Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Belgian ski areas attract record numbers

Poster: A snowHead
Belgium's ski slopes have just enjoyed a boom weekend, according to reports from five of the country's facilities. Resorts in Elsenborn, Mont-Rigi, Baraque Michel and the Nature Centre at Botrange reported record numbers of skiers from Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands...

This report from Expatica.
---------------------
Belgian snow and extreme skiing reports welcome.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
haha without wanting to out myself within an inch of my life - I live in Botrange and I couldn't move at the weekend for b*ggery people walking in the middle of the road with skis slung over their shoulders... why oh why when there are beautiful trails/paths/woods are people in the middle of the road? grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Where were they going, in the middle of Belgian roads, with skis on their shoulders? This sounds very odd!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You tell me - I was just trying to drive to the stables to see my horse and these *idiots* were in the middle of the road. I don't get it myself - it's not very British is it? driving to the countryside and walking on the road and not the footpath! wink It was actually exceptionally busy on Sunday although the snow was better on Saturday. They were parking a kilometre in each direction of the ski places, there's only one downhill place directly in the neighbourhood but as I usually ski Louise I just don't think it's going to cut it - there you go, I'm a snob! Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We always joked that the ideal ski resort would be in Belgium. But we always imagined it would be sitting around in a bar drinking that wonderful Belgian Beer and perhaps looking at the snow. Didn't think you could actually ski there now without moving the Alps north.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I know Belgium has a reputation for being flat, but I live at 2000 feet so we get quite a bit of snow. OK, as far as skiing goes it's NOT the alps, but there's tons of Nordic and the Alpine looks fun for an afternoon and if we get more snow I might pop over after work (10 minute walk with skis on shoulder wink) just to test my snow legs as I'm not going on a proper ski hol this year. Sad Plus the alpine is 1.50 euro a pop on the chairlift so if you only want to go 5 times it's a great bargain!

As for the drinking Belgian beer... believe me, the bars in all of these centres are far superior to their ski hire shops! Little Angel
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

but I live at 2000 feet

Good grief! That's almost Himalayan compared to my local mountain (Hampstead Heath, 400ft).

It's time we had some photos of Belgian skiing! Alexandra, what's the set-up with your local ski areas - what kind of ski lifts do they have, and how many weeks in a winter is there usually skiable snow on the ground?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This is my first winter in this part of Belgium and I think it's probably a bit more like Scottish skiing in that if it's a good day you take it off work, you can't book in advance! The pistes were open for a week or so in November. The snow is all but melted now, I only have a few inches left but we're due more at the beginning of next week. Here's the website for the place over the road to me, sorry no english page and I thought you'd cope better with French than Dutch or German.

http://www.skialpin-ovifat.com/homefr.html
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
it seems that the smaller and more regional the ski station the more bizarre the organisation of the web site. I clicked on the red piste button to be told it boards and monoskis are banned but experimental skiers were allowed. Very surreal - approp for Begium I guess!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There are some thumbnails of the pistes if you click on the various piste buttons.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The thing about Belgian skiing is that you have to just gauffre it.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skanky, brill. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing We do tend to waffle a bit. wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kuwait_ian, live Leffe to the full! wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any famous Belgian skiers?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There aren't 10 famous belgians in total, one of them is a cartoon character and another is a fictious detective.
snow report
Oh what about famous Belgian vegetables then?
ski holidays
Where did that sprout from?
snow report
A quick google reveals no less than 259 famous Belgians!!!!!

And these were at the top of the list!!!

Luc Vandevelde, Chairman of Marks and Spencer - hhmmmmm
Bernard Van Hool, founder of international coachbuilder Van Hool NV quite appropriate having the name Van if you're a coachbuilder!
Edward de Smedt, chemist and inventor of modern-day road asphalt
Raymond Ceulemans, 17 times world champion in billiards
Adolphe Quetelet, mathematician and inventor of the Body Mass Index so this is the culprit Evil or Very Mad
Toots Thielemans, world famous Jazz musician
Helmut Lotti, international pop singer
The Singing Nun, famous for her US No 1 hit "Dominique"

Oh and let's not forget the Manekin Pis in Bruge in case anyone was thinking of taking it Laughing
latest report
Mark Hunter wrote:
Oh and let's not forget the Manekin Pis in Bruge in case anyone was thinking of taking it Laughing

I think you'll find that's in Brussels Mark, unless I've always been too acquainted the Brugge beer to notice. wink
snow report
Eddy Merckx.
ski holidays
Could we put him on a ski bike?
latest report
mark, if they're the famous ones, who are the others?
ski holidays
tsk! Know your fashion boys - famous Belgians include Audrey Hepburn, Liz Claibourne and Dries Van Noten! Toofy Grin

How could you possibly forget the muscles from Brussels (actually from a very shitty run-down village in Wallonia) - Jean-Claude van Damme! tada!

"Popstars"- B52s, K3, Hooverphonics

Sport - Kim Klijsters, Justine Henin-Ardenne
snow conditions
Quote:
"Popstars"- B52s, K3, Hooverphonics

and dEUS and Djangho Rheinhardt...Plastic Bertrand or whatever his name was.

Benoite Poelvoerde (spelling is definitely wrong) of Man Bites Dog fame.

Wasn't one the really famous "French" singers Belgian? Can't remember which one.
Was Hergé Belgian, or was he French but wrote about a Belgian?

Also Jacky Ickx, Thierry Boutson, Bosman, Jean-Marie Pfaff, Jan Ceulemans.

Mercator the cartographer, one Belgian had something to do with inventing the internal combustion engine and the telegraph, too..Len-something.

There were also three King Leopolds (I think), at least one of whom is well known (for the wrong reasons) in central Africa.

Magritte, Rubens and Hieronymus Bosch.
latest report
skanky, you've left out Aldo Sax, inventor of the saxophone.
latest report
David@traxvax, Shocked
ski holidays
If anyone's in the area there is a HUGE amount of snow here right now - grrr having to shovel tons of the stuff just to get my car anywhere near the drive Evil or Very Mad . Anyway conditions for skiiers are fab, tons of fluffy white powder and the hills are empty right now because most people are working... however I feel a sicky coming on for tomorrow... snowHead
ski holidays
[quote="skanky"]
Quote:
Wasn't one the really famous "French" singers Belgian? Can't remember which one

Jacques Brel?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PG, possibly - thought it was even more well known that him.

Incidentally, the Belgian ski resorts could have some more record numbers soon. snowHead
snow conditions
OK, it's just taken me 2 hours to drive from Brussels... this is the heaviest snow I've ever seen and I usually go to Canada for the winter! Very Happy

It's knocking on 1m now which is more than many canadian resorts have had in the last 6 weeks... but a word of warning, it's going to get worse, so anyone doing the northern France, Luxembourg, Germany route this week, be warned! Confused
snow report
About the Belgian ski resorts:

If you want to have information about the Belgian ski resorts, you can look at the following websides:

General websides:

http://www.eastbelgium.com/fr/indexfr.html (in french, german and dutch, with some pictures) (see "loisirs actifs" then "hiver" (winter). (snow reports and information about resorts)

http://www.catpw.be/FR/ski.htm (in french and dutch, snow reports by resorts)

http://www.ftlb.be/EN/sport_loisirs/ski.php (In english but only information about the resorts of the Belgian Luxemburg)

Ski slopes websides:

Baraque Fraiture; http://users.skynet.be/baraque.fraiture.ski/ (french anbd Dutch)
Piste du Mont des Brumes; http://home.tiscali.be/lder2510/mdb/ (french)
Val de Wanne : http://www.puzzleplanet.be/eng/index.htm (in english with web-cam!!)
FRANCORCHAMPS/HOCKAI: http://www.etoile-des-neiges.be/

See you soon on the Belgian ski slopes

Christian

(Sorry for my poor english!)
ski holidays
Chris of Baulers, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow report
Michelle,

Very Happy Blush Madeye-Smiley Thank you
snow report
hello Chris, nice to see another one of us out here. We had about another 10-15cm snow last night up here at the baraque michel. People have been skiing past the front of my house. I'm ashamed to say that I still haven't made it over the road to Ovifat and I really must make teh effort but it looks as thought the snow will last at least another week or two. Very Happy
ski holidays
Oh help! Two Belgians! (welcome Chris of Baulers and Alexandra) And I've just said some rather rude things about Belgium in another thread. If you happen to find my comments, I apologise for suggesting Belgium might be boring. It's not, is it?
latest report
I guess it depends who boring you find beer, chocolate and an easy joie de vivre! wink
snow conditions
And to revive this thread...

Baraque de Fraitures now has a fan page on Facebook. Someone's posted a video of them airboarding on the piste this weekend. Also some nice video of the piste in the day and night last year http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/group.php?gid=123716755401

Only an hour close to home that Raise and a longer piste....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy