Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone recommend any resorts for summer skiing?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No, but I can suggest not bothering with Zermatt. The summer skiing is limited and rather dull. It's a wonderful place for summer walking and climbing, of course, but if you want more than a couple of mornings skiing, it's not the place.

Not very helpful, sorry.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Somewhere in the southern hemisphere possibly ?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Antarctica?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tignes (Grande Motte glacier) is one of the best in Europe.
Alpe D'Huez July 2nd - 30th only on the Sarenne Glacier.
What's that decent one in Italy ??????
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Passo Tonale, but the glacier isn't very extensive
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As easiski hasn't yet suggested it-Les Deux Alpes, opens on June 18th .
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://www.ifyouski.com/resorts/summerski/

http://www.goski.com/summer.htm
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB, thanks but La Plagne is doubtful for opening (and rather small anyway) and Les Diablerets definitely won't open this summer.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kuwait_ian wrote:
DB, thanks but La Plagne is doubtful for opening (and rather small anyway) and Les Diablerets definitely won't open this summer.

ifyouski obviously have not heard of global warming. La Plagne, Val Thorens and Val d'Isère are all shut. I have my doubts about l'alpe d'Huez as there has been so little snow at altitude there this winter. I may go take a look at the glacier early July before I go on holiday.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Never been there myself but Hintertux is supposed to be one of the best European resorts for Summer glacier skiing.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
takingthepiste, Hintertux in Austria is - indeed - hard to beat for summer skiing, which is why national teams have always favoured it for training.

I personally like the Stubai glacier too. Haven't skied it for quite some years, so I don't know how it's holding up.

The glacier above Saas Fee in Switzerland is good, too. A decent gradient, and the village is a lovely place to be. Why not do Saas Fee for a couple of days, and then hop on the train up to Zermatt. Richmond is slightly unfair on its glacier - there's a big new 6-seat chair servicing quite a good run (but be sure to check the timetables for which lifts are going to run on which dates), and you get about 1000m of vertical in high summer (much of which is quite flat, but the scenery is outrageously good) from the highest t-bar to Trockener Steg.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've summer skied at Zermatt, Saas Fee, Tignes and Hintertux, and Hintertux is definitely the best. Also been to Kaprun, ValT, VdI Alpe d'Huez & La Plagne but only in winter, and would like to try Stubai sometime. There's also Solden and probably a few other places....

But still, the biggest and best summer skiing in Europe does not even begin to compare with a proper week's skiing in any Alpine resort in normal winter conditions - like Richmond says, don't go unless you want a mixed holiday with tennis/golf/mountain biking/canoeing/whatever.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
IMHO Hintertux is better than Sölden for summer skiing.

The end of summer is the worst time to go (Aug/Sep) but great conditions with very few people around can be had if you watch the weather esp. just either side of the winter season.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
[/quote]Richmond is slightly unfair on its glacier - there's a big new 6-seat chair servicing quite a good run (but be sure to check the timetables for which lifts are going to run on which dates), and you get about 1000m of vertical in high summer (much of which is quite flat, but the scenery is outrageously good) from the highest t-bar to Trockener Steg.[/quote]

It's a long time since I summer skiied in Zermatt, and it was late in the season (it snowed a bit), but it is very flat. The scenery is indeed fantastic, and the skiing glacier (Theodulgletscher?) gives one of the best views of the Matterhorn.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 15-06-05 14:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
richmond, is that North Yorkshire or London? wink
ski holidays
marc gledhill, London.
snow report
Save you dough up & head down to South America

I've posted some shots of what you can expect

http://www.frostybear.net/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=80
latest report
Like richmond said, unless you are combining it with other activities, or you are just going for the scenery, I wouldn't bother. That especially applies at the tail end of summer August / September. At best you'll just find yourself sliding around on slushy ice!
snow conditions
What is the snow/ski conditions like in October/November on the Glaziers?
And are you able to get a full days skiing rather than 7/8 am till ~lunch time?

Especially Switzerland or Austria.
snow report
davidb, you can get a full day's skiing. But October is too early to be sure of decent snow. You should check the snow reports and only book at the last minute if you want to ski in Oct. Even November is too early to be sure of the snow.
latest report
davidb wrote:
What is the snow/ski conditions like in October/November on the Glaziers?
And are you able to get a full days skiing rather than 7/8 am till ~lunch time?

Especially Switzerland or Austria.

It really depends on the weather. I've had fresh powder on the Austrian glaciers Oct/Nov during certain years but other years it was either too dry / warm / foggy. Watch the weather and book late.
snow report
takingthepiste, As Helen Beaumont, says Les Deux Alpes is pretty good (well, I admit to being biased)! We have the widest skiable glacier in Europe and one of the biggest areas in terms of hectares. This year they've done lots of great work, and have allowed more space for "regular" skiers and less for the race training lanes. See my post on snow conditions.

However, wherever you ski in the summer go as early as possible June/first 2 weeks of July are best, and not too busy. Late July begins to get busier and August brings the French out in numbers. For info on the runs see www.les2alpes.com and check out the piste map.

I've skied Zermatt and liked it, but at that time the uplift was very slow - seems to have been improved now. Stubai is very pretty, but not very big - Pitztal ditto. Soldern is good but a long drive from the town (which I didn't care for all that much).

Hope all this helps. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy