Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The one-piece skisuit: dead forever, or overdue for revival?

Poster: A snowHead
Recent years have seen the one-piece suit turn into an object of ridicule, for reasons which aren't quite clear.

Did you switch from a one-piece to a jacket-and-ski pants? Was it a good move, or did you primarily follow fashion?

Do you still wear a one-piece, and stand by the decision? Or have you always rejected the one-piece?

What are the vital features for day-long comfortable skiwear? ...

... and do you prefer insulated or uninsulated outerwear?

It would be interesting to see some critical comment on skiwear. Do you pay particular attention to pockets and hoods? Or are you a sucker for colour and impact?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was stuck in a onepiece as a child and always found them really uncomfortable and restricting. Just the practical nightmares of trying to go to the toilet, without getting it all on the floor, in the wet etc... was hard enough as a kiddy let alone as an adult so at the earliest possible oppurtunity I switched to trousers and jacket.

So through my teenage years I was in your standard salopettes and jacket - normally fairly fitted (i.e. not skater baggy). Gradually I've found I prefer not to wear the shoulder straps - again, from a practicality point of view when going to the loo and not wanting to take off the jacket and jumpers etc..

So then in my early twenty's I did 2 seasons and all my friends were boarders so I bought my first pair of boardpants and have never looked back. Nice and baggy they're not restrictive at all and no shoulder straps or removable ones anyway.

Plus, I get very cold, even in spring and the bagginess of the board trousers means I can wear my thermals underneath without feeling too wrapped up - you know that feeling when you're wearing so many layers it gets uncomfortable.
In more recent years I've preferred a slightly baggier jacket too as my ARVA feels more comfortable underneath and I like to be able to layer up if I'm cold without my jacket feeling tight.

As for insulation - due to being cold all the time I like to have insulated outerwear as it really helps with the warmth thing but the biggest breakthrough for me was discovering thermals - they look awful on but no one sees them and it really does help me stay out all day instead of having to come home early coz I'm too cold.

Colour etc... is important for me - I'm in my mid twenties so fashion does have a bearing on what I like to wear. But not so much the name. I'll tend to go for Burton trousers purely because I've found them the warmest and most durable but I'd be happy to go for a less well known make if someone told me it was as good for warmth etc.. and I liked the style.

Pockets etc.. do matter to me because I like to ski without a pack on wherever possible and inside pockets etc.. are needed for the keys and mobile phone.

I think I'm rambling on now so am going to shut up! (it's a very quiet night at work, this evening - can you tell?!!)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Never wore a one piece and I don't think they make one in Giant Panda size so I'm not going to get one now

I get a good quality long Breathable shell jacket with big chest pockets and plenty of them plus a decent wired hood for really bad weather, chest pocket are better than hip pockets as you can still get to them on chairlifts etc.

Trousers by Columbia,Black uninsulated but wind and waterproof plus breathable, I've skied in sub -15C without thermals under them and been fine, they have braces that can be unclipped if you need to
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
[At this juncture I'll quietly and discreetly confess to still skiing in a one-piece. It was made by Marker (at least it has their logo on it). Not a bad design, though the hood is useless. I must like one-pieces, because it's the fourth in a line I've used over - errr, now this is getting really embarrassing - about 25 years.

I'm really hoping one-pieces return to fashion, because I'd find it unnatural to revert to combination skiwear now. I like being sealed in, without any complications around the waist. I always go for uninsulated, though if I was still working on mountains through the cold months that wouldn't be the case!]
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't like all-in-ones, my gear is comfortable and not restrictive. I also like to be able vary the jacket for a windstopper on very hot days.

I wouldn't be interested in one even if they made a technical one-peice with vents and everything, I'm sure.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
For those new to snowHead (this link has been posted before) There is an article on this subject here http://www.fluorescentrompersuits.co.uk/
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wore an all-in-one for ages: just because I'm loath to get rid of things before they've worn out. Then bib-style salopettes with shoulder straps - same thing. Now in regular jacket and trousers, which are so much better: principally at toilet time! I can't imagine going back.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've never used a one piece ski suit, but last year I did have to search long and hard to find a shell layer with proper salopettes and a matching jacket. I find that if I use normal trousers which aren't a salopette, I get the builders bum thing happening on chairlifts and in deep powder, especially in cold weather. The salopettes that I have now have a "crap flap" built into them, that you can unzip, which makes trips to the toilet a doddle once you've got the hang of it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kramer, just be extra careful with that zip. I'd rather have a broken arm.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PG,

LOL Very Happy Toofy Grin Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I had a one-piece when I learned to ski 20yrs ago as a kid (C&A, probably about £20!) but would never go back. If you have a good waterproof jacket & trousers plus various fleeces it's so much more versatile. In p1ssing rain at home the goretex jacket is useful, in spring skiing or touring, or at a snowdome, the waterproof pants and thin fleeces are useful but the jacket is unnecessary. You wouldn't want a one-piece for any of this. Fashion doesn't come into it.

The only necessary (and therefore cool) one-pieces are the Himalayan expedition duvet one-pieces....but for skiing maybe overkill!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I use a one piece ski suit - label is Killy. Very hightech including vent zips. Works for me. Not bothered by colour or fashion - what I wear is not anyone else's business.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I don't think the Germans realise that they aren't in fashion! Shocked They look something like this Eh oh!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've had two, a black EVF (read C&A) followed by a slightly less black, sort of petroly coloured, Nevica. They were OK, but a pain on warm days as it was hard to vent them, so you ended up with the top tied round your waist.

When the Nevica died I switched to a Phoenix jacket and trouser set up. Both insulated, and the pants nearly came up to my chest! Great in cold weather, but again a bit sweaty in warm weather.

I now use uninsulated jacket and pants (I think the pants may be climbing pants), and just layer underneath according to conditions. It's by far the most flexable way to go and I rarely have to put thermal leggings on.

Fashion/colour, not really too bothered, but as I want the stuff to last me as long as possible I go for blacks and subdued colours usually as it doen't show the oil from old lifts and tends not to look too dated after half a dozen years.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Onepieces? I spent a season in one and really rather liked it. But I think I prefer multi-part layering systems for flexibility. One pieces are great on powder days though.

Long day skiwear? Decent breathable layering. Good technical underwear (not cotton...). For bad weather a good hood. I like the fact my jacket is sized for ice-climbing with lengthened sleeves so toasty wrists. Lots of good pockets - although I typically have a pack on - so they should be accessible without removing the pack. Braces - bought new Mountain hardwear pants last year cunningly tailored to let you do the necessary without removing layers - total nightmare. Had to add new braces to keep my nether regions snug.

Another point -> locking fly zips - my Peak pants had a fly that descended nearly as fast as me. Snow skirt. High degree of waterproofness (favour goretex but don't want to raise that thread again). Definitely un-insulated outerwear - I like to layer/unlayer as the day changes.

Colours? Sadly so. Totally disappointed at the endemic wearing of black trousers. Whatever happened to nice bright colours? I want a lime green pair Happy Jackets marginally better, but only just so.

What I find really disappointing are gloves. I still want to find a good pair of heavy leather gloves with a goretex insert. Nearly bagged a pair last year but too late in season to get my size. This year though....
snow report
One pieces are so out they are almost in. We went to Zermatt two years ago. Two of the lads were shopping for clothes and saw a fetching one piece (white) at Decathlon for £30. One pal suggested the other should buy it after assuring him it was the latest thing and very practical. He got a full week of **ss taking skiing in it. Great. We are thinking of obtaining old one-pieces for this years trip, especially looking for 80s style ones, any offers?
I ski in Dianese trouser with go faster stripes, they have knee and back bottom pads - great for falling over in. No braces to get on your nerves. Choice oj jackets, I want a bright red one though as my black one is a bit dull, is all gore-tex etc etc. I think ArcTeryx make the best technical ski jackets at the mo, they are ludicrously expensive tho..
snow report
Quote:

I ski in Dianese trouser with go faster stripes, they have knee and back bottom pads - great for falling over in.

but have you tried the ones with auto-inflating airbags for really serious falls?
ski holidays
.......oh yes, pockets and hoods (sorry David Goldsmith, I'd forgotten) - never use them. Everything goes in a daysack and I've never needed to use the hood, I prefer a hat and thin balaclava combo in bad weather.

So THE main factors are technical performance and flexability.
snow report
Facinating. From the female point of view one pices are a nightmare - impossible to go to the loo in a mountain restaurant. I use trousers and jacket. Pockets are very important as I don't like packs (hide my logo), so I have a lot to carry. Warmth is most important, although I probably need warmer clothes than most due to being out on the mountain for up to 8 hours a day without actually expending much physical energy. I (seriously) do wear at least 2 pairs of fleece trousers under my (top quality) trousers, and around 7-8 layers under my jacket (HD Extreme, just being changed for a North Face for next year)! I look about 3 sizes bigger than I am on the mountain!!!! Colour? Went for black and silver/grey as it doesn't show the dirt and is never the latest thing but always looks good.

ps: I do actually still have a one piece, but it's in the summer bag for lending out. wink
snow report
You'll never see a guide wearing a one-piece. I wonder why?
ski holidays
Tim Brown, can't find them in blue?
ski holidays
Function:
- I wonder how much skiing stance affects the feel of a one-piece. Specifically, whether discomfort in a one-piece might mean a significant arching of the upper back area. Now that boots are softer and the hips are supposed to stay forward, perhaps one-pieces have a future? I see Obermeyer, Killy and Nils still have them in their line.

- Going to the loo: in an un-insulated one you very simply unzip and roll the suit down past the bottom then use the sleeves to tie the thing in place. very tidy and compact, though I imagine it helps to have un-short femurs. Very Happy My bike and skate skinsuits all have short sleeves so I had snaps stitched on just to do this.

Aesthetics well, the good-looking ones look to me like uniforms, with the epaulettes and colour blocking. Tim Brown I've seen guides wear the North Face mountaineering ones from around '96-'98. Perhaps your answer is that they'd have to get them from Obermeyer, Killy or Nils these days?
ski holidays
comprex, Trying to follow your system in the loo, in a hurry (clients waiting), floor soaking, and short legs............................. I always got the sleeves on the floor regardless of how I tried to keep them tucked in! Sad Sad Sad
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, I wear a ( Decathlon) one-piece, purchased for this/last season. Recommended as I was a beginner and would keep the snow out of the important bits when I fell. Really benefited me so far and a garment I would reccomend to any ((male) beginner of any age for that reason. No problem with loos - I just don't (need to) sit down. Even when -20c in January the only undergarments I wore were knickers and high spec vest.

Confess I wish I had had more disposble layers in Spring sunshine though. I must have looked a total dick at coffee breaks sitting there with my top rolled down! But then again no more stupid than I do on the pistes. Embarassed
snow conditions
easiski, Is this where the 'Dare to dive' motto is from?
ski holidays
Tim Brown, " You'll never see a guide wearing a one-piece"

You won't have been heliskiing with TLH or CMH (I understand) then? All the TLH guides wear one pieces, Schoeller fabric, not very waterproof, very breathable. Admittedly in a slightly different thermal/snow environment to (I guess) most of us. One-piece in powder's great.
latest report
Kramer wrote:
The salopettes that I have now have a "crap flap" built into them, that you can unzip, which makes trips to the toilet a doddle once you've got the hang of it.

'Once you have got the hang of it' ? Not much room for error though.

Brown would be the sensible colour.......... while you are learning rolling eyes .
latest report
duplicate

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 16-06-05 0:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
comprex wrote:
Latchigo, do you really want to advertise that you're still learning.

Hello, pleased to meet you {why won't anyone shake my hand Puzzled }
ski holidays
Kramer wrote:
The salopettes that I have now have a "crap flap" built into them, that you can unzip, which makes trips to the toilet a doddle once you've got the hang of it.

I seriously contemplated buying a pair of salopettes with a zip up both legs and around the top of the bum just below the waist; handy for ventilation and the bog. However, I was concerned that my son and/or my chums would unzip the thing while I was in a lift queue or at the bar, so I didn't buy them. Has this proved a problem for you?
snow conditions
richmond, padlocks are available to fit the zips on luggage. Perhaps they can also be used on salopette zips.
latest report
I think everyone has the right to wear whatever they want but then they must be able to accept ridicule. Today the one-piece is viewed as an old-fashioned garment and represents an uncool, naff, styless look from the past. Obsession with image and being accepted by others is a sad part of today's society but I think, David, to understand the ridicule, try dressing in crushed velvet loon-pants, platform shoes, tie-dyed t-shirt and walk round London to gain a similar effect.
snow conditions
I once crossed Hampstead Heath in a pair of almost fluourescent yellow flared jeans and was jumped on by a muddy Labrador.

So far, no dog has trashed my one-piece skisuit.
ski holidays
chris, If you dressed like that the kids would all think it was fab retro wouldn't they?
snow conditions
David Goldsmith, the fashion police are on their way!
latest report
chris wrote:
David, to understand the ridicule, try dressing in crushed velvet loon-pants, platform shoes, tie-dyed t-shirt and walk round London to gain a similar effect.

Chris you must of met David because that's how he normally dresses Laughing
snow report
David, you're lucky (or unlucky!) it was a dog that jumped on you on hampstead Heath!
latest report
chris wrote:
David, you're lucky (or unlucky!) it was a dog that jumped on you on hampstead Heath!

Still, at least he was'nt wearing trousers with a zip up the back bottom at the time.......
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy