Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

buying property

Poster: A snowHead
Any advice from people who have bought a ski apartment/chalet? We are looking to buy with a few friends but really dont know where to start. Any advice regarding type of accomadation, agencies, private sales, marketing for renta Madeye-Smiley l etc?
Thanks in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Things to look out for when buying :
- get your own notaire, pref one who speaks good english. They should cover all deed issues, co-proprietaire details, planning permission etc.
- you might want your notaire to exlpain the situation if/when you come to sell it - I'm not sure about whether the french equivalent of capital gains tax would affect you - in the french system it is quite high for selling any property (not just secondary residence etc)
- make sure you specify the inheritance, esp if you are co-owning with friends.
- if you can get a private sale, all well and good, as estate agent fees are high-ish.
- do not sign the compromis de vente before you are absolutely certain everything is ok, as you are tied in by a deposit from then on.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you buy in France, speaking the language tolerably well will make the whole project much, much easier
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Couldn't agree more poma. I would not have been able to do it without a good friend who is bilingual. I am about to embark on evening classes to progress my schoolboy french, as even though the market in France is well-developed regarding English buyers, the myriad communiques you recieve from various parties will blow you away if you haven't got the facility to translate.
Martski, the choice of property in France is much wider than Austria (can't speak for Switzerland - way over budget!), and if you're not a snob about resorts you can get real value for money. Most estate agents in resorts have an english speaker among them, but even a basic stab at the lingo will earn you a lot more cooperation.
Anything else you'd like to know specifically, feel free to ask Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Martski,
Think your question covers so many points that it would take an absolute age to cover. Unless you already have an area in mind the best bit of advice I would pass on is to really look at where you want to buy/Skiing domain available. e.g quaint village with access into large ski domain or something smaller ? Place not well known but may/may not link up with other resorts later ? etc etc. Also I think a big factor will be how you intend to use the place whether it is an investment foremost or a holiday home which you intend to rent out for the most part. As for agents etc I did most of my reasearch on the net/websites then actually went over to France and visited several places. Would never advise on buying blind.

Rgds

Rich

p.s The language tip is spot on ! I speak/read a little French (trying to improve rolling eyes ) even so the amount of paperwork/bureaucracy is unbelievable Sad and can be really frustrating
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Apart from anything else, the language thing is just good manners! And as I am constantly explaining to the children, good manners give good returns Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the advice, looking for a satellite village of large domain due to price, not for investment just for use of the three generations of our family who will use it.
Language should be ok, speak and read ok and have a friend who is a notaire in northern france so have got someone to annoy the hell out of with incessant questions. Am actually a lawyer but I dont think that will help in the slightest dealing with French bureaucracy.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the advice, looking for a satellite village of large domain due to price, not for investment just for use of the three generations of our family who will use it.
Language should be ok, speak and read ok and have a friend who is a notaire in northern france so have got someone to annoy the hell out of with incessant questions. Am actually a lawyer but I dont think that will help in the slightest dealing with French bureaucracy.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lawyers do everything in duplicate. wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
that is good laundry man! Though I will have to charge you for that!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
martski, we're in the process of buying at the moment. Check out the Chalets and Apartments thread here
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We've been in the process of buying a holiday business in Austria. Fantastic property with 5 self catering apartments, and best of all it's on the side of the piste for ski in ski out. Unfortunately, it's all fallen through after almost a year getting things sorted and we've now probably lost about £90k of our had earned cash. Obviously it's a huge blow to lose that kind of money but even worse our dream of emigrating to Austria will now have to be put on hold for a few more years whilst we try and earn some more money. To say we're pig sick would be putting it mildly. It sounds like you're buying in France but if you choose Austria we can give you plenty of advice on what not to do eg don't give the vendor half the money up front as a deposit. Crying or Very sad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Suzanne, that's terrible, I feel awful for you.

As for France, people need to be really sure they know what they're getting into, I've just been going through the sales contract for a place we're selling and it's riddled with errors, mostly it ought to be boiler plate contract and, incredibly, in most places discretionary content is there then it's wrong. This is my normal experience have done this a few times and done business in France. My guess is most English buying there simply haven't read and understood the contracts they've signed.

We've only done two property deals in Switzerland and so far, it's been fine.

However, for context, I don't think it's a whole lot better in the UK and I don't believe most people understand the detail of what they've done, in fact it's probably harder to understand in the UK anyway.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Suzanne, really sorry to hear that - sounds like a terrible experience. Hope you manage to get your money back in some way.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
martrski, get a good lawyer who really understands the French legal system, I'd recommend Stephen Smith of Stephen Smith France Ltd, he's based in Ipswich and his website is www.stephensmithfranceltd.com, he has a free advice line and has written a number of books on buying and renting property in France. My experience of dealing with French notaries, with one notable exception thanks to Stephen, ranges from the merely incompetent to the almost criminally absymal.
Suzanne, that's terrible, hope you can get some recompence.
ski holidays
Personally I would try and rent for a season in the resort your thinking of buying in to make sure its really for you too.
latest report
martski, Probably not what you're looking for but my family have a large house in a small village outside of Val Thorens which we are looking to sell. It's in a village with no ski lifts, shops, restaurants (but 8kms to nearest ski lift at St Martin De Belleville) etc... but just thought I'd mention it in case it's the sort of thing you're looking for. PM me if you are.
ski holidays
grhc, 17 year old thread resurrection, quite impressive Toofy Grin but think martski, might be sorted by now Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Yes - saw that a bit later! Agree!
latest report
@grhc,welcome to snowHeads snowHead

If I may offer some advice, forum regulars tend to frown on a first time poster resurrecting old threads in order to sell their wares, particularly if they do it in multiple threads.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy