Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Compression clothing - great or tosh?

Poster: A snowHead
Last season I bought some new silk base layers (GBP100 for two complete sets) but whilst looking around saw the latest in wonder technology (if you believe the blurb) compression clothing capable of keeping me warm, dry and skiing with tigger-like bounce the whole week through at the bargain price of GBP100 for a single set. On the other hand http://wellness.blogs.time.com/2010/06/03/do-compression-clothes-really-impact-sport-performance/?xid=rss-topstories offers a different opinion from the equally scientifically questionable testing.

So have you tried compression clothing and if so what is your verdict?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No amount of high tech clothing will improve my skiing Madeye-Smiley however I bought some under armour coldgear stuff for last season and found it comfortable, good wicking properties and dried quickly. I wore the top underneath a midlayer fleece and a hardshell whilst I only wore my ski trousers over the bottoms and never felt cold at anytime. Did my muscles recover more quickly through being under compression? I really can't say, maybe I fooled myself into thinking that they did. Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I use skins after skiing/gym sessions but don't think they would be warm enough to ski in!!!! May be wrong though as I've never tried! Do think they help with recovery though!!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wear compression tops for running. I have two different types - one is tight to the point where I can feel that I have to work harder in my breathing. There's a marked difference between this one and the other, which is not so tight and is worn because it's comfortable (no bleeding nipples, under-arm chafing, wicks very quickly). I also use compression shorts, but during the summer that's just for preventing chafing, and in winter also for keeping me warm.

I didn't pay anywhere near £100 for them, and I bought them for properties other than the claims about the compression.

The study in the Time article seems a bit dumb - four minutes at each pace isn't enough to determine how effective a piece of equipment is.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I use UA and found the same as halfhand. They make a decent base layer but I have no idea if it helps muscle recovery. Maybe if I was in a lot better shape then it might have an effect.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think there is something in the science behind stufff like recovery socks - after all they are essentially the same as DVT compresion hosiery designed to keep blood circulating. I offer the example that the Astana team all seemed to wear them after every stage of the TdF last year. I looked at compression tights for skiing and decided against on the basis that I could get all the warmth and joint placebo "support" from a couple of tubigrips at much lower cost/inconvenience. I am almost certain they won't lead to a significant skiing performance improvement other than through placebo effect.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I got some cheaper compression style under clothing from Lidl and liked it so much for skiing in (under the outer layers of course) that I went back and got some more the following year. I find it's warm and supportive, doesn't hinder movement and I tend to think that it just gives a slight support against muscle injuries occurring. I really miss mine when I take it off after skiing.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Warning - too much info about to be imparted

One downside to compression bottoms is going for a crap, your boots stop them going down far enough to get your legs in a comfy position.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Like Megamum I got the cheap stuff (though mine's from Aldi). Used it at the EOSB 2009 for skiing in and thought it was fine. I also use it as a baselayer for cycling.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
tiffin, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I wear compression tights for skiing, hiking and gym on the advice of a physio, following some soft tissue injury issues. So comfortable, I wouldn't be without them. I use linebreak leggings, latterly well-priced at Amazon, and Asics socks - which I use as ski socks and walking socks - from Cycle Sports UK.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hurtle, It's worth trying the tops too, you might get on well with them if you like the leggings. Added advantage of both the tops and the bottoms is that they hold in all the wobbly bits and you almost drop a dress size Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've recently bought some bottoms and I'm finding them great for motorcycling. Easier to get my leathers on and off and stop my legs/feet from going numb and getting swollen. I'm guessing they might just do the same thing with skiing too! Bargain purchase from Decathlon for £15-ish.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i use Skins leggings and find them warm and comfortable (but same issue as tiffin, ). I would say they do help a bit, but difficult to really do a proper "scientific" comparison from a subjective perspective (i.e. how do i perceive my levels of tiredness, performance, etc on day X with them vs how I feel on day Y without them) because I don't tend to do the same runs, intensity, amount of off-piste, in the same conditions on consecutive days, etc.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
oh, and they are around £70 a pair so not exactly cheap!
snow report
Megamum, I prefer wearing merino tops for skiing and walking, they apppear adequately to control my wobbly bits. And I just wear a grotty old t-shirt to the gym. Embarassed
snow report
fatbob, I wouldn't cite use by a sports team as validation for something. After all, look at what Cardiff Blues players are using. Dumbasses.
ski holidays
hyweljenkins, Shocked
Quote:
The formula is simple, yet effective; Power Balance holograms are embedded with
frequencies that react positively with your body's natural energy field to improve balance, strength and flexibility. When the hologram comes into contact with your body's energy field, the body interacts with the natural frequency stored within the hologram. The result is increased positive energy flow through the body.
Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
My great Gran used to wear support stockings, and she lived to be 104......
snow conditions
I've got a pair of those Skinz and I didn't find them warm enough, nor did I notice a difference in recovery wearing them. I found the seams running up the back of the legs uncomfortable too with boots on, but I do know they do a cropped variety which eliminates that problem.

I don't even take them with me when I go away now. I think the only way to ensure quick recovery times and all of that is to make sure you're in good nick, I'm sure the clothing on the top only makes a weeny difference if any and I think that might be pyschological, it's a bit different though if someone has got an injury or something and keeping it all compressed helps them as some have mentioned above.

I go back to my Hellys everytime. They weigh far less in your suitcase than the equivalent number of Icebreakers (260) I find, and I wear a fresh Helly every day-I know people who wear them and stink though, that doesn't seem to happen as often as people who wear Icebreaker. Either way, a freshie Helly for me everyday eliminates that possibility and I reckon they are the most comfortable thermals for skiing (Lifa). I am a bit biased though as even though they are not meant to, Icebreakers itch me a bit because they are wool, although fine wool and I've never got on particularly well with any wool. But Helly definitely weigh a lot less.

So it's no compression tights for me and Helly wrapped around my body Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

Hurtle, Megamum, I prefer wearing merino tops for skiing and walking

Have used both merino and compression/protection layers, so far the best we have come across is the Ortovox Merino Competition the best of both worlds,

have to add even tho I have a vested interest, the compression layer used by my son for a whole season had to go in a toxic bag before it went in the wash and even then it stunk the whole house out for a week. But I guess trying to get your seasonnaire son to wash base layers as well as a chalet really would be a result.
latest report
hyweljenkins wrote:
fatbob, I wouldn't cite use by a sports team as validation for something. After all, look at what Cardiff Blues players are using. Dumbasses.

Fair point but I consider that cycling & athletics are sports at the pinnacle of scientific application on how to gain a performance edge (legally or illegally).
ski holidays
Interesting responses - general impression is that some people like them but nobody believes it makes a huge difference to their performance. As VolklAttivaS5 said the most important contribution to performance is the fitness of the contents of the underwear rather than the underwear itself. Looks like I'm going to stick to Hellys or similar (smelly or otherwise).
ski holidays
MontriondSkier wrote:
Interesting responses - general impression is that some people like them but nobody believes it makes a huge difference to their performance. As VolklAttivaS5 said the most important contribution to performance is the fitness of the contents of the underwear rather than the underwear itself. Looks like I'm going to stick to Hellys or similar (smelly or otherwise).

I'm sure the compression variety ponk too if they are worn enough times without washing them Very Happy
snow conditions
Hi Skids!
Santa left me a Under Armour "Super Man" compression top yesterday ... I only asked him for a thermal top.

He cant get it right all the time but I'm not sure if I can wear this skiing!

I'll have to at least take it with me on my next trip so nobody is upset.

Has anyone got any positive stuff to say about this?
ski holidays
I wear compression tights during and after all exercise and do find they aid recovery, but not performance . I'm warm enough in them, but I always wear insulated ski pants.
They do pong, unlike merino.
I've never worn a compression top.
snow report
Hi Hurtle,

I've just been for a cycle ride wearing the Super Man top ....
I kept having this overwhelming urge to dash into a phone box and save the world.
ski holidays
@DrLawn, Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I received some Baw Bags baselayers for Christmas so there will be a change for me this year.
latest report
@halfhand, .. which ones did you get?
Happy Christmas!
ski holidays
Maybe coincidental but since I started using compression leggings in the gym I have not had any problems with pulled muscles. Also last year was the first year I've used compression thermals while skiing and I did feel better at the end of a full day skiing.

No need to spend a fortune. 18 quid or so for both top and bottom when Also or Lidl have them. Excellent quality although I do slightly prefer the Aldi set which appear to give more support. May be the effect of too much food though.....
ski holidays
Generally wear Merino wool when skiing or ski touring during the day. Use the compression gear as pyjamas at night while on ski/ski touring trips, seems to reduce muscle soreness / aid recovery. Stayed away from the blue or red as didn't want to end up looking like Superman or Spiderman so ended up with black (Batman).

http://www.theshirtdudes.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/565x500/3792e1346258422eb320f48364c017b1/a/l/always_be_yourself_batman_t_tee_shirt_tshirts_thumb.png
latest report
compression gym jams?
You must be joking.
snow conditions
DB wrote:
Generally wear Merino wool when skiing or ski touring during the day. Use the compression gear as pyjamas at night while on ski/ski touring trips, seems to reduce muscle soreness / aid recovery. Stayed away from the blue or red as didn't want to end up looking like Superman or Spiderman so ended up with black (Batman).

http://www.theshirtdudes.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/565x500/3792e1346258422eb320f48364c017b1/a/l/always_be_yourself_batman_t_tee_shirt_tshirts_thumb.png

Think there must be something too this. If I overdo the leg press i find that some compression leg warmers aimed at joggers prevent my knees from swelling
snow conditions
DrLawn wrote:
compression gym jams?
You must be joking.
No. If my legs are extremely sore, I will wear mine overnight, they keep muscles warm and stop them stiffening up. Shocking passion-killers though and it's not for nothing my physio refers to them as boil-in-the-bags. wink
snow conditions
DrLawn wrote:
compression gym jams?
You must be joking.

Not at all .....

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/compression-gear-soreness

http://boxlifemagazine.com/does-compression-gear-really-work/
ski holidays
DrLawn wrote:
@halfhand, .. which ones did you get?
Happy Christmas!

Mondrian and Day Of The Dead Toofy Grin Toofy Grin .
ski holidays
I started using Skins when suffering badly with muscle recovery after hard skiing in my late thirties. They seem to make a very significant difference for me and I always use them.

However, mine are quite a tight fit and I think this is the key thing.

Also, I never wear them as the base layer because they make me feel colder when I do that, but they are an early version that was not specifically designed for snow sports. A thin merino wool baselayer with Skins on top works very well for me, but I have skinny legs and like to keep them really warm when skiing.
latest report
Well, I swear by my compression supports for my knee as it stops my knee tendinitis from getting worse as even constant minor shocks can create micro holes in your tendons which over time eat away at your knees.[/url]

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 22-02-16 13:48; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I started to wear compression socks for running about 6 months ago and I think it has helped - seem to get less tightness and soreness in my lower legs/achilles etc. Difficult to say for sure because I've lost a bit of weight and it could also just be random. I followed internet advice and got them a size small so they are pretty snug. Seems to me that calves/shins and running is an area where they can have most impact - less convinced by the need/value on upper body for skiing!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy