Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sion/Saas Fee

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm a novice here, but here goes .... Confused I'm getting myself organised for next Christmas, and really want to go to Europe rather than trans -atlantic given that's it's only for a week. I'm trending towards Saas Fee to keep all the family happy (especially me). It's quite a trek from Geneva, and see that Sion is the most convenient. Trouble is I can't seem to find any online operators offering bookings there. Am I just too early, or am I looking at the wrong sites? Any advice would be much appreciated. Also, being a novice, I would also appreciate advice on Saas Fee. Should I be reasonably certain of decent snow conditions between Xmas and the NY? Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You'll struggle to find flights, I think Swiss fly to Heathrow and they have some good prices. However, I'd not worry, it's not that far from GVA, you can get the train which is probably the easiest. Saas Fee does have good snow alough it can be a bit cold. Zermatt miht be a worth a look as well.

Welcome !!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Did the trip to Saas earlier this year - cheap flight to Geneva and train to Visp, then post bus up to Saas. Ticket from Geneva airport covers the flight and post bus and it all works seemlessly. Lovely train journey around Lake Geneva! All very easy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
welcome to snowheads, noggy.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
noggy, welcome to snowHeads!

If you do Geneva-Saas Fee by rail make sure you buy the special flat-rate return transfer ticket in London. I think you can catch the post bus from Brig too, where more trains stop. You're sure of snow on the glacier, but won't be certain of snow to the village - Christmas always carries snow risks, even in high resorts, but you should be OK.

Saas Fee's a lovely place.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all. Just checked out the Swiss Rail website - it's very impressive - even showing the walk to the bus stop from the railway station at Visp.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The last time I went to Saas Fee I asked the rep why the flights did not go to Sion. She said that the runway wasn't long enough for large charter sized planes used by the tour operator/ I don't know how accurate that is, but I recall it looking on the small side when comapred with most other airports I've seen.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Geneva to Zermatt via Visp about £80 return by rail.
4 hours.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Never tried it, but Swiss have been flying Heathrow - Sion once a week during the winter, Saturdays. And maybe FlyBe from Southampton?? Believe the bus transfer about 1.5 hrs.

Given its altitude it should stand as much chance as any of snow, although Christmas can be quite iffy. Have been to Saas a few times in February; have read that earlier in the season it can feel cold as the village remains in shadow.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
T-Dub wrote:
Geneva to Zermatt via Visp about £80 return by rail.
4 hours.

That's the point. If you buy the Swiss Transfer Ticket, which is valid from any border point/airport to your destination and back it's a flat rate of £57 (as far as I know that's the current price)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We were in Saas Fee over New Year 2004-2005, here are my thoughts:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=110802

Although it is a fair way from Geneva the road transfer isn't bad - it is a main road until you leave the main valley. We did it with Inghams by coach and took about 3 hours. The village does get a bit of sunshine in the deep mid-winter. Saas Fee has one of the higher chances of having snow at that time of year - which is why we went. Initial arrival in the village is rather scary since it is surrounded by 13 +4000m peaks. The ski=ing above the mid-station is fine for novices / intermediates and the nursery slopes in the village are nice and relatively long. The run down from the middlestation to the village can get a bit grim - it is a pretty tricky blue and gets busy towards 1pm as the ski school closes.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The flights that I've seen to Sion usually involve a change at Zurich. As others have said, the journey from Geneva isn't bad. There's also one of the Italian airports that is a similar distance away (Turin, possibly?)

I was at Saas is February and it was very cold.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
paulburnham, no, not Flybe from Southampton (bluddy bugs did a deal with Thomson for use of their flights to Chambery, which hiked prices to there for the rest of us as well as transfer times Mad .
Of a Saturday, if you're lucky, Flybe goes to Geneva, and Salzburg, but not Sion.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
noggy, There is one flight a week run by Swiss International from Heathrow to Sion on Saturday at about 1pm. I took this at the end of Jan, seduced by the short transfer times........or was supposed to. As noted above, the runway is rather short so they can only run smallish planes in but the main problem is variable winds in the Rhone valley.

This particular day they reckoned the winds were too high and the airport was closed. The outbound flight thus came to LHR from Geneva, but told us at checking it would be over 3 hours late (as they had to bus the passengers from Sion to GVA). Eventually we left at about 5.30 - flying into GVA and finally made it to Sion over 7 hours late at 11pm. As all public transport had stopped by then I ended up having to take a CHF190 taxi fare to my resort (Grimentz) and another family ended up taking a taxi to Crans-Montana. There were regular TO buses (Inghams IIRC) to Saas and Zermatt waiting for the incoming trip, that I assume a DIY chappie could have bummed a lift with to either of those resorts. The taxi driver said this was a fairly rare occurrance (maybe one day in each season) - but I'm not sure I believed him. Suffice it to say, I'll be using GVA in future, despite the inefficient cattle market that is their arrivals baggage handling system.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Noggy - try this lot http://www.otp.co.uk/skiing/index.html - organise accommodation in Saas Fee for very reasonable prices. Can arrange flights. Their website mentions Sion but I have a feeling it`s only open for part of the year.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy