Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen (Ramsau), Austria - Jan 2011!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Just booked holiday 1 of hopefully two, to Mayrhofen for January 2011 - very excited! In previous years have been to Serre Chevalier, Borovets and last year was Sauze D'Oulx.

Can anybody give some general hints and tips for this resort, places to go, best areas to ski outside of the main Penken area using the pass (am a low/mid level intermediate so relatively confident until my legs wear out!) etc. Have gleaned from other posters and the t'interweb that go up as early as possible and come back as late as possible on the gondola to avoid queing, although going most likely going up on the Horberghbahn gondola so one would assume this will be a little quieter? Anywhere good and relatively inexpensive up on mountain for food that is worth looking out for?

We are also staying at the Hotel Zillerhof so any reviews of this accomodation would be great. We are aware we are staying outside of the main village so is there anything to do in Ramsau as well of an evening or apres ski, or is it best to stick to the centre of Mayrhofen? Anyone know if there are there opportunities to get a bus back in the evening/other modes of transport?

Lots of questions but any info would be great (sorry to start a new thread; couple of the others I looked at seemed to veer off topic a little)

Thanks,

Fifi Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
FiFi_Trixibell, the Zillertalbahn train goes from Ramsau to Mayrhofen, takes about ten mins. Trouble is that the last one into Mayrhofen appears to be around 20:16. Maybe a taxi home or a sobering walk!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Fifi,

Don't bother spending too much time on the Penken. It's a big area, but far too busy most of the time. If you do go up there make sure you use the Horbegbahn gondola as opposed to the Penkenbahn. The queues on the Penkenbahn can be massive. Most of the skiing on Penken takes place around the Horberg bowl, but I much prefer going up the 150 cable car and skiing over to Eggalm (on the far lef of the piste map). Much queiter and generally nicer over there. The only problem with that is getting back to Mayrhofen side, there is one piste (Red 16 I think) which everyone has to go down and as a consequence is is a nightmare by midafternoon. You can go down in the cable car to avoid it, but it's much more enjoyable to ski all afternoon in Eggalm and get the GreenLine bus back to the station in Mayrhofen. The buses run between Mayrhofen and the Hintertux every 20 minutes at peak times, and the trains are every 30 minutes I think.

I can't picture where the Zillertalhof is, but it is very easy to get the train up and down the valley. There is a station in Ramsau which is a couple of minutes walk from the lift. The Ramsau ski area is not big by any means, but is is always deserted which is brilliant. There are some really wide, very smooth pistes there, and the off piste can be brilliant if you're up there on a powder day. It is even possible to ski off piste down into Ramsau, but I would not recommend this unless you are able to fill the gouges in your skis yourself. I think there is a bar and even a club in Ramsau, but with regards to nightlife, it's hardly Mayrhofen. I can't remember what time the trains finish, it could be about 8pm.

As for the other ski areas in the valley, there's the Hintertux glacier (steep and very cold) at the top of the valley and down the valley from the Hof you have Zell am Ziller, Kaltenbach and Fugen. Zell is a massive ski area. If you go very quick then you can go all the way over to Hoch Krimml and back to Zell in a day, but it's not as much fun as taking your time and exploring the place. Kaltenbach is also very good, but busier. Void the crowds by going to HochFugen on the other side of the mountain. The lowest area is Fugen which is not as big as the others and takes a while to get to on the train, but I have a feeling it is being linked to Kaltenbach/HochFugen this year, so maybe worth a look. You will find that the restaurants on the mountain are fairly reasonable all over the valley but of there is one place to recommend is is the ShnitzelHutte in Zell Am Ziller. It's on a really good red run ( and quite easier too) and the Wienershnitzels are about the size of a small child.

have fun!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Seems there's 2 Hotel Zillerhofs? I'm sure both are reasonably conveniently located for bus to most of the main Zillertal areas. Horbergbahn makes more sense than Penkenbahn, assuming there's a bus there? I'd also consider Zell am Ziller since the hotel is about equidistant between Mayrhofen and there. Never had to queue to go up there. I would assume that the main bus up/down the valley must call there, and stop pretty close to the hotel?

Train could be handy for Kaltenbach/Fügen areas, since that station is pretty close to the lift iirc. Mayrhofen and Zell am Ziller stations are annoyingly not that close to the lifts, which means an extra skibus.

Since you mention January, Zell am Ziller has some crazy sledge race event which is either entertaining, or a complete nightmare getting on/off the mountain, depending on your viewpoint. I think it's the weekend of 15-16th Jan.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for replies so far, tonnes of info there from everyone so that's great. Additional wise knowledge still requested though Smile

The lift passes we have booked are area passes however I am assuming that this will only cover the piste map for mayrhofen and therefore make travelling further afield not really viable? Though obviously I'm not sure on this unless someone knows for definite that it does allow access elsewhere.

Going on the amount of ski travelling we are likely to do, going on the possibily we only have a local area pass anyway; I wouldn't say I'm at the standard to be covering half the map in a day anyway! I think it probably is likely we will spend quite a bit of our time in the Penken area as a starting point purely as we have never been to Mayrhofen. We may look into skiing further afield later in the week now we have some useful tips to go on Wink

Have done some digging and there are buses that run through the villages between mayrhofen and Ramsau so thats cool. Will just have to see how it plays out in terms of getting about and times etc when we get there.

The hotel is listed on tripadviser as Hotel Zillerhof; Ramsau, Zillertal. When booked through Crystal, Hotel is supposedly 10k outside of Mayrhofen (further than I anticipated!), has a bus stop outside which takes u to the Horbergbahn taking 10mins. Sounds like a decent enough position to be in so fingers crossed and at least we are not going to need the main penken gondola Smile Going away as a couple so I'm not massively worried about hitting the apres ski hard but hope we wont be totally stuck out in the middle of nowhere especially as we are in proximity of a renown lively resort.

Can tell I'm over-excited about going as spent the last 2 days googling and watching videos on youtube, searching for info and studying the piste map. In a way the anticipation is sometimes as good as the going away part! (well, allbeit until you step out in the snow of the very first day. Amazing!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
AFAIK the "area" pass is usually everything in the valley (for 6day+ passes), with the possible exception of the Hintertux glacier (which I thought was a bonus - I could be wrong though).

There's plenty at Mayrhofen/Penken for a week (that's where I did my 2nd+3rd weeks). There's just 2 other areas on the same pass of a similar size that people (mostly) forget about.

If it's where I think it is, then it's about 5km from Penkenlift (which is the far end of town) rather than 10km, but 10 mins bus ride to Horberg sounds about right (also 10 mins or so to Zillertal Arena, assuming a bus goes that way). 10km from Penkenbahn takes you right thru Ramsau to Zell am Ziller, so that's the first TO that I've come across that opts on the pessimistic side Wink

Hopefully my 1st ski trip of the season will be to Kaltenbach for a long weekend, as a warmup for the s7BB. Can't wait.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
andy, You're right with regard to lift passes in that if you buy a pass for more than 3 days you have to buy an pass for the whole Zillertall valley but that pass does does include Hintertux.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FiFi_Trixibell wrote:
Thanks for replies so far, tonnes of info there from everyone so that's great. Additional wise knowledge still requested though Smile

The lift passes we have booked are area passes however I am assuming that this will only cover the piste map for mayrhofen and therefore make travelling further afield not really viable? Though obviously I'm not sure on this unless someone knows for definite that it does allow access elsewhere.

It definitely covers all areas in the Zillertal - you can't buy a pass for 3 or more days which doesn't. And that includes travel on the train, except for a few "special" steam trains.

Quote:

Going on the amount of ski travelling we are likely to do, going on the possibily we only have a local area pass anyway; I wouldn't say I'm at the standard to be covering half the map in a day anyway! I think it probably is likely we will spend quite a bit of our time in the Penken area as a starting point purely as we have never been to Mayrhofen. We may look into skiing further afield later in the week now we have some useful tips to go on Wink

You will find that Zell am Ziller and Kaltenbach will be much better than the Penken area if you want space and reasonably quiet pistes.

From where you are. either of those will be as quick to get to as Penken. Kaltenbach is further on the train, but the gondolas are about 250m walk from the station, while both Zelll am Ziller and either the Penken or Horbergbahn gondloas for Penke require a bus after you get off the train.

If you can get a bus direct to the Horbergbahn, that will be quicker.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Although Mayerhofn is fairly well populated in Google Earth, there is an overlay file avaliable here http://www.ebenbichler.com/tvb-mayrhofen/GE/FMH.kml from http://www.mayrhofen.at/service/google-earth-info.html?L=1

Should you be in Mayerhofen and looking for a traditional Austrian restaraunt that does not look like it's run by Disney I'd recommend Wirtshaus Griena
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
'cos I am stupid I got a wee bit confused....
This is all about Ramsau, Zillertal as opposed to my local Ramsau am Dachstein then... doh!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
flangesax wrote:
'cos I am stupid I got a wee bit confused....
This is all about Ramsau, Zillertal as opposed to my local Ramsau am Dachstein then... doh!!

Yes...sorry! Smile thanks though!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
alex_heney wrote:
You will find that Zell am Ziller and Kaltenbach will be much better than the Penken area if you want space and reasonably quiet pistes.

From where you are. either of those will be as quick to get to as Penken. Kaltenbach is further on the train, but the gondolas are about 250m walk from the station, while both Zelll am Ziller and either the Penken or Horbergbahn gondloas for Penke require a bus after you get off the train.

If you can get a bus direct to the Horbergbahn, that will be quicker.

Thats great to know about the lift passes, I have noticed we are sat in the middle of the two places but think whats' been confusing is looking at piste map when on crystal post-booking it's only shown the mayrhofen/penken side but not the zell am zillertal side so course when everyone has been highly recommending it, Ive been thrown as to whether we were able to ski there or not. R.E bus to horbergbahn we have a bus supposedly outside hotel going there so that should be the fastest route it seems. Is it possible then to ski across from the top of that gondola to Zell?

I have to say I dislike it being extremely busy as does nothing for my confidence being at the level I am at the mo (as does everybody I guess) so sound of quieter pistes is appealing. Just hoping we haven't shot ourselves in the foot by having to do loads of travelling about but hey it's all in the experience, so hope will be worth it! And from what I have gleaned about the area everybodypretty much seems to have to do some travelling as a miminum anyway at least in getting up the gondolas so us getting buses or a a train is just the compromise for staying in a slightly more out of the way village it seems.

Any further suggestions about Ramsau itself or navigation to mayrhofen at night would be cool, likewise about the hotel if anyone has stayed?

flangesax thanks for restaurant suggestion!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There's a bus / train timetable here http://www.zillertalbahn.at/dataarchive/data47/fahrplan_2011_a3web.pdf

There's also a Mayrhofen / Ramsau bus, but the new schedule is not online yet, the current one is here www.zillertalbahn.at/dataarchive/data35/vvt8327.pdf

You might have some success hitching...

If you're on Horberg check out the Schneekarhutte
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FiFi_Trixibell, It's not possible to ski from Mayrhofen to Zell. Zell is completely separate on the other side of the Ziller valley. Links to the Zell website and piste map http://www.zillertalarena.at/en/arena/winter/start_winter.html http://ski3.intermaps.com/zillertal/index.asp?chn=zoom3&Aktuell=Lifte&lang=en

In the Mayrhofen Ski Area, if you go up the Horberg gondola, there is a chairlift from there that will take you to the top of the Penken. Though, I reckon unless you have to go to the Penken for lessons or whatever, then for an early intermediate skier, the Horberg side is better. Blue 7a (on the piste map confusingly called Penken) from the top of Horberg is great, as is Red 7. Also, take the 150er Tux up towards Rastkogel, there are some nice cruisy intermediate pistes up there too. If you don't fancy skiing back take the cable car down again though... The alternative is Red 16 which is often bumpy.
Mayrhofen piste map here (though it sounds like you've already found it!) http://ski3.intermaps.com/zillertal/index.asp?chn=zoom4

Christa's Skialm at the top of Finkenberger Almbahn II (this is the gondola that comes up from Finkenberg) does great roast chickens for lunch - go early though, it's often busy!

At the bottom of the Horberg are a couple of apres ski bars, both with all the usual apres ski music, schnapps and dancing on tables in ski boots. The last train from Mayrhofen towards Ramsau is at about 1930... And then of course there are always taxis willing to drive you to wherever you want to go!

Gerlossteinwand is the ski area above Ramsau. There is a single person chair going up out of Ramsau village. At the top of that is a small ski area, usually very quiet. There are a couple of two person chairs, a couple of T-bars and that's about it. I like it a lot, though it's not the place to go if you like miles of motorway groomers.

Your lift pass gives you free access to the trains (except the steam train) and buses in Zillertal. Some people like to travel and visit somewhere new every day, others prefer to stay in one area. If the bus that stops outside your hotel only goes to Horberg, then you'll find enough skiing to keep you occupied for a week. If the bus also goes to other areas, then you might find it interesting to explore a bit.
Whatever you end up doing, I hope you have a great time. Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FiFi_Trixibell, You'll find Gerlossteinwand on the Zell am Ziller piste map.
And... If you decide to visit Christa's Skialm for lunch, it's worth going up the Nordhang chairlift to get to it. The chairlift goes over the Harakiri, allegedly the steepest pisted ski slope in Austria. Riding the chairlift you can watch people sliding down it Toofy Grin
latest report
Sara thanks so much that is all really helpful. I do think we will spend quite a bit of time around the central areas on the piste map (you are correct we have already started studying it!) as we haven't been here before and so I anticipate we wont explore massively unless we find we get frustrated with the crowds. However, I think going on recommendations once we move on from penken area we'll likely stick around rastkogel and eggalm side of things as this I have heard is best for the intermediate runs but away from the major bustle.

- Hot chickens sound amazing, will definitely investigate that if I can!!!

- Glad you mentioned about Gerlossteinwand as someone else has already said its a nice quiet area albeit small but may be good for me to wake up my ski legs a bit in the morning and wait for the gondola queues to die down!

- We will see how it goes on the Apres ski - I certainly want to see what's going on as loads of places sound amazing. I reckon we will get in a few gluweins and my fave, the chocolate with various alcohols as soon as we get off the slopes rather than straight back to hotel so don't think last trains/buses back would be a problem. This 1st holiday is the one where we are really hoping to concentrate on the skiing itself so am anticipating early starts and up the mountain for first gondolas. (Hopefully) our second holiday with a group of us will be the one I expect to be doing a lot more of the partying though where this will be is undecided as yet!!!

Have seen some vids on Youtube of the piste as viewed from the chair - don't think they do the gradient any justice though until you see a shot of it from a distance away. Will be a few years I anticipate before I ever dream of having the desire or inclination to throw myself down something like that!!! :S (although I can certainly see how amazing it must feel hairing down it if you're able enough!

Also just to say cheers again everyone for responses so far. Smile Really cool all round - having asked similar questions previous years for other resorts I always find it great to start with a bit of an advantage knowing what's what to prevent wasting too much time flapping about, umming and ahhing on the first day!
snow conditions
I meant to say previously when I was in Mayrhofen a couple of weeks ago we stayed in Apart-Garni Innerwiesn. 5 minute walk into the centre, modern, spacious comfortable rooms, en suite, good breakfast and nice folks. 3 of us sharing a big room, £20 a night b and b. Great value and highly recommended by ME!
Sorry if slightly off topic.

As for apres you will have to take in Scotland Yard. Decent place. I was chatting to the rather attractive owner for ages whilst she took the p*** totally.
snow conditions
what dates are you in mayrhofen . im there 15 jan. this will be my 4 time and my mates7th i think. on the first sunny day get up to the hintertux. fantastic. Little Angel
snow conditions
15th Jan also tim000! Hoping should be relatively quiet as Austrians literally will have just gone back to work/school etc.

Which company did you book through and are you staying in main resort? I can't wait! Very Happy
snow report
Been to Mayrhofen and the surrounding area several times. There are always plenty of taxis about if you need to get back to the hotel after the train has stopped! If you do end up in Mayrhofen at the end of the day and decide to stay for the evening you can leave your skis and boots overnight in the ski depot underneath the gondola station for a few euros (assuming you've packed other footwear in your backpack of course!). Probably worth ending up there at least once to experience the post-ski utter mayhem of the Ice Bar outside the Gondola....quite and romantic it aint! Smile

To be honest there is a lot spoken about the queues at the Penken gondola station but I'vbe never had a major wait. Perhaps I've been lucky but it's not as bad as people make out.
snow report
Quote:

as we haven't been here before and so I anticipate we wont explore massively

But isn't that all the more reason to explore?

Go for it FiFi_Trixibell, It would be good to ski a different area each day - 6 ski holidays in one!! Very Happy
snow report
awksquawk, agree. had much much longer waits at numerous other resorts (Wengen, Campitello, ...). But Penken had a bad reputation and it was printed in Which? ski guide so it'll never shake off that reputation even if they stick in another lift (Like Zell am Ziller just did).
Strange that you never hear complaints about the Penken+Ahornbahn lifts being the opposite end of town from the station and main bus stops, and you never hear the same complaint about Zell am Ziller station and gondola also being a bus ride apart.
Since FiFi_Trixibell is outside Mayrhofen, and it seems a bus goes there, Horberg makes more sense for the Mayrhofen area. And if a bus goes direct to Zilltertal Arena, then I recommend that too.
ski holidays
Bergmeister wrote:
Quote:

as we haven't been here before and so I anticipate we wont explore massively

But isn't that all the more reason to explore?

Go for it FiFi_Trixibell, It would be good to ski a different area each day - 6 ski holidays in one!! Very Happy

Tis very very true!! It isn't that I'm not open minded or anything like that, Just going on the trends of our previous holidays it seems once we've skiied approx 2-3 days in resort that's only really when we start heading out to other places but of course we are aiming to ski as much as possible. Skiing Italy last year, we literally only skiied Sauze D'Oulx and managed to start heading out around sansicario and didn't get much further than the top half of that area either.

I would really like to kick it up a notch this year and get in some mileage as I think this will be my year for improved confidence - just have a feeling about it! (came home from last holiday so much improved and more confident and now have more of my own gear which I love!) so want to make the most of that and explore as much as I can.

I think the style of resort should hopefully suit me as I feel best on big wide open pistes rather than smaller tree lined areas and skinny runs - has something to do with a confidence bashing fall on my first holiday which I have irrationally never properly shaken off!

andy wrote:
awksquawk, agree. had much much longer waits at numerous other resorts (Wengen, Campitello, ...). But Penken had a bad reputation and it was printed in Which? ski guide so it'll never shake off that reputation even if they stick in another lift (Like Zell am Ziller just did).

Yep It's all I keep hearing about is the lift queues! The summary of travel when looking at distance from piste/lift etc on the crystal summary is that the bus heads to the horberg gondola so unless we specifically decide to start elsewhere on a day we will prob automatically be heading for that way up. TBH it doesn't surprise me in the slightest there are going to be queues in this sort of resort anyway. People don't just expect to levitate up the mountain do they?!
snow conditions
awksquawk wrote:
...queues at the Penken gondola station but I'vbe never had a major wait. Perhaps I've been lucky but it's not as bad as people make out.

I'd agree with this, I don't think I've ever waited more than 10 minutes and usually less than that. Though we've never been for the Easter school holidays.
snow report
I have ONLY been in the Easter school holidays and have never had a queue at all!

Great resort

snowHead
snow report
If not then, I don't know when.
latest report
Thanks for all the useful information on here - and thanks to Fifi for asking! I wonder if anyone can tell me what Ramsau itself is like? Booked what I thought was a B&B in Mayrhofen over New Year and now discovered it's actually in Ramsau. Is there anywhere to eat / drink in Ramsau or will we end up trailing to Mayrhofen every evening? Not looking for mad nights out really but somewhere with a bit of life for New Year's Eve at least would be good Very Happy

Thanks
Annie
snow conditions
Ramsau is connected to Schwendau and Hippach, between the three of them there are some of the nicest Restaurants (much nicer than Mayrhofen), for a local tip, try Mountain and Sould, oriental/european fusion type eating, a few average bars and one club, New years might be ok but Mayrhofen is great fun, i would recommend a taxi for that night (take care in the streets, people fire fireworks from their hands into the street it can get a little silly).

Best thing about Ramsau is, it is also near Zell am ziller, which is covered on the same lift pass as mayrhofen and is bigger, just jump on the train. happy to help out if you have any other questions, living there now so hopefully will be able to help.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Brilliant, thanks dulcamara. That's put my mind at ease. Sounds like we'll only need to head into Mayrhofen if we choose to for a change of scene. From all the comments above the location for access to the ski areas sounds perfect.
ski holidays
AnnieH wrote:
Brilliant, thanks dulcamara. That's put my mind at ease. Sounds like we'll only need to head into Mayrhofen if we choose to for a change of scene. From all the comments above the location for access to the ski areas sounds perfect.

Yep all sounds good to us too! Me and OH weren't too worried but thinking we were on the very edge of mayrhofen turning out to be a few KMs outside wasn't quite what we were expecting! Still, really looking forward to it and have been planning where to ski based on hints from other people. The ski area in Ramsau looks like it could be interesting and seems like a bit of an unmentioned place but there are a few runs that could keep us occupied. Also looking forward to skiing Zell which I have heard is fantastic too.

Hoping Ramsau will be nice. Have really struggled to find out anything about it and still dont know anything about our hotel but TBH we're easy going so I'm sure it will be fine! Smile
snow conditions
Thanks for the detailed information. Have been thinking about this area - this may well tip the balance.
snow report
FiFi_Trixibell wrote:
15th Jan also tim000! Hoping should be relatively quiet as Austrians literally will have just gone back to work/school etc.

Which company did you book through and are you staying in main resort? I can't wait! Very Happy

mayrhofen , quiet . Shocked we booked with neilson and are staying at the obermier. stayed there a few years ago. handy for the trains and has a sauna/steam room/ pool.
latest report
Haha, see you guys on your welcome evening, just found out i have to do the skischool welcome speeches for neilson... lucky me
ski holidays
dulcamara wrote:
Haha, see you guys on your welcome evening, just found out i have to do the skischool welcome speeches for neilson... lucky me

sorry, never do the welcome meetings unless we have to pick up the lift passes . then we just turn up at the end. rolling eyes
only 2 weeks to go now . hope theres loads of snow.
snow report
looked a bit grim there yesterday. did they get much snow? fingers crossed eagerly awaiting replies. rolling eyes
latest report
33 hours unttil our departure for Gatwick and holiday begins! Very excited!

Keeping eye on the snow though d skiclub informes me it last snowed on 10/1/11. Seems to have been raining and making things a little slushy Sad Been too bloody warm it seems! Anybody out there or just come back that can update properly?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy