Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Tracks - iPhone App

Poster: A snowHead
corecoders wrote:

Thank you for the kind words and support.

This is a known bug and we will be updating Ski Tracks soon to fix this problem.
This bug does not effect the actual recorded data - just the way it caches the ski runs and lifts.
If you have any specific tracks you want me to look at please email them to me at skitracks@corecoders.com in skiz format
Put Snowheads in the subject line and I'll fix the issue on our internal test software.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hi,

No its okay, its not a massive problem. If the next update fixes this bug then there's no rush, ill just wait for the update. I was just worried that I would have lost the ski lift data.

Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi, I have managed to download this in Itunes, but when I sync, it unticks it on the computer and doesnt go onto the phone - anyone know why? thanks
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi, I have managed to download this in Itunes, but when I sync, it unticks it on the computer and doesnt go onto the phone - anyone know why? thanks
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
corecoders,

Have you thought about tweeking this app for cyclists? I downloaded it last winter for snowboarding but have also found it better than anything (that I'm aware of) thats available for mountain biking. A slight tweek to the ski/ ascent/ total distance arrangement, change a few logos and picture and thats another few million potential customers!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
trevski wrote:
corecoders,

Have you thought about tweeking this app for cyclists? I downloaded it last winter for snowboarding but have also found it better than anything (that I'm aware of) thats available for mountain biking. A slight tweek to the ski/ ascent/ total distance arrangement, change a few logos and picture and thats another few million potential customers!

They have. iirc its called bike tracks. But I have to say I havent purchased it, I use map my ride plus.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I used ski tracks in France before Christmas a did my boyfriend and loved it. Massivley geeky but fun to get back and import the file into the google earth program on a map with your track in 3D over the mountains. Also used it in Scotland at the weekend.

The app spread while we were on holiday and a few others in the Chalet downloaded it too.

Noticed three issues
The app seems to get confused by really high lifts like the cable car up to the glacier, near the top the track goes all squiggly. Same thing happened with my boyfriends too so it wasn't an anolomly.
As others have noted the split between ski runs and lists isn't very accurate, flatish lifts and runs confuse it, as does any up and over or down and up chairs. I understand why, but it would be nice if there was a way of telling it which bits were lifts and runs at the end of the day.
Third issue is human error - I forgot to turn it on a few mornings. Function to have it send a reminder at a set time woudl be good.

Overall great app!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've got to say, the app is fantastic. Downloaded it after a few reviews on SH's and had great fun with it in AdH all week.

Managed a top speed of 46.3mph. Considering this was my first time skiing and the ski's were shaking beyond belief I was pretty impressed. Think I need some stiffer skis for my next trip though!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Totally forgot about this app. Can anyone remind me, i will have 3G, and data turned off, will this app still work? Will there be any charges for using this app in France?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
Totally forgot about this app. Can anyone remind me, i will have 3G, and data turned off, will this app still work? Will there be any charges for using this app in France?

I had data roaming and 3G turned off and it still worked.

Haven't had my bill through yet though!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes the GPS will still work, but you won't be able to see maps without any internet signal (just go somewhere with free wifi to see the maps at the end of the day).
Boosterfaceman, you shouldn't have been charged for anything.

Sadly for me Skitracks has been removed from my iPhone. I have a 3G, and a recent update and sync removed it quoting incompatibility, which is annoying. Need to put together a business case at work for get my phone upgraded (which will only happen if the actual phone function stops working!)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I downloaded this yesterday, got my fastest speed of 77kmh! That was on the bus, I forgot to pause it Laughing
Used it on the toboggan run too, it's a handy gadget!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
feefee wrote:
got my fastest speed of 77kmh! That was on the bus, I forgot to pause it Laughing

Laughing Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
http://www.maprika.com/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My group has had great fun with it today, just under 6000m vertical, 43k distance and a top speed that was truly terrifying but previous comments prevent me from saying. Next is to try to upload the tracks to google earth. The pitch function doesn't always give credible results, but its a great little app. Thanks Corecoders
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not sure if anyone is still following this thread. I downloaded Ski Traks and used it most days in Sestriere a few weeks back. Took me a day or so to get the hang of the basics but it seemed to work fine, battery lasted the whole day. It had clocked my max speed as 51mph which I was thinking must be wrong, but reading these posts that probably sounds about right.

I've looked at the altitude and speed graphs, and also the map where it shows you your day's route. I just wondered if there is any more functionality that I haven't found yet? Also, wondered if there is a way of getting it to show you the route you took on an actual piste map with names rather than just a standard or satellite map cos that would make more sense to me if I was reviewing my day's skiing and wanted to remember where I'd gone. Do you maybe need to somehow download piste maps from somewhere into your phone before hand?
latest report
Quote:

Also, wondered if there is a way of getting it to show you the route you took on an actual piste map with names rather than just a standard or satellite map

Not sure there is directly, but my boyfriend took his laptop out with him and downloaded our track onto that each night - and then you can put it into the computer version of google earth, and then in google earth overlay a downloaded piste map file too. So that way you can see where you went in 3D terrain and with a piste map too Very Happy That was by far the best way we looked at it.
snow report
Downloaded this yesterday for my forthcoming Italy trip. I knew the battery on my 3gs was crap, but not as crap as I thought. To test it my both me and my wife (who has a new iphone 4) charged phones to 100% and set off, 20 mins driving, 3 hours walking, 1 hour in pub, 20 mins driving. Her phone was on 80% and she also had a 10 min call, mine was on 32%, so it would never last a days skiing.

I am contracted for another 2 1/2 months before I am due an upgrade, but I didn't let that stop me. New Iphone 4s on it's way to me, bargain too 300min 500gig unltd txt. £31 a month no charge for phone.

Anyone want to buy a 3gs with crap battery life.
latest report
So....I know this has been done to death but the app requires "location services" to be on. I know with data roaming off this shouldn't charge me anything when I'm not in the UK but will that not shut off location services as well?

Having said that, this looks like a really nicely written app and I can't wait to use it in Chamonix.....in 32 days!!!
snow report
Kel wrote:

Great sales pitch
latest report
Quote:

So....I know this has been done to death but the app requires "location services" to be on. I know with data roaming off this shouldn't charge me anything when I'm not in the UK but will that not shut off location services as well?

Having said that, this looks like a really nicely written app and I can't wait to use it in Chamonix.....in 32 days!!!

GPS is nothing to do with roaming. Keep GPS on, turn off data roaming and jobs a good un!
snow report
kat.ryb wrote:
Quote:

GPS is nothing to do with roaming. Keep GPS on, turn off data roaming and jobs a good un!

Then when you have wifi you can download the google map and your GPS route is an overlay to that, at least I think that's how it works.

Just a thing about mobile data, it's not the shocker it once was, with Vodafone you get 25mb a day for £2 in Europe and they send you a text when you are approaching the 25mb, but you have to opt in.
snow report
kat.ryb wrote:
Quote:

Then when you have wifi you can download the google map and your GPS route is an overlay to that, at least I think that's how it works.

Just a thing about mobile data, it's not the shocker it once was, with Vodafone you get 25mb a day for £2 in Europe and they send you a text when you are approaching the 25mb, but you have to opt in.
snow conditions
jirac18 wrote:
Kel wrote:

Great sales pitch

Well its like this, if I came on here and said anyone want to buy a 3gs which has a fantastic battery, I'd be telling lies and some other snowHead might want to buy it from my description and that's not the done thing wink .
latest report
Rocked it with Ski Tracks on my trip to Les Gets last week... loved the features, especially sharing the stats, map and graphs on FB at the touch of a button when back at the chalet. Took much of it with a pinch of salt, but viewing the tracks on Google Earth when I got home was awesome especially the trip right over to Chatel... amazing to see how much ground was covered.

Great app, and tbh worth more than 69p of anyones money... I also like that it's not currently available on Android NehNeh

^ Note the line from the top of the super morzine bubble to Avoriaz, this was caused by accidentaly pausing the app.
ski holidays
Had this running today. Notched up 22,500ft vertical, 22 miles and a top speed of 51.6mph!!!
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder, fun isn't it Smile
snow conditions
I've got it as well. Noticed a big difference on iphone4 as it doesn't suffer from the flat battery after 1/2 day unlike my old 3GS. Good, fun app. Also tags the photos so you can work out which bit of white mountain was where.
ski holidays
Really good app, but definitely a little buggy.

I used to track a schlep across TVs and back - recorded speeds etc. really well but it was 20+ runs, and after the first few it started to get lifts and runs mixed up... loads of great options to view and analyze your data had me really interested, but I could use the altitude graphing bit to see that it clearly counted some of my runs as being a "lift" and vice-versa. In fact some of my "runs" had me making a vertical descent of 600m, and then making it back up again before the end of the run!

Other than this minor bug, really enjoyed the app. I'll give it another try sometime and hope it has its' head screwed on this time - bit of a shame as it's the only long track I've done and data is a bit too messed up to make sense of.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was skiing in val d'isere today and I know I was going fast but according to ski tracks I hit 112.2 km/h. I think the distance was accurate but speed ???
latest report
peter rogers, My guess is probably not, the accuracy of speed has been questioned a lot above... Good skills though cos I bet you were still flying!
snow report
How fast has your gps clocked you at...

How fast do you think you ski on piste?
ski holidays
Great app, used it last week in Ischgl and clocked up a top speed of 56 mph which sounds about right but indicated steepest slope of 50 degrees - if only.
ski holidays
Boosterfaceman wrote:
I've got to say, the app is fantastic. Downloaded it after a few reviews on SH's and had great fun with it in AdH all week.

Managed a top speed of 46.3mph. Considering this was my first time skiing and the ski's were shaking beyond belief I was pretty impressed. Think I need some stiffer skis for my next trip though!

Think you should have more lessons Before you try to hit 47moh rolling eyes Confused
ski holidays
absolutely love this app!

my best is 74mph skiing Dave Murray Downhill in Whistler... not sure if it was right, but I was flying!!! great app though, I love how you can title your days and highlight the conditions etc...

My buddies were skiing with me last week with poor Android versions... they were very jealous Wink
latest report
we compared this app with a garmin, and the app always showed much faster speeds upto 30kph for the same runs. It seems to vary even more if its an 'undualting ' piste, maybe something to do with acquiring the gps???? dont know but i wouldnt rely on their accuracy at all
ski holidays
iskar, not sure anyone should "rely on their accuracy"... I don't think it's intended for anything "accurate"
latest report
oh dear
ski holidays
I've been using it this week (until I had an accident yesterday and can sadly not ski anymore Sad ) and it's really great! I've also been using the Ski Tips instruction apps and they have also been really useful - great for refreshing stuff I learnt years ago, as well as learning new things - can't recommend both Ski Tracks and Ski Tips enough!
snow report
A question for the techie people, you know these smart watches that are out now ? Would you be able to view your ski tracks whilst on the move ?
latest report
gad,

Mmmm - staring at your watch while bombing down a crowded piste. What could possibly go wrong?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy