Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bend over and place both hands on the piste!

Poster: A snowHead
And so it begins . . . http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1032472,00.html Shocked
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
?? Sum up please, I would rather read the Guardian or the Independent for free than pay Murdoch a fiver a week for the doubtful privilege of reading his version of the news on line! In fact I'd consider the first two far worthier causes should they ever become subscription based.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You don't think I pay for that bog-roll do you! (there are ways around the subscription Twisted Evil )
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PG wrote:
?? Sum up please.

Piste police to arrest durnken british yobs for getting leathered at lunch then skiing down the mountain at high speed, endangering the poor innocent continentals...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Masque, an interesting article. Good news and bad news. None of us want skiers careering down the slopes out of control sending the rest of us flying as they go, sober or drunk. But we the punters want no queues, fast lifts and lots of friendly restaurants all over the piste. The result is crowded pistes with one or two feeling rather merry after a couple of vin chauds, and an occasional idiot. As the article says: “One shot of grappa or whisky after lunch is one thing, but if you have a lot of grappa you lose control”. Anyone attempting a lot of grappa (foul stuff) has already lost control.

If you want safety, peace and quiet, and fun: go off piste. No crowds. Fewer idiots. (Those that try usually leave by helicopter.) The article suggests: "Off piste skiers will have to carry a “personal beacon” so that they can be traced if they get lost". I have no problem with this.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque, I'm curious! (Private message explaining how perhaps?!)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Masque wrote:
You don't think I pay for that bog-roll do you! (there are ways around the subscription Twisted Evil )

I'm registered in the site but have never had to pay - and can see the article fine. Is it something to do with being outside the country, PG? Or do newer subscribers have to pay?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Steven, Have just gone through the registration process and I eventually get to a payment page. Perhaps long-term subscribers' registrations are being maintained, as you suggest - although Masque seems to be suggesting there are ways and means...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The same as reported here
http://snowheads.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=625
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm with you PG - Murdoch is not getting a penny of my money. Grauniad and Indy for me.

From the summary, this seems reasonable - presumably this is in Italy? Anyone who ventures off-piste should have a transciever (and know how to use it) and a probe and shovel.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have no problems viewing it at all, and although I rmember subscribing (for free) agres ago I don;t hink I've logged in on this PC
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
went straight to the site, no request to subscribe and I know I've not registered on that site, read the story on the other link previosly, maybe it is if you're outside the uk Confused
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yesterday I had written a long post disagreeing of sort with the conclusions of the BBC reports, but it's gone!!!
Since I haven't saved it (wrote that on the heat of the moment) I won't repeat it.
I'll just say this:
In Italy there aren't only Italian skiers.
Watched on a german channel, some years ago, a report from Ischgl, where the conclusions were more or less the same, and guess what the offender were indicated as mainly German.
I think that the press has a good fun job stirring waters, sometimes. Do they think they're all on a perpetual crusade or something?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think that some regulation was bound, but, to me, the new law is already restrictive enough. Thank you, leave it tat that. No more, please
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That Times piece strikes me as suspect. What about this line:

"Breathalysers and speed cameras, already available in the United States, are likely to be introduced in Italy, Austria and France." Says who?

Not the sort of journalism to be expected of a paper with a (near) 300 year history.
snow report
nbt wrote:
I have no problems viewing it

Likewise. What's this about speed cameras in US? How the heck are you supposed to know how fast you're travelling? Doesn't it encourage the 'let's see who can get caught doing highest speed' type of idiot?
ski holidays
Mateo, I've just read the BBC report and have to agree with you. It did seem to be a bit anti-Italian (especially northern Italians) - not very balanced at all; I'd expect better from the BBC.
latest report
PG: use a UK address in the sign-up and only sign-up for the email updates, you'll need to enable cookies (but you can monitor which ones - careful 'cos they occasionally add new ones for their advertisers). The email links by-pass the registration db (I’ve ben told). Works for me, I used to get the ‘sign up to read message’ but not now.
If you’re dialling in through an FSP like Wannado, don’t use their browser try Opera or Mozzilla and use “Zone Alarm” to hide your IP address.
(Any other way would of course be completely illegal!)
Toofy Grin
snow conditions
What do people think about this?

"A sharp rise in the number of accidents has driven officials at Europe’s most popular resorts to consider draconian measures to restore order. Many blame booze-fuelled Britons for causing downhill mayhem."
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, I see what you mean. I have emailed the editor (online.editor@thetimes.co.uk) and asked him for the sources of the information.
latest report
Nice one, Jonpim. If you don't get an intelligible reply I'll be happy to join in.
ski holidays
As for speed camera, the Police tested it in Valle d'Aosta, and they showed it on TV, too, last december.
The policewoman explaining it, took good care to stress that it was only a test, just to see-out of curiosity- how fast people were sliding down the slopes.
She deined it would be used to actually clock people to fine them.
I tend to beleive it, becauset he law that has been passed on, makes no mentions of
parameters as "maximum allowed speeed" and so on...so it's left to the police jugdement (and to the ski instructors, who will be entitled to report people to the police).
Red Dave that's the way I see it too, I expected something better thought out from the BBC/TIMES.
As far as northern Italians, we have never got along tooo well with our southern brethren since the unification (back in 1861), so I wouldn't expect anything better. If BBC had in turn interviewd a northerner, most probably the tone would have been the same (accusing southerners), still, it's the old "Italy is the place where no one abide the law" tune that offends me.
snow report
"A sharp rise in the number of accidents has driven officials at Europe’s most popular resorts to consider draconian measures to restore order. Many blame booze-fuelled Britons for causing downhill mayhem."

As before, I think it's stupid to blame Britons or Germans or Russians or...whatever. If someone wants to drink himself senseless, on the slopes, what difference does it make which country they're coming from? I simply think stupid and unhealthy, and a danger to others.
Now, in the evening that's another matter. Again, if the drinker is not a danger to anyone else (driving a car, as an example, or becoming aggressive), well it's his/her health. I think it shameful to drink to that level, but well, everyone is entitled to his/her own fun. For me a- just one or max two- glass of nice red (Italian) wine at dinner, or a beer (be it lager, weizen or ale) is more than enjoyable. A sip of grappa or a bombardino or a Vin chaud/Vin Brule'/Gluehwein while on the slopes is also ok.
ski holidays
I hope no one's suggesting there isn't a binge-drinking problem in this country, or an even bigger binge-drinking problem when Brits go abroad, because there is.

A drunk skier is probably most likely to hurt himself or herself, rather than anyone else. It's probably best to be so drunk you fall over before the first turn. On another thread we discussed the ski rep who sustained serious head injuries sledding from the Krazy Kangaruh. Again I'd stress the importance of dissuading someone from sliding while drunk - they could end up dead, or a vegetable.
snow report
I'm all for speed cameras. I'd love to know how fast I'm going...
snow conditions
I'm wondering if there are studies showing whether or not the increase in binge-drinking (particularly among women, I understand) is disproportionately high in the UK compared to elsewhere in Europe? I know I've caught several reports on the BBC on this worrying trend in the UK, but I've never seen it mentioned over here (France).
ski holidays
Matteo, I appreciate your comments there, but I must confess that binge-drinking is something of a British trait. Not exclusively, but I think per capita (especially on the slopes) we may have a higher rate of infringement.

Of course, no stats to back this claim up, just a general feeling whilst on my trips around Europe. Everyone knows how to get drunk, but I think we are the best at getting really drunk, really quickly. Wow, shouldn't we all be proud?

Also, the *average* level of skiing ability is probably lower for Brits than other nationalities (that actually have these things called mountains). Therefore, a smaller amount of alcohol is likely to result in more disastrous skiing than a more experienced French or Italian skier.

Not trying to wind fellow Brits up, but I think they have something of a point...
ski holidays
masopa, Perhaps it's the high-octane, stress-laden lifestyles people are compelled to lead in the UK these days in order to 'succeed' socially and professionally... one of the reasons I came to France! Whatever happened to quality of life...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I ski better when i'm pished (no too pished though) as i am more relaxed. Plus if i crash i'm usually pretty relaxed about that too so don't hurt myself, i think you'll find that drunk people do better in accidents as they don't tense up before impact causing more harm than good usually.
snow report
Not so good for the people they hit though. Which I think you'll find is the point.
ski holidays
Beat me to it mark. I'll just add
snow conditions
Lol. Hey PG, whats the weather like there right now? Looks very snowy on the 1800m les Arc webcam...
snow report
Overcast, nothing coming down at the moment, but the weekend looks promising. Conditions have been great the past week or so for those capable of off piste, a few cms falling regularly to top up nicely. The kids have had a fantastic time mostly skiing powder in the trees. I however had to go to the UK then came back with the flu. Hope to be up there myself tomorrow or Friday though!
snow report
The_Mac_Daddy wrote:
I ski better when i'm pished (no too pished though) as i am more relaxed. Plus if i crash i'm usually pretty relaxed about that too so don't hurt myself, i think you'll find that drunk people do better in accidents as they don't tense up before impact causing more harm than good usually.

much the same nonsense used by habitual drunk drivers as a justification, maybe you need to be drunk for it sound even half way reasonable ?
snow report
I sing better when I'm drunk too...
snow conditions
A lot of the people on here look better when I'm drunk.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, well if you think you can see us right now, you must be drunk...!
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, that's your reflection!
snow report
Ian Hopkinson, you're right, cause I'm sober right now, but give me a couple of hours...
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, .....and you'll start fancying yourself. Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy