Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Slush is nice!

Poster: A snowHead
Physicsman, "OTOH, if you only sink in an inch or two with each step, and then hit a more firm sub-layer, to me, that only deserves being called something like "a soft top layer"

Well redefined! I don't like your "slush". With a decent gradient it can be fun, but often it isn't very entertaining (I find). Your soft top layer, IIRC, would have been described in the old Scottish phone reports as "soft snow on a firm base". & Very delightful indeed. Surely "Corn is corn" or when it's spring snow snowHead , just some of the prior descriptions sounded like it rather than my concept of slush.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some places do a passion fruit flavour one which is delicious on a hot day like today.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Physicsman, and excellent definition. I like skiing on them both. I'm sure that if it gets too slushy then I might not enjoy it so much, but I haven't got there yet.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mike Lawrie, I like that! Very Happy I also like the French term "Sports des Glisses". We don't seem to have useful terms like these in English. Shame really. Sad

I agree with everyone that if people are having trouble ski-ing in slush it's likely that they're trying to turn the skis and not letting them turn on their own arc. In very heavy slush that arc can sometimes be huge - but hang in there - they can't suddenly decide NOT to turn all on their own! rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski, But if its steep you would be going like a banshee before you start to slow down......and I would get scared Embarassed
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman, But the heavy slush is so slow that even quite steep runs won't let you go fast - try the Combe Valentin here down to town at the end of the day at the end of the season - well steep, but your speed will remain moderate! Little Angel
snow report
 brian
brian
David Murdoch wrote:
old Scottish phone reports

I remember those Very Happy

"Upper runs - some complete but narrow, new snow on a firm base with icy patches".

== a strip of concrete down the fence with a bit of spindrift over the top.

Happy days ! snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mike Lawrie: "...Maybe the word Firngleiten should be added to English ski speak?..."

I like it! I really do, but there may be a bit of an acceptance problem. The next time I'm skiing in North Carolina, I'll be sure to tell my good-old-boy chairmate, "Der (das, die?) Firngleiten ist gud, Ya?" and see the reaction I get. Wink

Frosty - re the passion fruit variety - Are you talking about the state of the substance before or after the barman scoops up some from outside and puts it in a glass to be served? Very Happy

easiski : "... In very heavy slush that arc can sometimes be huge - but hang in there - they can't suddenly decide NOT to turn all on their own! ..."

Actually, they can. All it takes is someone with that deer-in-the-headlights look forgetting that in order to turn, whether on hardpack or in soft snow, the skis need to be rolled over by at least a few degrees, even if said skis currently happen to be a foot or two below the surface and the actual edge of the ski isn't doing a blessed thing. Crying or Very sad

When introducing folks to soft snow skiing (ie, either powder, ordinary newly fallen snow, corn, or slush), after a bunch of straight line familiarization runs on as low angle a slope as possible, I then have them roll their ankles a few degrees to one side (while keeping their weighting 50-50), and much to their amazement, a turn begins. Unfortunately, at this point, old reflexes usually kick in, they try to weight their outside ski as they would on a groomer, and they wind up with skis heading off in two different directions. The rest of the lesson is usually working on maintaining a wt distribution a lot closer to 50-50 than most guests are used to. Fortunately, after a bit of experience, their speed will increase, and three good things happen: (a) their skis ride higher up in the snow, and (b) centrifugal force kicks in and the naturally resulting bank angle adds to their ankle rolling angle and helps tighten up their turns, and (c) the smiles begin. Smile

The above is not the progression traditionally used to introduce someone to soft snow skiing. That progression usually starts with bouncing traverses at progressively steeper angles down the hill. That works for fearless folks, but for more timid (ie, normal) people, starting directly in the fall line, but on a shallow slope (consistent with moving in the thick snow), and then giving them the skills to allow them to turn out of the fall line seems to work better for me, especially on modern equipment.

Cheers,

Tom / PM

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 23-06-05 17:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Physicsman,
Quote:
"Der (das, die?) Firngleiten ist gud, Ya?

chances are that if you try that in Vail you will get a positive response. I'm given to understand that Vail is overrun with Austrian emigrants. Might have to work on the spelling a bit first though. wink Lots of German words seem to be creeping into the English language in the last few years (e.g Angst, Gestalt..), so why not Firngleiten!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whoops ... OMG ... "gut", "Ja", etc. Embarassed

Must remember ... Engage brain, slowly release clutch, THEN put fingers in gear... Wink

I guess I better stick to skiing and physics. Very Happy

Tom / PM
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Physicsman,
[it]"Actually, they can. All it takes is someone with that deer-in-the-headlights look forgetting that in order to turn, whether on hardpack or in soft snow, the skis need to be rolled over by at least a few degrees, even if said skis currently happen to be a foot or two below the surface and the actual edge of the ski isn't doing a blessed thing. "[/it]

That's not the skis decision is it? That's the person on top stopping doing what they were doing (for whatever reason). So long as they continue the pressure the skli will eventually turn, although in very heavy slush it can feel as though it's not going to. The ski is an inanimate machine - it can't decide for itself - sorry!

ps: we don't have deers in headlights in the alpes - we're too far up for them to come in winter - right now there's one outside my window though!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
True 'nuff, but most folks still blame it on the equipment. Wink

You are also right about no deer at that altitude. Here in the US, everybody knows that deer turn into Elk at around 2500 meters. Wink

Don't worry, I haven't lost my marbles. It's a well-worn ski instructors' joke taken from my personal archives of: "The Dumbest Questions Guests Have Ever Asked You".

Tom / PM
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Physicsman, Of course the haggis is a small furry animal with longer legs on the left side because they only run one way round the mountain ......... Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, and in their un-processed form and wrapped in tartan they can easily be made into bagpipes.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kramer, Ah, reminds me of God's own country, bonnie Scotland, with the smell of Heather in my nose.

You must get bigger Haggi in the Midlands than we do in the South East. Here the poor crattur's get embalmed and used for some very strange game with no rules called cricket. Although it's maybe less cruel than the Scots; back home they have to kill the baby ones to get them small enough to make into gowf balls. Laughing

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 25-06-05 14:05; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
In Val Thorens we managed to ski a wide range of snow conditions; I have to say I didn't mind slush too much, I prefered it to the rutted re-frozen slush that I fell over on and the very hard surface which I thought I was going to fall over on. My preference though was for the foot of powder we found on piste on our last day...
ski holidays
David Murdoch, I always assumed that the Haggis was only native to Scotland. I've certainly not spotted one in the wild in England. Do they have Haggis farming near you?
latest report
In those occasional cases when a Haggis is spotted on this side of the pond, I've always thought they fled to the US to avoid the terrible persecution at home.

-ching!

Hopefully, the ones you have a better looking group than ours - over here, they are all stomach.

-kaBing!

The ones I've run into in the US are arrogant, overly nostalgic little twits as well - they keep talking about "the old days" when they used to be piped into formal gatherings and poetry used to be read to them.

-shaBoom!

Of all the gall, this IS America, you know. If they don't watch out, McDonalds could revert to their old ways and put them back on the menu.

-boom!

Thank you, thank you. Don't forget to tip the waitstaff on the way out.

Tom / PM
ski holidays
Physicsman, having trouble typing for giggling!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

kramer, yes, they crop rotate nicely with Ostriches - the climate doesn't suit them though so they don't grow very big.
snow report
Physicsman, I can just imagine you on stage in a powder blue tuxedo. Laughing

David Murdoch, as any Scot will tell you, farmed haggis is a poor substitute for the real thing.
latest report
To a Haggis

All hail your honest rounded face,
Great chieftain of the pudding race;
Above them all you take your place,
Beef, tripe, or lamb:
You're worthy of a grace
As long as my arm.

The groaning trencher there you fill,
Your sides are like a distant hill
Your pin would help to mend a mill,
In time of need,
While through your pores the dews distil,
Like amber bead.

His knife the rustic goodman wipes,
To cut you through with all his might,
Revealing your gushing entrails bright,
Like any ditch;
And then, what a glorious sight,
Warm, welcome, rich.

Then plate for plate they stretch and strive,
Devil take the hindmost, on they drive,
Till all the bloated stomachs by and by,
Are tight as drums.
The rustic goodman with a sigh,
His thanks he hums.

Let them that o'er his French ragout,
Or hotchpotch fit only for a sow,
Or fricassee that'll make you spew,
And with no wonder;
Look down with sneering scornful view,
On such a dinner.

Poor devil, see him eat his trash,
As feckless as a withered rush,
His spindly legs and good whip-lash,
His little feet
Through floods or over fields to dash,
O how unfit.

But, mark the rustic, haggis-fed;
The trembling earth resounds his tread,
Grasp in his ample hands a flail
He'll make it whistle,
Stout legs and arms that never fail,
Proud as the thistle.

You powers that make mankind your care,
And dish them out their bill of fare.
Old Scotland wants no stinking ware,
That slops in dishes;
But if you grant her grateful prayer,
Give her a haggis.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The original Burns...

Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
Great chieftain o' the puddin-race!
Aboon them a' ye tak your place,
Painch, tripe, or thairm:
Weel are ye wordy of a grace
As lang's my arm.

The groaning trencher there ye fill,
Your hurdies like a distant hill,
Your pin wad help to mend a mill
In time o' need,
While thro' your pores the dews distil
Like amber bead.

His knife see rustic Labour dight,
An' cut you up wi' ready sleight,
Trenching your gushing entrails bright
Like onie ditch;
And then, O what a glorious sight,
Warm-reekin, rich!

Then, horn for horn, they strech an' strive:
Deil tak the hindmost! on they drive,
Till a' their weel-swall'd kytes belyve,
Are bent like drums;
Then auld Guidman, maist like to rive,
'Bethanket! ' hums.

Is there that owre his French ragout
Or olio that wad staw a sow,
Or fricassee wad mak her spew
Wi' perfect sconner,
Looks down wi' sneering, scornfu' view
On sic a dinner?

Poor devil! see him owre his trash,
As feckless as a wither'd rash,
His spindle shank, a guid whip-lash,
His nieve a nit;
Thro' bluidy flood or field to dash,
O how unfit!

But mark the Rustic, haggis- fed,
The trembling earth resounds his tread.
Clap in his walie nieve a blade,
He'll make it whissle;
An' legs, an' arms, an' heads will sned,
Like taps o' thrissle.

Ye Pow'rs wha mak mankind your care,
And dish them out their bill o'fare,
Auld Scotland wants nae skinking ware
That jaups in luggies;
But, if ye wish her gratefu' prayer,
Gie her a Haggis!
ski holidays
Served with bashit tatties and champit neeps. Laughing
( Although swede mashed with lots of butter and black pepper is much tastier than turnip. Scots feed turnips to sheep and cattle. )
'Ah'll ha'e anither kipper and a dram, Janet'

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 26-06-05 7:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
kuwait_ian, good job Wiliam McGonagall didn't hit on the idea of writing poems about haggis!
By the way I think I've lost the thread here. What has Haggis got to do with Firngleiten?
latest report
Mike Lawrie, ah the great man. Lapses of scansion and strangled rhymes were no barrier to some wonderfully funny stuff. Not that he thought they were funny..........
http://www.mcgonagall-online.org.uk/index.shtml
Check out the Tay Bridge Disaster if you've not read it before, snowHead snowHead Beware - McGonagall can be addictive.

I think we are indulging in one of these 'let's take the sting out of this barney by lapsing into surrealism' thread diversions - but in the wrong thread. rolling eyes
snow report
kuwait_ian, I always thought that swede and turnip were the same thing, am I mistaken in this?

Champit neeps are great.
snow report
Kramer, they're different. I think 'swede' is actually short for 'Swedish turnip'. The American word for 'swede' is 'rutabaga'.
ski holidays
Kramer, similar but not the same. Swedes tend to be bigger, sweeter and turn a nice orange colour when boiled. Turnips stay white.
Quote:
Historical Information:
Americans know it as "rutabaga". The Scottish call it "neeps" and serve it with haggis. The swede, a fairly recent root vegetable, is thought to have originated around the 17th century in Bohemia. In 1620 a Swiss botanist described the root vegetable, believed to be a hybrid of the cabbage and the turnip. By 1664 it was growing in England.

Popular in colder European countries, the Swede enjoyed staple status during World War II. A hardy, ruddy vegetable similar in texture to turnip, swede is readily available in many Australian greengroceries today.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kuwait_ian, "in the worng thread"? Are you suggesting this was a particularly serious one in the first place?

Back on topic then: what are the best skis for slush?

anyone?
snow report
I've always found Bandit XX and B2s to be good in slush.
snow conditions
I find my Fischer World Cup SCs pretty good as they're so stiff they go through anything! My Scratch FSs are different though, they float on top, but get easily knocked out of line (so soft).
snow conditions
David Murdoch, depends how deep it is - anything from easiski's fischers up to waterskis!
ski holidays
Arno, ha ha ha

easiski, I used to love my 7Ss in slush (actually in anything). I'd go for stiff in slush anyday. Then again, my terribly common 9XOs are good in everything...

Kramer, I thought XXs and B2s were pretty much the same ski ????
snow conditions
David Murdoch, apparently not.
snow report
David Murdoch wrote:
...Back on topic then: what are the best skis for slush? anyone?

I realize that it may not be quite kosher to steer someone to a different forum, but I feel obliged to point out that there has been lots and lots of discussion of this topic over on Epic. For example:

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=26398

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?p=276321

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=9544

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=12250

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=3585

For more hits on this topic, just do a search on the word, "slush" over on Epicski.com .

HTH,

Tom / PM
ski holidays
David Murdoch, Kramer, As I understand it the Bandit XX was the earlier version of the B2. I don't know how much was changed under the skin between these two, although I do know that the next Bandit B2 (2006 model) is wider all around than the previous model!

I've never skied them in slush, but I should think the Zag would go quite well. Good sidecut for carving, soft tip and tail for floating, not too heavy...... Ise - any info?
ski holidays
easiski, yes, just fine Very Happy
snow report
easiski, I thought the same thing, however when I stated as much on this site, I was corrected by those whose knowledge of skis is far greater than mine. It may well have been those two ski fetishists WTFH and SSH.

Apparently quite a difference under the skin. Not really an issue for me, I enjoyed skiing on XXs, I enjoy skiing on my B2s.
snow report
easiski,

Funny that, I loved XX's but am not bowled over by B2's.

Back to the original thread, most people would meet slush on the 4 0'clock run so the terrian would be typically gentle.
In that situation, link the turns and take them with a bit of speed. Can't say I get it anywhere else but the last run of the day, I think.
snow conditions
JT, I found the old XX a "more rounded performer" than the B2W. For me the B2W lacked grip on boiler plate, but on slush even though it was wider underfoot felt harder to steer. Both were rental pairs, so prep may have played a part.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy