Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Small French Resorts 2010-2011

Poster: A snowHead
I know this topic can't be everywhere, but we're heading to Aussois for the start of their season. Some of their cams are working, but some aren't.

Avago: I see you've posted about La Norma - are you nearby or just looking at the webcams (like me!)

If anyone's nearby, any chance of an update?

Cheers,

Nuck.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nuck_the_king, Unfortunately not near La Norma at the moment Sad ........... will be there in 2 weeks time Very Happy

Conditions are reported to be ok at the moment, rain is forecast for tomorrow so there is a good chance it will affect the snow base. Sad

Fingers crossed the snow will return soon snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the reply.

In two weeks' time, Ill be there myself Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy !!

First time skiing for me in a decade - first time with the wife & kids...we had fantastic snow in Sussex from Wednesday to Saturday - hoping for the same when we drive 700 miles to France..... wink

Nuck.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
After a fantastic day yesterday in waist deep powder close to the col du Granier it was back up to St Hils today. The pistes were in much better nick compared to last week with 40cm of firm snow at the bottom.

There was a lot of snow transport. On the way down Junior and I were checking out some full depth slides below the col du coq when a large mountain rescue operation bowled past, 3 vans and a motoneige. There had a been a small avalanche on the col above where we were, result: 3 dead, all three with beacons and two with airbags. The small slide had carried them into trees.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nuck - really wouldn't worry about it. The main 'learner' area is at 1500m and that's looking fine. If there is any problem, you will all jump on the lift to 2150m. If there is any problem there then we're all doomed !!

webcams are now working . . . . http://www.cameras-aussois.com/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

There had a been a small avalanche on the col above where we were, result: 3 dead, all three with beacons and two with airbags. The small slide had carried them into trees.

Sad
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
les Buttes Chaumont

http://www.skipass.com/news/index.php?action=portfolio&object_id=59881&start_index=0

I've given an beacon training course in this park.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof, Great pics Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+ 1 Cool
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes got to congratulate the skipasseurs for their effort. Here is some video from Paris in 1946, quelle classe!

http://youtube.com/v/dWcth4zh6_o
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yesterday we were out touring in the Chamrousse backcountry but this also took us onto some of the resort pistes.

Conditions on north faces, ridges and summits are a bit wind scoured at this shot from the lac roberts pistes at the Croix de Chamrousse shows

The piste was not open to skiers and I can see why.

However things were better on the south facing slopes where you could find spring snow conditions. This is the bottom of the Casserouse.

Some interesting effects with the winter sun on the lift cables, they must have some glass balls on them?

Overall there is around 20cm of hardpack at 1400 meters. Conditions are reasonable above 1600m and probably fine lower down as it is cold enough to run snow making. Spring snow on sunny slopes but beware any shaded north to west slopes as the snow is quite hard. There was a ski touring death on Friday when a skier slid 200m into trees in the Hautes-Alpes.

Overall conditions are better than the same time last year and there is now a very solid base below 2500-2600m for the fresh snow (10cm?) expected on Thursday and Friday.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof wrote:
Yes got to congratulate the skipasseurs for their effort. Here is some video from Paris in 1946, quelle classe!

Were they skiing for pleasure, or skiing in retreat from the Germans still? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Margeriaz open for the weekend of November 27th/28th and the last two weekends with the full season kicking off on the 18th December. I believe it was the earliest opening for 30 years... you can check out the webcams at http://www.lesaillons.com/www-webcams-732-HIVER-FR-SAVOIE.html
Les Aillons, its lower neighbour has snow but not open yet. I'm off on Saturday for a cheeky weekend before the first guests arrive! Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof wrote:

http://youtube.com/v/dWcth4zh6_o

Just shows skiing down stairs isn't a modern grunge thing!

PS Love this thread that shows that skiing isn't just about mega resorts
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anyone got anything to report about the resorts around Albertville? going there this weekend, and wondering where would be good to go. Thinking of going to Les Saises, Valmorel. (or 3 valleys if the small resorts don't have great conditions)
latest report
There has been around 20cm of snow overnight and it is still snowing. Of only academic interest at the moment as they are not clearing the roads (lack of budget) so travel is difficult.
latest report
OH has just driven down and just about got along the Motorway between Chambery and Modane (ie 3v area but going towards the Frejus tunnel) - sounds a bit nasty out there right now . . . . . but our European friends are pretty good at clearing the roads albeit a bit slower than normal by the sounds of it.
latest report

There was around 30cm of fresh snow in the Norther Alps over the weekend which tidied up the pistes (still a few bare patches and still quite hard snow lower down). However the wind from the S / SW moved a lot of snow off exposed slopes as you can see in the picture of the 7 laux above.

Tomorrow should be good skiing conditions, foehn expected on Tuesday with heavy rain is expected to 2200 m on Tuesday night / Wednesday.
ski holidays
davidof, beautiful photo.
snow report
On Sunday, with a decidedly dodgy forecast for the Chamonix valley, we headed for a short tour up the Croise Baulet above Combloux. This is a great day out, with 300m of ascent accessing an 800m descent to Le Plan, before using the La Giettaz lift system to link back around to the starting point.

Heading for the Col du Jaillet, Petite Croise Baulet up & right, with the main Croise Baulet behind:

300m of ascent on reasonable gradient:

A pause mid-descent, the camera was forgotten as the powder was so good!!:

Last few turns above Le Plan:

snow conditions
Nice photos.

The weather has not been kind the last few days. Torrential rain has taken its toll on lower slopes.

the zero iso was at 2400m and yesterday it was 10C at 1000m and it has been windy at altitude. Similar picture across the French mountains. The next few days will be similar with rain to 1700m followed by a colder snap over the weekend then a return to warm weather. You really need to be above 1800m to have reasonable conditions although slopes with snow-making have resisted better. It has been an unseasonably warm December. So much so that I bumped into some locals who were heading to... Scotland for Christmas.
latest report
Thanks for keeping this alive again... I love this thread and everything these little French ski centres stand for. I always have the impression that these slope users are the real enthusiasts for the sport rather than the holiday makers moaning about lift prices and the cost of a plate of bolognese at the service station style mountain restaurants as they ride the heated seat six pack. No doubt, except on the very worst days, they just think 'vive la difference' when they get back to the car park. Very Happy

davidof wrote:
heading to... Scotland for Christmas.

See, I knew they were proper skiers. wink Toofy Grin
latest report
moffatross,
Quote:

I love this thread
Me too. It's the skiing manifestation of the true 'France profonde'. Very Happy
snow conditions
moffatross, With you on that, although a lot of my work is in the bigger resorts I love getting out to the small areas with or without clients - a completely different vibe & always some good skiing to be had if you choose your day & do a bit of research. Also good for spotting vintage skis (and a monoski on Sunday too..though it looked to be quite a recent one!).
snow report
the battle between the mass of cold and warm air that has been raging over the Paris region and bringing them huge amounts of snow (along with the Vosges: attn avalanches) has moved down over the Alps today and is bringing heavy snowfall right down to valley levels. You'll need chains or snow tires to get around the place but it is good news for this thread.
ski holidays
Nuck_the_king, guess you are at Aussois now - hope you got the snowchains as there's a good covering in the Maurienne valley from about 600m!

As Davidof says, you need chains/snow tyres to get around today . . . . . looking good for a morning ski and then Xmas lunch in a outain restaurant though Very Happy
snow conditions
hi Davidoff - Any news on the conditions at Chamrousse? We're heading over to France for a week there from 31st till Jan 7th. Can't wait having spent most of my time there last season! Looks like there is a decent amount of snow (40-70cm) - but maybe could do with some more? Anyone there at the moment?
ski holidays
Good skiing everywhere above 1300 meters at the mo, incl Chamrousse. Lower down and there is a lack of cover due to the recent rain/foehn cycles.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm off to villard de lans at the weekend for a week and am a little worried... is there much snow? As far as I can tell from their website only the runs with snowmaking appear to be open and out of these 12, 5 are green! I thought the resort would be fully operational now. Can you recommend anywhere nearby to drive to that will have anything better, or am I crying before the milks been spilt?
snow report
Quick report before I go and have a glass of Champagne. Just back from an afternoon at Alpes du Grand Serre - Fog low down, cleared at the top. Snow currently hard, not all pistes open. Needs some more snow (last snow 25/12/2010). Probably pretty much the same story all around the Grenoble region. Off for 5 days to Chamrousse tomorrow. Meteo predicting another cold snap, maybe some snow tomorrow afternoon and also a little more on thursday. Lovely to be back on the white stuff! Happy New Year to all.
ski holidays
The "tot" has been ill with flu over Christmas so we've only just started skiing again. On Friday we went up to the Col de Marcieu. Very grey, there is a double inversion in the valley with a cloud base around 600m then a second layer of thick cloud at 1800m. Very polluted in Grenoble with speed restrictions. The air was nearly orange on Friday. Thank gawd I don't actually live there.

Col de Marcieu has 6 pistes, one of them very steep but with a great little area for juniors.

Pistes were deserted, in contrast to the 7 laux which stopped selling tickets this week as the slopes were too full. I was in the 7 laux yesterday and have never seen so many cars there in my life. At the Collet d'Allevard they also had an overcrowding problem (it is notorious at New Year) with people having to walk half an hour from their cars to just buy tickets. According to French TV these mid size resorts have been doing extremely well at Christmas. When you think that a week at the 7 laux would cost you around half that at Val d'Isere you can see why. Arguably better skiing at this time of year.

Wednesday we were at the Plateau d'ArseHell for cross country skiing. This area is just below Chamrousse at 1600m. Great cross country snow conditions.

http://youtube.com/v/zVjIUvtSdPY

Thurday was ski touring at St Colomban les Villards near the Sybelles domain. Snow looked ok on piste.

http://youtube.com/v/NmQOVhQfr_0

(Filmed with Panasonic Lumix DMC FP1 / Edited with Kdenlive on Ubuntu)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 2-01-11 11:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
They do have a lot closed at Villard des Lans, 11/34 only open. Meaudre across the valley looks to have better snow. The Belledonne and Chartreuse seem to have got more snow.
ski holidays
I was at Orcieres on Saturday, for a half day. The traffic was very busy, change over day. We parked in the free car park above Les Estaris, using 3 escalators to get to the telemix de rocherousse. Pistes not busy, clear blue skies, snow in good condition. The only problems were patches of hard pack, the worst we found on the blues Chardonnets and Les Bouquetins.
A good day, and a good start to the season!
Off to Chamrousse possibly on Wednesday, weather dependant. Fair weather skiers, eh?
snow report
PaulS wrote:

Off to Chamrousse possibly on Wednesday, weather dependant. Fair weather skiers, eh?

I know the feeling, I check the weekly weather bulletins to plan work at home and skid days now.
snow report
Am at Chamrousse at the moment. Had 3 good days skiing - snow a little hard in the morning, but some good tracks to be found amongst the trees if you fancy heading off piste (got a bit stuck on a couple of them - had to derap down a couple of very steep icy decents - all good practice for something I am sure - just don't know what yet Happy

The top of the Couloir de Casserousse is open, and very nice to ski - very easy also at the moment. No moguls -0 but few skiiers which makes it a nice excursion. You need a lot of speed at the bottom though because you have to follow the generally flat piste back to the main resort and it can be a pain to have to trek uphill.

Otherwise, forecast may allow some snow tonight (last significant fall was 25/12/10). Snow getting thin off piste - but maybe also some rain tomorrow Sad 0 degree isotherm for midday is supposed to be around 2500 which is going to hurt a bit.

Will be up early to catch the fresh powder if there is any.
ski holidays
CharlieL, I was there this afternoon, quiet and a fair bit of hard pack around, but enough decent stuff to have a good time. As for the snow, the clouds were looking threatening, but in a good way. I hope the snow falls for you!
ski holidays
Chamrousse: 12:55. A few flakes of snow this morning, but windy at the top (only the telecabine was open to La Croix). Then turned to a few drops of light rain - nothing substantial for the moment. Skiing still possible pretty much everywhere on the resort, except it is getting a little
soggy down at the Arselle (where I'm having lunch Happy --

Lots of snow forecast for next Sunday, Monday, Tuesday --
snow report
Temperatures were 8C overnight with rain at Chamrousse (1800m) Shocked The mountains look a lot blacker. If you apply adiabatic cooling that gives a zero iso of 2600m with snow maybe above 2300m.
snow report
Hello Everyone,

I have just joined the forum.
I have been really worried about chamrousse as we are due to arrive next saturday (15th) and seen that is hasn't snowed much and isn't much snow forecast! Fingers crossed it does.
The updates from people there are good! Smile
latest report
Left Chamrousse yesterday Sad Snow very wet - unusually warm. Only the lower pistes open (Arselle). The top of the station was closed (La Croix). Springlike conditions - very strange for this time of year! But, snow is forecast. The webcams tell the story. Shezza3 - you may be okay because some snow is still forecast for today and tomorrow. The use snow cannons as well on some of the pistes. Good luck! The resort itself is brilliant - one of my favourite skiing areas - the whole resort can be skiied - it is like one huge playground.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy