Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

can you remember your first time...

Poster: A snowHead
for me it was all a bit wet and I had very little control...as for the skiing.

1981, scouts trip to Glenshee (I was 11) Leather boots and wooden skis that were miles bigger than me. thin waterproof trousers and wind breaker. lots of wollie jumpers and two pairs of socks. ski socks...never even heard of them.

bindings were of the type you find on snowblades, weird springy things and there were no brakes. had to use leashes. Best of all, as the day wore on, skis absorbed water and felt like that had been waxed with pritt stick Shocked

It's a wonder I am still alive to talk about it !!

happy days though Razz
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1971 age 3 snowHead I can't remember much from that time though I do have the odd recolection of skiing down the Wengen nursery slope, boots were leather with laces, Skis were bright red with cable bindings poles were red with yellow handgrips ..... Ahhh happy times snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't remember, I think it was 1971 for me too...at age 6...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was a late starter.....remember my first week vividly, all week on the nursery slope, last day ski instructor took me on a "proper" green run, scared me witless - had to be taken to the pub to recover! I was still so scared on my second week that I pretended to be a complete beginner and went back on the nursery slope for a week! Can't say I remember it fondly....now I'm just an addict!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
1959, Kitzbuhel, aged 6. Lucky to have a dad who was into skiing. Absolute magic to me at that age. A huge snowy playground, like a dream world. Leather lace-up boots (inner and outer laces for each boot), wooden skis. And very strict Austrian ski instructors who had you side-stepping for days before you sniffed a ski lift!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Andalo, Italy. 1977 was 12. Loved it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Late starter too, in 1986 at Glenshee spent most of the day on a slope by the car park learning to go in a straight line without falling over. Went down Sunnyside the next Saturday and was hooked. Spent most Saturdays that season at Glenshee - it was one of the few good ones!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Was in Sestriere and had gone down the Nursery slopes a few times and decided to be a little more adventurous and skiied? around the swimming pool only to find that it didn't take me back to the bottom lift but by then I was committed........................

Ended up, after half an hour on my back bottom, in a village not knowing where I was until one of the group started looking for me and found me in a bar having a drink feeling like Shacklton and looking like Kermit

Couldn't work out why the Piste map didn't have arrows to tell you which way was down!

Still can't really.

Still I found the Bar!

Happy days Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Very late starter - 2000, managed to scam a free corporate skiing holiday with my previous employer. Funny thing was I didn't even work for them when it was organised! I claimed it would be beneficial to me to "fit in" with my peers. HR bought it hook, line and sinker. Wicked few days learning to ski in Chamonix with private tuition 9-4, so definitely worth going!!

Had a few more of those jaunts before the bottom fell out of the M&A market...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dec 2003! Went to Val d'Isere with worst lessons ever I learnt more in 2 lessons on a dry slope than a week over there. But I'm stilll hooked and hoping to go again some day
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
11 - The Lecht
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Even less glam, plastic dry slope at Ploughcroft in Halifax.

Sunday morning, November, grey and drizzle, cold, windy, didn't want to go.

LOVED IT!

That would be around 1985/6 I think. Rear entry boots and long straight skiis.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
2000 - Cervinia aged 27.
Spent most of the first day in tears!!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
April 21st ? 1989 at Caringorm - it had snowed like crazy and everyone else could ski who I was with ( I had had a couple of dry slope lessons !) and I just had to keep up although I can remember crying on the run that goes down from the ptarmigan to the bottom bit of the cas !!!!!!!!! Also looked like Michelin man in borrowed sally's and jacket with my Pj's underneath Embarassed
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Late starter also. 1986 aged 32 in Arinsal. group of 6 first-timers, all did 6 hour course on dry slope before we went. Scottish instructor in Arinsal (Andy) had us all over the mountain by the third day - well and truly hooked. Once or two trips a season ever since.
ski holidays
1978. I was working in Toronto, and a bunch of workmates took me cross-country skiing. I had no idea of what to wear to spend all day outside at -10C.

"Wear plenty of layers" was the advice. I turned up at the lodge looking like Michelin man. After some basic tuition ("Slide your feet with walking motion. Now get up and do it again") I could go in a straight line.

Spent the morning going round the beginners' trails. Discovered that even at -10, if the sun was shining, cross-country skiing was VERY HARD WORK. Also that cotton vests and rugby shirts are non-wicking fabrics.

Spent the afternoon stripped down to a T-shirt with a sweater tied round my waist, doing the more advanced trails. By the end of the day I could do it all. (Except stopping. And turning. And going uphill).

That was my last experience on skis for some time (returned to the UK at the end of the year).

Fast-forward 20 years. Working across the pond again. (US, this time). Girlfriend drags me (kicking and screaming at the expense) to Montana for a week. Brilliant instruction. A day and a half's tuition on the bunny hill, followed by a lot of practice on an unfrequented gentle green slope sees me, by the end of the week, skiing parallel (sort of) down the blue runs - not with elegance, but in control.

Result: total addiction Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy . Never looked back. Off to Banff again in 10 days Very Happy
snow conditions
1991, aged 15 in Gstaad. Nice place to start an addiction! I spent the next 3 years pleading with my Dad to let me go on the next trip!

David Goldsmith: You will not be happy to know that I had to take a chair lift before I'd even skiied on snow to get to a mid station as there was no snow below that level. It wasn't pretty getting off I can tell you but I managed enough control (thanks to dry slope skiing) to avoid people. However, the remainder of the day was spent side stepping up the slope courtesey of our very strict Swiss instructor who drilled us. David, the side step is alive and well (at least it was 3 years ago) in the Ski Welt when my husband learnt. Two days on the nursery slopes, second day using the button lift, before setting foot on a gondola to mid station. The instructor was young too.
snow conditions
1997, age 27, la Thuile, with a bunch of Rugby and Hockey palyers... still got the hangover. Hooked though. Been at least once every year since.
Never work out how much you've spent on skiing BTW... Shocked
ski holidays
Sunday 7/9/1997 - Mount Hutt - New Zealand
Up at 6, after landing at Christchurch the night before - seeing a snow report of fresh snow at the check-in desk of the hostel and booked on a bus before we'd even paid for the room!
Sense of excitement driving to the mountains - then getting very nervous putting on the boots and skis, and finally feeling elated at snowploughing down the nursery slope.
Hooked forever now I think rolling eyes
snow conditions
Early nineties (date, not age!) in Sportinia, Sauze. Little old Italian instructor who had us on nursery slope for 3 days then said he would take us "up the mountain" next day where we would encounter a "little bit of a red run". Half the class didn't show for the rest of the week! I still hear him now, in my head, every skiing holiday. "Maggeeeee, don't turrrrn yourrrr shoulderrrrrrs!" rolling eyes
snow conditions
A bit of a late starter (at 40) in 1997 in Pas de la Casa with some workmates, after several dry slope sessions so could do basic parallel turns. A great place to learn ~ plenty wide open space as I remember. Loved to blurred blue / white / blue as I fell over, luckily no damage done. A great week with lots of sunshine, lessons in the mornings and out with the big boys in the afternoons. Loved every minute and hooked ever since.
snow conditions
Nubs Nob, Michigan, 1971, too! Red wooden Fischer skis, Cubco bindings, Raichle leather/plastic buckle boots. Ahhhhhh.....
latest report
ssh, there's a resort called Nubs Nob.

Where's Benny Hill when you need him?
snow report
marc gledhill, I said "Michigan." I don't know if I'd call anything there a "resort." It was certainly a simpler time when "Nub" named his small ski hill a "Nob". See their web site for the current version. Much larger than it was in 1971, but the owner (Dorrie) used to ski it at the age of 70 with her labs bounding behind her...
ski holidays
Febuary 1994 aged 14, in Aviemore with my school and I went there every year until I left school in 1996. The experience that got me truely hooked was the first time I went down the White Lady.

I still remember my first experience with T-Bars (shudders), then again I was useless on button lifts back then as well. Laughing
snow report
My friend said she quite enjoyed her first button lift experience!! Say no more Blush
ski holidays
this could suddenly turn into the best thread ever Wink
snow report
No more details I'm afraid andy b!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
december just gone in val d'isere, I still have the t-bar experience to look forward to though. Confused

The worst instruction ever though I went with students and the instructors couldnt be bothered to turn up on time and always finished early (I know it sounds unbelievable that it wasnt the students who were late), I learnt more at the dry ski slope in 2 lessons than I did in a week there. Never the less I'm hooked and intend to go again asap Razz
snow report
Crying or Very sad Laughing
ski holidays
All the women I go away with like button lifts too... rolling eyes
latest report
I remeber it well, Jan 2000 after 3 dry slope lessons they took me up a mountain and it took 5 hours to get down, never felt in so much pain Sad and tried to work out how I could get out of it the next day without losing face Embarassed Anway, had a soak in the bath and something to eat and a little something to help ease the pain, the next mrning I couldn't wait to get out there again Very Happy
Been hooked since and am planning trip no.8 for next week Laughing
snow report
December 1977 Cairgorm. On a pair of "Veilhamers" (I can't remember how to spell it) Skis made in Avimore - Who can remember them?
snow report
Just worked out the correct spelling - Vielhaber Skis - Took a bit of finding - Went Bust in 1984
snow report
MK Snowdome - December 2000 - a small, lurching, out of control little pile of skiers...

Westendorf - January 2001 - not much snow on the day we arrived but good snow falls over the next couple of days. I learn not to look at my skis whilst ski=ing by turning my attention to the instructors luxurious moustache!
snow conditions
1995 - Queenstown, New Zealand. We were students, no money - so had to live on super-noodles and stay in the local youth hostel. The worst thing I remember was skiing in jeans and a pac-a-mac. We were still completely hooked and have skiied every year since!
snow report
Maurach, Austria - '82. Went on the 6th Form ski trip because both the girls I fancied were going. Unfortunately they'd skied before and I was imprisoned away from them on the nursery slope for the week.
I'd always make sure I was the first of the group down so I could sneek back up the lift and be the last down too. It paid off: the following year I jumped a group to catch up!
snow conditions
1976 aged 4 at Aviemore - screamed most of the time apparently.. my parents after 2 seasons of this decided that Europe was the answer!

I too had little leather ski boot lined in fur - very comfortable.
snow report
2002 in Scheffau, Austria
definatley a late starter! Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
Nice to know there a some others with L-plates on!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy