Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go with young family and one no skier who likes shopping (male)

Poster: A snowHead
Any ideas for family friendly ski resort not too dear..My criteria:
Kids are 2nd time skiers so i need mainly blue and poss red runs
Nice wide slopes
preferably not far from ski lifts as it is a nightmare carrying three sets of skis
Europe or Canada
Some shopping clothes/leather/gadgets/electrical etc for hubby... or something to do when we on slopes
Dont want much do I?
Thanks in advance!
PS I'm going Feb half term 19-26th 2006
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A male that would rather shop for leather electrical gadgets, than ski Shocked Shocked Shocked

Sorry badgerdot, cant help with a resort, but i can suggest some self-help groups for your hubby wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Courmayeur. Good for intermediates and non-skiers. Not that cheap though. Could be hard to meet all the criteria!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Possibly some of the Italien resorts ? They seem to be more fashion orientated wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
badgerdot, What kind of thing would your husband like to do in addition to shopping ( I am still trying to get over this, I hate shopping Puzzled ).

We have the reverse problem, in that my Wife can't ski ( leg broken in three places then infected non union of the tibia ). The most acceptable solution has been to go where there are facilities like swimming pool and hot tubs. So Stowe has been visited a couple of times, but slopeside accommodation is not abundant. However resort hotel/motels like The Golden Eagle and the Stoweflake have very good facilities. Better, however, was Panorama in BC, the outdoor hot pools and tubs are slopeside, as is the accommodation ( mainly ) and was just brilliant. Skiing would suit your needs as well.

CP

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 14-06-05 19:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The shopping thing is very weird. Still, takes all sorts.

badgerdot, if you can be bothered to travel so far for a week, Banff might do the trick. The skiing would suit you fine, Banff is a very pleasant spot indeed, with shopping and loads of other (hugely preferable) things to do. The Banff Springs Hotel is a great place to stay if you like big hotels, with excellent facilities (pools, spa, skating). You have to drive (or bus) to lifts, but the old man can drop you right by the gondola at Sunshine (the main skiing near Banff) prior to hitting the retailers.

BTW, our kids' half term is 13-17.02.05 (I know it varies, but I'll mention it anyway).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CP, unless they've emerged in the last couple of years, there aren't a lo of shops in Panorama.

How about Andorra - plenty of opportunity for electrical shopping there?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Okanagan, True - good isn't it snowHead Invermere was a bit lifeless too, so SP and I only got dragged down there once as well Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
badgerdot, Dubai. Great sand skiing and plenty of shopping.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Shopping= Milton Keynes and apparently one can Ski there as well Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whistler was great for shopping.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
badgerdot, Megève has lots of the type of skiing you require, and is a charming village / small town with excellent (but expensive) shops and restaurants, etc. The lifts queues aren't all that bad at half term, if you know when / how to avoid a couple of pinch points. You might even bump into yours truly, not that I'm claiming that as an advantage. Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Madesimo in Italy would do you for a resort, send the strange bloke to Milan and Bergamo for a days shopping each, then send him on a snowmobile day trip over the Splugen Pass to St Moritz.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lyon charter terminal is excellent for shopping. Earlier this year I was able to buy a Toblerone there.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty the Snowman, with or without a second mortgage?
ski holidays
Check out Whistler!

Hey but I am biased I live here.
ski holidays
Hassle Free, you lucky thing you!!! Had a great time there at Easter, although we were worried about the snow (it all fell hte daybefore we arrived!!!)
ski holidays
slikedges, your suggestion of Dubai is not as silly as it first seems. Opening September this year the 3rd largest indoor snowdome in the world. Also golf, water sports, fishing etc.
Frosty the Snowman, ah the infamous Lyons departures tent. [yorkshire accent]You were lucky[/yorkshire accent] I got stuck in there once when Air Algerie aquaplaned a 737 off the end of the runway and closed the place. Overflowing rubbish bins and not a single thing to eat and drink available. Never again.
Hassle Free welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead
latest report
kuwait_ian, i knew that, course i did. wink

Hassle Free, Welcome to snowHead.....and can you put up a family of 6? wink
snow report
laundryman,
Quote:

with or without a second mortgage?

Having bought a house ooop north 20 yrs ago we didnt need a mortgage coz it was only 2s 6d. This was considerably less than my Toblerone Very Happy
snow report
badgerdot,
Take my advice with a pinch of salt, I would rather have my toe nails without anaesthetic removed than shop when I could be skiing but here goes.

I would avoid French resorts at this time as they are usually very very crowded particularly the childrens ski school and arranging family meetings with a none skier could be difficult.

Traditional shopping resorts like Zermatt are expensive and dont have the kind of shops most blokes are interested in.

A couple of places I would consider are Innsbruck and Aosta they are traditional towns with skiing a relativly short distance above them.
If you want to be near to the slopes you can stay in the resorts attached to them and your husband can travel down to them whilst you and family ski. To find the accomodation nearest to the ski school meeting place contact the tourist offices.

The resorts attached to them are Igls and Axamer Lizum for Innsbruck and Pila for Aosta. A further caveat I have never been to either place and know them by reputation only. The skiing is said to be good at the level you require. Hope this helps.
snow conditions
badgerdot, Innsbruck is a good suggestion. The skiing in Axams is probably exactly what you are looking for. It's not a huge resort, but there's a couple of interesting runs there even for advanced skiers. Never tried Igls. Lots of possibilities just a 30-45 min drive away in Stubai (glacier and non-glacier) and in Kuehtai.
snow report
Thank you for your warm embrace all.. (I would add some little smiley guys here but I am not sure how).

slikedges - I can put up a family of 6 quite easily. in fact I cam give you a number of options based on your comfort levels, location to the lifts, private or common hot tub,..... you name it I will find you the ideal spot!

Helen Beaumont - thanks for the welcome - you timing this year could have not been any better. If I am correct you came in on a Monday, becasue that big dump happened on the Sunday. I was up for First Tracks on Monday.. sweetness all day long with no big line ups
ski holidays
Hassle Free, Sunday night actually.
snow report
Hassle Free, for th smilies, just click on the ones below the reoly box!!!!!
snow conditions
Hassle Free, I'm not shy. I meant with you! wink
latest report
badgerdot The suggestions of Innsbruck and Aosta by T-bar are good. I know the Aosta area quite well, its well located, easy to get to with excellent resorts and lots of history although I think the shopping is probably better in Innsbruck. You can stay in Aosta and take the gondola up to Pila each day. have a look at this website to get a feel for the area http://www.regione.vda.it/turismo/stations_e.asp . Its also not too far from Turin so hubby may like to see a bit of of footy at the Stadi di Alpi if he like football. Bear in mind, the Winter Olympics are in Turin next year.
snow report
Ha ha thanks everyone....yes it is unusual, the shopping thing....its not just mens clothes either, he's happy to trudge for hours looking at womens stuff with me!....sounds a bit gay doesn't he? Actually in his defence, he would rather ski, but he has an ankle problem and is waiting for an operation.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Greg Capper wrote:
You can stay in Aosta and take the gondola up to Pila each day. have a look at this website to get a feel for the area http://www.regione.vda.it/turismo/stations_e.asp . Its also not too far from Turin so hubby may like to see a bit of of footy at the Stadi di Alpi if he like football. Bear in mind, the Winter Olympics are in Turin next year.

Ha ha ...this sounds really worrying in addition to the shopping thing...but he doesnt like footy either! He's an ice hockey man...hence Canada being on my list, but I've since heard that Canada is way too cold so that's a no go now...thanks for all your suggestions tho I will check that out
ski holidays
badgerdot, It's not just Canada that gets cold - the season just passed in the Alps had some extremely long cold spells. I would not pass over Canada because of temperature, when we were in Panorama it was scorching - admittedly it was the end of March but is was unseasonal weather.

CP
ski holidays
badgerdot, it depends when you go to Canada; at Easter it's not usually particularly cold, although the hockey season's over so unless the Flames or the Canucks (depending on where you're skiing) make it to the play offs, you won't see any then. February can be bloody cold, but with thermals and a face mask, you'll be fine.
ski holidays
badgerdot two words: Courchevel 1850. It's got eveything on your list barring, plus it's driving(ish) distance to Bourg where your hubby can [sighs, rolls eyes] shop for any electronic stuff wot's a bit scarce in Courchevel.

But lets face it, there's really nowhere in the world that's going to fully satisify your skiing needs AND hubby's current shopping needs. At least until his ankle's sorted, something's gotta give and I suspect it won't be your skiing needs.....
Toofy Grin
snow report
Erm Manda, think you should check out your map again, Bourg is not the nearest place to Courch to visit for electronic gear (Moutiers and Albertville are), and anyway there's bgr all in the way of decent stores for that sort of thing in Bourg. You really need to visit the place before recommending it for one of the few things it doesn't have for tourists.
ski holidays
Are there regular tourists in Courchevel (eg people without a bodyguard) who actually go shopping and buy things there?
latest report
I'd have to say I think Courchevel also misses out on the not to dear, in spades. It is the priciest resort I have been to. It will also be crowded mid Feb.
snow report
It has to be Innsbruck, it's the only city I can think of with skiing nearby, one of my abiding memories is catching an Innsbruck city tram to go skiing. Super city, lots of history and great facilities. I can't believe Manda's suggestion for shopping in Bourg, she's obvisously never shopped there, even the locals go to Albertville and that's not exactly the centre of the universe.
ski holidays
Can he drive with his bad ankle?

If so you could always stay in Italy or Austria and get him to run you round to the various resorts. He drops you off, goes shopping, picks you up later. He gets to see a few different shopping places you get to ski a few resorts. With it's high density of ski resorts Austria would be ideal.

If he can't drive then get to somewhere on a main railway line so he can train it to various places (Innsbruck would be a good base).
latest report
David@traxvax wrote:
I can't believe Manda's suggestion for shopping in Bourg, she's obvisously never shopped there, even the locals go to Albertville and that's not exactly the centre of the universe.
How can you say that, haven't you seen the massive furniture store being built next to the MacDonalds in Bourg? wink
snow report
Wow, a furniture store, that's an attraction that's hard to ignore.
ski holidays
PG wrote:
Erm Manda, think you should check out your map again, Bourg is not the nearest place to Courch to visit for electronic gear (Moutiers and Albertville are), and anyway there's bgr all in the way of decent stores for that sort of thing in Bourg. You really need to visit the place before recommending it for one of the few things it doesn't have for tourists.

there's a Darty isn't there near Super U? and Super-U have got a extensive range of batteries and light bulbs & you could pre-order other stuff from Redoute and pick it up at the post office.

Innsbruck was a great suggestion, Bern & Lausanne maybe as well. Maybe Interlaken although I don't know it personally.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy