Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Don't know where to go next year...

Poster: A snowHead
There are so many places and so little time ! I have on my short list :-
Utah - but which resort?
Winter Park - has it no soul ?
Beavercreek - is it too small and expensive?
Vail - is it too busy ?
Aspen - ?
Zermatt - ?

My criteria -: perfect snow Toofy Grin
gentle off piste as we're just learning
long runs and varied terrain - prefer skiing in valleys etc. instead of the side of the mountain
we liked the skiing at Courchevel and Lech
we're good intermediates - can do any red run
We like the alpine feel

The husband doesn't like flying too far. i.e.Exeter to Innsbruck is a long enough flight ! But this is way down on my priorities - he'll have to just grin and bear it.

Any suggestions!
Erica
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Utah - well, I could point you to the link in my signature, but suffice it to say you'd like Snowbird or Park City
http://www.theskishop.co.uk/Ski/Resorts/utah.htm (Brighton, Alta, Snowbird, Park City, 2003)
http://www.theskishop.co.uk/Ski/Resorts/epic04.html (2004, this also includes photos from Jackson Hole, WY)

Winter Park - staying in the village, you have more options, but fewer people. Staying slopeside you have fewer bars, but better atmosphere. As for the skiing, it's where I cut my teeth in powder. I'd recommend it if you like bumps. No, I mean REALLY like bumps.
http://www.theskishop.co.uk/Ski/Resorts/WinterPark.html (this is from 4 years ago)

Beaver Creek - It's expensive, it's not big, although there is a lot of mountain to cover. The customer service is phenonmenal. If you go to Vail, I'd recommend you go to BC for at least one day.

Vail - It can be busy on the frontside, but it is the biggest in the US, so, once you get up the mountain, or into the back bowls, then you'll have plenty of room to play. The only thing is that much of the back bowls and Blue Sky Basin are for more advanced skiers (although there are plenty of other ways down.) Lift pass is the same as BC (it's the same pass), but staying there is cheaper.
http://www.wtfh.com/4616/7901.html (Vail, BC and Copper, March 05)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Banff/L.Louise?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Given your criteria I would go back to Courchevel 2nd week in March. If Hubby doesn't like flying too far then dont even contemplate crossing the pond, stick to Europe. With the money saved you could book some very nice chalet instead (even Scott Dunn).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman, money saved? Wow, sounds like you're stuck in the last millenium!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wear The Fox Hat, Sorry but I am biased, as lunchtime food tends to be better in Europe. Flights, lift passes, time off work, insurance? (perhaps not), instruction. A great week in a good resort can be had for £500 in a good catered chalet, I really dont see how US of A is any cheaper, even given the current exchange rate. Having said that I would be very interested to know how to do it on the cheap as I/we am attracted by good service and quiet slopes.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman, book direct!
e.g. End of January this year, flights + ski in/ski out accomodation in Big Sky, Montana, was about £550 for me. Hotel had hot tubs, pool, etc. Breakfast included.
Instruction? Well, the Americans speak a version of English as their first language, not French or German.

The only downside of going to North America is the flight time, but since you're not on a sleazyjet type plane, there is legroom and you do get service.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
The only downside of going to North America is the flight time, but since you're not on a sleazyjet type plane, there is legroom and you do get service.

The only downside ? rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty - husband doesn't want to back to Courchevel - done that, been there, skied all the pisted runs. Yes, really. (Apart from the mogul black from Saulire). And it was the most expensive holiday we've ever had !
WTF - I may have asked you before, but Snowbird appears to be given a 'best for the experts' rating - is this true ? Is it a nice town?
Winter Park - is there soft powdery snow without the bumps ? We both really want to do off-piste but not 'off-mountainside'.
Cheers - will look at your links.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
erica2004, Snowbird itself is not a pretty town, it's very much in the French concrete design (but that is more to do with avalanches)
As for the skiing, there is a lot of advanced stuff there, but there are plenty of intermediate runs, and if you go into Mineral Basin, it's an intermediate bowl - lots of fun there!

Winter Park has plenty of powder, and not all of it is bumps, or vertical. During the week it is quiet, but can get busy at weekends as it is the nearest resort to Denver.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
From your skier profile, you've done quite a bit in Austria plus Courchevel, Saas Fee and Soldeu. If you want to go somewhere great and new for 2wk, consider Utah very seriously, but given your husband's "been there, done all the pisted runs" approach to Courchevel you may find the resorts very small - make sure you hire a car and pick somewhere you can ski all 9-10 Utah resorts from. I've never skied Colorado, unfortunately, so can't comment...

If you're just going for a week, given that you like long runs, varied terrain, alpine feel etc and you're used to Courchevel prices, try Zermatt or Chamonix.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Park City.
Don't even think about staying at Snowbird if you really are the skier you say you are, and if you like the kind of thing you say you do.
Snowbird is Flaine, but without the atmosphere. Great skiing (I really do mean GREAT) but it is still a small concrete block in a valley.
Park City is a pleasant, thriving town. 3 good ski resorts within 5-10 mins of wherever you are staying (Deer valley, Park City, The Canyons). Snowbird and Alta are 45 mins drive away (do go there..did I mention the GREAT skiing?).
It was significantly cheaper for us to fly to Salt Lake City and rent a house with a (hot) heated swimming pool than it was to book a self catered appartment in France (it was 1/2 term though).
The Utah snow is usually terrific. The people are very friendly. the mountains good. Shopping and eating out is cheap. Travel is a hassle, but Park City is only 40 mins drive from Salt Lake City airport (compare that to the Colorado transfers which can be very long indeed).
The only other negative is mountain-food. It isn't up to european standards, but it seems a small thing in the big picture.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
erica2004,
For perfect snow you are better to wait and see where is good but for your other criteria there are any number of decent resorts in Europe if Hubby doesnt like flying far.

Other than those mentioned think of: Ischgl, Wengen, Flims, Klosters in Swiss/ Austia plus all the usual suspects in France.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Go to Europe, you know you want to. It's just so much better.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Go to Les Deux Alpes
snow report
Tahoe!

(BTW, what time of year are you thinking of ?)
ski holidays
They haven't posted yet so I'll save them the effort:

D G Orf "Wengen"

David@traxvax "La Rosiere"

wink
snow report
Plake, Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Plake, You're being slightly unfair, I have heard them speak well of Lauterbrunnen and La Thuile, respectivley.
snow report
erica2004,
The Colorado resorts tend to have long flight times and multiple transfers. e.g Heathrow - Chicago, Chicago - Denver, Denver - nearest resort airport. You can cut out one of those links by flying direct to Denver with BA, but it will cost you.

I think you can fly direct to Salt lake City for Utah resorts and then its a relatively short transfer to resort. The Utah resorts are probably easier on your husband if he is not keen on flying.

Skiing in both Colorado and Utah is good, to say the least. I like Park City(for its easy access to 3 resorts) in Utah and Steamboat (great skiing, and an oldish town with a bit of character) in Colorado. Wherever you go, I very much doubt that you will be disapointed.
snow report
T Bar wrote:
erica2004,
For perfect snow you are better to wait and see where is good...

That's one of the great things about Utah or Colorado, the snow is always good!
ski holidays
Thanks a lot for your help. I'm still undecided. When I finished skiing this year I was glad to have a rest, but my skis are looking at me temptingly and I'm sort of wanting just to put them on my feet....
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat,
Quote:

That's one of the great things about Utah or Colorado, the snow is always good!

Thats what they told me about Jackson Hole and it rained when I went (in Jan) Puzzled
Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Val D as it can be anything you want it to be!

Ischgl, but book early or direct. Hotels don't do discounts as they get the Germans to pay the prices they want.
Should be able to get a cheapie to Zurich (EUjet) and then train/post bus. Bit of a pig journey on paper but Swiss trains will get you to St A or Landeck every easily and painlessly.
In fact, I think I will try that this year as it is always a place I have wanted to visit..! Expect the hotels to be the most expensive part of the Hol'
snow report
JT,
Went to Galtur a few years back and the hotel offered to pick us up from the station at Landeck, thus making the trip pretty easy from either Zurich or Innsbruck. I have forgotten the name of the hotel though.
ski holidays
I think I can agree with all the posts so far whether it be Val d'Isere, Courchevel or whatever.

All I can relate is my best ski-ing hol. ever.

Four of us flew to Denver, rented a big Chevy van from the airport (bit like a Ford Transit) and drove to Breckenridge and stayed in a glorious 3 bedroom 3 bathroom apartment. We skied 4 days in Breck. and drove over to Keystone for 2 days. At the end of the week drove over to Vail, with a stop for a ski at Copper Mountain.
On to Vail where we stayed at a Motel just outside the resort (not great but cheap) skied 4 days in Vail and had a couple of days ski-ing in Beaver Creek. Champagne powder all the way, and a great St. Patrick's day party on the last day back in Vail.

You couldn't book a package like that - all self assembly - would highly recommend the twin centre angle if you can take more than one week.
snow report
Actually DAVID SNELL, you can book a package like that!

We did with Ski the US Dream, 1 week in Keystone (with day trips to Breck and A-Basin) and a week in Vail (with day trip to BCreek). The days trips were not part of the deal admittedly, you had to get off the backside and onto the bus, but its all very easy and close.

As I have posted elsewhere I think Blue Sky to be one of the best in-bounds, off-piste places ever (if you know what I mean), but agree with WTFH , possibly not if you are trying to get to grips with it for the first time.

So while noting unashamedly that I have no experience of Utah or California, Colorado does it for me every time, and I think everyone should go at least once in their lives. And yes absolutely agree with DS, get in as many resorts as you can.

I just wish it was closer!
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, I cannot recall ever praising Lauterbrunnen except for the fact that it's a little cheaper wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Erica, Go to Whistler. One flight direct heathrow to Vancouver, and the best skiing and resort in the world at the other end!
snow report
erica2004, I have just the place for you. Perfect snow, plenty of secluded intermediate runs, and Warren Miller will himself initiate you into your first off-piste moments.

$3m is a lot to pay for a holiday, though. Especially if you wind up on a chair lift with Dan Quayle.
snow conditions
While you're saving, why not ski next door at Lone Peak?
I was there earlier this year.

No, not at Yellowstone, but at Big Sky.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy