Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French Snow and Avalanche Report

Poster: A snowHead
Here is a snow and avalanche report covering the week to 14th of March for off-piste areas in the French Alps.

It is summary of my own observations and reports from the French weather service.

I'm off to Cham now taking some French examinations which will let me teach level 1 avalanche courses... pressure is on although it should be 'fingers in the nose' as the French say.

If you get the Observer on Sunday there is an article about the popular Chamonix guide Alain Géloen whom I'm sure some of you know. He was killed on the 24th of February while telemarking on the Italian side of Mt Blanc. He leaves a family behind.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
R.I.P Alain. Thoughts and prayers go to his family
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Likewise. And best of luck for those exams David.... if you succeed does this mean you'll be escaping the smog and coming back to live this neck of the woods? Look forward to hearing how you got on on your return.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can't find the recent article David refers to on Alain's death (anyone else find it on line?), but there's a fascinating article on the perils of ski-touring, along the Haute Route (Chamonix to Zermatt), a trek with Alain Geloen himself as guide .....

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/travel/story/0,6903,1120319,00.html
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Read that article a few months back PG - ski touring is now my ultimate aim - few more seasons to learn technique and how to ski off piste and powder - then I'm going to have a go...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It certainly makes it cristal clear just how much physical preparation is as important as anything else!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That follow-up article on Alain Géloen's death is in today's Observer, with comments by fellow snowHead David George of www.pistehors.com .

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/travel/story/0,6903,1168341,00.html
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PG wrote:
with comments by fellow snowHead David George of www.pistehors.com

A very junior and recent snowhead I would have to add.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
But not so junior in terms of mountain savvy, which is perhaps slightly more important!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof wrote:
A very junior and recent snowhead I would have to add.

But a welcome one, all the same snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Welcome aboard, David - your site is very informative and well written.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Very sad indeed.

David, I agree with Joseph - your site is ecxellent; thanks.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm sorry if this is a dim question, but I'm off on Friday for the weekend to Morzine/Avoriaz and their avalanche rating is 'considerable risk'. I don't go off piste and am only an intermediate skier. Do avalanches only apply off piste and are you safe if you stick to pistes?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There's never 100% guaranteed safety in a mountain environment, but deaths from avalanches on piste are extremely rare, special care being taken to ensure the stability of the slopes either side of runs. If there is considered to be a risk, the pistes are closed until the avalanche has been triggered artificially.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank you PG. In Zermatt in January I saw a couple of skiers duck under some tape across the start of one piste which had been closed due to too much snow. Sorry, but I can't see how it's worth it. Confused
latest report
Beverley, The 'buzz'. Something you gradually lose with age and the arrival of kids (if you live that long!)
ski holidays
Beverley, I'd have to agree with PG. You have to do things with your life to make you feel you're living it. Twisted Evil
latest report
marc gledhill, Surviving does help though..... Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy