Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 2 Alpes spring/summer

Poster: A snowHead
Obviously I haven't been up the mountain (lifts are closed at the moment, with re-opening on 18th June), but on my return I can see that there is still a reasonable amount of snow at arount 2,800m on the top of the Super Diable. There's quite a lot of snow still showing on the North face of La Muzelle as well, and the night-time temperatures are down to almost freezing in the resort. All this bodes well for the start of the summer seasonl. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
easiski, glad to hear it!!!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Maybe we should start calling you Teasiski wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
easiski, I feel the snow calling. snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mark Hunter, Nothing to stop you coming out for a long weekend or even a week is there?

We had a good deal of rain/snow on tuesday, which should have topped it up nicely. today has been quite warm though, but it's been cloudy high up. The Dal (lift company won't tell me what it's like, so I'll go up on Saturday to see, and then I'll post again. Smile
snow conditions
 brian
brian
easiski, sounds good, see you in a fortnight snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well, the big day arrived and I staggered up the mountain (a bit late admittedly). Although there is clearly not much depth of snow the condition was very good. Roche Mantel and Signal (blue) were fine, a little soft, but not difficult. The top of Signal (red) from the arrival of Signal chairlift to the bottom of Roche Mantel chairlift was awful. Very soft and heavy and with rocks starting to peep through.

I then went up the Puy Salié and down the Dome (red) which was fantastic - some of the best snow I've skied for ages, back up the Roche Mantel chair and up Puy Salié again and down on the Puy Salié Sud (blue), which was also good. Considering it's very hot today (and was yesterday) the snow conditions were excellent. All the glacier lifts were running, including the Jandri IV chairlift with the exception of the beginners tow.

The snowpark looks good with both half pipes looking scary, and more big air than previously.

The lift company have made a huge effort this year, they've moved the Dome Sud T bar about 150m towards the snowpark, which allows the piste to be much wider than previously. They've also moved the top pylon of the beginners tow, which will make things much easier and will allow a much better progression for novices. A regular piste has also been roped off next to the T bar furthest left which allows ordinary skiers to ski that lift without getting in the way of the racing lanes.

All in all a truly magnificent hour's ski-ing and looking good as long as it stays reasonably cool.

snowHead Cool snowHead Cool Very Happy Cool
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Up again yesterday, snow still good but it's been very hot. Pam W and Mr Pam W arrived this evening for a couple of days - should be fun.
Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski, sorry we didn't make it over.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Helen Beaumont, yes - it was a shame, but I hope you got all your business sorted out OK. I've just said goodbye to Pam W and husband Tony, who are lovely people, and we've had a really good 2 days. the snow is holding up condition-wise, although I'm not sure how long it will last in the present heatwave. Fortunately it was a bit cooler today because of thin, high cloud. You can find some serious slush if you really look for it at about 13.00, but on the whole the snow is excellent and the glacier's not too busy. There was a very small dusting last night from about 3,200m up, but nothing significant - it rained a bit earlier with a truly spectacular thunderstorm at T time last night.

Anyway - STILL GOOD!!!!!! Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Latest news (today) is that with the heavy rain in the last couple of days we've lost a fair bit of snow. However all runs are still open and quite skiable. It didn't freeze last night (18deg on my balcony at 07.00 this morning). Hopefully this will be an oddity and we'll get back to a decent nightly re-freeze. Snow quality remains good, even today, and the resort is filling up.

The mountain bike bunch happily disappeared last night, so it's a bit more sensible in the street. Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We had some pretty wintry weather today, which is excellent and there was a little new snow on the glacier. Hopefully it'll snow tonight as well since we lost a lot between last Thursday and last Monday with the rain. they were beginning to close a couple of runs because of crevasses (Signal & Dome), but these runs are likely to be open again for a least a little while longer. It's been much colder during the last 36 hours, so hopefully it'll stay for a while. At 22.00 tonight it's not only 11deg, whereas until 2 days ago it would be around 25deg!!!

All-in-all, still skiable and pleasant. Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was up today with snowHead Brian and his family (2 small boys + wife). Windy chilly, hailstones at one point. Some rain as well and the mountain was evacuated due to an imminent thunderstorm. Evil or Very Mad The snow however, was OK for the time of day (12.30), and with a bit of luck the temperature is set to drop again tomorrow, and we might even get a bit of a covering later today. Fingers crossed
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski,
Sorry - we were going to drop in on our way through on the motos but time was against us, I'm afraid. We actually camped near Briancon on Weds, 22nd and enjoyed some thunder and lightening (got the tents up just in time Smile ) but missed your thunderstorm on the Thursday as we headed off to Beziers. Will have to drop in another time.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Caspar, Never mind - next time. I'm glad you got your tents up in time - our thunderstorms can be truly spectacular!

It was cold today and the snow remained pretty frozen until the lifts closed at 13.00. This is hopeful, and the forecast says it'll be fresher tomorrow as well. All we need now is another half meter of snow and .................. Cool
snow conditions
The night before last it snowed a little bit, which did help. The last 3 or 4 days have also been much cooler(0deg at 10.00 today), which is keeping the snow condition OK. There are icy patches (from the last rain on the glacier), but the lift company are doing tremendous work to keep everything in reasonable order. Very nice ski-ing today, pleasant weather (bit of mist rolling around and a good breeze, but otherwise sunny) so we're more hopeful for August than we were a week ago. Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
We've had a little bit of snow every evening/night for the last 3 or 4 and it's helped a lot. The whole glacier looks much whiter now, snow conditions were good today with about 5-10 cms of fresh over the base. I gather it's expected to continue like this for some time, but will keep you posted. snowHead
snow report
easiski, nice!!! snowHead
ski holidays
I was up on Sunday and the snow was nice and hard for most of the morning, certainly we've lost a little since the last snow, but then yesterday it precipitated violently all day and most of the night. I haven't been up today, but the webcam clearly shows a fresh fall. Roche Mantel has now closed, and it was quite tricky to ski on Sat, but I think it's more to allow them to harvest the snow left there rather than by necessity. Due to the general lack of snow in winter the "stashes" of snow that they harvest in summer aren't there this year. No cause for alarm, but I think they're dotting their i's and crossing their t's. snowHead
ski holidays
I went up today and it was fab! I skied from 12.00 - 13.00 and the snow was really good. Just starting to get slightly slushy at 13.00, but a long way from heavy. Clear blue skies, warm, and good snow ............ Anyone not happy with the snow today needs a head transplant!!! Shock
snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well, a week later and I'm afraid it's not too good. I was up on Friday and it was OK but not as good as Weds. Unfortunately we've had 3 nights in a row without re-freeze and very warm weather (lovely in town), and the beginner's area is all black and the little rope tow is just dreadful - still operating but even on skis it's impossible. I did about 4 runs on it with a beginner lad and then had to take him down the main run and teach him "on the run". I've brought my Fischers down and will take the old Volkls up next time.

It's really quite depressing, but we could still have more snow, and with a bit of luck it may get a bit cooler at night again. All is not lost yet - but it doesn't look attractive. Still skiable though and dodging crevasses is good fun - teaches you to look where you're going!!! Sad
snow report
easiski, how lucky are you snowHead
ski holidays
Chris Brookes, Not really - I've got a good few clients lined up for August, and it doesn't look as though I'll be able to teach them. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow report
I've been up today, and while it's still open and skiable (had a quick slide at about 12.15) it looks absolutely dreadful! Crying or Very sad You can hardly see any snow from the restaurant at 3,200, and while there is still some higher up, it's very heavy and slushy. I find it slightly annoying to see all the huge amount of snow in the snopark (big airs, 2 half pipes etc), and it's not being used to cover the glacier. OK the snopark is the most used part of the glacier in summer - but still ......

Rumours are flying that we'll be closing, but I asked a pisteur who said he didn't think so, and expected the weather to change around 15th August and get cold and snowy! I have no idea how much he knows about long range weather forecasts, but I would expect him to be right about staying open.
ski holidays
doesn't look very good at the Stubai either Sad

latest report
ise, I thought that Stubai was usually open now. You're not planning a visit anytime soon then Sad
snow report
not after I looked at the webcam I'm not Crying or Very sad
latest report
ise, Is the state of Stubai a general result of the warm/drought conditions, or are there particular problems with this glacier ski area? How about Hintertux for example, normally (my memory) open for teams to train anytime from now? Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, Is it normally this bad this time of year ??
snow conditions
Chris Brookes, No, but since 2003 we've never really got back to the situation we used to have. It was loads better last year.

snowbunny, I've never seen Stubai like that (but it looks a lot like here) - presumably it's the same as us. Not enough snow in winter to melt away this summer and still suffereing from 2003. I've skied the bit at the top right of ise, picture in early August one year. Also, once I skied knee deep fresh snow (won't say powder) on Stubaiergletscher on 12 August! Stubai is open according to what it says at the bottom of the picture.

The thing is that after the very hot summer in 2003, none of the alps have really recovered their "base" snow depths. We lost every flake of snow that summer and most of the snow bridges as well. OK 2003/4 winter was quite good for snow, but you can't make back decades worth in one winter. We normally have about 4m at 3,200 at the end of winter. This year we had about 1.75m - that's a huge difference. Also, here, they push all the snow not required for ski-ing into huge piles and use it for stock. Of course this year the stockpiles were nothing like as big as normal and so we've run out. They closed the Roche Mantel a few days before they really needed to in order to conserve what was left on it as stock, but that's run out now as well.

The message is not that summer ski-ing is dead, but that June and early-mid July are the times to come. August is likely to be pretty dodgy until we have 3 or 4 heavy snow winters in a row (unless it's very cool of course). If you look at Brian's pix from here you'll see a huge difference, and that was only 2 weeks ago.
ski holidays
To see our webcams go to: http://www.2alpes.com/summer/uk/site/infosstation/endirect/webcams.php
latest report
easiski, It looks just plain awful. I hope you have some dedicated rockhoppers that perform in what looks like sludge Sad
snow report
snowbunny, I couldn't disagree really, but the ice is preferable to the heavy snow. Of course if you go up at 07.15 you still get pretty hard snow first thing even if it hasn't re-frozen properly. However if you ski late as I did today it's not the best fun in the world, but very good training for variable and heavy off piste!! every cloud and all that! Very Happy
ski holidays
That's a nice set of webcams that L2A has on its website. A good service, even if the glacier doesn't look too appetising at the moment.
latest report
rob@rar.org.uk, Yes - they're good, but in interseason they tend only to use the one in the town, which means you can't see how the snowline's progressing!

Much better today. Good re-freeze last night - lovely fresh morning and blue skies. They'd worked hard yesterday afternoon, and even the beginners area was skiable. Got Paul McKinnell's brother-in-law down the Puy Salie on his second day on skis - didn't he do well?? Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
I thought so! Considering it was like you might imagine skiing off the Greenland ice sheet into the Arctic Ocean would be like.
ski holidays
It's been snowing today, and is still raining and cool in resort so things should be much better tomorrow. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
How much? Glad you can take your clients up though!
ski holidays
paulmck, Didn't go up today, miserable and wintery again, but trying for the kiddies tomorrow. Depends on the wind though. However if they can't go I may go anyway just to see what it's like. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Having read PG's report on Tignes I think we've had a bit (but not much) more luck. Tuesday was open but high winds, snowing and cold. Wednesday ditto but not snowing so much and today when I finally got up there.... well..... windy and chilly, but not terrible, but I was expecting nearly winter snow, and I got it - but it was ICE!!!!! Not the nice grainy summer ice, but real sheets of shiny winter ice. All good practice of course, and my small (just 6) pupil doing her first run down the glacier (holding onto my sticks) thought the slidy, shiny bits were brilliant fun!!! Is she a WC racer in the making? I was struggling to hold her!! Toofy Grin

Anyway, much whiter, obviously excellent in the long run, but a bit more snow please and some slightly warmer temps! rolling eyes
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy