Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mobile Phone Networks and GPRS in the Alps?

Poster: A snowHead
I've just been thinking about how i'm going to do my internet habit while in Verbier/Le Chable this coming season and would like to use the freedom of my mobile phones GPRS connection.
I'm currently with Vodafone but was wondering if I should be looking at another provider for over there?

If any of you guys and ladies do this kind of thing would be grateful for any advice or feedback on your experiences.

Thanks,

Chris
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rockyrobin, a lot of people get sim cards from local companies whilst they are out doing a season.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kramer, Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for mobile phone retailers while i'm out there.
I seem to remember someone telling me that parts of Verbier have Wifi Internet available though I have not noticed anyone on here mention it.
If anyone has also heard of this would be grateful for the heads up as i'm thinking maybe I was just imagining it! Embarassed
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rockyrobin,
Have a look at www.Latania.co.uk there is advice on internet + mobile phones there. Follow the links on the right hand side of page under the heading of 'other stuff'
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boredsurfin, Some good info there cheers Smile
Its been so long since i've used dialup, but seeing as the local call rate free access is available, I wonder if this may be the cheapest way to go.
I'm also wondering if it may be worth asking the owner of the Studio/Apartment I hope to rent whether they would be agreeable to me ordering broadband on their line for 5 months. The thought of snail paced internet gives me a sinking feeling in my stomach Sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've found GPRS coverage generally good in the French Alps. But, U are paying by the MB of data (remember to bear in mind that most D/L quotas are measured in GB's these days) and on a UK contract, the foreign networks are going to sting u badly per MB.

To give u a clearer indication of scale, at the eosb a few weeks ago I was being charged £8.51/mb +VAT for using SFR on an Orange UK contract.
Let's face it - at about £1 per typical webpage - that's fairly restrictive!

Yes, people get French (or Swiss) sims but many (all?) networks wont give u GPRS access on a PAYG basis and it's not easy getting a contract if your not a resident of the country.
I would [u]really[/i] like to get an affordable GPRS connection sorted for use on the European mainland - anyone got any bright ideas?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rockyrobin, there's a SwissCom service that may interest you here

Obviously pay as you go GPRS services are available, it's a nice earner for the telco.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rockyrobin, A friend of mine who travels a lot for business uses a laptop with a plug in GPRS card through Vodafone and gets good coverage in the Alps generally, but he's glad the company foot the bill. Its better to let your laptop process the data - much quicker than a mobile, as for who to get your card from I defer to the locval experts.

It could cure you of your internet adiction if you don't set up the solution though...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Leave your phones,PDA's, Laptops etc at home.

Who needs to be in contact 24*7 when your on holiday or bumming the season.

Your have a much more relaxing time without them Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Find an internet cafe!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I can cheat my friendly hotelier will allow me access through his wireless network wink If you spend an entire season in a resort in the same accomodation it should be possible to find a local isp who will act as a provider, sometimes the cable tv people can do that, alternatively make friends with the locals, the worst (most expensive) option will be to use a local mobile phone network
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stanton wrote:
Leave your phones,PDA's, Laptops etc at home.

Who needs to be in contact 24*7 when your on holiday or bumming the season.

Your have a much more relaxing time without them Very Happy

So they can keep us all up to date with conditions I'd guess Very Happy

Personally, during the week, I have a blackberry and mobile in my pocket and laptop with VPN and GPRS/WLAN in the car so I can give the impression of working when I'm actually skiing.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ise wrote:
Personally, during the week, I have a blackberry and mobile in my pocket and laptop with VPN and GPRS/WLAN in the car so I can give the impression of working when I'm actually skiing.

Exactly! With email and calls forwarded to your mobile, nobody even needs to know you're away! More communications technology = more time skiing. For me, that's a great equation.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar.org.uk, quite, people walking by the office think I'm working now in fact Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks guys,

A lot to think about there. I had a looksee at the Swisscom site but one of you guys must have handed me a "thicky batton" so I'll take a look at that when i'm in a more proactive state of mind Laughing
The mentions of £8/MB make me feel like the mobile idea may have to be abandoned Sad
Its been a long time since I skied on the continent so don't know what to expect. I had visions of 5 months being over there would leave me plenty of time each evening for my internet fix, perhaps while making dinner. Perhaps not the way you guys are sounding. At least I could keep my website updated with daily pics for those guys and ladies unfortunate enough not to be able to be sliding.
I'll try and digest what you guys have told me so far, and when I get my accomodation sorted I hope you guys won't mind me badgering you some more if I haven't passed on the "thicky batton" Laughing

Cheers,

Chris snowHead
ski holidays
rockyrobin, there's a reasonable chance that your accomodation may have internet connectivity for a reasonable price, In Wengen you can get it through the cable tv lines (at 2Mbit speeds) and they will hire you an adaptor on a monthly basis for a reasonable rate, hopefully you will find something similar
latest report
rob@rar.org.uk,

Rob does your Les Arc appartment have WiFi / broadband yet?
snow report
bordsurfin, last time I checked with Wanadoo, they had broadband in Arcs 2000 and as far as Seez.
snow conditions
David@traxvax,
I saw one of the Val Thorens Hotels (with a webcam) was boasting of having WiFi, thats presumably on a satellite then?
ski holidays
I would guess so, although the Tourist Office in the village has broadband supplied by our local electricity company.
ski holidays
boredsurfin, broadband has reached Val Thorens - friends of mine had it in their apartment last season, supplied by France Telecom.
latest report
D G Orf, Sounds like they're more flexible than over here.
I'll make a point of asking the accomodation offers whether they have cable. Could be the difference between picking one over another Smile
..........That is if I get any offers of accomodation Confused
Hehe, jumping the gun and getting my priorities in the wrong order Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy