Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lhasa Pow

Poster: A snowHead
anyone skied these? Seem to get rave reviews over the pond, but they ain't cheap!

regards,

Greg
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
speak to spyderjon
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gorilla and DaveC also
gorilla's first(?) pair delammed quite badly and PMGear's customer service seems to be either excellent or risible depending on which side of the bed the CEO got out of
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I love mine. I needed a to have a two ski quiver, and the first ski had to be something I could teach/do instructor exams on. Lhasas make a perfect companion to them, imo, and can be skied reasonably conventionally as well as the techniques that width and rocker allow. I have 196s, kind of tempted to sell them and get 191s to put dukes on. Amazingly light, suprisingly stiff, very rewarding to ski. It basically combines everything I've loved about skis I've owned (and sold), from Spatula shapes to conventional 110mm'ers, with very little sacrifice for the versatility.

Maybe try and pick some up on Gear Swap. Look at the DPS RC112 or whatever it's called too - personally I think they look silly and prefer my Lhasas, but worth a look. I don't think I'd ever want a non-carbon based ski now.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DaveC, let me know if you decide to sell the 196s assuming that

a) you are in Hull not Fernie
b) the price ain't silly!

Cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski, I'm in Hull, and the skis are in Fernie Very Happy I'm probably just going to put Dukes on them rather than mess around. Your best shout might be watching TGR's gear swap and negotiating getting a second hand pair here somehow... or watch out for blems from PMGear (also on TGR gear swap)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I agree with what Dave C says and also with Arno. I would add several things in respect of technique. Firstly they require quite a bit of input in order to get them to make short turns. While the running length on the 186s is the same as a 165 ski or thereabouts, they still have a 35m turn radius, even in the smallest size. They are a big step up from something like a Scott Mission that basically turns itself. Furthermore, if you want to make big carved turns somewhere you need a lot of space in front of you, very few people about and the ability to keep your breakfast down.

Related to this, they reward a forward stance, something I struggle with in some conditions. You need to be on them constantly. If you get backseat at all, especially on hardpack or firm snow off piste, they will throw you and it will not be pretty: the stiff semi pintail is not forgiving in any way. Also, as a result of the early rise tip, you lack the feeling of working the tip through the turn when on firm snow (when the early rise is not engaged). This takes some getting used to. I find I need a while to dial into mine if I haven't skied them for a while.

Regarding build quality, my first pair delammed all over the show. I think this was due to problems they were having getting the metal elements of the ski to stick to the carbon. My current pair are bomb proof and have 90 days or so on them without any major problems. My customer service experience was good bordering on excellent. Others have had worse experiences, including one incident that I thought was poor.

Those things aside, I think it is a very good everyday ski for someone skiing off piste almost all the time in variable snow. There are few things they do badly. I tend to think 100-110mm underfoot with tip rocker or early rise and a relatively straight sidecut is optimal for the kind of skiing I like to do. It is particularly good in crust conditions where my technique problems are most glaringly obvious. I have put 160 odd days on them and am, on the whole, very happy with with way the ski performs.

I should add that, in respect of ability I am one of those people that skis better on the internet than I do on actual mountains. I have a full range of technique deficiencies and would take that into account when interpreting my advice. For reference I weigh 80kgs and ski the 186 carbons. It is also worth bearing in mind that most of the reviewers on TGR are much better skiers than people on this forum and I would take that into account when interpreting their comments.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gorilla wrote:

Related to this, they reward a forward stance, something I struggle with in some conditions. You need to be on them constantly. If you get backseat at all, especially on hardpack or firm snow off piste, they will throw you and it will not be pretty: the stiff semi pintail is not forgiving in any way. Also, as a result of the early rise tip, you lack the feeling of working the tip through the turn when on firm snow (when the early rise is not engaged). This takes some getting used to. I find I need a while to dial into mine if I haven't skied them for a while.

I agree with this, with regards to "if you get caught backseat, they'll try and kill you". Even getting caught in the back for a moment will be very obvious. I definitely disagree that a forward stance is the answe thoughr, you just need to stay on top of them, centred, and drive them. A lot of people use the amount of ski, plus the rocker, to over-correct backseat issues and ski potentially worse, except that the equipment is extremely forgiving to overly fore balance. They're not a cruisy ski, you need to stand on them and drive them. Not a dig at you or anything gorilla, just a habit I occasionally see and quite often read about, especially on TGR.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I definitely disagree that a forward stance is the answe thoughr

I find I need to be more forward on them than I need to be on my Missions. I need to have my shins driving the cuff pretty firmly and be driving the tips hard to ski well, if I do not do this then I tend to ski badly or worse than I would otherwise. Perhaps I'm just mistaking upping the aggression for a stance adjustment.

Not being at the instructor level, either in knowledge of teaching or in technical ability, I'm not current with terminology on stance. As an aside, I've sometimes wondered whether people misinterpret "centred": i.e. "I think I'm centred but actually I'm squatting a bit". Not wanting to turn this thread into some form of BZK nightmare, though.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
gorilla, balance over the centre of the foot, so you can feel the whole footbed underfoot. Not pressing on tounge or rear cuff on boot - ankles, knees, hips all approx in the middle of their range of motion. If you're actively pushing on your cuffs, your ankle is overflexed. Some people seem to think of aggression=getting forward=using the tounge of the boot like an accelerator pedal. This is something that does get contradicted a lot online, and I've asked on Epic and got no real definite answer but I'm sure the BASI types will weigh in - centred is definitely how the CSIA teach it though. I think so many people hear "get forward" as an encouragement to stop being backseat, they assume that forward past centre is the goal.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DaveC, well I've learned something useful. Cheers. Will experiment.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DaveC wrote:
- centred is definitely how the CSIA teach it though. I think so many people hear "get forward" as an encouragement to stop being backseat, they assume that forward past centre is the goal.

Theres also quite a lot of confusion in ski reviews particularly of powder skis when they talk of forward stance, generally I take it to mean you don't have to lean back to get the tips to surface or plane as in older "trad" skis, thus you can ski deep snow more like a groomer. "get forward" is always a good mantra for me though as well as the usual heckler yelling "backseat" at me from chairs.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
generally I take it to mean you don\\\'t have to lean back to get the tips to surface or plane as in older \\\"trad\\\" skis

watch plake, schmitt et al in the blizzard of aahs.
even on 210cm K2 extremes they never (ever!) lean back in the powder.
they just drive the tips through the snow, and still manage to rip bigger GS turns than your average modern day fat ski commando.
leaning back is always bad technique, what ever the conditions or equipment.

staying centered is a little more complex, but it comes with time and practice more than anything I reckon.
no one ever gets caught front-seat Wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Haggis_Trap, Yeah I know but I suspect plake and schmidt never had to deal with tip dive humiliation like punters such as me (I count myself in gorilla's class of people who ski much better on tinternet). I have nothing but admiration for the guys who've grown up on modern skis but still take out 200cm missiles on longboard day and kill it the same.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I skied the Lhasa POW 186's last year and loved them but unfortunately one ski de-laminated in February. They're now on their way back to PM Gear for warranty claim. I don't know if I will replace them as in the meantime I ordered a pair of 191's Lhasa's instead based on Pat's advice and also picked up a set of 195 Super Bro's when they were on super sale so I think I'm now covered. I've yet to ski either of these two but both get rave reviews over on TGR.

You might want to contact "spyderjon" over on TGR as he skies the 196 Lhasa and the 183 Bros. OR here's his shop:http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/content/view/32/43/
snow report
There are some very good reviews on t'internet, I am yet to read a bad one!

This review from parkmeister was the most interesting I Thought, post 17 here  

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184155

latest report
kitenski, I had a bad experience with PM Gear. Poor quality skis sold as top sheet blems. Had to resort to credit card company for refund. Don't get sucked in by the "Bro's"...
ski holidays
BobinCH, fortunately i am not looking at the bros......
ski holidays
The Lhasa's also have "BRO" on the them...
snow report
Well time to update this! Luck would have it before last season I was in the USA with work and PMgear had some *VERY* good deals on so I bit the bullet and got a pair of 191s

First time out was in Zinal Jan 2011, my first 2-3 days were a bit strange on them, they are the widest skis I've skied and I was very cautious, but slowly got into them. I used them for some short 20-30min skins and the light weight certainly helped!

My 2nd trip with them was to Stuben in April 2011. They were absolutely fantastic in mostly on piste slush, with a couple of days of fresh powder, and I really got into them,

I'm just back from Japan where they were fantastic, and did everything I could want of them, steep, deep, trees, open bowls, cut up bump runs etc etc

All in all very pleased, this years model with the carbon look so much cooler though! Wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy