Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does the "Intermediate Plateau" really exist?

Poster: A snowHead
maggi, it's also how some people try to ski powder.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
easiski, Sounds so easy .... will just have to keep trying Sad it will come one day

maggi, Don't know how long that fear really lasts ... instructors soon demonstrate how difficult it is to fall 'forwards' ... so I can't even use that one anymore ..
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
maggi, sometimes it might be but not always, there's a whole host of reasons for a bad stance, a good instructor howver will be able to ascertain what's wrong and put it right, a bad instructor of course will do nothing Mad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
D G Orf, the funny thing is, I had been skiing maybe 15 weeks in Europe and North America before anyone even mentioned stance to me.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wear The Fox Hat, not having seen you ski I don't know how good or bad your stance was
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wear The Fox Hat, Ski teaching, like everything else in life is never static. Stance was less important with straight skis as we all pretty much stood on our heels and pushed the skis around anyway. Only the very best skiers in the world were really able to "carve" on those skis. Look at old films of heros like Stenmark - it's quite shocking!

However, as we're learning more about sport science, physiology and biomechanics, and with equipment now being designed to work WITH the human body, we're changing emphases all the time. With carvers, we're using the ski to work for us, so standing on the right part of our foot to allow this to happen has become much more important.

Basic stance problems now affect us in ways that it never used to, we've begun to realise it, and we've begun to address it.

Maggi, Leaning back can be caused by fear, but this fear can be overcome by technique. Once you stand correctly and in balance on your skis you feel so safe that you never look back. Having said that, any change in the way you ski must be practised on easy slopes until comfortable and then on a gentle progression of steeper slopes. If you learn something on a green, you can't immediately tranfer it to a black.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
D G Orf wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, not having seen you ski I don't know how good or bad your stance was

Just a few minor adjustments -
1. cuff cant - now they are both lined up with my legs centrally in them.
2. flex - angle grinder taken to the front of my cuffs to allow me to flex further forward
3. 1.5mm heel lifts to get the angle right when I'm on my Tyrollia bindings. This does mean I am further forward when on my Rossi bindings, which are on my Pistols. This, in turn, has had the knock-on effect of making my Pistols easier to get into a carve on piste. snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Leaning back... ? I generally think if my shins are complaining that is ok. Bend zee knees, flex the angles, drop the hips, should all be getting the skier into the right position but if they can't recognise the right position it may not help much. I actually think it is easier to 'cheat' on carvers as the skis are turning machines by comparison, hence no poles for lots of people. On old 2m planks you had to work the ski. And of course, they were pretty crap by today's standards. I would hate to be on them now but it would be interesting to see how I now skied on them. I would probably bin them after 1 run..!!! Although I maintain great memories of the old Superforce 3s as it started me on the road to what I do know...!!

And race stiff boots are no joy for everyday skiing so forget about them unless you race...!!
They will harm your stance as much as anything else IMO.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JT, Dropping the hips is out nowadays! Hips over centre/ball of foot - stand on your BALLS!!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski,

Yes, I just included them as sayings of the day, and as for the other, I can just hear you screaming that all over the mountain...!!!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Isn't leaning back caused by fear of the steep (to a beginner) slope?

I'm not convinced that it is, or at least not totally. The simple fact is that if you walk down a slope, you have to "lean back" or you would fall flat on your face. As a beginning skier, your brain / nervous system has not had sufficient experience to convince it that "leaning back" is not necessary when going down a slope with long planks stuck on your feet; indeed, not only unnecessary but counter-productive. As the newly learned motor skills start to become "second nature", the unconsciously perceived need to "lean back" tends to disappear.
Now who wants to talk about why beginners hold their arms the way they do? wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
[quote="easiskiHaving said that, any change in the way you ski must be practised on easy slopes until comfortable and then on a gentle progression of steeper slopes. If you learn something on a green, you can't immediately tranfer it to a black.[/quote]

I know what you mean. My stance seems to vary from ok to totally crap with no inbetween. I just wish that I could sense it when I sit on my heels hehehe
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Easiski said <Telling people to lean forward, without explaining HOW to lean forward is not remotely helpful. The ususal result is shoulders forward and down and bottom back and down - worst thing possible. You need to keep your hips forward and stand up as D G Orf, says, but flex the ankle. >

That's my problem. So what you are basically saying is lead with our genitals? hehehe Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarpa, not exactly Laughing , starting at the ski, your ankles should be bent foward so that your knees are more or less above your toes, then your knees should be bent so that your hips are above your ankles (not behind them which is the sitting on the toilet position wink ) now for relaxed skiing your body should be roughly upright from the hips so looking from the side you could draw a line perpendicular to your skis from your ankles through your hips to your shoulders, for faster skiing you compress your body more so that your knees ankles and hips are bent more dropping the body closer and closer to the classic "egg" shape used by the down hill racers, at all times your center of mass should be above your feet.

I'm sure if I've got that wrong Alan or Charlotte will correct me wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
easiski.... It's like people who always buy the same brand of car, or always order the same wine, or same meal at restaurants.

That's not the kind of person I am. Yes, I have food and wine that I like, but I also enjoy trying new and different things. I guess some just stick to Chicken Maryland and Chateau Neuf du Pape.
Know what you mean, but supply me with enough 1990 Romanée Conti La Tâche to last a lifetime, and I'll happily drink nothing else. I'll even give up water!
snow report
D G Orf, That's fine, but knowing Scarpa, thinking about leading with his genitals will probably work!!!

Alan Craggs, Yes but ......... If you walk down a very steep slope you'll find that although you lean back the pressure in on the balls of your feet if you wish to walk slowly. You also flex your ankle quite strongly. Most leaning back skiers have the pressure on their heels which = no control. To run faster down the hill you'll find that you lean forward, keep perpendicular to the slope and still have the pressure on the balls of your feet (and now your toes as well). Now, try to run down the hill in loops and you'll find that the slower you wish to go the more pressure you put on your balls (of feet) and the more you flex your ankles. When you attack the turns you lean more down the hill and project more into the turn. Try it (but not on the dendix)! Very Happy Very Happy

Beginners and their arms ...... had one at the weekend who held them as though he was taking a picture with a camera! Puzzled Puzzled
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
They are happy to be where they are, believing they are great skiers, and would feel insulted if someone suggested they take a lesson to improve - this occurs in people who have learned on straight skis, and now own more shaped ones, but still ski with their boots locked together and skidding most turns. It's not a case that they are skiing badly, but they could ski so much better, if only their ego would let them.

I loosely fit that description but it's not ego, it's lack of time as much as anything. It's easy for you with your multi-week skiing winters to devote lots of time to technique. With a couple of young kids, for the last few seasons I've been scraping the odd day at home and some short trips abroad. I get on the hill just bursting to get out there skiing. I know my technique's a bit rough but I'm having too much fun and there's always a wee procrastinating thought there, "I'll get this sorted next trip".

Anyway this winter, with hopefully a few more days on snow, I am resolved to get my 80s throwback technique up to date wink
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

It now seems there are two IPs..

Looking at the conversation, maybe there is another way of dividing people on the IP:

1. Those who know they are on a plateau

2. Those who Wear the Fox Hat deems to be on a plateau

wink

My view - I'm not sure how useful a phrase it is. There is a limit to everyone's ability, no matter how hard they work. Don't think I've found mine yet, but I don't think I'll ever be as good as Hermann Maier Sad . There are also differences to what people want to get out of skiing. If people don't want to improve, why force them? There are also plenty of people around who give it the big chat but aren't actually very good. etc etc

So I think maybe I end up with Easiski on this one. There are lots of reasons why people stop improving and saying they are all on the intermediate plateau doesn't really help understand why or what to do (if anything) about it
latest report
Scarpa wrote:
So what you are basically saying is lead with our genitals? hehehe Laughing
One of the favourite mantras of my first proper instructor (idiosyncratic old school), when initiating turns, was "Point your willee down ze 'eeel. Laydees....make somesing up!"
snow report
brian, No-one could call you an intermediate skier! You're definitely in the advanced category. Your reasons for not having addressed your "old schoolness" are valid reasons and not excuses. Very Happy Very Happy

I do think that WTFH, is using the term "intermediate plateau" in a slightly different way from the majority. most of the time when you hear someone say they're stuck on it, upon questioning it turns out that they haven't had lessons for a good while. When you're a novice, to a certain degree you'll improve with just getting in some miles and lifting your comfort zone. However there comes a point when you don't have enough technique to do more difficult things and need to learn the next stage. Sadly, many holiday skiers never understand (or are not told), that there are new things to learn to enable you to ski safely on more difficult pistes. they believe that week one is all you need. In consequence we get large numbers of poor skiers doing blacks and putting the rest of us in danger!
latest report
easiski, In the true spirit of the intermediate plateau, do you not think there is a natural level for each person where the pace of progress slows, maybe a sort of naturally enforced consolidation period, before they can once again improve significantly?
ski holidays
Arno, I don't think there is an absolute limit, but eventually you get to a point where the marginal improvement per hour spent becomes very small. One point of the thread was that I wanted to make sure that my opinion was not unique - that people using the IP as an excuse for not getting better, while claiming that they wanted to improve - was bogus. So your statement is absolutely correct.

slikedges, I would guess there's a lumpy learning curve, I'm now looking for my next "breakthrough" moment to get over my current flat spot.

easiski, I still agree with your opinion. I'm just pleased that I can be quite firm in my responses when someone tries to use "it" as an excuse for not getting better, not taking lessons, etc.

I don't agree that only the best skiers in the world (BSITW) could carve on skinny skis though. I humbly submit that I carved some really sweet non-skidding arcs out of my 7Ss in 1989...and I'm certainly not one of the BSITW, etc. Admittedly a bit more control input was required...

brian, I see your point, but wonder whether just one little hours instruction might not reap terrific rewards. I know some teachers will do an hours private lesson from 0800hrs which might not get in the way of anything else (except the alpine hangover)??

Wear The Fox Hat, I have to comment, sorry. Just how much adjustment do you do to your kit? Crikey, don't you think it suggests you should buy kit that works straight out of the shrink wrap? snowHead

JT, why would race boots do anything to your stance? My race boots are totally joyous for everyday skiing. maybe you have funny feet? wink

(apologies for the compound response)
latest report
David Murdoch wrote:
Arno, I don't think there is an absolute limit, but eventually you get to a point where the marginal improvement per hour spent becomes very small.

I think we're getting into metaphysics here wink
ski holidays
slikedges, No-one's learning curve is smooth. It's as previously mentioned on this thread, a series of terraces. Where and when the "leaps" come varies a lot as well. Re: carving - do try to look at the old videos. It was very rare to see the beginning of the curve carved. The end, yes, but almost everyone actually "turned" the skis to some degree. I thought I carved too - until I got carving skis!!!

David Murdoch, I think there is an absolute limit for most people in terms of skill. Not everyone has the actual ability to ski to top level, after that there's the question of time and dedication which is a bit different. I will never be as good as, say Rosie Mittermaier (someone of my generation) because, sadly I don't have that much talent (and not enough dedication etc either). I'd like to be, but goals must be achievable.

Race boots are generally very stiff and not particularly comfortable - in fact if they're the real thing they bl**dy well hurt all the time. I'm currently on Flexon Pros (which could be considered a race boot, but having skied on the real thing I know they're not!)

Brian did exactly that when they were out here - one run down the glacier pinched from the kids' lesson to give him some idea of where to go - but he's a pretty good skier anyway.
snow report
David Murdoch wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, I have to comment, sorry. Just how much adjustment do you do to your kit? Crikey, don't you think it suggests you should buy kit that works straight out of the shrink wrap? snowHead

It's like "why have adjustable seats in cars?" Because everyone is different!

Ski boots are designed to fit reasonably well. But to get them fitted very well to your feet will take work.
Then there is the difference in ramp angles in bindings, so, for example, you may be perfectly balanced on Rossi Axial 120Ti bindings, but when you are on Tyrollia bindings, you'll find you are in the back. This is because Rossis tend to have a greater ramp angle, but Tyrollias are fairly neutral.
(we're getting into the real nitty-gritty here, but getting things done right does have a pay off)
latest report
David Murdoch wrote:
brian, I see your point, but wonder whether just one little hours instruction might not reap terrific rewards. I know some teachers will do an hours private lesson from 0800hrs which might not get in the way of anything else (except the alpine hangover)??

David, I agree totally - and I find that taking lessons can also be part of the fun of the holiday, and not a chore, or something you don't have time for.
snow report
 brian
brian
easiski, thanks. I was kind of mentally putting myself on at least a semi-advanced plateau Very Happy

David Murdoch, easiski has pointed me in the right direction and I will be doing an hour or 2's instruction this winter once I've had a chance to practise a bit. It's not just the time for a lesson though, when you set out to improve something you require a fair bit of mental concentration and sometimes a couple of painful backward steps to go forward. I remember getting some golf lessons a few years ago after years as a happy hacker and while it did pay off, getting used to a "correct" grip and something more like a decent swing felt completely alien for a good while and I had to think hard every time I picked up the club.

Sometimes you just want to ski, if you know what I mean. It's a freedom thing.
snow report
brian, I do know what you mean!

Wear The Fox Hat, adjustable seats in cars is a bit like adjustable buckles on boot, non? I see what you mean but frankly hadn't heard of ramp angles until this forum. Maybe that's why I don't like my girlfriends P60s with Marker bindings? Fair point re getting things perfectly right though.

easiski, re carving, OK you might have a point. I can't visualise how I turned 8 years ago well enough to argue, but I'm sure you're judgement on this is better than mine!

Although, are we talking about slightly different things? Properly carved turns on skinny skis vs hanging on for the ride and letting shaped skis do all the work? wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch,

I think very stiff Race boots would not work for a recreational skier as they may not be able to generate enough pressure to drive through the boot and this could hinder your ability to set your stance.

If you can't flex the ankles or bend the knees - whichever you prefer, because the boot is too stiff then that will set you back in your stance or hinder it.
Of course, if you ski fast enough then you may well generate enough force to ski a race boot. I tend to use the term Race to apply to professional racers and their kit, not what I call the marketing term 'race'. But if you can bend a race boot then no problems with using them.
I need a balance between comfort and peformance and my old Lange's were not at all comfortable...so I don't use very stiff boots anymore
snow report
David Murdoch wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, adjustable seats in cars is a bit like adjustable buckles on boot, non? I see what you mean but frankly hadn't heard of ramp angles until this forum. Maybe that's why I don't like my girlfriends P60s with Marker bindings? Fair point re getting things perfectly right though.

Well, you might not like her skis if the bindings were mounted forward (i.e. in the position more appropriate for female CoG)

But back to the seat analogy...
The buckles on a boot are like moving the seat forward and back, and changing the angle of the seatback.
What I'm talking about is raising or lowering the seat height, changing the lumbar support, moving the headrest, and (though this isn't part of the seat), moving the steering wheel.

The next level up from that is to go to a racing seat - moulded to fit your body, with a 5 point harness instead of a seat belt, etc, but since I'm not racing, I don't have that level of ski boot.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, What you say about ramp angles and so on is perfectly valid, and adjusting everything to suit you personally is definitely a bonus, especially when you ski a lot (I have conformable inner boots in the Flexons - cost an arm and a leg, but great). However all this stuff helps, but does not replace correct stanace etc. It may help you to achieve it, but if your stance and balance are good enough you should be able to pick up any boot/ski/binding mix and do it! (I don't say I'm in that league though!)

Years ago I remember Iain Finlayson ski-ing down the Cas on absolute sheet ice, soing beautiful turns when the rest of us were barely able to stand up. It later transpired that he was using an old pair of downhill skis that hadn't been sharpened or waxed for at least 3 years!! Wow!!
ski holidays
What is this with the female 'centre of gravity'? Is it proven to be different to a man's ? By how much ? Presumably they used a girl with a big bum and a nice slim guy ? What about a guy with a beer gut? Little Angel
ski holidays
erica2004, the female CoG is lower and forward of the male, due, mainly to the pelvis.

Here's a slightly exagerated picture which shows it...

http://biomech.ftvs.cuni.cz/pbpk/kompendium/biomechanika/images/teziste.gif
ski holidays
easiski, ooooh, that must have been fun to watch. Big grins in front of my screen at the thought of it!

Wear The Fox Hat, nope, the bindings are mounted as normally directed. But... I feel centred on my Rossis whereas I have to move the sweet spot a bit forward on her P60s. No big deal, just not automatic (but then I've skied "centred" on Rossis for ages). Had no issues (as it happens) on Stocklis SL and GS skis last season with Vist bindings which I THINK have no added ramp angle (???)

And OK, take your point about fully adjustable seats, just not all cars have em. What you're doing is removing the seat, replacing the rails in a different place, moving the dashboard, etc... (I think). But, you're right. If you were optimising your car for performance and could do those thing, then you would wouldn't you... I guess I just haven't got round to it.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, I see from your diagram that the boy's centre of gravity is just where you'd expect it to be!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, who's in the picture? I think it's Betty Rubble and Elvis Presley.
latest report
easiski wrote:
However all this stuff helps, but does not replace correct stanace etc.

How would you suggest correcting stance?

And yeah, the boy's CoG is interesting (as is his stance!)
snow report
My problem is that I can 'let go' and go fast on milder slopes but put me on a steep slope and I am always in snowplough trying to go slowly and not 'letting go' and it is the fear that's holding me back, fear of going faster and steeper. It's the fear of getting outside the comfort zone, and for me, fear of the unknown.
I think fear is a real problem and I wish there was a magic way to make it go away - it really does hold me back in all areas of life when my 'fear of the unknown' stops me from doing things I want to.
Just my little view on things there
julia snowHead
snow report
crazy_skier_jules, get someone to show you how to traverse a steep slope, that should make it easier for you
ski holidays
D G Orf, thanks
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy