Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Blood donation before skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm due to donate blood the day before I go skiing. I'm likely to be doing a fair bit of hiking & skinning, and wanted to know if I'm likely to get a lot more knackered/out of breath/affected by the altitude if I'm short a bag full of red blood cells!

Anybody have any experience of this?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Never skied after blood doning, but it certainly affected me if I played football within 48 hours of doning and I am sure the high altiude would make it worse.
I wouldn't risk possibly spoiling the first couple of days holiday for the sake of postponing the doning until you return.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nick99, from memory I think you might be able to donate after 12 weeks once in a while, rather than 16?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
you will be safe to undertake strenuous physical activities after 12 hours
make sure you keep your fluid intake up, before and after donation though
it will take upto 48 hours to replace the plasma in the blood

however, you will not be at 100%, not that most of us are on day 1 anyway

I'd it were me, I'd find another donation centre nearby when I came home
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I gave blood for the first time 3 weeks ago. I am a regular runner/gym goer and had two days off excersise after donating. When I got back on it it took a good couple of runs to feel 'back to normal'.

Good advice about drinking lots but also eat lots too. I did hear that donating blood uses 650 calories extra that day just replacing some of what is lost.

I'd probably say to re-book for when you are home as even fit people with a full quota of blood can feel the effects of altitude.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hmmm I'd leave it until you got back home if I was you to avoid the possibility of feeling a bit out of sorts on your first day or two. If it doesn't make any difference when you do it you may as well do it when you return.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy