Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes, Investment Part 2

Poster: A snowHead
Blue run into resort planned for Les Deux Alpes

"It's been a long time coming but plans are finally afoot in Les Deux Alpes to improve the access to resort for beginners.

New owner, Compagnie des Alpes has announced plans to build a Blue piste down from Cretes for winter 2011/12. Currently two of the three pistes into resort are Black runs, with a winding, narrow (and notorious!) Green the only option for beginners who want to ski or snowboard into town. The only other option for those who aren't at an advanced level – and one that is recommended by the ski schools in resort – is to take the lifts down the mountain at the end of the day, resulting in queues during peak weeks.

Details of the new piste have not yet been released but the news will be welcomed by locals and tourists alike, many of whom find the busy and challenging pistes into resort troublesome."

Origional post by vickie allen, les 2 alpes reporter for 2alpsnet.com ( http://www.2alpesnet.com/whats_new_article.php?id_whats_new=7961&id_back=1 )
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mixed feelings about that. I think the new piste will have to be dynamited/carved into the mountain, which I instinctively don't like. OTOH, there is a genuine need, and I agree that it should prove popular.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Currently two of the three pistes into resort are Black runs

Surely 4/5. Not including the way down via the Petit Aigulle blue.

Quote:

there is a genuine need,

Really? They've done well enough so far. Maybe they should put Y back to being a red. Wherever this goes it'll ruin a nice route down that face.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Surely 4/5. Not including the way down via the Petit Aigulle blue.

I thought the same so checked map. Demoiselles, Valentin, L'Y & Diable (although they merge towards the bottom) & Sapins

Trouble is almost everyone uses either Demoiselles or Valentin which get very busy and most of those using Valentin aren't really up to it. L'Y & Diable are usually fine if you don't want to be at the other end of town. All black except Demoiselles though.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Colin B, you can traverse the whole of the bas des pistes from either end, so it doesn't really matter which piste you use to get down.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lizzard, Very true.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lizzard, even so, I think Colin B is right -

Quote:
almost everyone uses either Demoiselles or Valentin which get very busy and most of those using Valentin aren't really up to it.

And whilst I agree with Swirly that L'Y isn't a gopping black (and it's a very nice run home) it would be a very significant red. I'm not keen on the mountainside being ripped up - but I can see why there is pressure to do so.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
achilles, I wasn't disagreeing with that bit.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What I'd be worried about is the destruction of the offpiste in vallons di diable. Its probably got the most blue friendly gradient around.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
scottishskier, that was my thought. The only other place I can think of would be something that came off the ridge running away from the village chair and then linked into the top of petit aiguille somehow. That might need another drag for access though and is taking you away from what most people think of as town. Loss of the Vallons would be a massive misjudgement IMO.

achilles, I don't know when it changed but Y used to be called Le Rouge (and was obviously a red) while I think it now has a better name and it would be a tough red why not put it back.

I don't get the issue with getting a lift down either: there's loads of capacity if there's a big queue why not go and grab a beer as there are bars near the top of each lift. The few days I skied there I got a lift down as I couldn't do the blacks safely.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Details of the new piste have not yet been released but the news will be welcomed by locals and tourists alike, many of whom find the busy and challenging pistes into resort troublesome."

Not by this tourist as not doubt it will inolve yet more buldozing of slopes to make them suitable for the perceived abilities of the punters. If your not up to skiing the slopes then take the lift down!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Swirly wrote:
......achilles, I don't know when it changed but Y used to be called Le Rouge (and was obviously a red) while I think it now has a better name and it would be a tough red why not put it back.

What's being proposed is a blue to get people down from the Cretes area. A tough red is not really an option for Cretes punters.

Quote:
I don't get the issue with getting a lift down either: there's loads of capacity if there's a big queue why not go and grab a beer as there are bars near the top of each lift. The few days I skied there I got a lift down as I couldn't do the blacks safely.

I am quite happy to take the lift down, too, depending on circumstances. I am not at all happy with the proposal - but I do recognise the pressure behind it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
achilles, you wouldn't believe the number of people who whinge at us that 'you can't ski back to resort'. No, madam, you can't ski back to resort. Because you're cr@p. Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard, they should put that on a website FAQ page. Anyway if you ski to the second hairpin on Demoiselles and cut across to Valentin from there what's left is no steeper than the pitch on Gours.

achilles, I know that I was just giving a brief history of one of the runs down the face, of course as I've also said there is already a blue there and if you don't live where it drops you it's perfectly possible to head off a bit earlier and get to town via Vallee Blanche etc.

They'd do better than this and the other lift if they reopened the run and lift to Bons.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Swirly, I second re-opening the lift to bons, the one thing L2A needs is more tree line skiing and that is exactly what the bons run gives you. the only other problem is because of the aspect of the bons run they would need to put snow cannons in to keep the run open all season. Also replacing the ancient lift at le cretes the fantasticaly comfortable two man would be a much better use of money.
ski holidays
Agreed but don't underestimate

(a) tiredness factor causing people to fall and perhaps injure themselves and
(b) peer pressure to 'stick with the group' - now I'm more than happy to tell the group to foxtrot oscar and take my own way down which has included the chair/bubble back if I'm knackered rather than push on but loads and load of punters believe they 'have to ski back to the bottom' and that's what causes problems.

Especially if it's 15:30 on a friday but that's another story - lizzard - are there any stats in L2A on where the most number of accidents happen (the 'home runs perhaps') and what time of the day...
ski holidays
I believe there used to be a blue at the Red Eggs end, part of the course of which is still identifiable in summer. Perhaps the plan is to reinstate that?
snow report
Butterfly, AFAIK that run only came down as far as either the base of the 2 man chair or a now non-existent drag lift although someone with more local knowledge may be able to correct me on this.

That's the one area I would most not like to see a piste being put in.

bertie bassett, from anecdotal evidence and what I've seen in one season most rescues is probably people heading off the glacier the wrong way and most crashes on the mid mountain flat section coming into the Bellcombes chair. Once again I'd expect someone else to know this better than me.
snow conditions
Butterfly, wot Swirly said. I am trying to remember when I first went to LDA - but it was some time in the mid '90s, I think, and I don't recall the blue piste dropping lower than those lifts. Like Swirly, I hope that area remains untouched.
snow conditions
Butterfly, That's the Petite Diable, as said above it only goes part way down.

L'Y isn't pisted anymore either I don't believe (only Valentin and Diable are) which lessens the choice further if you don't fancy a mogulled black.
snow report
From what I know there are two plans in order, one from the crete and one from the vallon diable side, the one from the diable vallon side would be the easiest one to build as most of the gradient is alrerady there.

Colin B, When the snow is good they do piste L'Y and when they do its one of the best runs in town, but it is never pisted every day.
snow report
Colin B, Y is listed as 'secondaire' in terms of priority for the dameurs, which means it gets pisted a couple of times a week (ish). the only unpisted run down the front face is Sapins.
snow conditions
Colin B, whenever I have skied it Y has been near deserted and in remarkably good condition. It seems to be a delightful run which for some reason is largely ignored - in contrast to Valetin which is skied by large numbers who are ever likely to fall and take you out with them. Why more don't use Y much eludes me - but I am glad they don't, since it makes for a very pleasant run to the bottom.
snow report
achilles, At Easter I used L'Y or Diable to return most days, both were very quiet.
ski holidays
achilles, Y is deserted because it's poorly signposted and no-one finds it. Unfortunately this is likely to change next season because the DAL is embarking on a programme of putting in whopping big signs so that tourists can find their way about.

Dammit. Laughing
snow report
Lizzard, Sad . I'm getting the feeling that the ambience of LDA is about to change. I think that may be better for most punters, but not for me. Hope Cathy keeps the Lutins as is.
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
Y is deserted because it's poorly signposted and no-one finds it.

Remember, those who think they've been told to look for "Lee Grek" still won't find L'Y Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Butterfly, Laughing good point.

Sapins is never crowded either but that's because it's a %$^££ of a run.

achilles, I imagine with the signs it will just bring L2A in line with other resorts i.e. showing at various points on the mountain an up to date list of what is open/closed/opening which would be useful. I thought the signs for naming were generally quite good and I can still remember where most lifts/pistes are and their names while for the 4 vallees I don't think I ever learnt all the names. As to directions well it's such a linear place it's impossible to get lost without making a monumental misjudgement.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I know this is a very old thread (found it when I googled the question) but did the new blue run back into the resort ever get built?

Rob
ski holidays
RobWa, No but there is a red back now. It's a very nice run too running down from the Diable end of the resort.
snow report
Claude B wrote:
RobWa, No but there is a red back now. It's a very nice run too running down from the Diable end of the resort.

Thanks, Claude, I may be upto the red by the end of the week Little Angel

Rob
ski holidays
RobWa,

Seriously consider getting the lift back down - the green is awful

Skitrack
snow conditions
It is a kind red.... Not daunting at all and my 2 kids preferred skiing down rather than faffing getting into cable car down so ok on little tired pins too! Must say this is a great addition Very Happy
latest report
Earlier in this thread opening the lift and run to Bons is mentioned a couple of times. I think by Swirly and piste2powder.
Does anyone know when this lift last ran and if it is still possible to ski/board down to Bons albeit the lift won’t take you back.
I have been to LDA many times in the last few years and tried to find the route down to Bons in the summer based on an old piste map which showed the old run .I couldn’t find a way through the trees which ended up at the lift station in Bons. Perhaps trees have been planted where the run used to be? Any info gratefully received .
snow report
The new blue is to be ready for Dec 2015! I've seen it being dug out this week. It will be between the Diable 1 & 2 black runs. It's a huge project for them with earth movers all over that area. Exciting times for 2alpes Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy