Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Davos ski areas closing(?!)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
At Easter I visited Davos where I used to live and work. To my amazement I was reliably told that not only is the Strela ski area now permanently closed, but that there are rumours in town that both the Rinerhorn and Pischa ski areas are scheduled for closure.

Rinerhorn was my favourite area when I lived there, it is certainly a 'sign of the times' if a major resort starts closing lifts and, even worse, whole areas. Sad

Has any one more information?

Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From time to time there are reports that a large proportion of Swiss cablecar/ski lift companies are operating at a loss. Maybe if Davos put more effort into presenting itself as a ski resort, rather than a venue for corporate and political schmoozing, it would sell more liftpasses!

I also found the environment of the place a bit stuffy and lacking in informality, when I went there (that was a while ago, eh Colin?!). I'm not saying that Davos should turn into Sauze d'Oulx, but it could have more of a holiday feel.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I love Davos. David Goldsmith, you say 'stuffy' I say 'classy'. If it is good enough for World Economic Forum freeloaders every year, you know the hotels will be of a good standard. It is a sizeable town rather than a small ski resort. I welcome the fact that is not a big name on the package holiday market .

Strela closure was a blow. I always thought it could link in to Parsenn nicely. It was a closer lift up the main mountain than the Parsenn funicular if you were based in Platz. There is a hotel up there which must seem a bit isolated now.

Rinerhorn was a train journey away, but it was nice to have another option. Pischa and Madrisa I did not use much.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I thought Schatzalp was reopening? There are plans for a huge tower block on the site.

http://snownews.blogspot.com/2004/11/tower-block-planned-for-davos.html
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's years since I skied in Davos (about 30), so I'm totally out of date, and don't remember any of the piste/area names, but I do remember that I really enjoyed the ski-ing there. However, if the town feels their future lies in the conference direction, it will almost certainly not attract many skiers. Those bods in the WEF are seriously rich (and anyway don't pay for themselves) - and there's always St Moritz for the rich to play in.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I went to Davos In Feb/March this year with a group of friends, and we all had a great time. There's so much different skiing to be had. A friend was told by a ski guide that the Pischa area was closing, but didn't mention the Rinerhorn closing.

The Pischa area is all drag-lifts (apart from the main cable-car) and isn't very popular. We spent a day there playing in the powder with only a few other people. Everyone else was over in the Parsenne fighting for the powder. I can't see how an area like Pischa could be profitable with so few people at the height of the season.

We also spent a day in the Rinerhorn. If I remember correctly, this area was very popular, especially with tobogganers.

It would be a shame if they closed the Pischa area. It's great as an alternative to Parsenne for a day or two. But there's probably too much competition in Davos for it to survive.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pischa has a lot of excellent lift-served off-piste so it will be a real loss.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy