Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which forms of skiing are expendable, if we're to reduce CO2 emissions?

Poster: A snowHead
PG, jeepers - as you say, let's hope there's no casualties.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
eEvans,
Quote:

So on resort mangement we're back to reducing demand or ability to travel

I'm not so sure, perhaps we just need to give people a better way to travel, city night line looks like a really great way to travel, much better than the old fashioned couchettes, if they could run a service like this from London or even Paris/Brussels to the alps for a reasonable price I think a lot more people would use it.

Imagine arriving in London at say 7pm and boarding the train, you put your skis and large luggage in check in and the next time you see it is at your destination, maybe even at your hotel, next you board the train and sit down for a nice dinner (included in first class paid for in second) by the time your through the tunnel you're probably on the main course, after dinner you will be able to go the bar or to your berth by the next morning you will already be approaching the alps, for first class passengers an ensuite shower will help you freshen up, for second it may be a bit of a crush so you will have to wait till you arrive at your destination, breakfast will be served to the first class berths whilst those in second can get theirs from the dinning car. Typically you will arrive at your resort between 8am and 12pm in time for either a full or a half days skiing, similarly most people would not need to leave their resorts till after 4pm on their final day meaning you get a full day of extra skiing at the end of the holiday, effectively this means that you still pay for 7 nights at the hotel but get either 7 or even 8 days skiing instead of the more typical 6. No 3 hour checkins, no great long lines waiting for the luggage to come off the plane, quite possibly no great transfer journey from the airport.

Now I grant you that this would not serve all destinations or suit all people but what a way to travel
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PG hope no one was hurt, the usual cause of big bangs in industrial premises in the UK is an Oxy Acetylene set exploding, very big bang followed by big fireball and big chunks of steel dropping out of the sky
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mrs PG was parked in a car just down the road when it started - said the first explosion felt like an earthquake. Took this a bit later when we could get nearer... the sawmills are about 30 metres t'other side of the house, the roof of the house spontaneously burst into flames from the sheer heat.

http://www.frostybear.net/photopost/data/500/feu140605_001.jpg
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PG, I hope noone gets injured either in the fire or fighting it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Other possible cause of the explosion is sawdust forming an explosive suspension of particles in the air.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PG,

If you get time can you take another in daylight!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Am going over shortly, it'll be a right mess no doubt...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chris Reed wrote:
CANV CANVINGTON, I think that's just selfish and short-sighted.

.. you get your energy saving light bulb and dont use the air con in your car, fiddle around at the edges for a miniscule difference and kid yourself your some kind of keyboard eco warrior..
i put my solution up there mate, nuclear power.. you want everyone to cram onto a diesel bus to get to the alps then good luck , but it will never happen.. as asia tools up to become a bigger consumer of power than the u.s. of a. you tell yourself that your great grandchildren will be ok because you only had luke warm showers in the morning..
technology will provide the solution, as cars become cleaner and greener, hydrogen fuel cells and nuclear power.. you on the other hand can sit indoors next to your candle powerd heating system this winter..
enjoy your walk to the alps
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have to say that I agree with CANV CANVINGTON although not necessarily in the way that he says it. It seems to me that a part of our psyche as humans is to have something to worry about, the cold war, the millenium bug, and now global warming. I suspect that there will be climate change, but that it will be gradual, and that it won't be a cataclysmic event (although there may well be less skiing). As for running out of fossil fuels, I'm sure that when it happens, some substitute will be found. Humanity will find a way, it usually does. Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kramer, Not only do I agree with CANV, but I actually like the way he puts his argument across. It's good to see an honest, punchy approach in here, rather than the normal, wishy-washy, "oh, I don't was to upset any cry babies" dross that usually gets passed off for debate!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Must admit I thought I'd get nailed for my post on page 1 but poor old CANV CANVINGTON, got slagged off for basically saying the same thing - that domestic power consumption is overwhelmingly more important than holiday power consumption, and that the solutions are obvious and already available in some cases, I suggested biodiesel, he said nuclear. Seems like because he's only made a few posts here and his text formatting is a bit haphazard some more regular posters thought his message was flawed.

It's not.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tim Brown, as mentioned elsewhere this is a friendly forum, or at least it tries to be. If you don't like the -

Tim Brown wrote:
wishy-washy, "oh, I don't was to upset any cry babies" dross

that people write here, then you're free to go somewhere else, may I suggest here as being suitable.

Or on the other hand, you could learn some social skills.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kramer, i can't log-on to there for some reason. as far as i'm concerned, there is nothing wrong with CANV's tone. It reminds me of hard hitting argument, the kind of thing that ruffles feathers but wins arguments. Certainly better than regulars just agreeing with each other!

Plake, get 3k posts under your belt and you can say what you like and bully anyone with less than 500.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 15-06-05 17:30; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tim Brown wrote:
Plake, get 3k posts under your belt and you can say what you like and bully anyone with less than 500.

Tim, that is NOT true.
snow report
Elizabeth B, 5k then
snow conditions
Tim Brown, if you don't like it here, then why do you keep on coming back?
latest report
Tim Brown, are you sore about something? let mama rub it for you.
Elizabeth B is right you know. not all the bullies have posted over 5000
snow report
I think all new buildings should be built with solar roofs. If so the price of solar panels would come down, and our consumption of fossil fuels would be drastically reduced. My parents had solar panels (not the whole roof) and it paid for 10% electricity in winter and 25% in summer - and that's in the UK! The people who bought the house threw them out - that should be a crime!

Can anyone tell me why all the ecologists start bleating about their views when anyone proposes a wind farm? Denmark uses lots of wind power to great effect. I know they're not all that pretty, but aren't they just like large white trees???????

Here's a bit of a stir: why are we all so worried? What are we saving? It's not the planet - that will survive anyway - we're worried about humans aren't we? Why do so many people call it saving the planet?????? wink wink wink wink wink wink wink
snow report
Mums Off Piste at Iceland, go on then. Best offer I've had all day.
snow report
[quote="easiski"Here's a bit of a stir: why are we all so worried? What are we saving? It's not the planet - that will survive anyway - we're worried about humans aren't we? Why do so many people call it saving the planet?????? wink wink wink wink wink wink wink[/quote]

VERY good point!
snow conditions
Kramer, I do like it here. It's just the wishy-washy way contentious issues are dealt with. And as soon as anyone with something to the point and hard hitting with it comes along, it's 'tut, tut!' time.

CANv's post, along with some other peoples, shines like a beacon in this sea of banality.
latest report
Tim Brown, you like it, and yet it's banal? I don't understand.
snow report
Kramer,' the 'it' I don't like being this thread and other contentious issues. The 'it' I do like bing the site in general, which is very good, if a little defensive. Lots of good info, though.
snow report
Ok. You may have a point. There are two things to bear in mind though, firstly that site owners and moderators may be jointly liable legally for any libel on this site, which tends to make us err towards caution, secondly that many sites have self destructed due to flame wars, which seems to be happening to the SCGB site at the moment.
latest report
Tim Brown, I'm pretty new here. I have had the feeling that disagreeing with some of the more established posters is not very well received by them or their peers, and that expressing an opinion that is not in keeping with the trend of a thread in which they are involved is equally not well received. However, they are not entirely resistant to persistent reasoning and you can get away with it if you are civil and articulate. I am sorry to have found, however, that less prominent posters are put off supporting arguments against some of the more established posters.
snow report
slikedges, going by those criteria, clearly you have the makings of an established poster wink
Quote:
that less prominent posters are put off supporting arguments against some of the more established posters.
You never know - strange as it may seem, perhaps they just don't agree with you!
snow report
PG, you didn't think I meant you did you? Little Angel
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
slikedges, never crossed my mind! As like you I'm always right, we couldn't possibly have anything to disagree about, could we?! wink
latest report
slikedges, there's been plenty of disagreements among top posters. The top two haven't always seen eye-to-eye, by any means. Of course, personally, I fight shy of expressing contentious opinions. wink
latest report
laundryman, i wonder why. wink
snow report
Tim Brown, laundryman's words really read
Quote:
[irony]Of course, personally, I fight shy of expressing contentious opinions. wink [/irony]
Or then again, if you meant the first part, DG and I get on like a house on fire.... Little Angel
snow conditions
PG, Perish the thought! wink

laundryman, I would never single (or double) out anyone. Some of our top posters are also our most helpful, knowledgeable, honest and objective (though not necessarily all of those at once!). My opinion, like yours, 'tis but a shy, non-contentious expression. snowHead
ski holidays
I cant disagree with CANV CANVINGTON. I would put the figure at 95% for the population of this country who do not give a toss about the environmental damgage thhat their holiday causes. Obviously I am ruling out forest burning trips to the Amazon, and fridge dismantling in Florida, but the vast percentage of our population want the quickest and cheapest method of travel to e.g, their ski holiday.
latest report
easiski, I absolutely agree with the solar roof idea and I also think that wind farms are a good idea (I actually think that they are rather beautiful and elegant and certainly not as bad as a coal/gas/nuclear power station). I also do agree with CANV's comment that technology will be the key. However I believe that the long term future of energy supply will be with people having houses with solar roofs, mini wind-turbines and combined heat and power (you use the wasted heat from central heating to produce electricity) producing the majority of their energy requirements locally, exporting what they don't use and only requiring big power stations for the peaks. Also water heating will be by solar panels. This might sound daft but if it was a requirement to make all new houses energy efficient with solar panels on the roofs this could catch on, the costs of the technology could come down. This technology already exists and in Spain it is now mandatory when a new house is being built it must have solar water heating fitted. I've read that if you've got to re-roof a house it is cost neutral to get a roof of solar panels given that grants are given for people to do it. And if you are lucky the electrcity company pay you at the end of the year (imagine that!). If I get some pennies together I might start putting this on my house.....

I'm sure that I will go skiing (but I might try using the train) and until I change jobs I will drive to work (no choice really) but I want to try to change what I can change, i.e. my impact. I do hope that we as a country don't go down the Nuclear route as we still haven't solved the waste issue and this is just substituting one long term issue for another.

Frosty the Snowman, Is so right that 95% don't give a toss about the environmental damage that their holday causes but I'd extend this further to say that the 95% don't give a toss about environmental damage they do period. It's just a shame because if everyone cared just a little bit and stopped being so defeatist a lot could be acheived. I don't think that just because Asia and America aren't doing anything isn't a good enough excuse. There is so much that people can do without negatively impacting their lives. I've recently got a bike so I can cycle the 1-2 miles into town. It doesn't cost me anything to park, it's quicker, more convenient, doesn't pollute, keeps me fit and it's great. Just because something is environmentally friendly doesn't make it boring!

I think after that long sermon (sorry) I'll need a long lie down followed by a fast drive in the country . wink
snow report
Quote:
and in Spain it is now mandatory when a new house is being built it must have solar water heating fitted.
At the rate they're indiscriminately developing the future Spanish deserts they won't have enough water to go around to fill the water heaters in the first place. Anyone thinking of buying in Spain should consider this and other inevitable problems in the not-so-distant medium term, very seriously.

Chris Reed, I agree we should all play a part in living 'environmentally friendly' lives, but the campaigns - through which people feel they are doing something useful - are mainly a sop, a diversion, supported by big business and government, to enable consciences to be appeased, to divert attention from the fact that the real problems are simply not being effectively addressed, and never will be. Not until it's too late, anyway. We are tied into the system of greed/growth/alleged 'embetterment' (Bushism, I believe), and no one dare stand in front of the rapidly growing and accelerating snowball now.
ski holidays
Chris Reed wrote:
... I do hope that we as a country don't go down the Nuclear route as we still haven't solved the waste issue and this is just substituting one long term issue for another....
I think you may be wrong (though nuclear waste disposal will remian a poliical issue). This presents a reasonable picture, I think.

BTW, there is over 500 tons of a particularly worrying "nuclear waste" sculling around the world, in the form of plutonium. Fast - neutron reactors provide a potential method of getting rid it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy