Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cervinia - long weekend

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm planning an early season long weekend in mid December. I'll book flights to Geneva. I know snow conditions can be variable at that time of year. If they're good I'll go to Verbier. If not I reckon Cervinia will be as snow sure as anywhere. Does anyone have any experience of renting apartments in Cervinia? As it's early season I reckon I might be able to swing a weekend rental deal.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's a long time since I was in Cervinia, but isn't it a long drive from Geneva? Would you be better going to somewhere a bot closer if you're only out for the weekend?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar.org.uk, It's only 125 miles. If Verbier doesn't have much open my thinking is most other places in the western alps will be in a similar situation. Also as it is just a w/e there is something to be said for going somewhere I know.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Steve Sparks, you would probably have a better chance of getting an early deal at a hotel, appartments only usually like to be rented by the week because they still have to be cleaned and checked after each rental so prices tend to be high for short lets, hotels have a bit more flexibility
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Steve Sparks wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, It's only 125 miles. If Verbier doesn't have much open my thinking is most other places in the western alps will be in a similar situation. Also as it is just a w/e there is something to be said for going somewhere I know.

Verbier and Cervinia are only 30km or so apart of course so the weather won't be much different. Obviously Cervinia has a glacier though.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Obviously Cervinia has a glacier though.

So does Verbier doesn't it?? Mont Fort is it?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
the ice perv wrote:
Quote:

Obviously Cervinia has a glacier though.

So does Verbier doesn't it?? Mont Fort is it?

Often not open early season though, it takes a certain amount of snow to make glaciers safe to ski. Summer ski areas on glaciers like Cervinia or Tignes are the exception not the rule.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ise, I think the micro climates are quite different. For example last December I bailed out of Verbier at the last minute as there were only two runs open and had a great week based in Zermatt, but skiing a lot in Cervinia where the snow was fantastic.

I think it's got a lot to do with the direction that the snow bearing clouds come from, but I'm sure someone will have more definitive knowledge.

the ice perv, you are of course right. One of the real manifestations of global warming is the way the crevasses have opened up on some glaciers. For the last two winters the Mont Fort glacier has had to be dynamited to close up the crevasses. Last January they spent a day flying snow up there in a helicoptor to make it safe. Of course that night it started snowing and Switzerland experienced it's heaviest snowfall in 15 years!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Steve Sparks, "micro climates" is punter nonsense for the weather being different on the different package tour they took the previous year to a different resort Very Happy

Verbier was pretty crap in December.The problem at Verbier was it hadn't snowed very much but it hadn't at Zermatt either, or anywhere else much, the climate's the same. It just takes a bit more snow at Verbier to make it skiable, nothing to do with imaginary micro climates I'm afraid. In general terms it wasn't much related to crevasses opening up on the glacier either, an effect which was more pronounced in the previous year anyway, but simply lack of snow accumulation. The Gd Massif gave a good example, it's not glaciated but for much of the season the highest terrain was unskiable as there wasn't enough snow to make it safe but some of the lower terrain was excellent anyway.

If you spend time in ski stations in the summer you can see clearly the differences in terrain and the varying amounts of cover required which makes rather more sense than some voodoo about the weather being different Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Puzzled Not sure about micro-climates but "where the weather is coming from" can make a big difference. For example, last winter a lot of Swiss resorts were pounded by storms coming from the north while northern Italian resorts (like Gressoney where I spent a weekend) were very dry. These places are not very far apart as the crow flies, but there are some dirty great mountains in between. The air rising over them causes the precipitation to start, and often there isn't much moisture left by the time the air gets over the mountain. Plus the sinking air warms up and is less liable to cause rain. If memory of my A-level geography serves, it's called the rain shadow effect.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arno, rain shadow, differences in height or aspect all most certainly exist, I just think "micro climate" by and large is just part of a stream of nonsense off the Crystal transfer coach. Conditions are more affected by mundane factors like height, aspect in terms of sun and wind and the simple factor of the shape of the hill and surface.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Agreed - both on rain shadow and nonsense talked by reps Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've been to Cervinia twice first w/e in Dec. Once you could ski down to village (2050m) and once you had to get the cable car up to 2500 before there was a thin sliver of farmed snow. On both occassions there was reasonable snow further up but the main glacier is on the Zermatt side, which means you have to buy a ticket for both sides (Italian and Swiss) if you want to use that.

The village was very quiet so sure you could get a reasonable deal in one of the hotels (not all open that early).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy