Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Year 2005

Poster: A snowHead
Please help, I am trying to find accomodation in any relatively snow sure resort (Europe) which has slopes that would be ok for both beginners and intermediates for four nights over the new year period. Ideally 29/12/05 to 2/1/06.
Either an apartment, chalet or hotel. We would even pay for a whole week if it covered this period!!

Anybody got any ideas.

Many thanks
Begsski
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have an apartment in Les Arcs which will be available from 30th December. Follow the link in my signature below.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rob, what would be the cost.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 13-05-05 8:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
begsski, welcome to snowHead snowHeads! snowHead Best not to put email addresses in the forum - you'll be spammed sooner or later. Rob can PM you via your profile, or email you from the same place if you gave permission for your email address to be used.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
begsski, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
begsski,

Welcome to snowheads.

PG runs a couple of flats in Boug St Maurice at the centre point of Tarentaise valley. It is within a few minutes walk to Les Arcs funicular. I spent my last Christmas/new years there. It was the best deal I had. Highly recommend. If there is snow in France this Christmas Tarentaise will have it. Nowhere on earth you can find 1600km of piste within an hour drive. Boug St Maurice is the centre of this massive skiing play ground. Val D, Tignes, Les Arc, 3 Vallees all have 3000m+ altitude so it is as good as you can get.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
saikee wrote:
Nowhere on earth you can find 1600km of piste within an hour drive. Boug St Maurice is the centre of this massive skiing play ground.

It's good but not that unique. There's plenty of places you could say that of, my house being one at random.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think the figure of 1hr and 1600km would depend on how fast the car, and how clear the roads.
ise, Whilst sitting in my office in sunny Teesside (well it is this morning) looking out over the smoke stacks of the industrial North, I always find the little reminders of your new homeland uplifting to say the least. wink

(note to self: Start rumour that WMD have being stockpiled by the Swiss under their big hills)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman, there's loads of places that meet that criteria. Anywhere near the Pds, anywhere near the SuperDolomitti area, probably Innsbruck and Bregenz, I'd think Sallanches or Annemasse would do it as well, and the list goes on and on.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman, the total ski area in the Haute Tarentaise valley is at least 1600 kms, and that's a figure that was banded about before the Paradski link opened, all of which is within an hours drive of any of the resorts there. No particularly fast car needed as the furthest resort Tignes is only 33 kms from BSM. However, on a Saturday in peak season it can take a long time, it can take over an hour just to get through BSM.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Actually, more to the point, who cares anyway? We shouldn't measure skiing by volume anyway, it's a bit sad.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David@traxvax, lot of work going on in the valley now, looks a bit of a mess between Moutiers and Aime with the development of the new voie rapide. Don't know what the plans are for Aime to Moutiers, but I think some sort of bypass is in the pipeline for BSM at least. All in time for the World Championships in Val no doubt.

In the meantime the back road to Aime is ok even during peak season Saturdays, but then it takes an age to get into and through Aime of course.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ise, I think manyof us would agree that piste kilometreage (?) it is not important. Most skiers I know would be quite happy to spend 6 consecutive days at a resort with 100km of skiing providing that the snow was good and the terrain suited our needs. I would happily ski 1 interesting piste for half a day if it met theses criteria. Ski each run using a diferent path or practising a certain thing, hey its skiing isnt it, otherwise why would we use xscape etc.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ise, surely that depends on how quickly you can ski the available piste klicks - there has to be a limit to how much anyone can do in a week? Mind you, then there's the off-piste, the repeat runs in different conditions.... <sigh> hell, I pay £20 to continually go up and down a 200m slope for an hour... If it weren't for the fact that I couldn't get a well-paid job and my wife doesn't speak French, I'd be living down in BSM myself in a flash...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

If it weren't for the fact that I couldn't get a well-paid job and my wife doesn't speak French, I'd be living down in BSM myself in a flash
Now doesnt that ring a bell Laughing Laughing snowHead
ski holidays
TallTone wrote:
ise, surely that depends on how quickly you can ski the available piste klicks - there has to be a limit to how much anyone can do in a week? Mind you, then there's the off-piste, the repeat runs in different conditions.... <sigh> hell, I pay £20 to continually go up and down a 200m slope for an hour... If it weren't for the fact that I couldn't get a well-paid job and my wife doesn't speak French, I'd be living down in BSM myself in a flash...

Measuring skiing by how many km there are and how quick you can ski it is horribly sad. It's package tour punter nonsense at it's peak and deeply depressing.

The people you're with, how well you're skiing or the mountains around you, they're all good ways to measure skiing.
ski holidays
Quote:

The people you're with, how well you're skiing or the mountains around you, they're all good ways to measure skiing.
ise, The out of season blues were not to bad until you said this Crying or Very sad
latest report
PG wrote:
David@traxvax, lot of work going on in the valley now, looks a bit of a mess between Moutiers and Aime with the development of the new voie rapide. Don't know what the plans are for Aime to Moutiers, but I think some sort of bypass is in the pipeline for BSM at least. All in time for the World Championships in Val no doubt.

In the meantime the back road to Aime is ok even during peak season Saturdays, but then it takes an age to get into and through Aime of course.

Avoid saturdays at all costs is my motto! I've had some deeply unpleasant traffic jams, once from Albertville through to Courchevel. More and more tour ops are doing Sunday transfers, and making independent arrangements will sometimes allow you to travel on days other than Saturday.
snow report
Surely presence of snow under skis is the best way to measure skiing! Toofy Grin ise, quite agree with you. Just suffering the out-of-season blues really (thank the Lord for snowHead eh, Frosty?)
latest report
PG wrote:
I think some sort of bypass is in the pipeline for BSM

Where the hell are they gping to put it? BSM is n a valley and goes from one side of it tothe other. How the hell are they going to getr round it? Tunnel through?!?!?
snow conditions
nbt wrote:
PG wrote:
I think some sort of bypass is in the pipeline for BSM

Where the hell are they gping to put it? BSM is n a valley and goes from one side of it tothe other. How the hell are they going to getr round it? Tunnel through?!?!?

Presumably on the other side of the river to the twon centre?
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk, yes - the work is scheduled to begin this year, the BSM/Seez bypass will be located on the other side of the river.
ski holidays
PG, Seez as well ? So, presumably somewhere after Aime is the start and it rejoins after Seez? That's going to improve your life hugely I'd think.
latest report
PG wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, yes - the work is scheduled to begin this year, the BSM/Seez bypass will be located on the other side of the river.

How long until completion? This will make a big difference to driving to and through BSM.
snow report
ise, The ring-road starts somewhere close to the westerly BSM delimit sign - it's a separate development to the RN90 Aime / Moutiers section, which is well under way.

Pros and cons though - threat of sidelining BSM - Aime businesses complain this happened to them. Plus the very attractive north side of the river, with its walkways and cycle path will lose most of its charm and some of its facilities.
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk, I've heard 2008 mentioned.
snow conditions
PG, Is it going to go over or under the funicular? Or is everyone on foot to the station have to negotiate an underpass or bridge?
It sounds like there’ll a lot of disruption whilst all this is going on.
ski holidays
Although the title was one year out we are still talking Christmas and New year time.

As a matter of record I was in Portes du Soleil for 3 days before moving to Bourg last Christmas. The traffic wasn't that bad at this time of the year. Have to agree though the changing over day is a must to avoid. On any other day I would have a job to find a car to overtake.

The total mileage of the piste may be irrelevant but nearly all of us would like to ski different places at different time. For that a car user Bourg st Maurice has a better scope for visiting big resorts than PDS or Dolomites.

Veteran skiers know where to go to avoid crowd and pick nice less-known resorts to enjoy a day or two but newer skiers haven't seen all the big resorts do want to experience the big names and the associated facilities and infrastructure. There is nothing wrong to be dragged along by the surface lifts in a small place in PDS but jumping between massive number of godolas and chairlifts in a big and concentrated resort like Paradiski can be very relaxing too.

I did it last year exactly what begsski wants to achieve, trying to find snow sure resorts. I had more than 2 weeks in my case and went to different resort every day. I wasn't trying to cover distance at all. It was a very enjoyable experience for me just to be able to see so many famous resorts and sample their characteristic in a trip, even though I have visited all of them at one time or another before.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque, there's a pdf doc map here, on page 22 of the 34, which seems to show it going under the funicular but well beyond the funicular station - virtually alongside the river - so it won't affect people coming on foot from town.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy