Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How fit are you?

How do you get fit for your ski trip?
I smoke and/or drink a lot, & never exercise. Yes I'm a slob
10%
 10%  [ 6 ]
I don't smoke or drink, but I don't exercise either
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
I exercise once in a blue moon
16%
 16%  [ 10 ]
'Other sports' at least twice a week (see below)
21%
 21%  [ 13 ]
Yes, one of the categories only though (see below)
15%
 15%  [ 9 ]
Two categories (see below)
16%
 16%  [ 10 ]
Three categories (see below)
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
All four, I'm superfit (see below)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Two or more + at least one other sport, I'm in great shape
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
All four + at least one other sport, I'm crazy
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Voted : 4
Total Votes : 60

Poster: A snowHead
Are snowHeads super fit? Or do they head for the pistes having not broken into a trot since the last ski trip? Broken bones, twists and strains, often don't happen just 'by accident'. Technique is all very well, but fitness is key to minimising risk of injury. Skiing and snowboarding require short intense bursts of energy so specific pre-season training is advisable. Aerobics, interval and weight training, plyometrics (to develop explosiveness, quickness, agility) and balance-orientated sports are play a part in the 'perfect' preparation.

For at least a couple of months before you set off, do you do.....

Category 1 - Interval training - track/gym or bike (2 times pw)
Category 2 - Weight training (min 3 times pw)
Category 3 - Plyometrics (eg jumps, hopping, throwing exercises (min twice per week)
Category 4 - Balance sports (eg cycling, skating min twice per week)
Other sports - (such as squash) that combine one or more of the above, at least 2 times a week...

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think that we all reach a time in our lives where to stay fit and maintain muscle mass etc you have to make a conscious decision to adopt pro-active measures to combat the affects of todays increasingly sedentary lifestyle.

To some this is pretty much a continuation of a previously active lifestyle but for even those who enjoyed and participated in sports when they were younger it is easy to slip into a more comfortable routine as you get older.

When I gave up football in my late thirties I found myself in this situation and within a couple of years found that this was having a major impact on my enjoyment of my passion of mountain walking (and I was also getting fat).

I decided to do something about this and now several years later I go to the gym every night on the way home from work during the winter, run every night during the summer and enjoy a much better diet.

I know that this all sounds a bit sanctimonious but I find I get a genuine buzz out of the benefits of the extra fitness, it has given me a more positive outlook on life and enables me to enjoy my climbing and skiing to their fullest extent despite the advancing years.

I must admit I have a very understanding wife (especialy as she also lets me go out with my mates at weekends Smile ) but even though I have a pretty demanding job I have found it possible to fit this into my lifestyle (actualy she is very very understanding as she also lets me go skiing without her Madeye-Smiley ).

I know that perhaps I am in a better position than others to do this but I think that as you get older it becomes increasingly difficult to regain your fitness levels once they have begun to slide and it is better to address this earlier rather than later.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mmmm, hard to categorise.
Typical (ish) week,
Monday - Gym, stationary bike, one hour, one of three exercises that I rotate.
Tuesday - 5 a side football, one hour.
Wednesday - Gym, circuit session, weights interspersed with stationary bikes, one hour.
Thursday - occational mountain bike night ride, couple of hours.
Friday - gym, 15 mins warm up on bike, 30 min running.
Sat/Sun - bike ride, approx four hours or golf and perhaps hill walking with the family.

Thats the plan, but other things tend to muck it about a fair bit, I'm not a slave to it. I think my fitness is fair, I was much fitter until the second child came along.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think the key is to stay fit, not get fit for skiing by cramming exercise into a month before you go.
Generally my week consists of:
Mon - gym (hour programme of running, cross trainer, step, some weights)
Tues swim (half a mile - 32 lengths)
Wed - gym
Thurs - row on river (four or scull) for about an hour (good for uper body, shoulder strength)
Frid - gym or swim - depending how I feel
Sat - slob - eat drink and be merry
Sun - row on river
Also have large veg garden which keeps me fit digging (i.e. last autumn 2 tons of horse manure!).

Something like Pilates is also very good for skiing (core strength, suppleness and all that). Did do a course and I did notice the difference.

So as you can see, today is my slob day so I shall go off and do some now! Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
OK, only got a week to go. Think I can squeeze all of the above in? Nah, I don't think so either. Ah well, looks like I'll be packing the Radian B & Annadin extra again.... Confused
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Come on, get a grip Eeyore! Out of the sofa now and god for a jog.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I meant 'go for a jog' not god for a jog (or you could always run with a bible!).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I think the key is to stay fit, not get fit for skiing by cramming exercise into a month before you go.

Never a truer word spoken.

I have an innate dislike of gyms, but my job is anything but sedentary (am a secondary school teacher).
Fortunately for my dislike of gyms, the work alone often meets the "20minutes exercise 3x / week" recommendation. However, an 80quid investement in a rowing machine (reconditioned by works, off ebay) has really paid dividends, and 15minutes a night is quite adequate to maintain and improve fitness at minimum time-expense - which is, I suspect, an important consideration for many, me included.

Rowers are excellent for all-round fitness and ski-relevant quads, calfs and upper body. Add some free weights and stretch routines and you have a simple, effective, ski-related fitness programme (and a lot cheaper than the 350quid+ for gym membership !).

A move well worth considering if you want to get fit, stay fit, and want to concentrate on skiing muscles.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As I learnt to my cost... the older you get, the harder it is to get that fitness back after a break. Beverley's regime sounds good to me, as for Mark's, well that's about what I used to manage, a few years back.

I was in the doc's for a check-up the other day. The waiting room was packed with forlorn looking tourists, many of whom had picked up injuries in their first couple of days' skiing. Ok newbies on the slopes are more vulnerable to damaging falls, but you do wonder just how many of them could have avoided injury, stayed on their skis, if they'd taken the trouble to prepare properly for their ski trip.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I do a fair bit of cycling (mountain bike on desert tracks - traffic's too dangerous in town here) and swimming. Considered myself fairly fit for my age (54) but as I discovered recently skiing uses a different set of leg muscles. Still I enjoyed my annual trip to the snows. Agree with comments above that you should try for ongoing fitness rather than a panic burst of activity before your holiday.

Used to live in Tehran at about 5000 ft. Fully altitude-acclimatised. That was wonderful when you came down to sea level. Felt like superman. Leaping over tall buildings in a single bound. Cool
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I keep myself in pretty good nick for my age. The trick is to keep it going throughout the year. In my 20's and 30's I would have put myself in the "superfit" category, since I maintained a high level of athleticism and played rugby and hockey to a good standard. When I gave up rugby I didn't feel the need to train so intensively (being chased by large wing-forwards half your age is a dam' good incentive to keep in shape).

Nevertheless, I still maintained a good general level of fitness, and have always participated in physically demanding sports.

When I took up skiing (in my mid-40's) therefore, it wasn't too much trouble to keep it going, although by that stage my training regime had deteriorated considerably.

Funnily enough, it was skiing that got me training seriously again. A few years ago I damaged my medial collateral ligament, and the rehab. work I was doing got addictive. - That and the fact that I was doing it in a University gymnasium frequented by surprisingly large numbers of lithe young women: it's something that takes your mind off the pain (Austin7, you should try it: it might change your dislike of gyms Wink ).

These days, I find skiing becoming less demanding than it was when I started, and I'm certain that this is because my technique is refining, meaning that I'm using less energy to achieve better results.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I gym and swim in the winter, come the summer I windsurf and sail at least twice a week. The only advantage of my job is the summer holidays when I seem to spend most of my time on the water (brilliant! Very Happy Very Happy ).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Up till this year I would have said option 2. I have decided after this years skiing holiday to try and get fitter, so I have started going to the gym twice a week and also play badminton once or twice a week. So who knows I might actually be more fit next year!!!!!! Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

That and the fact that I was doing it in a University gymnasium frequented by surprisingly large numbers of lithe young women: it's something that takes your mind off the pain (Austin7, you should try it: it might change your dislike of gyms ).

Where I live the local gym is principally frequented by the kind of women who's shape suggests they desparately need to go an awful lot more, which is just one of the reasons why I dont.... Sad

Lorraine, I would be tempted to suggest you spend much of your winter holidays on water, too Wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The reason I don't go to the local gym is that I fear the people there will feel I should go an awful lot more often...
ski holidays
Ian Hopkinson, the reason you don't go to the local gym is you spend all your time posting on snowheads. Tom just did a little calculation: you have posted 726 times and snowheads has been going about 5 weeks (=35 days?), so you have posted nearly 21 times every day!!
(Tom's now had enough of this, and he's chucking me off to play Warcraft3 on Battlenet....)
snow conditions
My post rate is no longer the highest - no calculation required - just check on the memberlist. Very Happy

...more of a Quake man myself... Shocked
latest report
Yep Masopa has a fractionally higher post rate, but Ian still has way more posts and I'm back there in third place on total posts ... Just Razz I spend way too much time on this site at the moment Confused
snow report
Ian Hopkinson, thanks: I didn't realise you could search by so many criteria. Tom thrilled his calculation was so accurate (and he has managed at last to join a "clan" on Battlenet, whatever that means).
snow report
ok, what are your resting pulse rates? I clock in at 51/54 beats a minute.
latest report
Beverley, I'm impressed.
I don't do Resting: with 2 teenagers, hamster and Snowheads it's all go from morning to night (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it).
Pulse rate 70.
ski holidays
Dunno. Skiing really isn't really physically strenuous or difficult, is it, unless you're performing at World Cup level? Of course the couch potato feels his/her muscles after 6-7 hours on the slopes but what about the moderately active (eg, aerobic exercise 3x week) person?
I observe that my 9 year old, whom I can out-run, out-distance (not for much longer!), out-lift, out-stretch etc. etc., has no difficulty doing 7 energetic hours on the piste every day for a week. Maybe an inapt comparison?
latest report
Jonpim wrote:
Beverley, I'm impressed.
I don't do Resting: with 2 teenagers, hamster and Snowheads it's all go from morning to night (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it).
Pulse rate 70.

Jonpim A Resting Pulse rate of 70 is bang on average for a mature healthy Male. Smile
ski holidays
Thanks Maximus: healthy - yes, male - yes, but I've got some mature cheese here and I'm wondering which aspect of mature applies.
snow conditions
Way too unfit to go skiing, can't find a pulse though it used to be surprisingly low for my fitness level, don't care if I die on the piste or in the mountains they will bury me with a smile on my face for I shall have died happy NehNeh
ski holidays
Cee Bee wrote:
Dunno. Skiing really isn't really physically strenuous or difficult, is it, unless you're performing at World Cup level? Of course the couch potato feels his/her muscles after 6-7 hours on the slopes but what about the moderately active (eg, aerobic exercise 3x week) person?
I observe that my 9 year old, whom I can out-run, out-distance (not for much longer!), out-lift, out-stretch etc. etc., has no difficulty doing 7 energetic hours on the piste every day for a week. Maybe an inapt comparison?

I'm one of the better skiers in our group but have tended to find that I work harder when I'm with them rather than off with just a couple of them craking on at a fair pace.
When just 2 or 3 of us go off on our own I tend to lead (I'm a little more experienced and have no trouble working a map) and therefore mostly run at a pace I'm comfortable with them following (if you get my drift). However when I'm with the whole group I tend to flit between the front, the back, picking up stragglers etc so tend to have to work harder.

I don't do anywhere near as much exercise as I should, or indeed as I used to, so I'm overweight but when the ski season approaches I like to get a good hour or so on the dry slope each week which seems to get the right bits back in working order each time. I only got back into skiing in 02 and have only managed a week each year (damn work keeps interfering at the wrong times) but I've noticed even the little I have done has generally gotten me into better shape.
latest report
Cee Bee, you can make skiing as strenuous and as difficult as you want. That is one of the delights of the sport. Some people amble along as if on a Sunday stroll. Others take a different (steeper) route or go like the clappers. It's up to you.
ski holidays
Jonpim, of course you're right, but still, gravity plays a large part. That, or I haven't figured out how ski strenuously.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cee Bee, or maybe you are just very good. I commented recently to our instructor that he never seemed breathless at the end of a run when I was gasping for breath. He just said, if I was doing it right I wouldn't be out of breath. So there you are!
ski holidays
Jonpim, no, I am a terrible skier - but with a LOW center of gravity!!! Pulls me down the piste!!! Wink
latest report
Well, I'm impressed, all these dedicated people who make time for regular gym etc.
I never felt I needed to get fit for skiing, I'm not an athlete, and never had any serious skiing injuries. I'm sure that having done it since the age of 4 has much to do with it, skiing feels as natural as walking.
I have been fit for a couple of years of my life (two seasons in a rowing club) but various injuries put a stop to my training. Right now I'm not quite a blob, do 5 hours on a dry slope and some light weights.
Skiing attracts all shapes and sizes, because you don't need to be very fit or strong to do it. This morning I taught some youngsters and they all did well though none could ever keep up with me walking up the slope. Later on I took my daughter to a climbing club. A very different bunch of kids, even the little ones were zooming up the 20m wall like monkeys on acid.
ski holidays
What's that, roughly a third of snowHeads who admit to being unfit?! At a guess, that would probably indicate a good half of once a year skiers who set off totally unprepared....

Quote:
you don't need to be very fit or strong to do it.

To "do it" properly, to minimise the risk of injury, to get the most enjoyment from a full day on the piste, to improve quickly and get the most benefit from lessons, I reckon nothing could be further from the truth....
snow conditions
Winter "other" sports
-Tai ji quan, once/twice a week
-Swimming once a week

Summer
-Tai ji quan
-Swimming
-Blades
-Bicycle
-Tennis
-running

Not on a regular schedule but whatever time it catches me.
Still, I am unfit.
ski holidays
Matteo, Now that's being honest! Many would claim to be well fit on your winter schedule alone!
latest report
There are reasons...
For me, to be fit means to take a mogul field and ski it top to bottom without the need to stop, on my last experience with one-a very small one- I had to stop and wait a bit.
Fit means to ba able to "hike for my turns" even once in a while. I can't do that.
Fit means that if I pull my son for 50mt at the bottom of the run, whee the flat is (for you that have ben in the Dolomites I'm talking about the end of the Lagazuoi run, near Armentarola) I don't have to stop and catch my breath...
Fit means that I am able to exercise as hard and as long as I like, but alas, I cannot anymore.
Hence, I am not fit.
I bluff my way down the hills, but I need the lifts to go back on top.
latest report
PG, I said you didn't need to be _very_ fit, and I stand by that. I consider myself unfit compared to my potential, but I can still row 2000m in well under 7 minutes. I wonder how many people here could do it. As for strength, it helps to have certain muscles developed (I guess I'm lucky there) but you can do a lot without having a powerful upper body.
You can have fun and make good progress if you have balance, flexibility and good body-awareness, without being superfit.
I guess we all ski for different reasons. If you're into acrobatics or racing, the fitness requirement obviously changes. I don't believe this is why most of us do it, at least not according to replies to the 'why do you ski' thread.
ski holidays
MartinH, See what you mean, but my point was about optimum fitness needed to avoid injury, especially for those (and a large majority of once a year skiers it is too) who really haven't got the technique even if they think they have...

Sure you can have fun, and make progress, if you're lucky and don't knacker yourself in the first few days!
latest report
Matteo, That's as close a description as you can get to describing what real fitness for skiing means... not knowing your fitness limits is often a key factor in injuries over the first day or so, in the "rush" people get when they first hit the slopes.
latest report
I wore my heart rate monitor again last week & burnt off 16,086 cals in just under 38 hours of skiing. Hubby did a whopping 30,386 cals in just over 38 hours.
It's an awful lot of exercise for your body to cope with & if you're not fit then it will be a struggle.
snow report
From a personal point of view, my technique is not the best and so I use a fair bit of energy skiing. As I tire my skiing becomes lazy and my technique becomes even worse, requiring more energy so I tire even more etc. etc.

So, if I'm fitter I ski to a better standard for longer. That's one of the reasons I "up" my training for the ski season.

Proof of the pudding; last year on holiday I got chatting one lunchtime to a bloke who used to race and who now coaches on a dry slope down south (London somewhere IIRC). We agreed to ski together that afternoon and we had a great time, he knew the resort well and we skiied at a quick pace. He doesn't train anymore, but his technique was far superior to mine and for the first couple of hours I was having to ski hard to keep up. But as he got tired I found our places changed and he was struggling to keep up with the pace. I knew I had him when he asked for a beer stop. Twisted Evil
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy