Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ray Mears - What bindings did he use?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ray Mears, on his BBC2 Thursday 12 May Bushcraft program, made some skis and showed them in use. I did not notice any details of the bindings he used. They allowed some amount of heel lift and it looked as if he as using standard walking boots for the snow and cold.

Any thoughts on his bindings?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
some variant on telemark cable bindings I'd guess without having seen the program.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
He probably made them out of grass, twigs and well chewed reindeer dung rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Adrian, did the bindings look anything like this?

Just in case you haven't the time, or Masque won't share any of his 'construction materials', mountaineering bindings such as a Pika Sastrugi ought provide the proper degree of primitivist limb risk.

Good luck?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you comprex, great page about wooden skis. I did not see Ray's bindings at all clearly, the skis were only shown in use where the skis sank to ankle depth in the soft snow. The only shot I recall that showed anything of the bindings had Ray skiing away from the camera and then you could see his boot heels lifting. I did not tape the TV program so I cannot study it in detail.

As to my own limbs and my own skis, I have some Damir Fritchis. My limbs and my whole body feels very vunerable when I go downhill with skins on and heels loose. But without skins and with the heels locked down the bindings are fine. I have had a few falls with them on: when trying to ski across avalanche debris in April I managed a park and fly with (from?) both skis.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
comprex, Have you ever watched any of his films? The guy takes 'living off the land' to an amazing level and seems to be able to make anything he needs from what's at hand. Very instructional. Little Angel
I've never freeheeled or toured but it's something I'd like to experience when my baseline ski skills are at a higher level.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Masque, I believe he eats three square meals a day plus whatever he manages to scavenge!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think they were very primitive hand made devices that strap the toe onto the ski but allow you to use normal walking boots, just like the very first original skis
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
He's compulsory viewing in our house. The dog-sledding brought back memories of our trip to Banff, when we went up to Spray Lakes for the day sledding. It was the only thing we do on holiday that was worth missing the skiing for.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy