Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stowe - Jan 2006, anyone been?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, my boyfriend and I are booking 2 weeks in Stowe for Jan next year...has anyone been that could give us any useful tips or reviews?

Inga
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Inga, your best bet is to go to epicski.com
There's a guy on there called "Oboe" who knows that part of the world well.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have you considered going to the West, Colorado, Utah. Wyoming etc as opposed to East Coast? From what I've read and experienced East coast US can be good, but also can be warm, rainy one day and freezing cold the next, which can lead to icy conditions.

regards,

greg
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Inga, I've been there in April and I thought the place was the nicest of the three resorts I skied in Vermont (the others being Killington - horrible - and Sugarbush - well worth a visit).

The only issue you need to be on guard about is the temperature in January. Get lucky!

Stay up near the lifts if you can. We stayed in a house which was part of 'Inn at the Mountain', as I recall. Fine accommodation, and reasonably priced.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We spent a week in Stowe in January. East coast skiing is kind of a crapshoot -- of course that's true everywhere but New England seems to be chancier. It can be epic with good powder and everything open. It can be rainy, icy, and pretty sketchy. We had 3 days when conditions were quite good, 1 day when it was pretty icy, and one night it rained hard followed by heavy snow. Days are pretty short and can be very cold. There are basically 3 areas. The main area is on Mt. Mansfield and offers everything from easy green runs to very challenging expert terrain. There's a gondola area, again on Mt. Mansfield that is linked to the main area. Very nice intermediate terrain off the gondola. Then there is Spruce Peak, not lift linked (linked by a convenient bus) which has mostly beginner and intermediate terrain. Stowe has improved snowmaking and the lifts, especially on Spruce. The area would be small by European standards but offers a solid 2000' of vertical. Stowe village is quintessential New England, it's very pretty with lots of interesting shops and excellent restaurants. There's not a lot of late night party action, so if you're into that I'd look elsewhere. But the Matterhorn and Shed are excellent for apres ski, and great restaurants. Also, you need a car to get the best of Stowe. We love Stowe but I'd have to say that the Rockies have a higher probability of good conditions that time of year.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Inga, what WTFH said ^^^, be sure to contact 'Oboe'. The Inn at the Mountain is convenient for the lifts when the mountain is fully covered but a longer walk from the village.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I stayed in Stowe a few years ago and had a great time but we were lucky with good snow and temperatures in late Feb (it rained one day). I dont know if I would want to stay for two weeks (I went down to Clearwater for second week rolling eyes ). Stowe itself is lovely with good restaurants and bars but is fairly quiet. Best to have a car. We didnt go into any other resorts but had enought to keep us going for a week. Hope you have a great time snowHead
Ben and Jerrys ice cream factory not far away, well worth a visit Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We have been to Stowe a couple of times, back of business trips I have been forced to endure in VT snowHead

As my wife does not ski the facilities provided at the 'resort' hotels realy helped to make the holidays work for us. The boy and I skied and my wife was never found wanting for something to do.

Not sure I could manage two weeks just skiing at Stowe, but if you have a car ( essential really ) then there are other ski areas within easy striking distance. It's a shame the link to Smugglers Notch no longer exists, it did the first time I went and you got a 'free' day there on your Stowe pass - but that's another story.

Skiing at Stowe goes from dead easy greens, the Toll Road, to pretty tough double black diamonds, the 'front four'. Be prepared for cold, but you can dress for this, layer up and get a face mask. Food on the mountain is pretty lousy but there are plenty of very good restaurants in and around the town. Night life is limited, it's not that kind of place.

We stayed at the Golden Eagle both times, which is pretty good. Liked the look of the Stoweflake, but couldn't jusify the expense at $1.40 ish to the £ - maybe could at today's exchange rate.

In summary, it's quintessential quaint New England, quiet, good skiing, cold, good restaurants, good for non skiers and more importantly is close to Ben and Jerry's for an ice cream fest Madeye-Smiley

CP
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looks like a fun place. See what they've got planned for this Saturday. $25 for a lift pass, BBQ, music, etc etc
http://www.firsttracksonline.com/news/stories/111264087426394.shtm
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy