Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Leg-specific workout plan enclosed, advice requested!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Hope this is of interest to people. I've just put together a rough workout plan to get my legs back into shape for skiing. I was interested to get your thoughts as to anything missing/needing to be changed, as my legs are usually just worked out through my circuits, and thus I havent put a leg-specific programme together before. I'm a 27 year old, 13st 6 and 6ft 1, been skiing since 7, mainly fast on-piste, so endurance and strength both important to me.

Warm up - bodyweight only:

Squat thrusts
1x15

Burpees
1x15

Bodyweight squats
1x15

--------------------------------------------

Seated leg extensions
2x10
2x10 (1 leg 50% weight)
1 to fail

Standing calf raises
3x10

Seated leg press
3x10
1 to fail

Glutes cable pull
2x10 each leg

Hip flexor cable pull
2x10 each leg

Hamstring curls
3x10

Lunges on Smith Machine
2x15

I've not worked out actual weights yet as I need to go through each exercise and find out what is appropriate. This will be in addition to what I'm already doing (3x circuit based full-body stuff with one power/strength day).

Any / all feedback appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you are out of balance even the strongest legs in the world will get tired while skiing. I find that exercises with balance built in are more effective for skiing. (e.g. Calf raise on the edge of a step, sqats on a bosu, one legged squats, balance board squats etc). A recreational skier is likely to ski for hours rather than flat out for a few mins so lower intensity / longer duration cardio work in addition also helps. Many fitness people don't like the hamstring curl machine, hamstring exercises can be done on a bosu or balance ball - this helps to balance out the legs which is usefull when skiing podwer etc.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 30-12-10 8:52; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Interesting point re the balance side of things. Perhaps less weight and more balance-based stuff as you suggest. I did a lot of balance work during ACL replacement rehab a few years ago so could probably re-hash some of that.

We do ski a full day, but tends to be lots of short blasts followed by brief periods of rest - a bit like skiing intervals! Hard work, but I love it.

This year I want to get into some freestyle, so was thinking a bit more mass on the legs might help with control/landings?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thecrow wrote:
This year I want to get into some freestyle, so was thinking a bit more mass on the legs might help with control/landings?

Plyometrics.

http://www.goski.co.uk/fitness/specific/skiing/plyometrics.htm

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/skiing/a/aa122100a.htm
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lunges are a fantastic exercise but I would do them just with weights, not on a machine. All machines remove the balance element from the exercise. I find "walking" lunges are even better than stationary ones.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
top tip, ditch all the machine exercises & do them all with free weights (or bodyweight only, if appropriate).

Second tip, add more ski specific movement patterns.

I would lose the leg extensions, leg press, cable pulls and smith machine lunges. Calf raises OK, but do on 1 leg holding a dumbell not on a machine. Add bulgarian split squats with barbell or dumbells, lateral lunges, forward and rear lunges, and do the leg curls on a swiss ball 1 leg at a time. Do some classic full squats and deadlifts to complete the leg programme. Add some core stability work (planks, side planks, 1leg glute bridges).

Then as you work through this programme, add some more dynamic/plyometric work nearer your trip. EG, lateral jumps, squat jumps
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think you should define the objective of your training: you have plyometrics, hypertrophy and muscle endurance at the same time... basically, you are confusing your body and it will not adjust - key rule of exercising: overload to adjust.

You also have other big no nos in your program: and you are doing the most complex and compound exercise at the end, when you have been through already all the hypertrophy exercises...

You will definetely work your legs out but I wonder if you will fullfill your objective...

Depending how long you have, I could suggest you different programs - if you only have less than 6 weeks, I would probably concentrate my efforts on muscle endurance - and power (plyometrics) at the end...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers for all the replies, I thought I had the alert email on for replies but clearly not!

Points all taken, I can see where you're all coming from. I think I just got carried away with hitting as much of myself as I could without really thinking about the outcome!

First trip is 15th Shocked then will be off again in March, with maybe a weekend in Feb. I am generally fairly fit, just wanted to do some quick-shock treatment to the legs Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If this close, and the fact that you don't have months to periodize your training, I would suggest you do some muscle endurance training:
- Squats 3x15 1 min rest
- Dead lifts 3x15 1 min rest

Note: weight wise... you should be struggling to finish your final set... if you can handle it easily, increase your weight next time...

You should give one day rest between workout on same muscle

PS - I am a personal trainer... www.sofit.co if you need more info
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy