Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

n00b in need of ski education...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hey guys, im just getting into skiing and was wondering if there was a website where i could learn about different skis and bindings etc??... At the moment when i start reading some of the threads and you start talking about 'rockers', all-mountain skis, sidecut and all that skiing jargon, i get completely lost... Puzzled

Been toying with the idea of buying some second hand skis but really dont know where to start!

many thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm lost and I design skis for a living.

Best advice you can get is Demo many, buy what makes you grin. The jargon (bull5hit) will follow
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tomb,^^^^^+1 , save yourself loads of ££££££££ , by hiring/demo-ing whats new and cool and try and close your ears/eyes to the blurb and graphics and see what you would be happy to ski for the next 2/3 years at least !!!! or wait for the end of season sales and pick up a bargin that you can grow into
Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lots of skishops have reasonable explanations on their websites but it might just confuse you & they tend to be skewed toward getting you onto the latest and greatest. Dot knows what he's talking about, demo and if it feels like a giggle chances are you'll have fun longer term with them.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How many times you been skiing mate? cos I wouldn't bother spending lots of money on skis if your style doesn't suit them, (by style I mean you know whether you like to carve your turns or get low down and turn aggressively etc) unfortunately the top sheets (the graphics you look at) tend to sway buyers rather than how good the actual ski is. As suggested above I'd go to a slope and demo a few different pairs so you get to physically feel the differences between them and decide which suits you snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It is extremely confusing! The only bit of advice that I found useful was "don't hurry into buying". Lots of things to consider; height, weight, skiing style, terrain you like to ski and how you're going to be skiing (technique) in 3 years time! Reading ski reviews can be helpful but only if the skier profile matches yours. Bottom line, it's difficult.

If I remember correctly, you've only just started but seem to be a pretty motivated chap. How many times are you likely to go this season and the next? If the number is 3 or more, try some skis out the next time you go and then buy. On the other hand, if you are unlikely to go more than a couple of times, you're probably better off renting. Factor in costs like tuning/ servicing, tranfer/ luggage costs and hassle. Oh and buy boots first if you haven't got some already.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dot. wrote:

QFT. Wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
parlor, wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dot. wrote:

Best advice you can get is Demo many, buy what makes you grin. The jargon (bull5hit) will follow

Extremely good advice, but bear in mind that you won't get an all mountain experience on a demo unless it's a demo on a mountain.

I think there have been four pairs of skis that have made me grin on various demos in snowdomes but three of them I know wouldn't want to take onto a mountain for a week. One was a pair of really park-y skis (Miss Demeanours I think (which probably suited me as I was a newbie when I tried them and they were ridiculously manoeuvrable)), one was a pair of the Movement Mozzies (which were taller than I am and I'm actually still tempted by), one was a pair of BBRs (that I couldn't take the teasing for). The forth I might buy when I can think of somewhere to keep them.

As a relative beginner myself (5th year on skis) I know that my technique is still evolving from year to year. I'm holding off buying a pair of skis until I know that I've got a pair that I'm comfortable with now and won't outgrow in a couple of seasons. Until then, hiring suits me. I've been hanging around here long enough to know that I don't want really fat skis on the piste and I don't want racing skis in knee deep powder. Although if I keep working on my technique I will eventually be able to ski on anything anywhere.

Back to the original post though, what would you be looking for in buying 2nd hand?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy