Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Knee problem

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm after some advice on Knee problems.
When i skied 2 years ago my partner fell on the 2nd day,her ski did not come off and she badly stretched her ligaments. So out for the rest of the holiday.
Also when seeing the doctor at home the doctor said she has loose joints and recommended she did not ski again. But she had loved her first week skiing the year before and had no problems that year, so really wants to ski again.

Last year she was still having the odd twinge so we did not go, but she has been ok all this year so i have now booked to go in 2 weeks time.

So guess what today her Knee is bad and feels bruised on one side ( a bit like it was 6 weeks after she fell she says) So we're not sure what to do, if she would be OK with a knee brace or if we could cancel . Not sure if insurance would pay out. Any advice please.

Regards Mike
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would go to a physio for advice
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Having suffered from knee problems for a long time - broke ACL more than 17 years ago - I would say that, if she really wants to ski, she really needs to reinforce the knee... I was told all those years ago that I should not ski anymore... today I am (almost... one module to go) an ISIA.

A physio will tell her what to do, what exercises she should do, to fix this current problem but it seems to me that, if doing "nothing" her knee is bruised, that she needs loads of muscles on her knee. Develop the quads and hamstrings, do loads of balance exercises, single leg squats...

If you don't want to cancel the holiday for this year, what I would personally do is give it a try... if I were too nervous - and learning to ski is when you are very tense - and didn't feel up to it... I would highly recommend to get some nordic skis and try CLASSIC nordic skiing - it is a great exercise for your knees without impact. So you would stitll be enjoying your ski holiday.

And for next ski holiday, train properly the knees.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mike SWest, As a recent sufferer of knee problems that have both ended in surgery. I would recommend seeing a sports physio as soon as is possible. What you are describing could be a tear in the meniscus that will get worse if nothing is done to strengthen the natural knee support.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for your replies, I don't think it is a tear problem as she has been fine for about a year. I think she has just panicked as a week after I booked the holiday she had pain in the knee again.
It has been fine again today but just in case She saw a sports physio who has recommended some exercises, she has also bought the best hinged knee brace we could find. Both have made her feel a lot better about our trip.
So fingers crossed, 2 weeks to go and we will find out.
Thanks again Mike
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mike SWest wrote:
Thanks for your replies, I don't think it is a tear problem as she has been fine for about a year. I think she has just panicked as a week after I booked the holiday she had pain in the knee again.
It has been fine again today but just in case She saw a sports physio who has recommended some exercises, she has also bought the best hinged knee brace we could find. Both have made her feel a lot better about our trip.
So fingers crossed, 2 weeks to go and we will find out.
Thanks again Mike

I ruptured my ACL 3 seasons ago and have skied (un-repaired) every season since. I ski with an Edge brace by CTi. I'm sure it offers more psychological support than physiological but whatever, it makes me feel better.

But if it's any comfort like your GF my knee always hurts in anticipation of a ski holiday....and on the transfer bus/drive to the resort it throbs. Pretty sure it's all in my head as once I've made a few turns it always resolves. Fingers crossed she'll be fine.

Sharon
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi All. thanks for your replies.
Sorry i have been meaning. to do an update.
We went away on the 22nd of Jan for a week, She wore the knee brace all week for piece of mind but she had no problems so i think it was just a panic thing after last time.

Anyway she has now got her confidence back and is looking forward to next year.

Once again thanks for your replies.

Mike
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy