Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Lessons

Poster: A snowHead
Was in Les Deux Alpes earlier this year (which, contrary to all the negative reports on various internet sites, was very very good). Had lessons with Easiski and with ESF (ESF was booked through my tour operator Airtours). At the end of the week, I was given a card from ESF regarding my ability, etc.

I would like to go back to France for next year as I feel it would be better to stay with ESF as they are aware of my ability (card, etc). I hope all this is making sense!!!

However, my partner would like to try somewhere else - Italy, Switzerland and is not keen on going back to France. I think going back to France and ESF would be beneficial for me to progress further.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jb1970,2 ski holidays is surely the correct answer Very Happy snowHead . I dont think you need stick with 1 particular school or country. Ski Schools are usually fairly good at assessing the merits and skills of pupils. It is more about the abilities of the instructor you get on the day. there is a brief rolling eyes and argumentative thread on grading of ski abilities elsewhere on snowheads , but I refuse to give a link, less it rears its ugly and dull head again.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jb1970, if 2 ski holidays a year is not acceptable try a compromise and suggest that you return to LDA next season but that your partner pics a resort for the following season, however realistically any decent ski school will be able to progress your skiing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jb1970,
Makes a refreshing change from the ESF good or bad threads that have sometimes dominated talk on French ski schools. But I am with the others, a decent ski instructor in any country should be able to help your progress and I wouldn't let the choice of ski school dominate where you want to ski unless you found a particular instructor outstanding and want to go back for lessons with that instructor.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jb1970, I'm with the others here...pick a resort based on your ability and what you want out of the holiday. Then post up here for a recommendation for Ski School/Instructor...you're bound to find someone who knows someone! It's worked for me before now...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jb1970, That card won't mean very much in any other resort. the ESF are like MacDonalds - a franchise, and so are different in every resort. You were lucky with your instructor here, but might not be next time. Don't make this a factor in your decision. However I also don't think you should go for group lessons every day any more - you're past that stage. Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think you are all a little unfair on the ESF. In Courchevel this year I heard a lot of praise for them. I would certainly give them a go next time. And they are a lot, lot cheaper than New Gen. We had some lessons with New Gen. - the guy was OK but really no better than any other ski instructor I've had. The best ski instructors I've had have always been in Lech. It may not suit everyone, but the guys there really push you. This Feb. my friend and I had 4 days private tuition with an instructor called Gerhard Sauter. He gets you off piste. His favourite phrase being 'But I think it is necessary for you to do theese..' For anyone who knows the Lech/Zurs circuit - it is possible to do the whole route without being on the piste. I'm not saying we jumped off a mountain, but we were rarely on the piste. Even on the Madloch, we went 'off' the ski route. Gerhard does a lot of off piste with advanced skiers, so I could well recommend him for all you experts out there. But be warned, a lot of his clients start flagging by lunchtime!
Surprisingly, in Courchevel this year we joined a New Gen. clinic. I had my misgivings whether we were in the right group or not. One guy in the class told us he was a 'seasonnaire' Puzzled , another was learning to be a dry slope instructor, 2 others said they wanted to learn moguls etc. Anyway, none of them had had many lessons before. Whilst they were fairly brave, they were fairly crap skiers. Without blowing my own trumpet too much, I could ski better than them. If you can't ski correctly, you will not ski the hard stuff. My point is, is that if I can learn to ski (that's 7weeks of lessons - ski school and private) then anyone can - BUT - you need to take lessons. You will also learn how to 'read' the mountain, personal safety, skiing safely - without endangering those around you.
Off my soapbox Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
erica2004, I don't think we've been hard on the ESF in this thread at all! Have you missed some of the other ESF threads?? The point is that every ESF in every resort is different. In some resorts they may be the best in town, and in others the worst. In all ESFs there are bound to be good teachers, but how do you know who they are? jb1970, was lucky and got a good one, who taught modern technique. However, among the 160 "permanents" here there are a fair number who still teach "old school" and regret the passing of the straight ski! Luckily he didn't get one of them, or I'd have spent all my time trying to undo what he'd learnt in the morning!! Shocked

BTW many people use the various British ski schools, because they perceive that British instructors are better - it's not necessarily true! Personally I think most of them are way too expensive, and this isn't the first time someone's posted that they were in a group of disparate ability on one of these "clinics".
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jb1970, Looking back at the start of this thread - it's good that the ESF have given you a card. You should find that a good instructor will watch you ski, and then make up his/her mind about what to teach..so don't worry about tha card. Have lessons witheasiski, instead !
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski - I have already had lessons with Easiski, and would like some more, hence trying to persuade my other half to go back to Les Deux Alpes next year, although he is having none of it!! - he wants to try somewhere different.

I take your point that a good ski instructor will make up their own mind after assessment.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ski, Spot on, however the cards do give a rough idea, but no more than that. Actually I think jb1970, is better than his ESF rating!

jb1970, I hope it wasn't my little jibe about old school that's put him off!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
since we can't all be in LDA having lessons with easiski (which were great, by the way) can anyone suggest a quick "litmus test" for instructors, to enable us to identify the ones worth sticking with. A question - "can you please show me how to do X" which will sort the men from the trolls.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, good question, and I don't know the answer, but I don't like to stick with one instructor for too long, cause I feel it's good to get a fresh set of eyes, and a fresh approach which can help me along.

I guess a good test would be to chat to them, and see if they are on your wavelength.
You could have the world's most technically proficient instructor, but if they can't teach YOU, because they can't relate to you, or work on your level, then it's going to be hard.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, how about "Buy me a drink and show me confirmatory evidence of your qualifications - only original certificates please as no duplicates will be accepted? wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, I think it's helpful to have a chat before the lesson and see what they ask you. If they're not willing to meet you before, then they I would think they don't really CARE. If you're just another job, their attitude will reflect that!

Wear The Fox Hat, "You could have the world's most technically proficient instructor, but if they can't teach YOU, because they can't relate to you, or work on your level, then it's going to be hard." Little Angel

slikedges, All the diplomes should be available at the ski school office. In France, anyone without a "Carte Professionelle" is not properly qualified. Some Brits don't bother to get one - but they should! Smile
ski holidays
easiski, I was going to list some examples, but let's start off with a simple one...

Do they speak and understand English well? (Or do you understand their language well?)

Laughing
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, As far as I'm concerned that goes without saying! Shock
snow conditions
easiski, I know! But while some students may love the Austrian accent as he tries to explain something in English, think of how much better it would have been if the student had been with an instructor who spoke English as their first language!
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, I'm actually not convinced that first language is necessary.

What I do believe is necessary is the ability to describe adequately what you're trying to say, and to be able to converse a bit (on the lift etc.) about other things. When i started teaching in French I made an effort to learn to say in French the same things that I say in English. I now feel there's not much difference when I teach between French and English (although I obviously speak the latter better), however I do notice my clients progress more slowly when I'm teaching in German, and when I'm forced to teach in Italian I feel totally inadequate. However the EFFORT is often what's needed more than the correct vocabulary. I have returning clients from all these languages, so it can't be that bad .............

Off topic: I often notice Brits speaking very fast and using colloquialisms and slang to foreign people. No wonder they can't understand. Speaking "proper" English and speaking more slowly than normal, using simple words, there'd be less problems. It is certainly unfair to criticise the level of someone's English (or any other language) whilst not speaking clearly and correctly ourselves! I'm not saying this is said on snowHead s but I've seen it too many times to count. Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy