Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

RIP Fredrik Ericsson

Poster: A snowHead
Sadly, Fredrik Ericsson has fallen 1,000m to his death, during his attempt to be the first person to ski down K2....

See: http://www.fredrikericsson.com/ and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fredrik_Ericsson
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sad news - where did you hear it? not showing up on google yet...

he was certainly pushing the boundaries Sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's been warm on K2 recently.

Rockfall, icefall or something else?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Here's a link in German (doesn't seem to have hit the English speaking news sites yet)

http://derstandard.at/1280984113284/Gipfelsturm-am-K2-Kaltenbrunner-erneut-gescheitert-Schwedischer-Kamerad-tot

http://kurier.at/nachrichten/2022049.php

It just says Ericsson fell to his death. Ralf Dujmovits (Kaltenbrunners husband) had to turn back earlier after being hit by falling rocks and Kaltenbrunner / Ericsson went on together with another 2 to 3 mountain climbers.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 6-08-10 13:37; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In English...

http://k2bottleneck.wordpress.com/2010/08/06/fredrik-ericsson-dead-kaltenbrunner-abandons-k2-summit-attempt/

RIP Sad
Very sad - especially coming after Michele Faits (IT) death last year whilst attempting to ski K2 with Ericsson.

Like many I was watching on the internet his attempt to ski the worlds 3 highest peaks.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 6-08-10 9:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nothing on google yet or my Twitter feeds from various US ski sources. Where did you the the info DB?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
weeSKI wrote:
Nothing on google yet or my Twitter feeds from various US ski sources. Where did you the the info DB?

Breaking news on German news sites - see above posts.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sad news. K2 is a monster.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Very sad news indeedweeSKI, it´s all over the tv and radio here, I heard this morning on Ö3 Crying or Very sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
OMG what tragic news, we were following him closely, a very sad day in the skiing and climbing fraternaty Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Terrible news.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Very sad news, RIP.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A little more news from a Swedish website

http://www.thelocal.se/28224/20100806/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very sad. Yet another one down. Deaths amongst the extreme elite seem to be occurring a little too often these days?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
the more boundaries are pushed, the more it's going to happen...

it is sad, but they know what they're getting into and are living the dream. unfortunately, some will pay the ultimate price.
snow report
slikedges wrote:
Very sad. Yet another one down. Deaths amongst the extreme elite seem to be occurring a little too often these days?
That is because what they do is exceptionally dangerous. I am sad for that die but more so for those that are left behind.
snow report
 brian
brian
The fatality rate for those attempting the summit of K2 is around 1 in 4 I think. Skullie
snow conditions
brian, a bit less than that I think. It isn't the worst. The accepted figure for Annapurna is that statistically 25% of those making a summit attempt perish Shocked I admire these people for knowing all those odds and yet still having a go. I know I wouldn't. Dougal Haston wrote a book about it The Psychology of Risk
ski holidays
Sad news indeed, have been following the web site. My heart goes out to his family & friends.
latest report
Quote:

Deaths amongst the extreme elite seem to be occurring a little too often these days?

I was thinking the very same thing earlier, the last few years really has seen a high death toll, most of the extreme people know the risks, accept them, and even say if they are going to go then they want to, while they are pushing the limits.

Quote:

the more boundaries are pushed

are there fewer boundaries these days? have we reached what we can achieve on skis or boards? should we ever stop pushing the boundaries? what is possible and impossible and will we ever know the limit? Just some of my thoughts after todays sad events.
snow report
Don't think the actual death toll has changed much over the decades. A visit to cemetaries in Zermatt and Chamonix tells the story. If anything the number of deaths compared to the number of participants has dramatically reduced thanks to technology and despite the exponential increase in extreme sports. The difference is that the players are media fodder these days. Their names and images are promoted to the likes of us in a way that wasn't thought of even 20 years back.
latest report
Swiller is fairly on point. In the pre-internet/DVD age we simply wouldn't have heard of Coombs, McConkey, CR Johnson, Arne Backstrom, Ericsson et al.

K2 is a high stakes game for any alpinist so I think the fact he was a skier is almost irrelevant unless directly linked to the cause of the fall. RIP.
snow report
It is not that long since he posted about the great conditions up there. Such a shame and a sad loss Sad
snow conditions
Very sad news - K2 is an extremely dangerous mountain but, as others have said, he surely knew the risks. Sad
snow report
An account of the events here. Looks like he just slipped and fell while trying to fix ropes. He wasn't roped up himself at the time. Very sad
snow conditions
B*gger & double b*gger... A sad loss ..
snow conditions
The Austrian Christian Stangl is still on K2 and is planning an attempt on the peak. He plans to go up during the night as it's colder and so reduces stonefall / avalanche danger.
ski holidays
Contact with Stangl was lost on Wednesday and people feared the worst.
This morning it was confirmed on Stangl's website that he was on the summit (took a few pics) and managed to get back to basecamp safely. His attempt took 70 hours although he only managed to sleep for short periods here and there. Congrats on being the first to summit K2 this season.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://www.skyrunning.at/
latest report
Very sad indeed.

Talking of
Quote:

The Psychology of Risk

Jens hoffman' s '20 seconds of joy' looking at the life and psychology of ex freeskier Karina Hollekim turned BASE-jumper looks like an interesting watch. Managed to miss it at the Adventure Film Festivel recently but the trailer looks good.
http://youtube.com/v/uoANL1N-5l8

Think it will take a mere mortal like me a long time to understand what drives people to such challenges. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
DB wrote:
Contact with Stangl was lost on Wednesday and people feared the worst.
This morning it was confirmed on Stangl's website that he was on the summit (took a few pics) and managed to get back to basecamp safely. His attempt took 70 hours although he only managed to sleep for short periods here and there. Congrats on being the first to summit K2 this season.

Maybe not... http://k2bottleneck.wordpress.com/2010/08/26/torok-zsolt-believes-stangl-faked-his-k2-summit/
snow report
^ That is some really serious allegations about Stangl... (which I would like to think aren't true).

Swedish photographer Frederik Schenholm has posted a touching photographic tribute to his good friend Frederik Ericsson here.
Its really worth a look.

http://frippe.schenholm.com/#home

[img]http://iloapp.schenholm.com/data/_gallery//public/26/1281944229_resized.jpg?width=640&height=426[/img]
snow report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
^ That is some really serious allegations about Stangl... (which I would like to think aren't true)

More... http://k2bottleneck.wordpress.com/2010/08/25/serious-doubts-raised-about-christian-stangl’s-k2-summit/
ski holidays
Bode Swiller,

To be honest I did wonder how Stangl would prove he was on the summit of K2. I'd also like to think it isn't true and hope he did something very spectacular where other very skilled & experienced people failed. Let's hope the truth is proved either way.
latest report
Hope he found the bless of God... He should have it actually. Lets pray for him. Crying or Very sad
snow report
Partyboat123 wrote:
Hope he found the bless of God... He should have it actually. Lets pray for him. Crying or Very sad

there is no god... but that's a discussion for the Après Zone... rolling eyes
ski holidays
another article with comments from Stangl (before the accusations) here

http://www.explorersweb.com/everest_k2/news.php?id=19589

maybe this also requires a seperate thread in apres zone... Sad
ski holidays
just getting this thread back on track....Haggis_Trap, that's a great link, thanks for sharing. this for me, sums up what i've learned about the man...

[img]http://iloapp.schenholm.com/data/_gallery//public/26/1281976839_resized.jpg?width=920&height=613[/img]
snow conditions
It has been confirmed that Stangl didn't summit K2.
snow report
Quote:

It has been confirmed that Stangl didn't summit K2.

not good what a plonker, not how to win friends and influence people Evil or Very Mad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy