Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ryanair to Grenoble

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This may be of interest to some - Ryanair have today announced daily flights from Stansted to Grenoble, starting this autumn. Details here
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's very good news. I've used the St Etienne - Stansted route a few times - very good, cheaper than the other 'lowcosts' during peak periods. That said, not many people think of using it for the Alps as it adds an extra 45 mins or so the journey to the likes of Le Arcs, as compared to Geneva or Lyon.

The Grenoble airport is actually not very near Grenoble! Journey time from Grenoble, as compared to Lyon, is virtually identical.

Following examples of travel time to Bourg Saint Maurice according to www.viamichelin.fr :

Ex Grenoble airport:
2hrs 1mins (inc 1hr 17mins on motorways)
Distance : 178 kms (inc 133 kms on motorways)

Ex Lyon airport:
1hrs 59mins (inc 1hr 26mins on motorways)
Distance : 189 kms (inc 154 kms on motorways)

Ex Geneva airport:
2hrs 12mins (inc 25mins on motorways)
Distance : 143 kms (inc 42 kms on motorways)

Ex Geneva airport favouring motorways:
2hrs 11mins (inc 1hr 21mins on motorways)
Distance : 192 kms inc 140 kms on motorways)

Ex St Etienne airport:
2hrs 45mins (inc 2hrs 12mins on motorways)
Distance : 264 kms inc 230 kms on motorways)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The thing to be careful with regarding ryanair, is that they have low baggage limits. You only get 15kg and they are usually very stringent about charging you excess baggage. I know several people who have been charged well over £100 each way for taking "a bit too much"
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's right, and Ryanair's chief executive gives the impression that he would like to charge his passengers according to their weight. After all, if you're going to fuss about a few kg of excess baggage, then why not fuss about a few 10kgs of 'excess baggage'?

In essence, of course, he's right. If you're going to minimise fares then one way to maximise profits (about the only way open to him) is to catch out people who don't read - or ignore - the terms and conditions of sale.

I reckon you've saved a few people a lot of money with that reminder, Liz!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks good for 2 Alpes, Alpe d'Huez la Grave etc.
I've found that Stansted are very efficient at charging for xcess baggage. Wear all your heavy clothes. I would suggest buying a big ski bag as well and putting it all in that - ski bag does not count to 15kg as you play a flat charge for it. Also I suggest only paying outbound ski carriage at that time, 50% of the time with Ryanair I have no return fee for the skis, the foreign airports are less thorough....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Elizabeth B, we had very slightly over the 15kg yesterday when we returned from bergamo, but weren't charged. The family in front of us were being stung as they were well over. I don't thyink they bother for an odd kilo or so, but any more...............
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Helen, I flew with ryanair to Gothenburg in Sweden. On the way home, I was just over the limit as I had put my hand luggage bag into my case - intending to travel with no hand luggage. I was told that I would have to pay the equivalent of £27. I tried explaining that if you took into account the hand luggage limit, that I was under my entitilement...but no, if I wanted to take it, I had to pay.

My solution? I removed a small bag from the case and sent it back to be re-weighed. Still over. I removed a book, repeated the process. Eventually they got tired of playing this game and let it through!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
lewis, Yeah - Grenoble is brilliant for us. It's true that the airport is on the far side of the town on the way to Lyon, but travel time LDA to Grenoble is about 1.5 hours (unless you get stuck in the rush hour). Must be about the same for ADH, and shorter for Chamrousse, Alpe de Grand Serre etc.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy