Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Iran: "dozens of 4000m peaks", "excellent powder", "lift tickets for $5/day

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
But there are a few drawbacks: "bureaucratic hell" in obtaining visas, limited infrastructure and (I guess) some need to acclimatise.

The above points are pulled from this interesting report on iafrica.com.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think Kuwait_Ian is our resident "Ski Iran" expert. He's not posted for a few days - is he on holiday somewhere?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Last I heard Kuwait_ian was going to Cyprus.

On the visa issue going to any of the Middle East countries the standard application time is about two weeks or 10 working days. Iran is no different. My Iranian visa took between 4 to 7 working days including forward and return courier times. I therefore disagree with "bureaucratic hell"in obtaining visas. Mind you I go there on business and only ski when there is spare time and so I have an Iranian company sponsoring my visa.

The skiing resort infrastructure is indeed limited and most dating back to Shah or pre-revolution era.

I too also share the same impression that Iran has a huge skiing potential to offer to the rest of the world. A few resorts have a 9-month skiing season and snow can be seen in my Tehran hotel window even in June.

The ski passes I paid were between US$ 5 to 6.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar.org.uk, hi Rob and others. Saikee was right - I'm just back from an internet-free week in Cyprus. Lovely. Bit of a chore catching up with snowHeads ......... thanks for the 'expert' status but I'm only really familiar with the resorts near Tehran and my knowledge is getting a bit dated. From Saikee's posts and photos, things haven't changed very much since my time there.

There are now a few Iranian travel operators putting trips together. That will solve the visa problem if unlike Saikee you don't have a legit business reason for applying. But unless you've skied everywhere else and are teetotal and male, I honestly could not yet recommend Iran as a destination for a winter holiday. But if you are going anyway in the long season, take your boots and a jacket (and ideally your own board or skis). Rental kit in Iran is out-dated and pretty awful. Buying new on the spot is very expensive.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sounds like somewhere to bear in mind. I would assume the flights are expensive so only a business trip would make it worthwhile....but in a few years time..who nows..!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I flew from Newcastle. The dosmestic fare from Newcastle to London is usually more expensive than the international flight from London to Tehran. That should tell us something about BA.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Off Topic - not worth a new thread - - - - but 2 Iranian Female Mountaineers have conquered Everest. Full story from the Scotsman which couldn't resist comparing the Middle East's highest mountain Mt Damavand with Ben Nevis. No contest. wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I went to Iran a couple of years ago with the alpine ski club
there is a report of the trip here

http://www.alpineskiclub.org.uk/iran.htm

It has huge potential for touring and ski mountianeering. the actual ski resorts are pretty limited, but good on a powder day.

You can drink there and it isnt much fun for women.

I would go back on a ski mountineering expedition for sure
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
philingle, excellent report. Thank you.
But a typo in your post - - - - You can NOT drink there - legally. It's a strict Islamic Republic.
But (if you have a source) bootleg vodka is quite cheap but usually has to be bought by the gallon. Tonic is several times the price of the hooch. Iranians often do a bit of distilling in their own homes and there is a superb home made liqueur made from bitter cherries, sugar, vodka, cloves and cinnamon. Vishnoofkah is it's name and it tastes a bit like spicy port. A great winter warmer - I used to have a couple of miniatures in jacket pockets for secret sips on a chairlift.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 12-06-05 7:30; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kuwait_ian, Sounds fun, but which bit of you do they cut off if you're caught drinking alcohol?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski, I never got caught. Confused When travelling from UK, I used to pad the ends of my skis in the bag with a few bags of powdered malt for brewing. The authorities really don't seem to mind foreigners having alcohol in their own homes. Same goes here. Just don't sell it or truck it around. My villa in Tehran got broken into a couple of times and the police weren't interested in the bar, optics or the technically illegal satellite dish. Unfortunately it's one rule for the expats, one for the rich Iranians who can pay off unwanted attention, and one for the vast bulk of the population. Over 65 million of them and rising. Making babies is about the only legal 'fun' activity - apart from skiing and sliding of course snowHead Oh and they are pretty keen on football - especially as they have qualified for the World Cup.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy