Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where are you going next year?

Poster: A snowHead
At long last, I grace you with my return! Laughing

I never did get that 2nd week Sad, (bloody Easter holidays, made it too expensive. Mad) but now I'm back and even though its summer, I will be talking non-stop and dreaming about skiing until the snow clouds return. snowHead

Back on topic, I will be off to Banff in January and hopefully I will get that 2nd week this time. Are the Easter holidays in April next year? I hope so!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am going to realize one of the skiing ambitions in my profile and use some inherited money to go Heli Skiing for a week !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Well, if I wait much longer to do it my skiing will have started to go downhill).

This will be my first time skiing in North America too (actually Canada)

I and a friend (Stuart Bonham) have been investigating various options. The problem with Alaska was so many days of bad weather when you sit around unable to fly and feeling your money dribbling down the drain. The problem with Canada and most other US places is the skiing is too easy (catering to rich, occasional skiers - and also because the snow is less stable than Alaska).

The compromise I've found is Last Frontier . Look under packages and click on Ripley Creek Info for the one I just booked. A new Lodge for 10 guests - which is 2 ski groups of 5, each with a guide. It is so new that every group so far has skied new, unskied routes and been invited to name them!

Before that we are going to ski 6 days in Whistler and do a couple of them skiing with the Extremely Canadian 2 day off piste clinic.
I've found a return flight to Vancouver for £447 - and that's at a counvenient times of day too - not 6.30am flights.

PS Sorry, David Goldsmith (or, rather, sorry world climate), it will just be the once, honest! And I don't usually fly out to ski but go by train.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 26-05-05 13:32; edited 4 times in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Courchevel for Xmas, Kitzbuhel for Feb half term. It'll be the first season without a couple of weeks in N.America in about 12 years. And I've had to turn down a sneaky weekend in January.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
La Plagne 1800..............

ALL DAMN SEASON! = VERY VERY HAPPY NADE snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nadenoodlee, Will you be working out there ???
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nice one, Nadenoodlee.

I just recieved a substantial bonus from work (Royal Mail) and it = skiing holiday paid for!! snowHead

And a new pair of designer glasses! Cool

As you can tell I'm extremely cheerful at the moment. Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty, I will indeed! Chalet host in 1800. Cant wait!

RichardB, Nice one!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RichardB, nice and cold in Banff in january, Im hoping to go back to banff next year but i'll wait until March its a little warmer then.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Russell, is Banff as good as I have been hearing? I went to Fernie this last January and loved it but I've decided to check out Banff this time as it sounds a lot livelier for apres ski.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
RichardB, I have skiied a lot in Banff/L.Louise and (obviously) really like it. Banff is a very pleasant town indeed; I'm not sure why, I think it's the location/scenery. There are plenty of good bars and restaurants in Banff and a few club type places (I think, I'm too old for that sort of thing).

The skiing at Sunshine is varied and and well served by the lift system. The grub at the ski base is nothing to write home about, but it's not bad, and it's cheap, and this N.America after all.

L.Louise is also excellent. The back bowls are good fun in good light (often it's very flat), and Larch is good fun. Eat/drink at least once in the L.Louise Station, in the 'village'.

Norquay is a small area and the closest to Banff. It has a good variety of shortish runs, including some tricky ones, and is well worth a visit in good snow, which you will certainly have.

We have always hired a car in Calgary. There is a bus between the towns/ski areas, free if you have the tri area pass (Sunshine, Norquay and LL), but I prefer my own transport, and you avoid the airport transfer bus which has to be good news. Where are you staying, or don't you know?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Im off to Morzine again at some point, My fellas boss owns a Chalet in Essert Romand ( 5 min drive from morzine). Its a great spot especially when you know your not paying to stay there!! cant wait!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If all goes to plan current thinking includes; Val D'Isere, Champoluc, Morzine, St Anton and a bit of a trip around Utah...

snowball,

Have done 2 trips with Last Frontier's sister operation, TLH, and generally well impressed.

Notwithstanding the pain of 5 down days the second time - we were unlucky!!! A very expensive way to spend time in a log cabin.

N.B., remember that extra vertical is extremely good value for money!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm staying at the Inns of Banff, richmond.

I don't drive (I am starting lessons, though.) so I will be relying on the bus, do you know how far the hotel is from main downtown Banff?

I recieved a letter from the company I booked the holiday through today and my flight has changed in terms of Airline, time and airport terminal, I'm now flying with Monarch, have to get there 3 hours before 0930 and now instead of Terminal 2 of Manchester Airport, I'm now at Terminal 1. (I prefer Terminal 2! Sad )
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not quite sure yet. If I manage to save my pocket money up then possibly a season in Val d'Isere, if not then two weeks in Whistler, and then a few weeks in other places.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I'm now flying with Monarch,

RichardB, OKay if your under 5ft 4in.
snow report
RichardB,

Inns of Banff is right up at the top end of town. It's a fair old trek into the centre, or at least it feels like that when the temperature's 30 below (as it can be in January). Still, there's a bus that goes up and down the main drag, and it only costs a couple of bucks. Also, you'll probably be the first drop-off by the airport transfer bus.

Inns of Banff has a big outdoor hot tub, which is nice, if you don't freeze your extremities getting in/out, an indoor pool and a reasonable Japanese restaurant. You're also just over the road from the legendary Bumpers, home of the massive steak.

Banff/LL in January can be bitterly cold, I've known it with the temperatures too cold to start the lifts first thing in the morning, but you might get lucky and only experience temperatures of about -10. You need to be sure that your goggles are highly frost-resistant (double glazing is imperative), and you might find it worhwhile buying some of those hand-warmer sachets to put in your gloves (the type which work on the principle of an exothermic oxidation of something when you open the packet).

However, I'm sure you'll find the skiing is GREAT. Go to Sunshine when the sun is shining, and Lake Louise when it's cloudy and the visibility is likely to be poor. If you get fresh powder, it'll be better at Sunshine (but as richmond says, the back bowls at LL can be awesome (that early in the season, it'll depend on coverage: LL doesn't get so much snow as Sunshine).

Have fun!!!
latest report
six weeks in Gulmarg in the western Himalayas !

Very Happy
snow report
We're planning Sun Peaks in Canada end of Feb, Saalbach or Ischgl mid Jan and perhaps a last minute whatever's available wherever some snow is over Christmas or New Year snowHead

Is it a bloke thing not wanting to actually book it? We've decided we'll go to Sun Peaks next year, we know when - as I've changed jobs I can't have time off in March so it'll have to be end of Feb - and I want to just book it, especially as its still early bird and a bit cheaper. But no, for some reason we can't book yet.....I've a good mind to book a holiday for one and see what sir says Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Cathy - if you do book early, and you're planning to go out for a couple of weeks, it might be worth checking out the cost of season passes vs the cost of buying passes for the duration of your stay once you get there. I'm not sure about Sun Peaks, but we have season passes for Big White/Silver Star (a bit further down the Okanagan valley, but than far in the Canadian scheme of things from Sun Peaks) and it breaks even at about 10 days skiing if you buy the passes before the end of September. Plus you then get a discount off lessons, accomodation, rentals, purchases from resort owned shops, etc. Actually have just checked and it's $399 for the Sun Peaks season pass until September 18th compared to the daily price of $56/day.
latest report
We're off to Cervinia for a week during the easter hols, wish it was longer. Sad
snow report
Okanagan wrote:
Cathy - if you do book early, and you're planning to go out for a couple of weeks, it might be worth checking out the cost of season passes vs the cost of buying passes for the duration of your stay once you get there.

Thanks for that tip Okanagan - you're obviously fans of the area! Crystal are going to Sun Peaks this year and they had that offer on their pages as well - even for 10 days the price of a season ticket was cheaper than a normal pass.

Whilst you're here wink is it too far to travel to Big White or Silver Star for the day from Sun Peaks? I see there are coaches travel between the resorts but it looks a bit of a distance.

We've been intending to go to SP for the last few years but we got hooked by Banff! Making a break this year Very Happy snowHead
snow conditions
3V for the first time!
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Quote:

I'm now flying with Monarch,

RichardB, OKay if your under 5ft 4in.

Thanks for the morale booster, Frosty the Snowman, I'm 6' 2" but I have upgraded to Premium so, hopefully, the leg room will be better where I'm sitting.
snow conditions
snowball,

Looks great and not too badly priced. I might look into it but maybe will do the same in Europe with just a few lifts per week.

Otherwise it will be a few low key areas in Switzerland.
ski holidays
Looking for something a bit different? Why not try Heliski in Kamchatka?
My Finnish friend Kassu reports that this is truly the most awesome place he has ever been in his life. I'm thinking: Wife, kids, new baby. Naah. Can't do it. But I can dream..
snow report
My wife retired from full time employment plans to rent an a 2 bed apartment in Nendaz for 4 weeks from early March to early April, and play host to any of our friends who want to come out ski-ing at a cost price. The plan is I drive out for the first week, ski one week, leave the car and fly back home, fly back end of the third week, ski for a week and we all drive home. We will get a deal on a 4 week let, have a good time in the mountains in a place we very much like entertaining our friends, that's the plan. How about that for something a bit different!
ski holidays
DAVID SNELL, that sounds great.
latest report
27th Feb to 10th March booked off work.
The exact details will depend on where the good snow has fallen in Europe - although am praying to the snowgods that its good in either Austria or Italy!
First time I'll have gone 2 weeks consecutive - am hoping for a big improvement in the learning curve!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hopefully we are going to either Saas Fee or Wengen for 1 week in Ski School - we can't make up our minds which to opt for.
snow report
mountain mad, it's a good idea to have a day off half way through.
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, depends when you plan to go, Sass Fee is probably more snow sure but if you plan to be out between Late Jan and early March the Wengen area should be fully open and well covered, Wengen is prettier though Laughing If in Wengen consider the Privat ski school if you want private lessons as I've only heard nice things about them
snow report
D G Orf, Thanks I will bear that in mind. Smile We will be having group lessons so how do the ski schools fair on that front?
snow report
IncogSkiSno, Privat don't do group i.e ski school lessons only privately booked groups, however the Swiss Ski School is pretty good though as always you never can be certain which class will have which instructor. Any Wengen specific questions PM me and I'll do my best to answer them
ski holidays
Cathy Coins, it's just about exactly 100 miles from Sun Peaks to Silver Star, so a good couple of hours even in good road conditions.
ski holidays
That's the first one confirmed - January 2006 - Zermatt Very Happy
latest report
In case no one has worked it out yet, I'll be in Wengen, I'm just not sure for how long, 2 weeks at least but possibly a month Cool
snow report
D G Orf, Wengen, no, you surprise me.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, I know, I know but what can I do, it's expected of me Laughing
snow report
D G Orf, You really are a Wengen enthusiast aren't you? snowHead I think you've almost convinced me - I will have to go now just to see what all the fuss is about!
snow conditions
IncogSkiSno, Strange, i have been having similar thoughts
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy