Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Milky Way picnic huts

Poster: A snowHead
Are there any picnic huts in the Milky Way? If so where are they and which maps are they on?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What exactly do you mean by a "picnic hut". There are mountain huts throughout the Alps which vary in size and standard but I am not sure that is what you are referring too. I ski mostly in France and a bit in Austria were I haven't come across a hut designed for people to picnic.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In some resorts there are specific rooms made or set up so that people can picnic. This saves masses of cash and means you don't feel cheaky eating a sandwich under the table in a resturant. We stopped in one last year in Flaine where some guys rocked up with a stoves, pans, hot soup for all.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've not seen a picnic hut in the Milky Way, but I have eaten in the restaurant at the end of the universe Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sounds like a great idea for the likes of me and you but a bad idea for the restaurant trade Very Happy

I am afraid I don't know the Milky Way but was intrigued by what these picnic huts were. Hopefully somebody will come along with good spots soon.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
not aware of any in Claviere or Montgenevre. Loads of cracking spots to sit down and have a picnic with some great views on a nice day though.

by "picnic huts", do you mountain refuges or such like?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Layne, Most small French resorts have them, "Salle Hors Sac", and they can be very well equipped, and busy at lunchtime.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
k1orange, Not seen any in the parts of the Milky Way I've skied (Montgenevre and Claviere).

Layne, In some of the large French resorts (possibly others, but I've only seen them there), there is sometimes a 'salle hors sacs', often in the building at the top of a gondola, in which to eat a packed lunch. Obviously, if the weather is kind, you could eat at any suitable sunny spot on the hill, but some shelter can be very welcome. Similarly, in the ski areas around Banff, in Canada, it seems acceptable to eat your own food in certain parts of the daylodges.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skitow, Yellow Pyranha,

Yad Moss has one too. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
At the top of Moutiere (I think) in VT there is a hut equiped with picnic tables that looks like it must be a picnic hut.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skitow,

Quote:
Most small French resorts have them, "Salle Hors Sac", and they can be very well equipped, and busy at lunchtime.

I haven't been to any small ones, not that I wouldn't like to...

Yellow Pyranha,

Quote:
In some of the large French resorts.

Not trying to call you a liar or catch you out but I have been to a few and don't recall any. Is this a recent thing? I have taken shelter in cable car stations to eat lunch on occasios. Sometimes they even have a bench and/or a loo. Just a bit noisy Mad

Could have done with one of these in ADH before xmas!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This refers to picnic room provision for wheelchairs at VT so I guess Megamum, is on the money with that one.. http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.valthorens.com/hiver-fr/val-thorens/station-et-infos-pratiques/tourisme-adapte/forfaits-et-remontees-mecaniques.108.html&ei=-w8rTfOvN8GPcbSRkasB&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBwQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3DSalle%2BHors%2BSac%2Bval%2Bthorens%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3D21I%26sa%3DX%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26nfpr%3D1%26prmd%3Divns
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Layne,
There is one at the bottom of the Vaujany ski area, where the yellow and grey small bubbles come up to. behind the carpet lift thingy.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There's one at the top of the Super Chatel lift, on the right as you walk out of the cars.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skitow, you mean at the bottom of the black La Fare? Sorry if I am being thick here!
latest report
Layne,

you can shortcut links with:-

Code:

[url=http://yoursite.com]your description[/url]

wink
snow conditions
Layne,
No, at the top of the Vaujany-Villette-Montfrais bubbles. My explanation probably was'nt very good, unfortunately although I know my way perfectly around the area I cannot remember the names of the lifts or runs very well. Age I guess...... Sad
snow report
Oh and if you do locate any in the Milky Way, or Serre Chevalier or anywhere else then I would love to know the location. We find them very useful, especially if you have traveled to the area by car and the weather is not good. They seem to be another of those things like family lift pass discounts etc. that all French people know about but......
snow conditions
skitow, TBH that was my 2nd guess. That was almost precisely where we were looking for a picnic spot on one day. In fact I think we may have even seen the bloody thing but thought it was a store hut or something. Is there any kind of sign outside. It's just below the start of the two chairlifts or across nearer to the tow/carpet? Is it just wood panelled or painted? Cos no doubt we'll be there again.
snow report
A new family picnic area is also mentioned here http://www.wheretoskiandsnowboard.com/news/val-thorens-introduces-new-runs-new-passes/
ski holidays
Layne,
Yes, thats it. It is a stores underneath for SATA, the lift people. There is a sign on one side but the entrance is sort of hidden, strangely enough.
snow report
skitow, cool could be useful in the future that. Don't tell anyone else though right Toofy Grin
snow conditions
No I won't. Nobody would look at a post about Milky Way picnic huts, pretty stupid idea anyway, they would melt in the sun.
It is best to go in early, like before 12 if you can because there are only about 5 or 6 large picnic benches which seat about 8 or 10. It is very clean and tidy, there are sinks and a toilet and it is 99% used by French people. Definitely handy on a bad weather day.
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
Yellow Pyranha,

Quote:
In some of the large French resorts.

Not trying to call you a liar or catch you out but I have been to a few and don't recall any. Is this a recent thing? I have taken shelter in cable car stations to eat lunch on occasios. Sometimes they even have a bench and/or a loo. Just a bit noisy Mad

Perhaps your 'few' are not the same as my 'some'? Anyway, I'm pretty sure there is one in the top station of the Flegere lift in Chamonix, and others have mentioned VT and Flaine.

They're also pretty normal at cross-country ski areas.
snow conditions
Yellow Pyranha, yeah it does add up. And some seems an accurate description on reflection.
latest report
Quote:

Most small French resorts have them

and some big ones, certainly including Les Deux Alpes. There isn't one in the Espace Diamant though, which I regret (and I wrote them an email about it last year). Picnicking outdoors in nice weather is great, but not if it's cold and blowing a hooly.

We were in a delightful small restaurant on the mountain in Praz sur Arly last week when a group came in - 3 adults and 5 children. It was lunchtime, and the restaurant was moderately busy (and is very small). The guy asked the proprietor whether it would be OK for them to eat their sandwiches (at least, I think that's what was being asked....) and they all ordered drinks. The guy then produced foil wrapped sandwiches for everybody. They didn't stay long, and then off they went. It would have cost a fortune to feed all those kids - but the restaurant sold 8 drinks, and as the group didn't over-stay their welcome, everyone seemed happy. It was a very windy day - wouldn't have been pleasant to eat outside, though there are some picnic tables nearby with a great view.

Les Contamines has a salle "hors sac", too.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy