Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The all new 10/11 Weather Outlook thread

Poster: A snowHead
After all, only 209 sleeps to go.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Until what date though?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

until what date though?

good question. After all, until we know whether you're going in early or mid January, how are we to tell you how much snow there's going to be?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ghost Dog, and they have just finished skiing in Scotland snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Laughing Boredsurfing,no we haven't
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And here again...

- A rather early prediction for 2010/2011 which possibly breaks the three day rule but...

"at the moment it looks as though there is a high probability that next winter will again be colder than average." www.theweatheroutlook.com/

- And another early prediction by Bastardi, who says next winter in Europe is going to be... cold,

"by the way... Winter looks cold again this year..." ( www.accuweather.com/ukie/bastardi-europe-blog.asp ).

Bastardi of course is fairly keen on the cold story and sometimes rather 'direct,' but another vote for cold anyway and only a few BBQs into summer...

- And an update from Bastardi's blog today

"I am expecting much of Europe to average below normal this winter with temps as much as 3c BELOW normal in Scandinavia and south into the Balkans. Western Europe is up for grabs and may be closer to normal... not as bad as last year. Moral is the farther east you live, the worst things may be."

Good for Austria?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sounds like Scotland could be freezing (Scandinavia) or baking (Western Europe).

Flip a coin.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I thought that 209 sleeps from 7 June was a pretty accurate indication of when I was going!

First trip anyway, it's 234 sleeps to boys' trip.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hot and sunny today, but peering a bit further forward some more suggestions there might be another cold winter on the way...

Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
And another this time Japanese seasonal forecast suggesting continental Europe and Western Canada and Alaska could have a colder than usual December, January and February...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
Moral is the farther east you live, the worst things may be

So he's saying cold is bad?! Does not compute.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A round up by BBC forecaster Paul Hudson Global temperatures: Set for a sharp fall?.

And for what it's worth Solar Cycle 24 continues to stutter...

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 24-07-10 11:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My vote would be for loads of snow!!! and maybe the odd bit of sunshine to enjoy the immense powder days!!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Interesting summary of several factors which could point in the direction of a cold winter coming up. Feels like a bit of a one sided assessment and the mini ice age theory is quite politicised, but food for thought...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nozawaonsen wrote:
A round up by BBC forecaster Paul Hudson Global temperatures: Set for a sharp fall?.

And for what it's worth Solar Cycle 24 continues to stutter...

One of the charts suggests Scotland and Scandinavia will be warmer than usual in Winter 2010 / 2011.

If correct, Scotland is in a for a rainy, not snowy, Winter.
ski holidays
will there be a dump of snow for the 3 vallees (not the welsh ones) for w/b 13th March, or should i postpone until the 20th!

Puzzled
snow report
I hope the UK is warmer than last winter. The temperature played havoc with our rugby fixtures.
snow report
Whitegold, yes if there is a trend it seems to suggest colder weather on continental Europe rather than the UK. Much of US looks like it could be warm too. Guess we'll see how the forecasts develop.
snow conditions
Quote:
One of the charts suggests Scotland and Scandinavia will be warmer than usual in Winter 2010 / 2011.

Like the global temperature anomaly charts from the Met Office in Feb, that showed Jan 2010 was well above average temperature for Northern Scotland!
latest report
A good round up of a number of Autumn 2010 forecasts on TheWeatherOutlook forum summed up for the UK as "most forecasts seem to be predicting a generally mild autumn with a lot of dry weather late in the season." [Gavin P]

Potentially a very strong La Nina now developing.

Joe Bastardi will be issuing his Winter 2010/2011 forecast for Europe during the week. It will be quite surprising if this does not forecast a cold winter. wink
ski holidays
keep us posted on the forecast, cheers.
snow report
Ah. My mistake. The forecast that has just come out is for the US not Europe. Though doubtless there will be a Europe one fairly soon...

If you are interested in Bastardi's US forecast his headline is that it will likely be colder and snowier than usual in the Pacific Northwest.

- "This may be a great winter for building the Pacific Northwest and Canada snowpack, which is opposite of last winter," said Bastardi.

- "Above-normal snowfall is predicted for the Great Basin region, the Northwest and northern Plains, while the South and Southwest will get less snow than average."

Which I guess fits with the developing La Nina...
ski holidays
Japan is gonna get pasted.
snow report
I recon (just a stabin the dark) that it will snow in Austria next season...
snow report
A sight for sore eyes Very Happy

http://www.alpineroads.com/passstatus.php
snow conditions
Right - I will be in Vallandry 9-16 April, could I have a detailed breakdown of forecast and snow depths please
snow report
TheWeatherOutlook musing that the increase in solar activity over the last two or three days and associated auroras might be a harbinger of a milder winter in the UK. Seems a little tenuous. Regardless a number of the forecasts above still have European cold more centred on the continent rather than to the west ie UK.

robboj, some good mid summer snow!
latest report
Good sprinkling up above about 2500m when the clouds cleared this morning. But this cold weather is holding back the ripening of the raspberries.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

holding back the ripening of the raspberries

Quite inappropriate discussion for this thread but our rasps are picked, jammed and pruned back already - I'm always amazed at how much produce is grown in the Alps considering the horrid chilly climate. Just point me to a corner where nothing grows at all (because of snow0 and i'll be happy.
snow conditions
Quote:

I'm always amazed at how much produce is grown in the Alps considering the horrid chilly climate.

Laughing this isn't "produce being grown" they're wild. The summer climate isn't chilly and horrid - it's drier and sunnier than the UK. Because it has been slightly chilly this year the local raspberries (at over 1500m) are not optimally ripe yet - we had to take a beautiful 20 minute drive down into the Hauteluce valley, at about 1100m, where it was easy to pick several pounds in about 30 minutes. the local ones will be perfection next week. Free, and organic. wink

In Albertville last week when we went shopping it was 32 degrees. Just had drinks with friends who've been camping and boating/wakeboarding on Lake Annecy. They were brown as berries and the water temperature is 22 degrees (ie considerably warmer than the sea off the south coast of the UK, currently about 18 degrees). They had a couple of duller days, and one stupendous squall across the lake, but mostly warm and sunny weather.

It's very exciting seeing a smattering of snow on the high mountains when you wake up in the morning though - reminds you that there will be a winter, and there will be snow. snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
Plenty of produce being grown in the gardens of Monetier each summer. Lots of veg plots. And it was over 30 C when we were there.
THings were certainly later than last year, as I picked raspberries that were growing through our fence last JUly, and the fruits were only just forming this year.
latest report
Hells Bells, one of the things I most enjoy is all the veg plots which around in the hills. as soon as the snow goes they're dug, then often covered in a big black plastic - to warm up the soil I suppose. Loads of lovely vegetables outside most of the "local" chalets, including one just over the road from us which, in winter, is sometimes almost entirely covered in snow. Having such a marked contrast in seasons - a proper winter, followed by a transformational spring and a proper summer, is one of the joys of this part of the world, compared to home, where sometimes it's difficult to discern what season you're in.
ski holidays
pam w, we seem to have slipped into a grey and gloomy autumn today.
snow conditions
Hells Bells, we seem to have slipped into the produce forecast rather than the weather forecast wink

Not that I'm complaining, of course, need something to read until November snowHead
snow conditions
An updated NOAA seasonal forecast. Still showing early winter colder than average on the continent and to the east, but UK looking at a warmer than average winter at least in this forecast.

Worth saying that despite temperatures on the continent looking lower than average, the precipitation is also looking lower than average.

But hey they're only forecasts wink (perhaps raspberries might be a better indicator?) it will be interesting to see what impact the jet stream will have over winter given how it appears to have been behaving this summer.
ski holidays
As flagged up on TWO updated Japanese seasonal forecast has warmer than average Winter for UK, colder than average for alps. Strong and long La Nina and heavy snow for parts of Japan. Good for everyone planning to ski in Japan this season Very Happy, perhaps less so for those skiing in Europe as precipitation is forecast to be lower than average across Europe.
snow conditions
nozawaonsen, as someone wanting to ski in Japan this season (if not actually planning yet wink ), could you be a bit more specific about the parts of Japan that are more likely to get heavier than average snow this season?!

I've been reading through some old analysis on snowjapan and an aussie forum, but my overall impression was that la nina basically had little predictable effect on precipitation (does make it colder though). I've not looked at the IDO (or all the other acronyms people seem to quote!), so I'm guessing these are more useful predictors of precipitation?

Ta!
ski holidays
nozawaonsen, I'll settle for that forecast.

White Xmas etc is all very nice but when the holiday is over and you are trying to live your life and run your business then snow here is just a pain in the a**e!

I know this may upset my fellow Scots but unless you can ski in Scotland midweek it is no fun at all!

As long as its cold and snowy in the Alps I'll be happy!
ski holidays
this summer the weather in the uk seems to be back to normal, gulf stream chucking a constant procession of frontal weather systems at the n.west of scotland, so if the gulf stream is back to normal that should produce a lot of precipitation in the old country but unfortunately high temps- rain!!! lots of it. cold further East ( the alps) but less precipitation...... not so many big powder days. sorry to be so gloomy,but that's my prediction her's hoping I'm wrong..
latest report
Just had 25mm of rain in 1hr this afternoon, so yes, the Gulf Stream is throwing us everything she's got!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy