Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Learning to ski/board

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've persuaded my family to ski with my son (14 and fearless) and me (40 something and fearful) next Xmas/New Year. My wife (no real interest, but begrudgingly 'giving it a go' to keep us company) and daughter (17, and not that enthusiastic) will come along. My wife is happy enough to join the beginners' ski class, and my daughter has said that she will either learn to board or ski, 'depending on which is easiest'. I hardly ski, and have never boarded, so I can't begin to answer this question. My thought is that she'll find boarding rather cooler than skiing. I'm sure many of you out there can advise which genre will be likely to show the most tangible progress after a week of lessons. Thoughts please! Thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
She will pick up boarding quicker, but may have a sore bum for a few days.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Most people who do both think boarding is far easier, but that's because they almost certainly skied first. And anyone who boarded first will tend to think skiing is far easier, just read some of the snowboard forums for proof! Modern skis make learning so much easier than it was, so I honestly don't know which is easier. I do both and skiing has become equally cool as boarding over the last few years due to wide skis with big sidecuts, twin tips etc.

Your wife & daughters lack of enthusiasm bothers me more, I would try to make sure they do the same one so they can stick together. As WTFH says, boarding falls normally feel like bigger impacts, so they must wear knee pads and should probably wear @rse pads if the snow is even remotely hard.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think that with today's skis (assuming your hire skis are modern shaped skis) make skiing easier to learn. I also think it's less painful to learn! The skills do transfer if she wants to go to boarding later, too. BTW, "cool" has moved back to skiing with twin-tips and parks. It's all rather silly in my book, but there you go...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skiing will start off easier as they can find their feet quickly and will spend the majority of their time on their feet. With boarding they will spend the majority of the time on thir backside to start with.

I have taught both and would say if you want to get them up the mountain so the can see what it's like up top, then go with skiing to start with. The last group of kids I taught had never skied before and we were skiing red runs by the end of the week.

Skiing is just as cool as boarding now, if not more. Skiiers are going bigger on every thing nowadays.

If she gets the basics of skiing then she will have a better understanding of how things work and will get on with snowboarding a whole heap better.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks everyone - I shall advise her to try the skiing, and to keep her mum company at ski school.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
noggy, make sure you choose a good resort for beginners. You'll want a good mix of terrain and the ability to get around the mountain easily, nothing worse for beginners than being stuck on the nursery slopes all week.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David - I've just booked February half term at Obergurgl. It seems to fit the bill. Not been before though, but reviews here and elsewhere seem quite positive.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy