Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Could people be so kind as to suggest a European resort fro W/end 9th April?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Myself and a Friend are hoping for one last long weekend, we accept that the snow wont be brilliant but are looking for the best bet.

Does anyone have a good idea that they could share?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Flaine doesn't look too bad a bet. The webcams still look white ( www.flaine.com and www.grand-massif.com ) with lots of runs still open. Special offers for long weekends on that weekend are advertised on the website but if they're no good the rental agencies do short lets in off-peak periods (astrid immobilier is who I've used). The snow state is described as "wet" but they've had a dusting of snow recently and the temperatures are showins as below freezing. Flaine is pretty close to Geneva (Les Carroz is nearer but is lower so more risky?) and I've driven it in less than an hour and a quarter.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chris Reed, it's pretty good in Flaine - they had some serious depths there at altitude a while back and there's still 2m60 there today, 40 cms at resort.

Take a look at
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=47668#47668

in Resorts - it has resort info up to Tuesday (note Flaine has lost 5cms since then).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Italy's going have cooler weather over the next few days (not sure for the whole week) so that could worth a look. Also Austria (and points E & NE) have had some great snow (though again some warmer weatehr recently). Also, have a look at the Balkans who have had loads of snow over the winter. I haven't looked at snow depths myself, but my perception of what's fallen where would lead me to start looking with those areas.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers chaps

thanks for all the pointers!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kitzsteinhorn glacier @ Kaprun, Austria. (Fly to salzburg)
http://www.kitzsteinhorn.at/en/
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Engelberg: 2 hrs from Zurich by train and temperatures were below freezing on Titlis (3020m) when I was there on Sunday/Monday. The snow's also better than other resorts in the area and most of the runs are above 1800m
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chris Reed, get yer toe down man, it's easily under an hour to Les Carroz Very Happy

Paul Chittenden, there's a snowHead report here on the Flaine area.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
marc gledhill, But the roads are always covered in snow when I go there! Last time we were there we had snow on the road way past les carroz on the way down and it took us ages as we had to have chains on. Nealy missed the flight!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tenerife, avoid all that slush wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i have noticed, in the Annemasse shopping area, an advert for a big new gondola from Les Carroz right up into the Flaine bowl, so presumably that is now a good bet? The drive up from LC to Flaine was a bit of a bore.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There is a new gondola which was very comfortable but you need to do at least two more lifts to make it to Flaine. There is good skiing from this new lift (a straight replacement for an old 6-seater gondola) but you might not be able to ski back. Les Carroz looks nice but it's a bit spread out and we've always opted for the extra drive at the begining and end of our trip for the convenience and snow-sureness of Flaine.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Paul,i'm looking at going somewhere that weekend aswell.Keep me informed (& i'll do the same) of any deals you find.
I'm looking at Val T or D,Tignes etc.Though i would like to know about Norway as seen a deal on the Thompson website.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Simon (Mr T), Will do,

up4it, couldn't find that one? I did try Lanzarote at Christmas, I was very dissapointed no snow just rocks.

Regarding accomodation, for a short break of a few days is it best to search for a list of accomodation and book independantly / directly? Rather than looking for a "deal" on the websites?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Paul I'm planning a weeks trip though,but the resorts with good snow is my main concern.
Awaiting Snowforecast.com results for Sunday night to plan really.
ski holidays
Paul Chittenden, I'm going to Solden (Austria) that that weekend for a 5 day break. Snow is looking pretty reasonable at the moment.

Conditions are quoted as:
On piste: Good
Off piste: Spring
Resort runs: Heavy

There's 2 skiable glaciers and 3 skiable peaks above 3000m. Snow depths are 170cm at the top, 45cm at the mid-station (almost all skiing is above the mid-station); although the resort runs are getting very thin (15cm) but open. All slopes (bar two short beginers slopes) are open. Freezing level is due to stay beneath mid-station, and only 3mm of rain due at valley level over next week so conditions should up nicely to that weekend.

For more on Solden:
http://www.goski.com/rau/soll.htm
http://www.solden.com
snow report
I would have a short list of all the usual suspects, Val, VT etc - go high, that sort of thing, but I would be looking to somewhere like Engleberg if the weather is cold and you want off-piste excursions. 2hrs by train from Zurich, EUJET/Manston but you need to travel sat to sat or daily to Basel from Luton. Both trips recently achieved for about £45.00 return without skis. The Swiss train is a doodle and works out about £40.00 ret.
If you go Luton for 4 days or so, then get the early -0725 - flight to Basel and the 2130 return. The trains links work out ok with no real waiting.
Hint. do not get the taxi from Basel to the banhof...it is about 40sf...!! the tram is about 2.6sf...!!
snow report
kamikaze, Cheers
JT, thanks

Well after ringing around and trying to get accomodation we settled on flaine! - Living Friday morning - (syill got no where to stay friday night - so may have to drive back to geneva!) but staying till monday!

Conditions seem reasonable and it seems that there might be a dump soon!

Anyway thanks everyone for your help yet again
ski holidays
We are off to Chatel on Saturday 9th for a 5 day break, a last ditch hope of some skiing before the summer descends. If anyone has any news on conditions in the Porte DS area we would be grateful. Chose the resort because it is a freebie, well almost! We are packing our walking shoes and sun tan cream just in case - look on the bright side folks, even if the snow's bad, at least we may get a tan, and there's always the end of season sales in the ski shops....
snow report
sallyanne, looks like a good chance of fresh snow down to 800-1000m:

http://www.meteoschweiz.ch/de/Prognosen/Vorhersagen/IndexVorhersagen.shtml
snow conditions
Just booked Val Thorens for a week starting 9th Paul.
Any body else heading that way or know what the conditions are like?
latest report
Paul Chittenden, have just got back from doing the Vallee Blanche and while we didn't do anything else in Chamonix, our guide reckoned that conditions on the Grandes Montets were still very good.
snow conditions
Just an an update to my earlier post. Snow-forecast (for Solden) is predicting about 55cm mid-moutain and 80cm at the 3000m Thursday and Saturday. Bring on the fluffy stuff!
snow report
Ray Zorro, how was the VB?
snow conditions
Ray Zorro,

It also seems that some rain on Thursday will be turning into snow in the night and through Friday at 1650m. With the top getting 35 odd cm from Wednesday night!

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Flaine.0to3mid.shtml

We get there firday Midday till Monday so hopefully its just snow for us and no rain

So fingers crossed Toofy Grin
snow report
Got back last night

Thanks to Chris Reed, and PG, for teh tip off, we got there friday lunch time and had a few hours on the slopes before a mighty dump of snow came on Friday Night / Saturday, spent Saturday sking in poor visability and powder snow (my first experience!) before 2 glorious days of sun, nicely groomed pistes, and no crowds!!!

Superb! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
laundryman, only just seen this - it was great, thanks for asking. I put a reasonably full (for me) report under the thread " a great time to ski the vallee blanche ..." as that is where people had been so helpful (you included if I remember correctly) as I prepared for the trip.
snow conditions
Paul Chittenden, Glad to be of help. I've never been there when it hasn't snowed and usually it's dumped it down. You did well to get two days in the sun. In january we only had about an hour and a half! Where did you stay by the way?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris Reed,

We stayed in the Hotel Anjou, which is in Flaine Forum, whilst it seemed that all the hotels are close to the slopes, it has to be said that the town is a little ugly! especially compared to Saas Fee. However i went for the snow and the slopes and wasn't dissappointed! The mountain itself is pretty with a nice mixture of tree lined runs and wider open pistes.
snow conditions
Paul Chittenden, I know the Aujon. I haven't stayed there but I like the concrete fireplace! I know that Flaine isn't everyone's cup of tea but I think that it works so long as you're not expected a chocolate box village. I actually think that it has quite a good atmosphere with friendly resort staff, people in supermarkets etc. It does have a great snow record and excellent skiing with, as you say, a nice mix. Few dodgy drag lifts but otherwise I love the place. I'll have to wait until next year though.........
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy