Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR: Belle Etoile North Face

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking out of my window it seemed to have snowed on Monday and the temperatures were a good deal colder. A Tuesday outing looked like a plan, but where to go? I was fed up with long approach marches so settled on the North Side of the Belle Etoile.... this would give 1000 meters of skiing with only 100 meters of climbing on foot.

The route

By driving up a green ski piste it was possible to reach around 1650 meters leaving only 20 minutes of level walk to reach the snowline

Chalet de Pra and the Oursiere Piste

The Combe de Pra is part of the Sept Laux's famous secured off-piste and also leads to the Dent de Pra.

The walk was pleasantly bucolic

There was a dusting of fresh snow from 2100m and around 5cm (of somewhat crusty) snow from 2400. This was on a hard base so climbing on skins was delecate as the slope reached 35 degrees.

Indianna Jones

The first 80 meters of descent is around 40 degrees angle, due to the sluffing of the surface snow I had to veer to the right then back to the left to avoid skiing over tumbling ice.

By following a ridge that had caught the sun I pretty much avoided the crusty snow (wind crust?).

and it was a very pleasant ski down

and by some careful route planning I eventually made it to 1750 meters - where I ran out of snow and didn't have water skis

the return to the ski resort was marked by cigarette butts, fag packets and old lift passes

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lovely little adventure. It almost sounds like something I could do! Almost.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Do you normally get some ski-ing this late in the year? Looks like you weren't at very high altitude either...

(Nice pictures, btw, its raining here Sad )
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sounds fantastic, just the sort of day out I would love, but what do the local authorities think about
Quote:

By driving up a green ski piste it was possible to reach around 1650 meters leaving only 20 minutes of level walk to reach the snowline

Was it a track?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
looks great

Can you tell me more about this??

"The Combe de Pra is part of the Sept Laux's famous secured off-piste"

Do you mean secured as in patrolled a la the US of A "in/out of bounds"??

and why is it famous?

regards,

greg
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Martin Nicholas wrote:

Was it a track?

The piste is just in front of the fag packet. The piste patrol drive up in pick-ups to service the Oursiere chair lift although you can't get all the way in a car as there is a large drainage ditch.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gregh wrote:
looks great

Can you tell me more about this??

"The Combe de Pra is part of the Sept Laux's famous secured off-piste"

Do you mean secured as in patrolled a la the US of A "in/out of bounds"??

and why is it famous?

regards,

greg

Hi Greg,

Yes they have quite a lot of secured outbounds skiing in this resort. The problem with the Pra is it is rarely officilally open although all the easily accessible slopes get patrolled - I wonder if this is a legal thing. I will have to ask the resort why this is.

Famous... well it appears in a lot of French mags - I will scan some pics and post them. Maybe I should have kept quiet about it?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof wrote:
Maybe I should have kept quiet about it?

Too late Wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looking out of my window early last Saturday it seemed to have been raining, and the temperatures were a good deal more non-descript. An outing looked like a plan, but where to go? A long approach march was a possibility, but it seemed more sensible to get in the car to get to.....ah yes.......100m of Dendix Crying or Very sad

B@$¬@%D!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
GrahamN wrote:
Looking out of my window early last Saturday it seemed to have been raining, and the temperatures were a good deal more non-descript. An outing looked like a plan, but where to go? A long approach march was a possibility, but it seemed more sensible to get in the car to get to.....ah yes.......100m of Dendix :cry:

excellent post... can you imagine going to the Snowdome kitted out like some hardcore alpinist and then climbing up the slope? That would get them going. One for Jackass.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof, Last November there was a guy trying out some skins at the castleford Xscape in full gear with a ruc sac on. the local news program were filming him but I never found out what it was for.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy