
Dave Fuller does the coaching and would highly recommend him.

Once back from hols around 24/25th contact me janeed as may be able to pick you up if that is any help for you?

Didn't make it up there today as way too busy in the end sorting the car out Sad
snow conditions
phatcon wrote:
I'm another one who encounters this very problem - some days I ski like a seasoned pro yet after a good lunch during which I stiffen up I can ski like a first timer and forget everything. I also get mid trip tiredness - I'm great Sunday, Monday, go backwards Tuesday, ski like a sap on Wednesday, then improve again, ski brilliantly on the last day and then can't wait to book my next trip as soon as I'm through the door of home.

Take tuesday or wednesday afternoon off - works for me as I'm then less kncackered and more up for it thr/friday

is it better to 'lose half a day' and ski better on the final two days, or is it better to flog your guts out and have nothing left in the tank for the final couple of days...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy