Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Tracks - iPhone App

Poster: A snowHead
I have GPS Logger installed on my BB but, after the forst couple of days, rarely use it. I wold use it more if it were more intelligent i.e. a pause option for when standing still (can be configurable), average speed of the downhill sections only (discounts lifts), and perhaps an exportable csv file of the individual runs and associated data (time, duration, speed etc). I'd like to start it in the morning and stop it in the afternoon when I stop. Having to fish it out and pause/restart etc is a major pain.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cresswell80 wrote:
Quote:

The splitting of the lifts and runs was also fun.

Anyone know what the criteria is for this? I assume it's something to do with altitude increasing rather than decreasing?

Will it therefore think that i'm on a lift if I'm say, skating up an incline?
From looking at my tracks it seems this is the case. For example the up and over lift in Val d'isere confused the app, also when skiing from the end of this lift back to Val the Lac chairlift doesn't seem to gain enough height to let the app trigger it as a lift so the trip is recorded as one long run rather than a piste followed by a drag lift, a chairlift and another long piste.

Looking at again now it seems you get a different split when viewing on the map vs the list view (stopwatch icon). My track of that morning shows 12 runs and 12 lifts in the list view with the Lac error described above, however in the map view its split into 14 runs and 13 lifts with the Lac lift correctly identified. The app must be doing some calculation on the fly from the GPS data and doing it differently depending on the view neither method gets is exactly correct. One for the programmer to look at.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I had a go in Saalbach last week, with just under 6 hours recorded on Sunday before the battery died, but as the temperature was -20 on the Monday, my battery life was 2 hours before it packed up. The same happened again on Tuesday, so I gave up.

My iPhone is a 3GS, with normal battery life of 16-20 hours due to it being used to get e-mail from two different accounts using 3G and WiFi in areas with poor coverage, but when new it managed to same for 2-3 days, so I guess this is telling me that the dreaded open phone surgery is due sometime soon.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I love this app - just got it this season and have used it in Utah and here in the east at Stratton, Okemo and Sunapee. I do have a question if anyone can help me out.

When I export my tracks to my computer, Google maps reads them right away - and attaches the pictures that I took. However, once I save and close and re-open, I seem to have lost the pictures... the tracks are still there and still run, but the pictures only show up as reference files. Any idea what I can do to fix that?

Thanks.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have this installed on my 3GS and plan to use it in a couple of weeks - given that this would be the first time I'll be having a go at it what are the key basic steps that I need to be following? Do I just press start and let it do the rest? Thanks
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
just got back from a trip to pila and we used skitracks alot, it was great!! kinda makes you wanna go faster though!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
franga wrote:
I have this installed on my 3GS and plan to use it in a couple of weeks - given that this would be the first time I'll be having a go at it what are the key basic steps that I need to be following? Do I just press start and let it do the rest? Thanks

Yes Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I loved it - did make me go a bit competitive each day to beat my fastest speed or to go further wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cbowls30, know what you mean, first day Oh look 32mph Little Angel last day, gotta beat 48mph Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
don`t know if i`m a bit thick (i am fat does that qualify!), tried it a few times in italy last month worked once but not on other two occasions ?? my jacket is well padded (not by me! although!) ?? does it make a difference!!? my phone is the 3g ?? will be going to aviemore at the end of this month so any tips will try it out again.
ta snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bfg, Might actually be the phone, my old 3G would be very intermittent on gps reception. The 4 on the other hand is much more advanced, i think it's probably, mainly due to the external antenna rather than internal. Try it in an external pocket or packed at the top in a back pack, make sure you have a good signal before you pocket it, should work.
Let me know what the snow is like on cairngorm, we are up there for 3 days from the 12/04.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ricfrench, cheers , no worries .the word is for a late season,gritter drivers have had their contracts extended by a month until the end of april Shock might just be playing it safe but my cup is always half full Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Had great fun with this app in Austria last week, one of our party was using a 3G whereas I'm using a 4 and it was interesting to compare - certainly think the 4 is more accurate though still got the odd speed spike: It clocked me at 64mph on the Hahnenkamm and although I'd love to claim it as true the reality was probably at least 20mph less!

Looking forward to exporting to a computer for a proper look. .
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mr HL used it in panorama all last week and loved it. this on a 3g phone with 4g software (does that sound right?). sucked the power out of the phone though.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
holidayloverxx, maybe you can give me a few tips in a fortnight then ! ?? Don't know why but mine didn't kick in only the timer ? And no I wasn't stood at the bar !!!!
ski holidays
bfg, I'll ask him to show me how it works - he wouldn't let me carry it Evil or Very Mad
snow report
bfg, Check whether Location Services is set on for the Ski Tracks App.

Go into settings (iphone setting, not Ski Tracks settings), select General, then Location Services. As well as Location Services being set on, there will be an entry for each App that use Location Services, so make sure that Ski Tracks has it set on.

If that is all ok, then maybe a problem with gps reception, although I have a 3G iphone and it works ok on mine.
snow conditions
Cheers geepee, tried that but was already on! Trying it on bus but still nothing ,giving me alttitude ( 58m!!) but nothing else ??? !

Will try again on the white stuff in a fortnight !!!! snowHead
ski holidays
bfg, MrHL suggested the same thing. You could PM the lead developer who has posted earlier in the thread
snow report
 powderslut1
powderslut1
Steve, we just used Ski Tracks for the first time on iphone.

Can you tell us how to forward the report to a friend?

powderslut1@yahoo.com
ski holidays
If you just want to send your track to a friends PC/Mac the best solution is to export your track as a KMZ file this can be viewed in Google Earth.

If your friend has Ski Tracks then you could email them your skiz file and they can see your track by opening the Attachment on their phone.

Hopefully this answers the question but if you need more help there is a user guide that can be downloaded from the following link:

http://www.corecoders.com/Docs/SkiTracks_UserGuide_V1_2_4.pdf
ski holidays
motionX GPS has the ability to plot tracks on topo maps which i couldnt get to work with Ski Tracks , if you want to log a track and then transpose to a proper map that is an essential feature..
ski holidays
A few people had this in Tignes last week.. one guy managed about 70mph straightlining it down Trolles! (Only cos I'd told him my brother managed 89mph and got to the Palafour chair without poling Laughing)

Can't wait for the Android version for next season, I was jealous...
ski holidays
why does everyone focus on the top speed function , very lame ... and has anyone who claims to have hit 70 or 80 mph ever watched a world cup race on telly the best athletes in the world in cat suits on 2 metere plus skis hardly hit those speeds rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow conditions
I don't know, I don't even have it, was just reporting on the willy-waving!

Men are lame....
snow report
being a map geek I like to look at all my wiggly lines on a map to see where I've been. The top speed bit just scares me a little.
snow report
popetristn wrote:
I love this app - just got it this season and have used it in Utah and here in the east at Stratton, Okemo and Sunapee. I do have a question if anyone can help me out.

When I export my tracks to my computer, Google maps reads them right away - and attaches the pictures that I took. However, once I save and close and re-open, I seem to have lost the pictures... the tracks are still there and still run, but the pictures only show up as reference files. Any idea what I can do to fix that?

Thanks.

There is an bug in Ski Tracks regarding the KMZ and photographs that has been fixed in the version 1.3 (available shortly), although technically our KMZ files are correct - the new version Google Earth strips the pictures when you reload the file.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
ski holidays
corecoders, i was at Cairngorm in Feb and met another snowhead and i had this app running on my iphone. He liked it and downloaded it so we where both running it and were stood next to each other going up in the train, but our readings were totally different, out by about 3-400metres at one point. Also at the top, we had different readings. What would cause this, we were both on orange and had the same signal etc??? Did find it usefull though, accidently kept it running whilst i was driving home as well!!! Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
corecoders, i was at Cairngorm in Feb and met another snowhead and i had this app running on my iphone. He liked it and downloaded it so we where both running it and were stood next to each other going up in the train, but our readings were totally different, out by about 3-400metres at one point. Also at the top, we had different readings. What would cause this, we were both on orange and had the same signal etc??? Did find it usefull though, accidently kept it running whilst i was driving home as well!!! Very Happy

First of all the phone signal and operator will not make any real difference - Ski Tracks does not need to use the assisted part of the GPS. However you did not say whether you both had the same phone model - if they were different then this would explain some of the differences. The most likely reason for the error is the train causing the reduction is visible sky and reflections with the GPS signal, all of which can cause large differences in the reading.

I would like to see your track - could you email the skiz file to skitracks@corecoders.com and I'll look at the GPS data and get back to you.

Glad that you enjoyed the app - we are committed to make Ski Tracks the best mountain app so thank you for your support.

Regards

Steve
latest report
corecoders, just to say that it wasnt a massive problem but for those who like things "exact" then they would probably be a little dissapointed. We were both using the Iphone 4 at the time. I will see if i still have the data somewhere and send it to you, but im not sure that i have. This is a great app by the way, dont think i am mocking it, because i am not, just a difference in the readouts on 2 devices.

Cheers, rick.
snow conditions
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
corecoders, just to say that it wasnt a massive problem but for those who like things "exact" then they would probably be a little dissapointed. We were both using the Iphone 4 at the time. I will see if i still have the data somewhere and send it to you, but im not sure that i have. This is a great app by the way, dont think i am mocking it, because i am not, just a difference in the readouts on 2 devices.

Cheers, rick.

Hi Rick,

Glad that you enjoy using Ski Tracks. I was just trying to answer the question in my usual techie way Happy If you do find the data just send it to me and I'll look through the GPS raw data.

Regards

Steve
snow conditions
I've had a lot of trouble with Ski Tracks, but I'm not sure that the app is at fault. Basically, I can track data for a couple of hours and then the app will go silent (no altitude or other data given). Sometimes I get data for the entire day, whereas other times the app just stops tracking. I've tried resetting the app and rebooting the iPhone as well, but that doesn't help. If I ski at the same place for two days in a row, one day it might work perfectly and the next it will go besurk. What's odd is that the GPS data in Maps (geolocation) works fine during these outages. Great app, but it's a pity I can't get it to work more consistently. I'm using v. 1.3.1.
snow report
Downloaded the 69p version. I'm more than happy to pay if it means the development work carries on.
latest report
JayAre, Sounds like a phone fault rather than skitracks which we have on 5 phones and works faultlessley on them all.
snow report
Ischgl in March... I was terrified: http://i.imgur.com/JQWtf.png
snow report
Thanks for the feedback, Boredsurfing. Yes, I think that it's either a phone fault or some odd manipulation that I'm doing. Each time the outages have either come after a pause for lunch or when GPS data was absent for a while. At first I thought the app was just "auto-pausing", but it seems that's not the case. I'll play with it a bit more to see if I can find a trend.
snow conditions
corecoders,

Any chance that you might be bringing out an Android version ? Embarassed
latest report
Corecoders,

Love the App, i have used it now for 3 weeks of skiing pleasure, Italy and France twice. The results seem great, accuracy seems okay. I mean when placed onto google earth the tracks line up pretty nicely with the tracks and roads etc. Altitude seems okay too, give or take. I have noticed a few spikes (both gps position and altitude) in and around the trees but not really a problem. my problem is that one of the updates corrupted the data of my runs, so instead of multiple lifts, only one run is indicated. i did send an email but i was told to play around with the activity settings but i'm still struggling.

I was wondering if any of you snowHead 's have had this issue??
snow report
andyfella wrote:
Corecoders,

Love the App, i have used it now for 3 weeks of skiing pleasure, Italy and France twice. The results seem great, accuracy seems okay. I mean when placed onto google earth the tracks line up pretty nicely with the tracks and roads etc. Altitude seems okay too, give or take. I have noticed a few spikes (both gps position and altitude) in and around the trees but not really a problem. my problem is that one of the updates corrupted the data of my runs, so instead of multiple lifts, only one run is indicated. i did send an email but i was told to play around with the activity settings but i'm still struggling.

I was wondering if any of you snowHead 's have had this issue??

Thank you for the kind words and support.

This is a known bug and we will be updating Ski Tracks soon to fix this problem.
This bug does not effect the actual recorded data - just the way it caches the ski runs and lifts.
If you have any specific tracks you want me to look at please email them to me at skitracks@corecoders.com in skiz format
Put Snowheads in the subject line and I'll fix the issue on our internal test software.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
snow conditions
Haven't tried Ski Tracks (yet), but used phresheez last season.
Looks like a similar app - doesn't require any cellular connectivity to store the data.
It even allows you to see where your friends are on the map (if you have 3G on).
It's available for both iPhone and Android.
http://phresheez.com/site/index.php
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy