Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes Snow Report 2010/2011

Poster: A snowHead
rorie, PM sent!!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Snow heads, a group of friends and I are driving out on the 9th for some summer snowy fun, looks like conditions are pretty good this year! Does anyone know the state of the park? is the big jump line open at all? was a bit disappointed that it wasnt for most of the week we were up last year.

Other questions, one of our group is leaving on the 13th and needs to be in geneva by 1700, are there any summer transfer options that dont involve me driving back?
Also we will be driving back to the UK on the 16th with space in our car for anyone who needs a lift/fancies contributing some petrol, cant wait to get out there!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
o0o0o0 nice,I think Yvonne is already signed up to that as well.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ADubya, get in touch with the Melezes. They're doing transfers most days if you can tag on.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I will try that, thanks Rory! Also if anyone fancies some tennis, we will most likely be trying to find locals to play some doubles with! Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ADubya wrote:
Also if anyone fancies some tennis, we will most likely be trying to find locals to play some doubles with! Smile

Ask in TC's bar.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rorie- or any other Tignes Addict: This isn't conditions related but a quick query.....Do you know anywhere in Tignes, Bourg etc that sells ex-hire (or used/second hand) skis in summer (or even in winter)? Mrs MA & I are each after a pair of rock/crevasse hoppers/waterskis to leave in our apartment for high summer use only.

We're after buying some over there as we take mountain bikes with us in summer so don't want to be lugging skis as well.

We generally get by on whatever is going cheapest hire-wise so aren't after anything too super duper wink. We saw some in one of the hire shops near Bank Savoie in Le Lac a couple of summers ago - but didn't buy them. Of course when we went back the shop was shut....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mountainaddict, sorry for the slow response. I've seen ex-rental kit in the Sport 2000 next to McDonalds in Bourg St Maurice. It might be tucked away for the summer now, so ask if you can't find it.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers rorie! Will see if we can get there - though as we arrive early evening on day 1 we may struggle to find time to get down there amid a frenzy of skiing, biking & hiking Very Happy.

Meanwhile, how's the skiing at the moment?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
By the look of the webcams, we are talking fresh tracks on the Tignes glacier today Very Happy .

We arrive on Thursday (21.7.11) - can't wait Cool! Is there anybody there at the mo who can report on present conditions to whet our appetite?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rorie, Hi Rorie. Any news on the proposed redevelopment/replacement (or not)of the Aeroski?

Cheers, George.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hey snowheads

There's definitely some snow on the glacier today. The bottom of it is looking white, not it usual summer grey! More snow forecast through the night! Should be good fun up there tomorrow! snowHead snowHead snowHead

GeorgeVII, the replacement of Aeroski is still planned for summer 2012 unless anything changes. The plan is for a 8 man chairlift (like Tommeuses). I'm not sure about the removal of Paquis. They were trying to save it: http://www.save-paquis.com/
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was up there yesterday and the was a couple of inches of fresh......
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rorie wrote:
GeorgeVII, the replacement of Aeroski is still planned for summer 2012 unless anything changes. The plan is for a 8 man chairlift (like Tommeuses). I'm not sure about the removal of Paquis. They were trying to save it: http://www.save-paquis.com/

Not one of the chosen categories but I've signed up to the petition and would advocate that all Snowheads who visit Tignes do so, the Paquis and Combe Folle lifts create a valuable alternative to the Aeroski either when it's shut or the top of this very small mountain get unbelievably crowded and dangerous, it's worse than the top of La Saulire.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rorie wrote:
the replacement of Aeroski is still planned for summer 2012 unless anything changes. The plan is for a 8 man chairlift (like Tommeuses). I'm not sure about the removal of Paquis. They were trying to save it: http://www.save-paquis.com/

I hope they sort out the position of the starting point of it!!! Maybe they will re-contour trolles ridge at the same time they build the pylons
ski holidays
Quote:

I hope they sort out the position of the starting point of it (ie of the Aeroski)!!!
If they move the getting on point towards the Palafour Chair this would mean easier access from the Palafour side - but would worsen access from the Aeroski side of the mountain - and vice versa Puzzled
ski holidays
Is the Paquis the chair that comes up out of Lavachet and hooks onto the top of piste H? If so getting rid of it will surely knobble the area - only lift access out would be to the other side (chardonet?), so to access the Glacier and Toviere side would be a multi-lift job or a ride on the bus. That makes no sense at all.
latest report
rogg wrote:
Is the Paquis the chair that comes up out of Lavachet and hooks onto the top of piste H? If so getting rid of it will surely knobble the area - only lift access out would be to the other side (chardonet?), so to access the Glacier and Toviere side would be a multi-lift job or a ride on the bus. That makes no sense at all.

Exactly, you'd have to go up Chaudannes (sp?) and back down towards Palafour / Aeroski

revised for better misspelling Very Happy
snow report
stevew, so if they get rid of Paquis are they going to replace it with something else/another route?

I also think it would be a mistake, especially since Chaudannes goes in completely the opposite direction to where you'd want to go, it takes a while anyway, that one, since it's quite long I think, and then the route back down to Palafour/Aeroski gets busy towards the end of the day anyway, and gets bumpy. It will take far longer to get back to Val Claret if you can't just ski down Piste H to it Puzzled
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, doesn't look life it from the website
latest report
The original plan (before the protest website etc) was to rip out the aeroski (which still does not comply with its planning consent - allegedly) replace it with a chair running to the top of the Tov. The chair base was due to be sited further down the slope (think opposite Caves du Lac) so that the views from the Levanna were improved. The new chair was due to operate in winds up to 26m/s (at which point it is difficult to stand, the aeroski shuts at 16m/s.) The Rosset (free chair) was going to be moved and extended to run from the bottom of the Lavachet Gardens to the current top of the rosset - giving access from lav to the aeroski nouveau. The Paquis was then going to be moved to replace the Aiguille Rouge - a popular but 'under lifted' area. The overall argument revolved round the fact that the paquis is under used (only about 30% of the seats used IIRC - and a lot of that was when the aeroski was closed). This all seemed to make sense unless you lived or owned a business in Lav or used the paquis a lot as some of the advanced instructors do.
latest report
chocksaway, what about access to the Rosset nursery slope from Tignes then?
snow conditions
stevew

Sorry, that was the one bit of the plan I missed out - I was typing from memory without a copy of the mag from Le Mairie. There is a plan for a super 'magic carpet' to move the beginners up the Rosset beginners bit.
ski holidays
chocksaway, would probably make sense, not to far given the size of some I've seen in Val Thorens. All in all probably less of an issue than thought, but it's still useful being able to not have to go to the top of the Aeroski if you want to get to VC as it's so damn busy / dangerous at the top section
ski holidays
chocksaway, stevew, sounds like you will still be able to get from Lavachet to le Lac then and actually it would be quicker than taking the Chaudannes and going around the back coming out at Palafour. So that would be better by the sounds of it.

Having a high speed 8 man chair from where the Aeroski is now would also make a lot of sense and would be quicker also (I think?) because there would be no need to take skis off and walk as with the gondola, as well as it not being closed as quickly in high winds. On the other hand, if there will be skiers coming from Lavachet directly then will that mean more queues for the new Aeroski chair lift?

Agreed that there will now be increased traffic at the top of Toviere instead of the previous Lavachet skiers getting off further down as it is currently. Mind you, that may mean that people going from Lavachet wanting to go to Val Claret will now get on the bus instead to save going up to the Toviere. Would it be quicker to get on the bus anyway? Puzzled

If all these new arrangements go through when are they thinking of doing the work i.e. in which season will it be finished?
snow report
And if the Aiguille Rouge is the chair I'm thinking of, it's a slow, old chair and does need replacing, plus it only carries 3 people per chair I think as well.
ski holidays
Aiguille Rouge is the shorter of the 2 chairs from the top of the Brev Gondola, old slow but I think its 4 seats. The 21 minuter (Marais) is the really cold 3 man. Now if I was in charge I would prefer a 2 stage chair (like Bollin Fresse) where you could get off half way - so a quick run down to Le Lac or the intermediate runs directly above the gondola or proceed to the Eye and press in any direction you choose.

I think the Aeroski is due for change Summer 2012 - one of the difficulties is that it was a prototype which didn't catch on and all the spare bits are bespoke made. However, they will have to upgrade the heating system for Le Lagon as the Aeroski provides a lot of hot air/water (very green!)
snow report
chocksaway, I think I must have been thinking of the Aiguille Percee which is a 3 man chair (?) and is an old one.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
VAS5 - The Aiguille Percee which runs from below the Palafour to the 'Eye' was slow and 3 man - but they hung the old Tufs (or Tichot??) 4 seat chairs a couple of years ago and installed the rolling carpet so they could speed it up - so now it has the worst 'kick' in the EK as the chair assaults the unwary on the back of the legs (and occasionally deposits people head first back down to earth Twisted Evil ).
snow report
chocksaway, more than any couple of years ago, it's three seasons since I was in Tignes and that had been there for some time then - sorry pedant head on Very Happy
ski holidays
Stevew - as long as you come back!
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
VAS5 - The Aiguille Percee which runs from below the Palafour to the 'Eye' was slow and 3 man - but they hung the old Tufs (or Tichot??) 4 seat chairs a couple of years ago and installed the rolling carpet so they could speed it up - so now it has the worst 'kick' in the EK as the chair assaults the unwary on the back of the legs (and occasionally deposits people head first back down to earth Twisted Evil ).

Yes it's the leg thwacker I'm thinking of! I always shuffle a little bit forward so I don't end up having it! Cool

Must be another old 3 man chair I'm thinking of! I'm getting muddled with my chairs! Very Happy
latest report
VAS5 - Absolutely, unfortunately my skiing buddies are all part or full time Tignyards so we all end up shuffling forward like a bunsh of chinese dancers. Oh and moving to the right on the Palafour to stop the gentlemen's 'equipment' removing device clobbering you Shock , (that sharp bit of downwards facing plastic on the restraining bar thats designed to stop les enfants falling out)
ski holidays
chocksaway, hehehe. Can't wait to go back to Tignes this coming season.
latest report

A shot of the glacier this morning. That bad weather this last week has really helped out the snow conditions up top.
ski holidays
Rorie - stop it you're making me jealous.........
snow conditions
chocksaway, I heard a snowboard grumbling that it was too icy for him, but they do that!
snow report
rorie wrote:
chocksaway, I heard a snowboarder grumbling , but they do that!

Improved that.

Rorie, looks fantastic, lucky you.
ski holidays
TIGNES TRIP REPORT Very Happy

Just back after 5 days mountainbiking/hiking and skiing in Tignes and Val Thorens. This was our 5th consecutive summer ski in Tignes and by far the best - conditions were more akin to winter than late July. The snow is just incredible at the moment and we even got some fresh tracks in Very Happy .

Last year (in early August) it was 32C in Tignes, this year we never saw anything above 9 or 10C. One morning it was 1.5C in resort. On the glacier it was between -2C and -5C on a morning. Last Saturday night (23.7.11) it snowed above 1800m - heavily above 2200m Shocked . The glacier shuts at 1pm for skiing - in previous years we've been skiing mush by 10am - but this year we were still skiing winter snow at 11.30am.

A bit nippy for hiking and mountain biking - but skiing just amazing for the time of year.

I'm at work at the moment but pics to be posted later Smile .
ski holidays
mountainaddict, glad conditions are holding up so well. We had a great time in June, and the snow depths then looked like they were setting up the summer season for a good one Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy